[Report/Rumour] Elias Pettersson Contract Talks

Rubik

2 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

because a sport betting site say they are the odds on favorite therefore they are the odds on favorite?? hellebuyck have way better stats across the board with same amount of wins. if demko haven't been average the last almost 2 months now i would agree with you. demko's stats isn't even close to say stuart skinner in the same span since oiler fired their coach.. demko is not even top 10 in any goalie stats outside of wins right now.. hellebuyck right now is almost 3x demko in goal saved above average and almost superior in every single advance stats.. demko first 1.5 month is the best goalie in the league.. the next 1.5 so far is league average.. hellebuyck have been at or near the top the entire season so far, and his team is tops in the nhl lol.. if vezina voting was today.. hellebuyck prolly gets 99 out of 100 1st place vote

i dont even have to look and i can guarantee you 20 out of 32 teams in the league their 6th and some even 5th highest paid defenceman is in the 775k-800k range.. if your argument is 775k is a bargain compared to 800k ok you win lmao.

Hellebuyck is definitely the favourite for the Vezina right now. Demko will be a finalist. If the vote was today Hellebuyck would win. Let’s see what happens the rest of the year. I’m still not sold on Winnipeg. They may die out the second half of the season. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Coryberg said:

Zadorov isn't young (going to be 29 in a few months) and his decision making isn't always the best. He is strong I will give you that one.

I was talking about Juulsen and our other young defense players.If you dont like Zadorov,we can always step back to our last year D players.We got spoiled this year.So easy to use-to good things.

4 hours ago, Lemon Face said:

I was talking about Juulsen and our other young defense players.If you dont like Zadorov,we can always step back to our last year D players.We got spoiled this year.So easy to use-to good things.

And then we got at least three players on D cming closer to NHL in Willander, PeteyD and Brzustewich

7 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

DeSmith has only played 13 games. He’s a top backup in the league, but definitely not a 1A. At $1.8 million he’s not a huge bargain. A real solid deal though. 

Lafferty has 3 points in his last 14 games. Most of his points have come from playing with Petey. I doubt he gets more than 22-23 points this year. He’s a slight bargain similar to DeSmith. 

Juulsen is a 6/7 Dman. Lots of those guys getting paid in the $1 million range. He’s a slight bargain as well. 

Blueger is on a hot streak. If he continues to light it up then he’s definitely a good bargain. Playing like a $3 million player. 

Joshua is the biggest bargain on the team right now. He’s definitely playing like a $3 million player. 

You forgot about Höglander. He hasn’t spent any time with Petey. Mostly 4th line duties and he’s on pace for 24 goals. 2nd best bargain on the team after Joshua. 

I think Lafferty will finish around 30 points.  22 to 23 would mean he would get 4 to 5 points in the final 40ish games.  I think he goes the rest of the way at a 0.25 PPG pace.  Not a huge difference, still a good bargain.

59 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I think Lafferty will finish around 30 points.  22 to 23 would mean he would get 4 to 5 points in the final 40ish games.  I think he goes the rest of the way at a 0.25 PPG pace.  Not a huge difference, still a good bargain.

I think all the players are good value this season.. but the biggest problem is “this season” lafferty, bleugar, joshua, desmith.. let’s for argument sake I’m going to agree they are great bargain steal etc. they are all ufa next season.. unless we are winning the cup this season.. all those so call bargain is irrelevant unless they have terms remaining and continue to produce at their current rate. The only guy I can see might re-sign at current rate is desmith because of his age. Everyone else would want a raise and based on their play they prolly get their raise elsewhere if not Vancouver. There will be teams that ends up overpaying with the cap raising.. maybe not a contender but some fringe team prolly would.

what we need is bargains that are signed with terms in the middle 6 or the bottom 4. I don’t think we have any outside of maybe hoglander and even he is just 1 more season 

8 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Hellebuyck is definitely the favourite for the Vezina right now. Demko will be a finalist. If the vote was today Hellebuyck would win. Let’s see what happens the rest of the year. I’m still not sold on Winnipeg. They may die out the second half of the season. 

