[Report/Rumour] Elias Pettersson Contract Talks

Rubik

8 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

If it's not cheap, then he better damn be here long term. 

Considering our window is about 2-4 years, I don’t mind him going shorter term. 

24 minutes ago, Odd. said:

The Hughes window is around four years but if Petey stays til he retires it will be around 10 years. Especially if Hughes are going to stay also.

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Bob Long said:

it is leverage, which is why the whole "I don't want to distract my team mates" thing is a bit hard to swallow when it goes on for a long time. Everyone knows Petey's AAV will have a direct effect on who's coming back next season. 

I think up until the last week or so, the "I don't want it to be a distraction" excuse made sense and was valid. But now that the Lotto line is flying, Peteys contract is being brought up by every analyst and podcast host in every segment.  Now Petey not signing is becoming the distraction.

I'm really hoping he has enough team character to realize this and get a deal done asap.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

6 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

I think up until the last week or so, the "I don't want it to be a distraction" excuse made sense and was valid. But now that the Lotto line is flying, Peteys contract is being brought up by every analyst and podcast host in every segment.  Now Petey not signing is becoming the distraction.

I'm really hoping he has enough team character to realize this and get a deal done asap.

I hope so too.

I think that's why the agent is now saying talks are starting.

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I hope so too.

I think that's why the agent is now saying talks are starting.

That’s good news the agent said talks are starting. Should be easy enough to get done. Petey makes a proposal and Allvin accepts. 

• Vintage 1

49 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

Yup, totally accurate.  Him not signing is WAY more of a distraction.  

• Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, Alflives said:

That’s good news the agent said talks are starting. Should be easy enough to get done. Petey makes a proposal and Allvin accepts. 

Petey can easily demand 100 mil now. I hope he does something a little more team friendly, if Aqua is willing to go max bonus structure to keep the AAV down.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

Petey can easily demand 100 mil now. I hope he does something a little more team friendly, if Aqua is willing to go max bonus structure to keep the AAV down.

Nearly impossible to win a Cup without having an elite 1C, like Petey, and an elite 1D, like Hughes. Would be great if Petey signs a team friendly deal, but getting him done is a must. 

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Nearly impossible to win a Cup without having an elite 1C, like Petey, and an elite 1D, like Hughes. Would be great if Petey signs a team friendly deal, but getting him done is a must. 

the basics have always been the same. 1C, 1D, good goalie, big defence, etc. 

Allvin really has no leverage, other than a trade but there's a better chance of Linden coming back to play C. 

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

the basics have always been the same. 1C, 1D, good goalie, big defence, etc. 

Allvin really has no leverage, other than a trade but there's a better chance of Linden coming back to play C. 

Where did you hear Petey’s agent say talks have started? 

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Where did you hear Petey’s agent say talks have started? 

"Pettersson's agent, J.P. Barry, says that process has begun, but added that it's up to his client to determine how engaged they want to be in contract negotiations while the team is in the midst of an impressive regular season."

Full Article

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

What’s the max bonus structure?

Something like say a $10M x 8yr.

Year 1 - $9M bonus + $1M salary

Year 2 - $9M bonus + $1M salary 

etc

9 minutes ago, BPA said:

What’s the max bonus structure?

Something like say a $10M x 8yr.

Year 1 - $9M bonus + $1M salary

Year 2 - $9M bonus + $1M salary 

etc

I think its the full annual salary - the base NHL salary. Matthews deal e.g., only has ~750k in salary, rest bonus, and its as front loaded as possible (https://www.capfriendly.com/players/auston-matthews)

So if Petey did something like this, he can take a bit lower AAV because he can make more in investments, etc.

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

I hope his competitiveness trumps his desire for money.  What's another 5-8m in a lifetime vs. championships you can't buy.  Plus if Petey is smart with his money he could make that just buying his place here and living in it.

I also think Miller taking a bit less will help and I can see Huggy taking a discount on his next contract to win.

• ThereItIs 1

Just now, Rusty Shackleford said:

I hope his competitiveness trumps his desire for money.  What's another 5-8m in a lifetime vs. championships you can't buy.  Plus if Petey is smart with his money he could make that just buying his place here and living in it.

I also think Miller taking a bit less will help and I can see Huggy taking a discount on his next contract to win.

thats why I'm thinking the Matthews deal structure might be the way to thread the AAV needle. 

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

thats why I'm thinking the Matthews deal structure might be the way to thread the AAV needle. 

A shorter term deal wouldn't shock me at all, I think we'll see more stars going that route. Probably not most of them, but more of them. Matthews will show that top end guys can probably make more on multiple shorter deals than a single large one. 

• Vintage 2

13 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

A shorter term deal wouldn't shock me at all, I think we'll see more stars going that route. Probably not most of them, but more of them. Matthews will show that top end guys can probably make more on multiple shorter deals than a single large one. 

15 million in cash in year one probably doesn't hurt either.

31 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

15 million in cash in year one probably doesn't hurt either.

Cash on hand is better than a pay check per week/ 2 week.  

As you said, one can do lot of investments with a big signing bonus each year.

Nylander contract is not as heavy on the signing bonus as Matthew’s contract 

7 minutes ago, BPA said:

Cash on hand is better than a pay check per week/ 2 week.  

As you said, one can do lot of investments with a big signing bonus each year.

Nylander contract is not as heavy on the signing bonus as Matthew’s contract 

nope, it gives a little bit of protection for the owners I guess. But I bet Aqua is willing to go all-in on keeping Petey. I guess we'll find out. 

How about $10 mil x 5 years. He will be 30 year old then, at that time sign a retirement contact here or somewhere else. As our Cup window probably like 1-5 years. I like the short term contact tbh.

15 hours ago, Odd. said:

I mean, there are ways to lengthen that window. it doesn't have to be 2-4 years, and then that's it. 

13 hours ago, HKSR said:

Yup, totally accurate.  Him not signing is WAY more of a distraction.  

And it's only going to get worse as the season progresses. Which is why to me, it makes little to zero sense that he hasn't signed already. He could very well become a distraction for the team moving forward, no? Media circuses asking the question every single game. 

• Like 1