[Report/Rumour] Elias Pettersson Contract Talks

Rubik

10 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Can't see any team going to 17.5 million right now. That would pretty much kill the ability to construct a cup winning team. 

Need to go with the Colorado model, you want a chance, we will spend to the cap, EVERY YEAR, but we need the flexibility to build a team around the core.

If you just want money, we're happy to trade you!

If you look at Edmonton and Toronto, the amount that they allocated to one or with Toronto, a few players, its not a recipe for success in the NHL. You need to be able to build a balanced lineup. I would love if in future versions of the cap, they start reducing the maximum that a team can spend on one player down from 20%. Maybe 18% on next CBA, 16 on the one after that and then stop at 15%. Having an elitist who feels he needs to be paid 20% of a team cap, just doesn't work IMO and benefits very few players.

Agreed but Barry seems pretty confident it's coming.

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

Agreed but Barry seems pretty confident it's coming.

I'm sure there are agents who are pushing for it, but I think I would trade anyone who demanded 20%. Even McJesus isn't worth it!

20% would be a really nice commission for an agent, but yeah....really have to ask a player, what matters to you, just money or do you want your name on the cup. If the answer is anything but I want my name on the cup, start making trade calls.

2 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

Can't see any team going to 17.5 million right now. That would pretty much kill the ability to construct a cup winning team. 

Need to go with the Colorado model, you want a chance, we will spend to the cap, EVERY YEAR, but we need the flexibility to build a team around the core.

If you look at Edmonton and Toronto, the amount that they allocated to one or with Toronto, a few players, its not a recipe for success in the NHL. You need to be able to build a balanced lineup. I would love if in future versions of the cap, they start reducing the maximum that a team can spend on one player down from 20%. Maybe 18% on next CBA, 16 on the one after that and then stop at 15%. Having an elitist who feels he needs to be paid 20% of a team cap, just doesn't work IMO and benefits very few players.

The key to building a team in the cap era is to build a balanced cohesive team. Imagine a guy hogging 20%, what are his team mates going to feel when they have to take less because of him. 

I keep going back to Vegas, as they have a proven recipe for success. None of their players make over 10 million. They almost won the cup without 1 single star in their inaugural season. That says a lot about how much we covet these players.

Has any of these high paid players win a cup yet? I am thinking no because they can't afford to any more.:classic_laugh:

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

I'm sure there are agents who are pushing for it, but I think I would trade anyone who demanded 20%. Even McJesus isn't worth it!

20% would be a really nice commission for an agent, but yeah....really have to ask a player, what matters to you, just money or do you want your name on the cup. If the answer is anything but I want my name on the cup, start making trade calls.

I would even question the teams who build their teams like this, maybe the publicity and the money they make off these players is far more important then winning a cup too. 

• Cheers 1

It's all about finding value contracts.  Don't care how much a cap hit is as long as the player plays upto or over the value of the contract.  A player can be paid $11m, but if he puts up 130pts then it's money well spent.

• ThereItIs 1

7 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

Bingo!  That's why it's so important to have an old wise man like JR in management.  Too old and successful to care what the backlash would be if he made the difficult decision of making an ultimatum to a star player like EP.  

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol you guys keep referring to "high paid players" can't win cups.. gimme a f*king break.. Crosby Malkin won the cup multiple times with pittsburgh.. their cap hit was 14.5% of the cap which would be equivalent to a 12mil player today at the time when they won their cup.... there are plenty of teams that won cups when their player signed for 12-13% of the cap hit.. so enough with the you can't win with players over 10mil.. you can win with players making 12-13% of the cap at the time of winning. ovechkin when he signed was 18% of the cap.. when he won the cup he was 12% of the cap.. kucherov was 12% of the cap.. 

the cap inflates.. the players salary inflates.. they are literally all eating up the same % of the cap if not less than the other star players was when they won the cup.. so stop whining and complaining about high paid players can't win a cup crap coz it's not true.. that's like saying when the cap is 100mil even if mcdavid only takes 10% of the cap he's still at 10mil.. well he can't win a cup coz he's making double digit.

Malkin was at $9.5 million in 2016 when Pittsburgh won the cup.  Crosby was at $8.7 million.  The cap was $71.4 million.  So Malkin was at 13.3% and Crosby was at 12.2%.  That’s 25.5% for two players and they won 2 cups in a row.

If Petey signs at $12 million then he will be at 13.8% of the cap next year and 13% of the cap in 2025.  His % will continue to go down if he signs an 8 year deal.