They are overachieving now for sure just like the Canucks are. I hope they both continue all the way to the end would be nice to have 2 Canadian teams finish 1-2 in the west and possibly Edmonton in the 3-4 position.. give the Canadian team a good chance at reaching the final from the west although I honestly don’t care about the other Canadian cities like some ppl here wanting Canada to win a cup if Canucks are out

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

I think all the players are good value this season.. but the biggest problem is “this season” lafferty, bleugar, joshua, desmith.. let’s for argument sake I’m going to agree they are great bargain steal etc. they are all ufa next season.. unless we are winning the cup this season.. all those so call bargain is irrelevant unless they have terms remaining and continue to produce at their current rate. The only guy I can see might re-sign at current rate is desmith because of his age. Everyone else would want a raise and based on their play they prolly get their raise elsewhere if not Vancouver. There will be teams that ends up overpaying with the cap raising.. maybe not a contender but some fringe team prolly would.

what we need is bargains that are signed with terms in the middle 6 or the bottom 4. I don’t think we have any outside of maybe hoglander and even he is just 1 more season 

I think that's where we need to look at our prospect pool and who is replaceable.  The 2 guys I think are replaceable are Blueger and Lafferty.  Blueger because I think Suter can play that role.  Lafferty could be replaced by a few different options from our pool.  If Suter slots into 3C (which is where he started the season), Aman could probably be 4C, or even give Raty a shot at it.

Joshua brings a unique element that I'd hate to lose.  I'd pay up to keep him if possible.

I think we'll part with Cole, and Myers as well unless he is willing to sign for $2M or so (doubt it though as he's putting up a top 4 RHD season). 

We really need Podkolzin to take the next step I think.  I have high hopes for Hirose and/or McWard to step into the 3rd pairing.  Luckily we have Juulsen locked in for another year.  I'd like to see Zadorov back as well simply due to the unique combination of size, strength, and skating ability. 

TBH, I'm not that afraid of losing DeSmith.  I really think Ian Clark can make any goaltender look like a very solid backup. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I think that's where we need to look at our prospect pool and who is replaceable.  The 2 guys I think are replaceable are Blueger and Lafferty.  Blueger because I think Suter can play that role.  Lafferty could be replaced by a few different options from our pool.  If Suter slots into 3C (which is where he started the season), Aman could probably be 4C, or even give Raty a shot at it.

Joshua brings a unique element that I'd hate to lose.  I'd pay up to keep him if possible.

I think we'll part with Cole, and Myers as well unless he is willing to sign for $2M or so (doubt it though as he's putting up a top 4 RHD season). 

We really need Podkolzin to take the next step I think.  I have high hopes for Hirose and/or McWard to step into the 3rd pairing.  Luckily we have Juulsen locked in for another year.  I'd like to see Zadorov back as well simply due to the unique combination of size, strength, and skating ability. 

TBH, I'm not that afraid of losing DeSmith.  I really think Ian Clark can make any goaltender look like a very solid backup. 

Goaltending I’m not overly concern silovs is about time to get a backup role. But the point is in order to be a cup contender imo we need a few forward that’s being paid like a middle 6 to exceed their contract and produce like a top 6. Especially with the cap constraint on this team due to buyouts and overpaid contract. Unless kuzmenko is moved and tbh one of mikheyev and or garland needs to be moved and replaced with someone that provides similar role but at a cheaper cost. Mikheyev and garland are good players just not worth their cap hit for the role they play in. Honestly right now we have no 2nd line now that ep moved back to the lotto line. The 15+ mil tied up between those 3 really should be used to invest on a legit 2nd line if they ain’t gonna produce at a 2nd line rate. I don’t think long term we will continue to have success being a 1 line team and have 2 technically 3rd line and a 4th

2 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

Goaltending I’m not overly concern silovs is about time to get a backup role. But the point is in order to be a cup contender imo we need a few forward that’s being paid like a middle 6 to exceed their contract and produce like a top 6. Especially with the cap constraint on this team due to buyouts and overpaid contract. Unless kuzmenko is moved and tbh one of mikheyev and or garland needs to be moved and replaced with someone that provides similar role but at a cheaper cost. Mikheyev and garland are good players just not worth their cap hit for the role they play in. Honestly right now we have no 2nd line now that ep moved back to the lotto line. The 15+ mil tied up between those 3 really should be used to invest on a legit 2nd line if they ain’t gonna produce at a 2nd line rate. I don’t think long term we will continue to have success being a 1 line team and have 2 technically 3rd line and a 4th

Agreed.  My biggest concern is also that 2nd line.  Clearly the Lotto Line, 3rd line, and 4th lines are doing their part, but Mikheyev is a career best 32 points, and is only on a 47 point pace this season playing a TON with Petey, and we all know the struggles Kuz is having this year.  If I were banking on 1 of those 2 to become a true top 6 winger, I'd put my money on Kuzmenko.  Then comes the 2C issue.  Suter is a 3C or 4C.  Having him play 2C is showing a weakness in our roster that we need to address as well.

