[Report/Rumour] Elias Pettersson Contract Talks

Rubik

1 hour ago, Provost said:

It is frustrating to see JP Berry firing shots across the bow publicly in the media about Petterson walking to free agency.  They do that as a negotiation tactic, it isn't accidental.

He has already held out once before, signing an extension now would mean zero distraction going forward and show a commitment to the other players on the roster he wants to win and keep the success going. Signing a deal now means the GM can also have cost certainty going forward and consider making moves by the deadline that could involve players with term. Signing a deal now means that the GM can move on to extend other players on this roster, who are all in limbo waiting to see how much money is left over.
All it takes is the player being invested in the team, the range of negotiation isn't that wide.... the guy will make between $11-12.5 million per year on a max term deal. Anything in that range is going to mean his family is set up for several generations (between $113-125 million in career earnings)... the rest is ego about where you sit in the league compared with other salaries.
More players sign extensions than decide to push it to free agency, but the fact he hasn't is absolutely cause for concern. That his agent is firing public shots across the bow about going to free agency is a sure sign he is playing hardball and pushing for the most dollars, regardless of what it will mean to the team payroll going forward.

Petterson is great and a joy to watch. He is also currently the 3rd best player on the team.

If he doesn't sign an extension for reasonable dollars before draft day he needs to get moved. No choice to let him walk himself to free agency. A bunch of the goodwill and work the team brass has finally shown will disappear as they have to fill that hole.

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/elias-pettersson-doesn-t-want-contract-status-to-distract-vancouver-canucks-great-season-1.2060082#:~:text=Pettersson's agent%2C J.P. Barry%2C says,of an impressive regular season.

Was that quote taken from his interview on Ferraro's podcast? I don't recall him saying that, or am I missing something? 

49 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

I think I hit a nerve because you are taking this way more serious then what I said. You missed the part where I said you need a balanced cohesive team. Now you can go on about percentages this and the cap changing that, but the bottom line is to have a BALANCED COHESIVE TEAM in the end, period. 

You may think a player is worth this or that but at the end of the day, its what the management sees as what they want to pay said player. 

My main point is that you don't automatically make your team better by adding more and more stars to your line up. You need the goal scorers, the checkers, the physical players, the defensive minded players and you need a descent goalie. Not to mention, good coaches and for all of your players to have good character and the will to win above all else.

Money does not always buy you happiness. :classic_biggrin:

36 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

The only way to win the cup in this league is not about building a balance lineup. Carolina have a very balance lineup what have they won? The cup winners are always teams that have mid paid players pulling well above their weight. Vegas have marchessault Roy Stephenson and a few others.. they didn’t take no pay cuts they just pulled all of a sudden gotten better and pulled way above their pay grades. It have nothing to do with star players getting paid or balancing the cap on your lineup. It’s whoever finds the most mid tier contracts that performs above their pay grade to support the star players while not having passengers with overpaid contract not producing. And we have plenty of those 

What!? :classic_laugh: 

Wow how long did it take you to come up with that? Marchessault and Karlsson are gamers, period. They come up at key times for their team. Not because they make 10+ million dollars or they support the "Star" players. They have their own line and they do what needs to be done at key times like the playoffs. You know "character" guys. :classic_biggrin:

We have guys like that in Miller and Hoglander, again they don't support anyone and they are high character guys. Petey is going to have to support himself eventually.

Now don't try to go in another direction, K? 

36 minutes ago, Coryberg said:

Just keep going back to Vegas and how their proven recipe for success is no players making $10,000,001 or more. Definitely not 2 of them making 9,500,001 or more. Don't bother considering if those contracts were signed within the last 6 years or signed in a tax free state. Definitely don't take into consideration that the cap has inflated as have contracts.

That would be over your head champ.

I was talking about a BALANCED TEAM! Not any specific salary number or cap hit........... I am going to stop there. :classic_biggrin:

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

lol, ok, figured you would if you were interested in cap hit % analyses 🙂

I was trying to make a point and cap % was in it but not my main part of the whole thing.

12 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Malkin was at $9.5 million in 2016 when Pittsburgh won the cup.  Crosby was at $8.7 million.  The cap was $71.4 million.  So Malkin was at 13.3% and Crosby was at 12.2%.  That’s 25.5% for two players and they won 2 cups in a row.

If Petey signs at $12 million then he will be at 13.8% of the cap next year and 13% of the cap in 2025.  His % will continue to go down if he signs an 8 year deal.

