[Report/Rumour] Elias Pettersson Contract Talks

Rubik

3 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Cap being tight also drives home the importance of being able to bring in RFA's and players on ELC's. I'm not expecting Lekkerimaki to make the jump next season but he could be a boon when he does, the Canucks need Podz and Raty to show they can be NHL'ers sooner than later.

At least Hoglander looks to be progressing.

I love hogs in the bottom 6 right now, his skill  vs teams lesser competion is a big bonus.

• Like 1

Just now, Coconuts said:

And/or Kuzmenko, if only to add a different element to the forward group 

Seems inevitable that we only keep one of him and Boeser anyway

Kuzmenko is not offering anything at 5.5 now 

hogz is breaking out 

Kuzmenko is redundant even when scoring 

9 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I love hogs in the bottom 6 right now, his skill  vs teams lesser competion is a big bonus.

Definitely, him playing bigger than his size helps too

Could find himself cementing a too aix spot in a season or two if he can keep building on his success

8 minutes ago, canucks curse said:

Kuzmenko is not offering anything at 5.5 now 

hogz is breaking out 

Kuzmenko is redundant even when scoring 

Him and Boeser are up for new deals the same offseason too

Between Hoglander, Boeser, Pettersson, and Miller there are skill options up front, Mikheyev is serviceable and adds a different element but I wouldn't call him a high skill option 

Adds speed and two way play though, complimentary elements

What the Canucks could really use, which other users frequently allude to, is a skill guy with more edge/grit to add yet another element up front

If Bertuzzi weren't such an oddball and his last name didn't have the baggage I'd wonder if he might not be a UFA option

Lekkerimaki should supplant someone at some point, Raty/Podz could too but I question whether they'll be top six guys 

Mind you, they could also use a more top tier skill guy to go with Pettersson and leave grit/edge more to their bottom six and D, depends on who is available 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Definitely, him playing bigger than his size helps too

Could find himself cementing a too aix spot in a season or two if he can keep building on his success

yep. For this year, I see him as really valuable when the playoff injuries hit. He's awesome in the bottom 6, but can take over if need be for a top 6 winger. 

Him and Boeser are up for new deals the same offseason too

Between Hoglander, Boeser, Pettersson, and Miller there are skill options up front, Mikheyev is serviceable and adds a different element but I wouldn't call him a high skill option 

Adds speed and two way play though, complimentary elements

its easy to forget about how little speed we had to give Petey's line before Mik arrived. 

What the Canucks could really use, which other users frequently allude to, is a skill guy with more edge/grit to add yet another element up front

If Bertuzzi weren't such an oddball and his last name didn't have the baggage I'd wonder if he might not be a UFA option

anything but this guy, he's a weirdo that would be a bad fit here imo. 

Lekkerimaki should supplant someone at some point, Raty/Podz could too but I question whether they'll be top six guys 

Mind you, they could also use a more top tier skill guy to go with Pettersson and leave grit/edge more to their bottom six and D, depends on who is available 

Allvin has done such a good job on the d that really we should only be looking at adding some more grit or size to the top 9. If it doesn't happen I'm happy to see what this group can do with no upgrades.

3 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

yep. For this year, I see him as really valuable when the playoff injuries hit. He's awesome in the bottom 6, but can take over if need be for a top 6 winger. 

its easy to forget about how little speed we had to give Petey's line before Mik arrived. 

anything but this guy, he's a weirdo that would be a bad fit here imo. 

Allvin has done such a good job on the d that really we should only be looking at adding some more grit or size to the top 9. If it doesn't happen I'm happy to see what this group can do with no upgrades.

Definitely, should hit 20 goals this year, which is a nice milestone 

I like Mik, he's a complimentary guy, that line needs a different element in the Kuzmenko slot though imo, give that line another top notch threat and Mikheyev being a middle six tweener is fine

Most teams don't have six bona-fide top six guys in their top six

Mikheyev reminds me of Hansen minus Hansen's grit and heart, both possess speed and defensive savvy

I wouldn't bring Bertuzzi in and I don't think he'd come here, but someone with similar hockey attributes could fit, those are tough players to find though which is why he probably won't have trouble picking where he goes next

D is still a work in progress imo, but it's good enough for the remainder of the season as is 

If they tweak anything I'd see what could be had in a Kuzmenko hockey trade

• ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Definitely, should hit 20 goals this year, which is a nice milestone 

I like Mik, he's a complimentary guy, that line needs a different element in the Kuzmenko slot though imo, give that line another top notch threat and Mikheyev being a middle six tweener is fine

Most teams don't have six bona-fide top six guys in their top six

Mikheyev reminds me of Hansen minus Hansen's grit and heart, both possess speed and defensive savvy