45 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

They are overachieving now for sure just like the Canucks are. I hope they both continue all the way to the end would be nice to have 2 Canadian teams finish 1-2 in the west and possibly Edmonton in the 3-4 position.. give the Canadian team a good chance at reaching the final from the west although I honestly don’t care about the other Canadian cities like some ppl here wanting Canada to win a cup if Canucks are out

If you look at the roster construction though its easier to believe in the Canucks. I feel like this season is closer to how they should be with the guys on the team than the past years. The Canucks have the bonafide stars at all the important positions, and depth. The Jets don't quite have the same level of bonafide stars which shows in there lower goals for. They have been extremely good at stopping other teams from scoring which is why they are winning, and they are deep. I'd say more things can go wrong for the Canucks and still win games then the Jets can. Ie - Canucks could start allowing more goals but still win games by outscoring, or they could start slowing down scoring goals but still be stingy defensively. If either of those happen to the Jets they will struggle to keep up the pace.

The Jets schedule on this winning streak of theirs is also very soft in comparison to the Canucks schedule since the Devils loss they almost came back to win and started up their hot streak again. 

9 hours ago, Lemon Face said:

I like Zadorov as long as he is paid for what he is and nit what people would like him to be.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Cole isn’t superior to Zadorov. Cole was the odd man out last game. He’s almost 35. He will be load managed the rest of the year. 

Tocchet specifically targeted Zadorov. He’s his guy. He’s definitely coming back. Probably the same contract as Oleksiak. 4.5x5. 

Guess you missed last night's game. Cole logged 19:20 ... Zadorov logged 15:43

If you are eluding to earlier this week when Cole got a maintenance day? That was the game after Zadorov had a maintenance day. Sorry to shoot down your conspiracy.  

And now I know you are taking a piss...That contract suggestion is atrocious!!

10 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

DeSmith has only played 13 games. He’s a top backup in the league, but definitely not a 1A. At $1.8 million he’s not a huge bargain. A real solid deal though. 

Lafferty has 3 points in his last 14 games. Most of his points have come from playing with Petey. I doubt he gets more than 22-23 points this year. He’s a slight bargain similar to DeSmith. 

Juulsen is a 6/7 Dman. Lots of those guys getting paid in the $1 million range. He’s a slight bargain as well. 

Blueger is on a hot streak. If he continues to light it up then he’s definitely a good bargain. Playing like a $3 million player. 

Joshua is the biggest bargain on the team right now. He’s definitely playing like a $3 million player. 

You forgot about Höglander. He hasn’t spent any time with Petey. Mostly 4th line duties and he’s on pace for 24 goals. 2nd best bargain on the team after Joshua. 

I was responding to wai who conceded suter and hoglander were bargains. 

Thank you for confirming that they are bargains.

1 minute ago, Coryberg said:

Guess you missed last night's game. Cole logged 19:20 ... Zadorov logged 15:43

If you are eluding to earlier this week when Cole got a maintenance day? That was the game after Zadorov had a maintenance day. Sorry to shoot down your conspiracy.  

And now I know you are taking a piss...That contract suggestion is atrocious!!

Zadorov didn't take a maintenance day, he had a minor injury to deal with.  Cole was literally a healthy scratch.  

Guess you missed the St. Louis game where Zadorov played 21:19 and Cole played 15:39.

Zadorov is currently being paid almost $4 million.  There is no reason to suggest he will get paid any less than that and probably similar to Oleksiak, who was literally a bottom pairing Dman almost his entire career until he arrived in Seattle.

As for Cole, he probably even isn't on the team next season unless he signs for like $1 million...

• Haha 1

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

Zadorov didn't take a maintenance day, he had a minor injury to deal with.  Cole was literally a healthy scratch.  

