[Report/Rumour] Elias Pettersson Contract Talks

Rubik

14 hours ago, Metal Face Doom said:

Petey isn't signing for anything less than 11.5 per.

Fine. Give it to him lol

His agent says that he's the one that isn't ready to sign.

• Vintage 1

8 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Fine. Give it to him lol

His agent says that he's the one that isn't ready to sign.

They are holding out to see how well he does including playoffs 

ex: say nucks win cup and EP wins conn Smyth … now he will be asking for league max 

37 minutes ago, canucks curse said:

ex: say nucks win cup and EP wins conn Smyth … now he will be asking for league max 

Even if that happens the most he gets is Matthews money. So cup + conn smythe = $13M. Mackinnon was 1.2 points per game on the way to their cup, he got $12.6M. Both those guys win more faceoffs.

imo it's pretty hard to make a 12+M case for Petey.

51 minutes ago, canucks curse said:

Petey will sign soon enough. Likely a 3-4 year term to keep the cap allocation lower. 

22 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Petey will sign soon enough. Likely a 3-4 year term to keep the cap allocation lower. 

Did Matthew sign a 3-4 years term to keep the cap allocation lower? Why do ppl think signing a short term = cap allocation is lower? If anything short term cap allocation is even higher 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

Did Matthew sign a 3-4 years term to keep the cap allocation lower? Why do ppl think signing a short term = cap allocation is lower? If anything short term cap allocation is even higher 

Matthews signed for 4 years simply to cash in again 13 for 4 years and as an example 15 for 4 year after is more than 13x8yrs,I assume petey is going to want to follow this and sign 4 years @ 11.5-12.5  is my guess

28 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I really don't see why there's such a hold up. If he's been offered 11+ already what is he waiting for? Makes me lose a lil respect for him. He's handcuffing what MGMT can do at the DL by not signing. 

18 minutes ago, N7_Gyoza said:

Matthews signed for 4 years simply to cash in again 13 for 4 years and as an example 15 for 4 year after is more than 13x8yrs,I assume petey is going to want to follow this and sign 4 years @ 11.5-12.5  is my guess

Sure or he could take a puck in the face or need shoulder/knee surgery and he's 46m$ poorer. seems like a terrible idea to try to squeeze every last cent when you're being offered 8 years guaranteed 11.5m. 

Edited by Hammertime
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Just now, Hammertime said:

Sure or he could take a puck in the face or need shoulder surgery and he's 46m$ poorer. seems like a terrible idea to try to squeeze every last cent when you're being offered 8 years guaranteed 11.5m. 

Yep. Particularly if you can get max bonus money.

• Cheers 1

Nylander didn’t set the market,,, treliving is an incompetent GM, this is like saying benning set 4th line dollar figure when he signed beagle and rousell, we should all be happy we get to point and laugh when petey signs for similar or less money than a super soft winger 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

7 minutes ago, Captain insano said:

Nylander didn’t set the market,,, treliving is an incompetent GM, this is like saying benning set 4th line dollar figure when he signed beagle and rousell, we should all be happy we get to point and laugh when petey signs for similar or less money than a super soft winger 

Unfortunately like it or not it's a comparable. As for Benning 4th line deals that doesn't hold much weight at the table when there are hundreds of 4th liners to choose from. Superstars are in demand and are scarce. Nobody is just going to let them walk.

9 minutes ago, Devron said:

Guarantee you he gets at least that 

I don't know.

Hughes and Miller set the contract precedent on this team.

Obviously he will be more due to always growing market value but not that much more I don't think.

I'd say 11.5 is an absolute maximum 

11 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

And it's only going to get worse as the season progresses. Which is why to me, it makes little to zero sense that he hasn't signed already. He could very well become a distraction for the team moving forward, no? Media circuses asking the question every single game. 

That isn't Petey's fault and it's RIDICULOUS to come to the conclusion that a frenzied media and fanatical fans should determine when a player signs.  He was crystal clear that he wasn't going to negotiate/sign during the season.  He's a man of his word and I respect him for that.

For those thinking he should take a discount, would you take a pay cut for your job?  I sure as hell wouldn't, especially if I could take 1 hit and lose my job forever.

54 minutes ago, Breadnbutta said:

I don't know.

Hughes and Miller set the contract precedent on this team.

Obviously he will be more due to always growing market value but not that much more I don't think.