I wouldn't bring Bertuzzi in and I don't think he'd come here, but someone with similar hockey attributes could fit, those are tough players to find though which is why he probably won't have trouble picking where he goes next

D is still a work in progress imo, but it's good enough for the remainder of the season as is 

If they tweak anything I'd see what could be had in a Kuzmenko hockey trade

I feel like Mikheyev needs this upcoming off-season to fully recover from his knee injury and get his strength back completely. He doesn't seem to have the same jump as he did when he first started playing for the Canucks - I was starting to get used to see him beat guys wide on the rush, I haven't seen that this year at all. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

I feel like Mikheyev needs this upcoming off-season to fully recover from his knee injury and get his strength back completely. He doesn't seem to have the same jump as he did when he first started playing for the Canucks - I was starting to get used to see him beat guys wide on the rush, I haven't seen that this year at all. 

His having a healthy offseason, and a healthy next season, would likely go a long way 

He's had some tough luck here, but that's Canuck luck

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Agreed.  We need a 2C so Suter also moves to the 4th line to play against lesser opponents.  That's what depth does to other teams, the bottom 6 cause havoc.

Boeser-Miller-Petey

Mikheyev-2C-Kuzmenko

Garland-Blueger-Joshua

Hoglander-Suter-Lafferty (this line will eat up the other team's lesser competition)

That's ideal for what we could accomplish for this season.

I mean, Allvin already brought in Soucy, Zad, and Cole on top of Hronek last year, but we're all "we want more!!" 😭

• ThereItIs 1

27 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

That's ideal for what we could accomplish for this season.

I mean, Allvin already brought in Soucy, Zad, and Cole on top of Hronek last year, but we're all "we want more!!" 😭

management doing amazing work

they identify needs then the correct players to fill them and then they work their magic and get those players.

Hronek IMHO not playing like a >7 mill D man right now, some bone headed plays creeping into his game, now off the hot pace of points he was on but still good, I think 6.75 mill reasonable but of course he wants more, what are his comps? He's a no. 2 d man.

Zads- struggling a bit, now over 4 million seems unreasonable when Cole, Myers and Soucy are playing ahead of him - Soucy actually a great comp- can give lads term though something like 3.5x5 years.

Just now, canucks curse said:

management doing amazing work

they identify needs then the correct players to fill them and then they work their magic and get those players.

Hronek IMHO not playing like a >7 mill D man right now, some bone headed plays creeping into his game, now off the hot pace of points he was on but still good, I think 6.75 mill reasonable but of course he wants more, what are his comps? He's a no. 2 d man.

Zads- struggling a bit, now over 4 million seems unreasonable when Cole, Myers and Soucy are playing ahead of him - Soucy actually a great comp- can give lads term though something like 3.5x5 years.

I'd say Hronek's comp is somewhere in the lower end between Hampus Lindholm's 6.5 million and Charlie McAvoy's 9.5 million. 

5 minutes ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

I'd say Hronek's comp is somewhere in the lower end between Hampus Lindholm's 6.5 million and Charlie McAvoy's 9.5 million. 

Whoa...Mcavoy shouldn't even enter the conversation.  I'd say he's between Lindholm and Dunn.

• Vintage 1

10 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol so he's suppose to take ppl with career high totals of 32 points and turn them into a 60-70 point player? gimme a break.. let's stick JT with career bottom 6 players for half a season and let see him elevate them to a top 6

1990-91 Vancouver Canucks NHL 45 7 1 8 296 -6 6 0 0 0 18
1991-92 Vancouver Canucks NHL 65 4 6 10 348 -1 4 0 0 0 6
1992-93 Vancouver Canucks NHL 75 4 13 17 370 3 1 0 0 0 0
1993-94 Vancouver Canucks NHL 76 16 13 29 271 13 10 0 0 0 18
1994-95 Vancouver Canucks NHL 23 4 5 9 109 -3 5 0 0 0 47
1995-96 Vancouver Canucks NHL 55 3 4 7 181 -16 6 3 1 4 6
1996-97 Vancouver Canucks NHL 70 5 8 13 371 -5 -- -- -- -- --
1997-98 Vancouver Canucks NHL 35 3 2 5 181 -3 -- -- -- --

These are Gino Odjicks Canuck Point totals, can you see when he played with Bure? :classic_biggrin:

I am sure there are many other examples and Burrows probably has similar numbers when he played on the Sedin's line.

Great players usually make everyone around them a lot better.

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Whoa...Mcavoy shouldn't even enter the conversation.  I'd say he's between Lindholm and Dunn.

Fair enough.

In other news. J.P Barry was on Ferraro's podcast today saying that contract talks have started. 