To make a more accurate comparison, when Crosby signed his deal in 2013-2014 at $8.7 million the cap was $64.3 million.  So he was at 13.5% of the cap.  So was Malkin as he was also at $8.7 million in 2013-2014.  So at the end of the day Petey at $12 million will be almost identical to Crosby when he signed his long term contract.  Pittsburgh was able to win 2 cups after he signed so you are 100% correct.  People are panicking for nothing and the ones who keep saying you can’t win a cup with a $10 million player have no comprehension of how the salary cap works.

It’s not the amount of the salary that matters, it’s the amount of the salary as a percentage of the cap that matters.  The fact that Miller is signed only at $8 million and he’s Petey’s Malkin makes it even easier for us cap wise versus what Pittsburgh had to deal with in 2016.

Since Rutherford and Allvin were the ones running the show in Pittsburgh at the time that Pittsburgh won their cups, I would expect them to understand our cap situation better than anyone.  

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Cheers 2

8 hours ago, EdgarM said:

The key to building a team in the cap era is to build a balanced cohesive team. Imagine a guy hogging 20%, what are his team mates going to feel when they have to take less because of him. 

I keep going back to Vegas, as they have a proven recipe for success. None of their players make over 10 million. They almost won the cup without 1 single star in their inaugural season. That says a lot about how much we covet these players.

Has any of these high paid players win a cup yet? I am thinking no because they can't afford to any more.:classic_laugh:

Eichel makes 10 million. When he signed that deal he was 13.33% of the cap. Set to today's cap inflation that would put him at 11.13 million. Mark stone also makes a shade under 10 million.

There is also the fact that Vegas is a tax free state, that has a huge benefit in keeping salaries down. 

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Malkin was at $9.5 million in 2016 when Pittsburgh won the cup.  Crosby was at $8.7 million.  The cap was $71.4 million.  So Malkin was at 13.3% and Crosby was at 12.2%.  That’s 25.5% for two players and they won 2 cups in a row.

If Petey signs at $12 million then he will be at 13.8% of the cap next year and 13% of the cap in 2025.  His % will continue to go down if he signs an 8 year deal.

To make a more accurate comparison, when Crosby signed his deal in 2013-2014 at $8.7 million the cap was $64.3 million.  So he was at 13.5% of the cap.  So was Malkin as he was also at $8.7 million in 2013-2014.  So at the end of the day Petey at $12 million will be almost identical to Crosby when he signed his long term contract.  Pittsburgh was able to win 2 cups after he signed so you are 100% correct.  People are panicking for nothing and the ones who keep saying you can’t win a cup with a $10 million player have no comprehension of how the salary cap works.

It’s not the amount of the salary that matters, it’s the amount of the salary as a percentage of the cap that matters.  The fact that Miller is signed only at $8 million and he’s Petey’s Malkin makes it even easier for us cap wise versus what Pittsburgh had to deal with in 2016.

Since Rutherford and Allvin were the ones running the show in Pittsburgh at the time that Pittsburgh won their cups, I would expect them to understand our cap situation better than anyone.  

Pettersson is great, but he's not comparable to Crosby.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • ThereItIs 1

24 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapshot said:

Pettersson is great, but he's not comparable to Crosby.

No one is comparable to Crosby so why are they making more than 8.7 then? 

3 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yes people don’t understand that and are hung up over salary number when reality is teams won plenty of cups with star players eating up 12+ % of the cap at the time of winning which is equivalent to a 11+ mil player right now 

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, EdgarM said:

Exactly!!!

10 hours ago, EdgarM said:

7 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol you guys keep referring to "high paid players" can't win cups.. gimme a f*king break.. Crosby Malkin won the cup multiple times with pittsburgh.. their cap hit was 14.5% of the cap which would be equivalent to a 12mil player today at the time when they won their cup.... there are plenty of teams that won cups when their player signed for 12-13% of the cap hit.. so enough with the you can't win with players over 10mil.. you can win with players making 12-13% of the cap at the time of winning. ovechkin when he signed was 18% of the cap.. when he won the cup he was 12% of the cap.. kucherov was 12% of the cap.. 

the cap inflates.. the players salary inflates.. they are literally all eating up the same % of the cap if not less than the other star players was when they won the cup.. so stop whining and complaining about high paid players can't win a cup crap coz it's not true.. that's like saying when the cap is 100mil even if mcdavid only takes 10% of the cap he's still at 10mil.. well he can't win a cup coz he's making double digit.

4 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I guess these guys can't read or use simple math.:classic_biggrin:

10 hours ago, EdgarM said:

2 hours ago, Coryberg said:

Eichel makes 10 million. When he signed that deal he was 13.33% of the cap. Set to today's cap inflation that would put him at 11.13 million. Mark stone also makes a shade under 10 million.