To make a more accurate comparison, when Crosby signed his deal in 2013-2014 at $8.7 million the cap was $64.3 million.  So he was at 13.5% of the cap.  So was Malkin as he was also at $8.7 million in 2013-2014.  So at the end of the day Petey at $12 million will be almost identical to Crosby when he signed his long term contract.  Pittsburgh was able to win 2 cups after he signed so you are 100% correct.  People are panicking for nothing and the ones who keep saying you can’t win a cup with a $10 million player have no comprehension of how the salary cap works.

It’s not the amount of the salary that matters, it’s the amount of the salary as a percentage of the cap that matters.  The fact that Miller is signed only at $8 million and he’s Petey’s Malkin makes it even easier for us cap wise versus what Pittsburgh had to deal with in 2016.

Since Rutherford and Allvin were the ones running the show in Pittsburgh at the time that Pittsburgh won their cups, I would expect them to understand our cap situation better than anyone.  

So how much less (as a percentage of the cap) should Pettersson make than the two greatest centers of their generation?

• Cheers 1

13 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Malkin was at $9.5 million in 2016 when Pittsburgh won the cup.  Crosby was at $8.7 million.  The cap was $71.4 million.  So Malkin was at 13.3% and Crosby was at 12.2%.  That’s 25.5% for two players and they won 2 cups in a row.

If Petey signs at $12 million then he will be at 13.8% of the cap next year and 13% of the cap in 2025.  His % will continue to go down if he signs an 8 year deal.

To make a more accurate comparison, when Crosby signed his deal in 2013-2014 at $8.7 million the cap was $64.3 million.  So he was at 13.5% of the cap.  So was Malkin as he was also at $8.7 million in 2013-2014.  So at the end of the day Petey at $12 million will be almost identical to Crosby when he signed his long term contract.  Pittsburgh was able to win 2 cups after he signed so you are 100% correct.  People are panicking for nothing and the ones who keep saying you can’t win a cup with a $10 million player have no comprehension of how the salary cap works.

It’s not the amount of the salary that matters, it’s the amount of the salary as a percentage of the cap that matters.  The fact that Miller is signed only at $8 million and he’s Petey’s Malkin makes it even easier for us cap wise versus what Pittsburgh had to deal with in 2016.

Since Rutherford and Allvin were the ones running the show in Pittsburgh at the time that Pittsburgh won their cups, I would expect them to understand our cap situation better than anyone.  

I don't really disagree with you, but just wanted to point out Crosby signed at 14.5% of the cap and Malkin at 14.77%. 

Also, if $12M is 13% of the cap in 2025, you are expecting the upper limit to be $92.3M by 2025.  That's expecting it to jump from $87.7M to $92.3M ($4.6M increase between next year and the year after).  Historically, the cap has never jumped that much.  I expect a $2M to MAYBE $3M increase between next year and the year after. 

Anyways, all just nit picky points.  Miller signed an amazingly great value contract that gives us the fortune of being able to lock down Petey while maintaining a good cap distribution overall.

6 minutes ago, 43isprime said:

So how much less (as a percentage of the cap) should Pettersson make than the two greatest centers of their generation?

Vegas won a cup with their top 3 guys making 34% of the cap. Are Eichel, Stone and Pietrangelo generational talents?  

Petey at $12 million along with Hughes and Miller will only make up 32% of the cap next season. So they are in line with Vegas cap structure. Why this is so difficult to understand is beyond me. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I don't really disagree with you, but just wanted to point out Crosby signed at 14.5% of the cap and Malkin at 14.77%. 

Also, if $12M is 13% of the cap in 2025, you are expecting the upper limit to be $92.3M by 2025.  That's expecting it to jump from $87.7M to $92.3M ($4.6M increase between next year and the year after).  Historically, the cap has never jumped that much.  I expect a $2M to MAYBE $3M increase between next year and the year after. 

Anyways, all just nit picky points.  Miller signed an amazingly great value contract that gives us the fortune of being able to lock down Petey while maintaining a good cap distribution overall.

$92 million has already been put on CapFriendly as the 2025 upper limit. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

$92 million has already been put on CapFriendly as the 2025 upper limit. 

Yeah, but they don't know either.  Historically the cap has never jumped up like that year over year.  It's usually in the $2M to $2.5M range. 

25 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Vegas won a cup with their top 3 guys making 34% of the cap. Are Eichel, Stone and Pietrangelo generational talents?  

Petey at $12 million along with Hughes and Miller will only make up 32% of the cap next season. So they are in line with Vegas cap structure. Why this is so difficult to understand is beyond me. 