• Like 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

3 hours ago, LillStrimma said:

Yes, and this is what Petey and his agent knows.

I’ve said it for a few years now, give Petey the same oppurtunity as Miller got and Petey got 20 more points per season.

And I truly believe it’s a mild assertion because Petey thinks the game as he does.

So, the PP has all the best players on the team, yet Miller consistently gets more PP points then Petey, so, that doesn't make sense.

Theory debunked! :classic_biggrin:

3 minutes ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

Fair enough.

In other news. J.P Barry was on Ferraro's podcast today saying that contract talks have started. 

Good.

Hopefully Pettersson signs his contract soon and I hope it's long-term. 

Just now, J-23 said:

Good.

Hopefully Pettersson signs his contract soon and I hope it's long-term. 

If it's worth anything, his agent said that neither side wants to do a 1-year deal to walk him to UFA. That's off the table. 

Edited by KoreanHockeyFan
  • Huggy Bear 1

8 minutes ago, EdgarM said:
1990-91 Vancouver Canucks NHL 45 7 1 8 296 -6 6 0 0 0 18
1991-92 Vancouver Canucks NHL 65 4 6 10 348 -1 4 0 0 0 6
1992-93 Vancouver Canucks NHL 75 4 13 17 370 3 1 0 0 0 0
1993-94 Vancouver Canucks NHL 76 16 13 29 271 13 10 0 0 0 18
1994-95 Vancouver Canucks NHL 23 4 5 9 109 -3 5 0 0 0 47
1995-96 Vancouver Canucks NHL 55 3 4 7 181 -16 6 3 1 4 6
1996-97 Vancouver Canucks NHL 70 5 8 13 371 -5 -- -- -- -- --
1997-98 Vancouver Canucks NHL 35 3 2 5 181 -3 -- -- -- --

These are Gino Odjicks Canuck Point totals, can you see when he played with Bure? :classic_biggrin:

I am sure there are many other examples and Burrows probably has similar numbers when he played on the Sedin's line.

Great players usually make everyone around them a lot better.

lol burrows have 2 sedins to carry him.. odjicks case is much simpler just get the puck to bure and he will do the rest 

you have 2 sedins elevating 1 burrow.. you have 1 ep have to elevate the entire line.. big difference 

• Huggy Bear 1

3 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Top talent looks better with other top talent, shocker. Kuzmenko's regressed and been scratched a number of times this season, Mikheyev is a defensively responsible middle six forward. 

Lot of other top forwards around the league have at least one high tier running mate, Pettersson hasn't had one this season and that's an issue for the Canucks.

Regression was always going to happen for Kuzmenko, his shooting percentage wasn't going go be sustainable forever the same way Boeser's shooting percentage this season likely isn't. 

Canucks need an upgrade in their top six and they likely know it.

I give you Exhibit "A" ...............the Blueger, Garland and Joshua line, the most mishmash group on the team, but it works. 

• ThereItIs 1

11 minutes ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

Fair enough.

That's good news!  If they start talking, they'll find a deal.  There's way too much of a good thing going here for Petey to want to leave now.

8 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol burrows have 2 sedins to carry him.. odjicks case is much simpler just get the puck to bure and he will do the rest 

you have 2 sedins elevating 1 burrow.. you have 1 ep have to elevate the entire line.. big difference 

You were talking about players not being able to elevate players around them, I just gave you two examples off the top of my head. 

Both Odjick and Burrows aren't typical top 6 players but those great players elevated their game to where they performed above their expectations.

If Petey was a great center, Kuz and Mik would just need to keep their stick on the ice and he will find them one way or another. 

19 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

So, the PP has all the best players on the team, yet Miller consistently gets more PP points then Petey, so, that doesn't make sense.

Theory debunked! :classic_biggrin:

So, guess where the attack comes from? Left or right when Hughes play.

the earlier years they played together Hughes took the puck in, Miller took over and had a two way with Boeser and they scored. Happened more often than not while Petey was stuck on the right side. 

But if Tocchet let Petey take over Millers position you will notice what I talk about.

On 12/30/2023 at 11:05 PM, Elias Pettersson said:

Ummm, if you have already been offered over $11 million, why would you then only take $10 million? 

If he's already been offered 11 and didn't sign he's a BOzo.  

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

Agreed.  We need a 2C so Suter also moves to the 4th line to play against lesser opponents.  That's what depth does to other teams, the bottom 6 cause havoc.

Boeser-Miller-Petey

Mikheyev-2C-Kuzmenko

Garland-Blueger-Joshua

Hoglander-Suter-Lafferty (this line will eat up the other team's lesser competition)

How about this guy?

sidney crosby hockey GIF by NHL

👆