There is also the fact that Vegas is a tax free state, that has a huge benefit in keeping salaries down. 

doop e doop e do :classic_laugh:

28 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

someone doesn't understand simple concept.. it's like wages for the same jobs used to be $15.. why the hell is it $30+ now do to the same job? vegas won the cup with their 3 top players making a combine 28.3mil but by the same logic if our top 3 player makes 28.3mil we'll never win a cup because some how they manage to spread the cap around the rest of the team but if we have 3 players making the exact same we can't build a competitve team

so eer which player is hogging the 20% salary cap you are implying?? vegas is good not because they managed their cap well.. they were good coz teams were forced to give up players with upside and they all excel above their previous contract.. are you trying to say all those players in vegas took a discount so they can win a cup? lmao Mark stone is the equivalent of a 11mil contract today eichel is a equivalent of a 12mil contract today. if the cap was still 79mil ya sure most of them prolly won't be getting a 10+mil contract. 

anyone with an ounce of brain would understand the cap going up = players getting paid more.. so cap hit means absolutely nothing when comparing to the cap %. it's like a fuking pyramid structure.. if your company is making more money than before.. the people at the top would get more money as their bonus and the ppl down below stays the same.. you think the CEOs and stuff are going to take less money so they can pay more to their staff below? 

maybe they should hide players salary and salary cap numbers and instead just show how much of the cap % a player is taking without disclosing their salary to the public.. then maybe people will stop crying about how much this guy or that guy makes compared to this guy that guy.

• ThereItIs 1

Ultimately players making bigger cuts of the payroll are the players fans are paying money to come see, that's the real core of the issue.

I am pretty sure players understand this fact, and are still pretty happy the make 3 mill per year, stars grow the game and push revenues upwards...

Then everybody gets a raise! Win win...

• ThereItIs 1

It is frustrating to see JP Berry firing shots across the bow publicly in the media about Petterson walking to free agency.  They do that as a negotiation tactic, it isn't accidental.

He has already held out once before, signing an extension now would mean zero distraction going forward and show a commitment to the other players on the roster he wants to win and keep the success going. Signing a deal now means the GM can also have cost certainty going forward and consider making moves by the deadline that could involve players with term. Signing a deal now means that the GM can move on to extend other players on this roster, who are all in limbo waiting to see how much money is left over.
All it takes is the player being invested in the team, the range of negotiation isn't that wide.... the guy will make between $11-12.5 million per year on a max term deal. Anything in that range is going to mean his family is set up for several generations (between $113-125 million in career earnings)... the rest is ego about where you sit in the league compared with other salaries.
More players sign extensions than decide to push it to free agency, but the fact he hasn't is absolutely cause for concern. That his agent is firing public shots across the bow about going to free agency is a sure sign he is playing hardball and pushing for the most dollars, regardless of what it will mean to the team payroll going forward.

Petterson is great and a joy to watch. He is also currently the 3rd best player on the team.

If he doesn't sign an extension for reasonable dollars before draft day he needs to get moved. No choice to let him walk himself to free agency. A bunch of the goodwill and work the team brass has finally shown will disappear as they have to fill that hole.

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/elias-pettersson-doesn-t-want-contract-status-to-distract-vancouver-canucks-great-season-1.2060082#:~:text=Pettersson's agent%2C J.P. Barry%2C says,of an impressive regular season.

6 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

3 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

No one is comparable to Crosby so why are they making more than 8.7 then? 

Yes people don’t understand that and are hung up over salary number when reality is teams won plenty of cups with star players eating up 12+ % of the cap at the time of winning which is equivalent to a 11+ mil player right now 

1 hour ago, EdgarM said:

The Cap Hit % is right there on CapFriendly too lol

image.png.b2c1f84c9217aa467a32eaf7d4823140.png

This team is in really good shape from a cap distribution perspective for the next 3 to 4 years.  We are at the beginning of our current window.

I think the next window will be when Lekkerimaki, Willander, DPetey, and the current Hogs/Podz/etc. hit their stride.  We will probably lose Kuz and Mik by then, but they'll be replaced by these guys.

Miller was a home run signing that gives us the flexibility to lock in Petey at a higher AAV than we would normally be comfortable with.  Just wish we locked in Hughes for 8 years.