Let me explain you.They dont want to understand.They are still in frozen time when  plugs played for us.Search me

Edited by Lemon Face

17 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

You went from using Crosby and Malkin numbers to justify paying Pettersson 12m to trying to justify it by grouping Pettersson in with Hughes and Miller. Why?

So what's your logic here - on the backs of Hughes and Miller completely outperforming their cap hits, Pettersson can make a salary (as a percentage of the cap) comparable to those of the two greatest centers of their generation and still have the team be competitive?

3 minutes ago, 43isprime said:

You went from using Crosby and Malkin numbers to justify paying Pettersson 12m to trying to justify it by grouping Pettersson in with Hughes and Miller. Why?

So what's your logic here - on the backs of Hughes and Miller completely outperforming their cap hits, Pettersson can make a salary (as a percentage of the cap) comparable to those of the two greatest centers of their generation and still have the team be competitive?

Well let me explain you.If F Bening had brain Petterson would now play for Huggy contract.Just saying

Edited by Lemon Face

13 minutes ago, 43isprime said:

Great Jordan was paid 6-7 mill a year.Now craps and plugs making 40 mill a year.Time and economics change

• ThereItIs 1

19 minutes ago, 43isprime said:

So what part of cap percentage for players salaries is confusing to you?  

On the one hand I’m not supposed to compare Petey to Crosby and on the other hand I’m also not supposed to use the Canucks current salary structure either. 

Let me make this simple for you to understand. Under the current cap structure of the Vancouver Canucks, their top 3 players will be taking up the same amount of cap space as the top 3 players in Vegas. It really doesn’t matter how much each player is getting paid. That’s irrelevant even though you are trying to make it relevant to suit your argument. 

Lots of players are underpaid or have overachieved their current contracts. That’s how NHL teams are built. If the Canucks can fit Petey into their cap structure at $12 million then there isn’t an issue. 

As for the $12 million, that is what Petey is worth in today’s market based on recent comps. So if the Canucks cap structure can make it work then I don’t see the problem. 

Why exactly do you feel Petey isn’t worth $12 million?  Care to explain your argument? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

On the one hand I’m not supposed to compare Petey to Crosby and on the other hand I’m also not supposed to use the Canucks current salary structure either. 

Let me make this simple for you to understand. Under the current cap structure of the Vancouver Canucks, their top 3 players will be taking up the same amount of cap space as the top 3 players in Vegas. It really doesn’t matter how much each player is getting paid. That’s irrelevant even though you are trying to make it relevant to suit your argument. 

Lots of players are underpaid or have overachieved their current contracts. That’s how NHL teams are built. If the Canucks can fit Petey into their cap structure at $12 million then there isn’t an issue. 

As for the $12 million, that is what Petey is worth in today’s market based on recent comps. So if the Canucks cap structure can make it work then I don’t see the problem. 

Why exactly do you feel Petey isn’t worth $12 million?  Care to explain your argument? 

I'll say this again - you used Crosby and Malkin numbers to justify how much the Canucks could spend on Pettersson, citing how they won the Cup with those two players making what they did. Surely you don't think Pettersson is anywhere near as valuable as either of those two players.

So I asked you how much less Pettersson should make (as a percentage of the cap) than the two greatest centers of their generation. Then you randomly decided to lump in Pettersson with Miller and Hughes and compared them to three players on a completely different team. So let me ask again - how much less should Pettersson make (as a percentage of the cap) than the two greatest centers of their generation and still have the team be competitive for the Cup (which seems to be your main interest)?

If you really insist on talking about team "cap structure", you have to understand that the team is not just 3 players.

Note that VGK had Theodore at 5.25m, Marchessault playing at literally a Conn Smythe level at 5m, and this is not even to mention that their playoff team was well over the cap. 

And if you really want to talk about team cap structure, you ought to be including the dead money on the OEL buyout, which will be 2m in the first year of Pettersson's next deal, and almost 4.5m in the next two. If your concern is team cap structure, you ought to be considering Pettersson's percentage of our effective cap (actual cap minus OEL penalty).

This is all neglecting the free agents (including Hronek) that need to be re-signed or replaced just this off-season.

The question comes down to whether Pettersson can output 12m worth of value. MacKinnon and Matthews have set the market with their contracts. Pettersson is nowhere near those two. McDavid's 12.5m was signed years ago, but I'm pretty sure the Cup doesn't care when contracts were signed. He's on that deal until 2026, which is right within our supposed window. If you want the Canucks to compete for the Cup, they'll need to contend with Mackinnon's 12.6m and McDavid's 12.5m until the end of 2026.