Guess you missed the St. Louis game where Zadorov played 21:19 and Cole played 15:39.

Zadorov is currently being paid almost $4 million.  There is no reason to suggest he will get paid any less than that and probably similar to Oleksiak, who was literally a bottom pairing Dman almost his entire career until he arrived in Seattle.

As for Cole, he probably even isn't on the team next season unless he signs for like $1 million...

at worse zadorov will get a raise just for the cap going up and sign for the same % as last time and get his 4tmil. 

1 minute ago, wai_lai416 said:

at worse zadorov will get a raise just for the cap going up and sign for the same % as last time and get his 4tmil. 

Yes, his price will be at $4 million on the bottom end.  If Allvin can get him to sign for that amount, then that is the best case scenario.  He is a UFA so there might be alot of interest in him.

@Coryberg  Erik Gudbranson is being paid $4 million.  You think Gudbranson is a better player than Zadorov?

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Zadorov.... 38 games 18:21 toi

Cole....        41 games 19:23 toi

If Cole is only worth 1 million than your ridiculous contract proposal for Zadorov is a new level of stupid 

5 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yes, his price will be at $4 million on the bottom end.  If Allvin can get him to sign for that amount, then that is the best case scenario.  He is a UFA so there might be alot of interest in him.

@Coryberg  Erik Gudbranson is being paid $4 million.  You think Gudbranson is a better player than Zadorov?

Gudbranson is a horrible contract to sign with a horrible team. If that's the base of your argument you are in deep trouble.

1 hour ago, Coryberg said:

Zadorov.... 38 games 18:21 toi

Cole....        41 games 19:23 toi

If Cole is only worth 1 million than your ridiculous contract proposal for Zadorov is a new level of stupid 

Reading comprehension isn’t your forte I see. I said Cole will be lucky to sign for $1 million next year for the Canucks as he won’t be a priority for us. He’s 35 years old and will be a 3rd pairing Dman real soon. 

Meanwhile Zadorov will be signing an extension with the Canucks in the $4-4.5 million range. I’ll make sure to remind you of this when it happens. That will be real fun and then we’ll see who the stupid one is. 

2 hours ago, Hammertime said:

@Elias Pettersson

Dude sign. Don't go the way of the BOzo. 

We have a real chance at a Cinderella run here. Knowing what moves we can and cannot make at the deadline could be the difference between contenders and pretenders. 

This is the heart of it...at least give Mgmt a sense of where this is all headed so that they can build a team with or without you.

2 hours ago, Hammertime said:

@Elias Pettersson

Dude sign. Don't go the way of the BOzo. 

We have a real chance at a Cinderella run here. Knowing what moves we can and cannot make at the deadline could be the difference between contenders and pretenders. 

This is absolutely the point it is at.

Petterson extending now means the other contracts can also be worked on and Allvin has an idea of his cap structure next year so he has the option of making moves that bring back players with term left.

This has to have been communicated to his agent, but he also is repped by a guy known for playing hardball.  He already held Petterson and Hughes out of training camp once as RFAs, how much harder will it be when you are talking about UFA years.

18 minutes ago, Provost said:

This is absolutely the point it is at.

Petterson extending now means the other contracts can also be worked on and Allvin has an idea of his cap structure next year so he has the option of making moves that bring back players with term left.

This has to have been communicated to his agent, but he also is repped by a guy known for playing hardball.  He already held Petterson and Hughes out of training camp once as RFAs, how much harder will it be when you are talking about UFA years.

That first bit is leverage, that can't be understated. It's not an agent's job to care about the cap structure of NHL organizations beyond how it impacts their clients. Not being able to hammer out other deals places pressure on Allvin and co to get something done. Management get paid to sort out that puzzle, agents get paid to get players as much as they can.

Having a hardball agent also dampens the possibility of the Canucks getting much of a discount from either Pettersson or Hughes imo, and their sitting out in the past is worth highlighting because I think some folks have forgotten that bit. The stakes are higher now than they were when Pettersson and Hughes were negotiating their last deals, the numbers will be much bigger. 

The Canucks will likely end up paying market value for Pettersson imo, most stars don't take discounts. Wouldn't be surprised if Hughes ends up being paid more than Pettersson when it's all said and done. 

Edited by Coconuts