12 hours ago, EdgarM said:

1 hour ago, wai_lai416 said:

someone doesn't understand simple concept.. it's like wages for the same jobs used to be $15.. why the hell is it $30+ now do to the same job? vegas won the cup with their 3 top players making a combine 28.3mil but by the same logic if our top 3 player makes 28.3mil we'll never win a cup because some how they manage to spread the cap around the rest of the team but if we have 3 players making the exact same we can't build a competitve team

so eer which player is hogging the 20% salary cap you are implying?? vegas is good not because they managed their cap well.. they were good coz teams were forced to give up players with upside and they all excel above their previous contract.. are you trying to say all those players in vegas took a discount so they can win a cup? lmao Mark stone is the equivalent of a 11mil contract today eichel is a equivalent of a 12mil contract today. if the cap was still 79mil ya sure most of them prolly won't be getting a 10+mil contract. 

anyone with an ounce of brain would understand the cap going up = players getting paid more.. so cap hit means absolutely nothing when comparing to the cap %. it's like a fuking pyramid structure.. if your company is making more money than before.. the people at the top would get more money as their bonus and the ppl down below stays the same.. you think the CEOs and stuff are going to take less money so they can pay more to their staff below? 

maybe they should hide players salary and salary cap numbers and instead just show how much of the cap % a player is taking without disclosing their salary to the public.. then maybe people will stop crying about how much this guy or that guy makes compared to this guy that guy.

I think I hit a nerve because you are taking this way more serious then what I said. You missed the part where I said you need a balanced cohesive team. Now you can go on about percentages this and the cap changing that, but the bottom line is to have a BALANCED COHESIVE TEAM in the end, period. 

You may think a player is worth this or that but at the end of the day, its what the management sees as what they want to pay said player. 

My main point is that you don't automatically make your team better by adding more and more stars to your line up. You need the goal scorers, the checkers, the physical players, the defensive minded players and you need a descent goalie. Not to mention, good coaches and for all of your players to have good character and the will to win above all else.

Money does not always buy you happiness. :classic_biggrin:

44 minutes ago, HKSR said:

The Cap Hit % is right there on CapFriendly too lol

image.png.b2c1f84c9217aa467a32eaf7d4823140.png

This team is in really good shape from a cap distribution perspective for the next 3 to 4 years.  We are at the beginning of our current window.

I think the next window will be when Lekkerimaki, Willander, DPetey, and the current Hogs/Podz/etc. hit their stride.  We will probably lose Kuz and Mik by then, but they'll be replaced by these guys.

Miller was a home run signing that gives us the flexibility to lock in Petey at a higher AAV than we would normally be comfortable with.  Just wish we locked in Hughes for 8 years.

My hypothetical number was 20% , I don't know what these guys are blabbering on about. :classic_laugh:

But the numbers now look exactly what the hierarchy is and Miller and Hughes are our most valuable players on this team. it also shows how much cut they took to make this team competitive. Petey? I am not so sure he is thinking like Miller and Hughes, the way he is holding out, I think he wants just a little more. :classic_biggrin:

7 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

I think I hit a nerve because you are taking this way more serious then what I said. You missed the part where I said you need a balanced cohesive team. Now you can go on about percentages this and the cap changing that, but the bottom line is to have a BALANCED COHESIVE TEAM in the end, period. 

You may think a player is worth this or that but at the end of the day, its what the management sees as what they want to pay said player. 

My main point is that you don't automatically make your team better by adding more and more stars to your line up. You need the goal scorers, the checkers, the physical players, the defensive minded players and you need a descent goalie. Not to mention, good coaches and for all of your players to have good character and the will to win above all else.

Money does not always buy you happiness. :classic_biggrin:

The only way to win the cup in this league is not about building a balance lineup. Carolina have a very balance lineup what have they won? The cup winners are always teams that have mid paid players pulling well above their weight. Vegas have marchessault Roy Stephenson and a few others.. they didn’t take no pay cuts they just pulled all of a sudden gotten better and pulled way above their pay grades. It have nothing to do with star players getting paid or balancing the cap on your lineup. It’s whoever finds the most mid tier contracts that performs above their pay grade to support the star players while not having passengers with overpaid contract not producing. And we have plenty of those 

8 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

It went right over your head Hoss, but that's OK. :classic_biggrin:

Just keep going back to Vegas and how their proven recipe for success is no players making $10,000,001 or more. Definitely not 2 of them making 9,500,001 or more. Don't bother considering if those contracts were signed within the last 6 years or signed in a tax free state. Definitely don't take into consideration that the cap has inflated as have contracts.

That would be over your head champ.

21 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

My hypothetical number was 20% , I don't know what these guys are blabbering on about. :classic_laugh:

But the numbers now look exactly what the hierarchy is and Miller and Hughes are our most valuable players on this team. it also shows how much cut they took to make this team competitive. Petey? I am not so sure he is thinking like Miller and Hughes, the way he is holding out, I think he wants just a little more. :classic_biggrin:

You might find this post of mine interesting 🙂