Do I believe Pettersson could get 12m on the open market? Sure. Do I believe he can output value commensurate with that contract when Mackinnon and McDavid are on similar numbers? Absolutely not.

8 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

there's really no point of explaining.. they are so hell bent on comparing salary of players signed when the cap is different.. and they'll keep pointing at vegas and keep saying vegas is so good coz they have no one making more than 10mil when reality is their top 3 players is making exactly the same as the top 3 in vancouver if EP signs at say 12mil.. their top 3 player is making less than 10mil therefore they won a cup.. eichel and stone is making no more than 10mil each.. they are a steal at 19.5mil producing 81 points.. EP and miller if ep signs for 12mil combines for 20mil and produced 108 points.. but they are going to be the reason why vancouver can't win a cup lol.. their reasoning and logic is stupid, is pathetic.. their logic is more like just because the salary cap goes up.. players shouldn't be getting a raise.. if they made 4mil when the cap was 70mil.. a similar player should only make 4mil when the cap is at 80mil only the generational top tier talents like mcdavid mackinnon and such deserves to get a raise when the cap goes up.. everyone else should be using comp when the cap is less. 

everyone outside of vancouver insiders etc what not puts ep market in about the 11-12 range.. but in vancouver the fans put him in the 10 or less range because he sucks.. he falls over.. he is injury prone.. he can't elevate 3rd line plugs.. he's trash.. he can't faceoff.. miller is better.... even with his inferior linesmate 5v5 and his struggles.. EP is still leading the team in 5v5 points.. ppl here are literally using the same arguements regarding how Horvat sucks and applying it to EP.. actually the "fans" here seems to apply that to every player that's up for renewal in vancouver.. hughes, boeser, miller, horvat, now ep lol

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, 43isprime said:

I'll say this again - you used Crosby and Malkin numbers to justify how much the Canucks could spend on Pettersson, citing how they won the Cup with those two players making what they did. Surely you don't think Pettersson is anywhere near as valuable as either of those two players.

So I asked you how much less Pettersson should make (as a percentage of the cap) than the two greatest centers of their generation. Then you randomly decided to lump in Pettersson with Miller and Hughes and compared them to three players on a completely different team. So let me ask again - how much less should Pettersson make (as a percentage of the cap) than the two greatest centers of their generation and still have the team be competitive for the Cup (which seems to be your main interest)?

If you really insist on talking about team "cap structure", you have to understand that the team is not just 3 players.

Note that VGK had Theodore at 5.25m, Marchessault playing at literally a Conn Smythe level at 5m, and this is not even to mention that their playoff team was well over the cap. 

And if you really want to talk about team cap structure, you ought to be including the dead money on the OEL buyout, which will be 2m in the first year of Pettersson's next deal, and almost 4.5m in the next two. If your concern is team cap structure, you ought to be considering Pettersson's percentage of our effective cap (actual cap minus OEL penalty).

This is all neglecting the free agents (including Hronek) that need to be re-signed or replaced just this off-season.

The question comes down to whether Pettersson can output 12m worth of value. MacKinnon and Matthews have set the market with their contracts. Pettersson is nowhere near those two. McDavid's 12.5m was signed years ago, but I'm pretty sure the Cup doesn't care when contracts were signed. He's on that deal until 2026, which is right within our supposed window. If you want the Canucks to compete for the Cup, they'll need to contend with Mackinnon's 12.6m and McDavid's 12.5m until the end of 2026.

Do I believe Pettersson could get 12m on the open market? Sure. Do I believe he can output value commensurate with that contract when Mackinnon and McDavid are on similar numbers? Absolutely not.

what the heck are you even talking about?? crosby and malkin were both paid 14.5% of the cap each.. if the cap is at 88mil that's 12.75mil?? whos suggesting we pay EP almost 13mil?

seems like you rather overpay other players on the team and cry about if ep gets overpaid by 1mil or so.. the canucks cap issue is brought on by their own incompetence.. but ya let's punish the players for it. OEL buyout is EP's fault therefore he should make less to off set the cap penalty.. we have mikheyev overpaid at 5mil we have garland overpaid at 5mil we have myers overpaid at 6mil we have kuzmenko sitting in the pressbox at 5.5mil but it's ok coz they provide "depth" if EP gets 12mil how the hell else is the team going to afford overpaying the other players for "depth" and grit they provide right?

again you are comparing mcdavid's contract when it was signed when the cap was 79.5mil why should EP make similar to what mcdavid signed for 5 years ago.. mackinnon is prolly bit more comparable but again he signed when cap was 82.5mil.. well at this rate why don't you complain about ppl getting paid more for the same job 10 years ago? why are ppl getting raises? why are we paying more for now than we were for the same product?

• Cheers 2

22 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

what the heck are you even talking about?? crosby and malkin were both paid 14.5% of the cap each.. if the cap is at 88mil that's 12.75mil?? whos suggesting we pay EP almost 13mil?

seems like you rather overpay other players on the team and cry about if ep gets overpaid by 1mil or so.. the canucks cap issue is brought on by their own incompetence.. but ya let's punish the players for it. OEL buyout is EP's fault therefore he should make less to off set the cap penalty.. we have mikheyev overpaid at 5mil we have garland overpaid at 5mil we have myers overpaid at 6mil we have kuzmenko sitting in the pressbox at 5.5mil but it's ok coz they provide "depth" if EP gets 12mil how the hell else is the team going to afford overpaying the other players for "depth" and grit they provide right?

again you are comparing mcdavid's contract when it was signed when the cap was 79.5mil why should EP make similar to what mcdavid signed for 5 years ago.. mackinnon is prolly bit more comparable but again he signed when cap was 82.5mil.. well at this rate why don't you complain about ppl getting paid more for the same job 10 years ago? why are ppl getting raises? why are we paying more for now than we were for the same product?

I don't think you understand what I was saying. I don't have the time to explain, but I'll just say you're pretty much helping make my point for me (although Myers will be off the books by the time Pettersson is on his new deal, so he won't included).

9 minutes ago, 43isprime said:

I don't think you understand what I was saying. I don't have the time to explain, but I'll just say you're pretty much helping make my point for me (although Myers will be off the books by the time Pettersson is on his new deal, so he won't included).

yup overpaying players in the middle 6 for depth will sure make the top players take a pay cut and play better lol. those guys deserved to be overpaid while the top players should take less so they can overpay them is definitely a model we should be following. trade EP for a haul and overpay 2 more middle 6 players at 5-6mil each it'll make this team so deep the cup is guaranteed ours. who needs EP when u can replace him with 2 more garland and mihkeyev 

1 hour ago, 43isprime said:

Let’s make this real simple.  Petey on the open market is worth up to $12 million.  If Allvin can sign him for a bit less then he’s a genius.  You even admit that Petey can get $12 million on the open market, so what exactly is the issue?

As @wai_lai416 already pointed out it’s not EP’s problem that previous and current management have overpaid guys to screw up our cap.  It’s not Petey’s problem that we are paying a 3rd liner $5 million, a guy in the press box $5.5 million, a bottom pairing Dman $6 million, and on top of all of that we need to keep paying a guy for the next 7 years who is not even on the roster.

Those are bad decisions by management that have nothing to do with Petey’s contract negotiations and nothing to do with his next contract.  Petey on the open market is an $11-12 million player.  You even admit this yourself.  He’s not going to take a discount because of mismanagement of the cap by our GM’s…

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

11 hours ago, HKSR said:

Yeah, but they don't know either.  Historically the cap has never jumped up like that year over year.  It's usually in the $2M to $2.5M range. 

With COVID the cap stayed the same and should have gone up this season.To be fair that's why it should jump more.In two years yes it should be over 90 mill.

If not Bettman should have walking papers as owners want it up ASAP.

16 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Let’s make this real simple.  Petey on the open market is worth up to $12 million.  If Allvin can sign him for a bit less then he’s a genius.  You even admit that Petey can get $12 million on the open market, so what exactly is the issue?

As @wai_lai416 already pointed out it’s not EP’s problem that previous and current management have overpaid guys to screw up our cap.  It’s not Petey’s problem that we are paying a 3rd liner $5 million, a guy in the press box $5.5 million, a bottom pairing Dman $6 million, and on top of all of that we need to keep paying a guy for the next 7 years who is not even on the roster.

Those are bad decisions by management that have nothing to do with Petey’s contract negotiations and nothing to do with his next contract.  Petey on the open market is an $11-12 million player.  You even admit this yourself.  He’s not going to take a discount because of mismanagement of the cap by our GM’s…

It could come down to a shorter-term deal that potentially walks him to free agency. 

Might end up being able to delay a mega-cap hit to when we could afford it better. Still would be getting quite the raise.