I'd say 11.5 is an absolute maximum 

hughes and miller did not set any contract precedent on this team lol.. hughes signed for what would have been his market value at the time at a max term coming off a horrendous season defensively and not knowing whether or not he'll be more of a tyson barrie so it's a gamble on both side and QH lost. Miller cashed with his 99 point season but the biggest sticking point with miller is never the money it's the term.. how long can he stay at being a ppg guy? this is only year 1 which he's absolutely kiling it. but year 1 2 and prolly 3 was never going to be the issue.. it's year 4 5 6 7 when he's 34-37 how effective can he stay? he has a 15 team m ntc along with it in the last couple years so he's pretty much going to be unmovable if he becomes an anchor and say we are on the verge of contending for a cup.. as he'd rather stay here or go to a contending team only even if his plays falls off a cliff.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, N7_Gyoza said:

That is it.  If Petey signs a 3-4 year deal now, he can then demand a max term deal before he is 30 and extend his peak earning years into his late 30’s and get a contract that will be an anchor for the team for the last half of it.

There is no reason for him not to sign now that is anything but bad news for the team.  Do we really want to be having him unsigned and fielding offer sheets after the season or having the brass be completely paralyzed and unable to extend/sign anyone in the offseason because we are waiting for what an arb award number is late summer? … the agent has already publicly thrown that possibility out there.

Edited by Provost
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Provost said:

That is it.  If Petey signs a 3-4 year deal now, he can then demand a max term deal before he is 30 and extend his peak earning years into his late 30’s and get a contract that will be an anchor for the team for the last half of it.

There is no reason for him not to sign now that is anything but bad news for the team.  Do we really want to be having him unsigned and fielding offer sheets after the season or having the brass be completely paralyzed and unable to extend/sign anyone in the offseason because we are waiting for what an arb award number is late summer? … the agent has already publicly thrown that possibility out there.

So realistically wer're saying 10m x 4 then?

1 hour ago, Coryberg said:

Unfortunately like it or not it's a comparable. As for Benning 4th line deals that doesn't hold much weight at the table when there are hundreds of 4th liners to choose from. Superstars are in demand and are scarce. Nobody is just going to let them walk.

Yeah, folks really need to let the narrative of Toronto players not being cap comparables around the league because Toronto's management can't argue favourable deals die. Those contracts are comparables and will be used as such by players and agents. 

Every deal signed around the league can be used as a comparable. 

16 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

hughes and miller did not set any contract precedent on this team lol.. hughes signed for what would have been his market value at the time at a max term coming off a horrendous season defensively and not knowing whether or not he'll be more of a tyson barrie so it's a gamble on both side and QH lost. Miller cashed with his 99 point season but the biggest sticking point with miller is never the money it's the term.. how long can he stay at being a ppg guy? this is only year 1 which he's absolutely kiling it. but year 1 2 and prolly 3 was never going to be the issue.. it's year 4 5 6 7 when he's 34-37 how effective can he stay? he has a 15 team m ntc along with it in the last couple years so he's pretty much going to be unmovable if he becomes an anchor and say we are on the verge of contending for a cup.. as he'd rather stay here or go to a contending team only even if his plays falls off a cliff.

The narrative that Quinn took a team friendly deal also needs to die, because he didn't. Both he and Pettersson sat out and took at least market value on their current deals, those were not easy negotiations. Neither player gave a discount of any sort, Hughes's deal has just aged better because it's got more term attached to it. 

I said this the other day, Miller wasn't willing to bet on himself the way Pettersson is and took the security in the form of dollars and term. Could he have gotten more if he'd waited? Absolutely, but he chose to take the sure thing. And as you've said, skeptics of the deal weren't expecting him to immediately fall off a cliff, it's the latter end of the deal that most critics didn't like. He's fine at 8M right now, we'll see where he's at when he's 33-34+. 

• ThereItIs 1

12 minutes ago, Provost said:

canucks are going to take EP to abitration before he's eligible for offer sheet.. i'm 99% sure they will because if a team does a 1 year offer sheet and vancouver matches they can't even trade him 

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

Yeah, folks really need to let the narrative of Toronto players not being cap comparables around the league because Toronto's management can't argue favourable deals die. Those contracts are comparables and will be used as such by players and agents. 

Every deal signed around the league can be used as a comparable. 

The narrative that Quinn took a team friendly deal also needs to die, because he didn't. Both he and Pettersson sat out and took at least market value on their current deals, those were not easy negotiations. Neither player gave a discount of any sort, Hughes's deal has just aged better because it's got more term attached to it. 

I said this the other day, Miller wasn't willing to bet on himself the way Pettersson is and took the security in the form of dollars and term. Could he have gotten more if he'd waited? Absolutely, but he chose to take the sure thing. And as you've said, skeptics of the deal weren't expecting him to immediately fall off a cliff, it's the latter end of the deal that most critics didn't like. He's fine at 8M right now, we'll see where he's at when he's 33-34+. 

i actually thought EP took a slight discount i actually thought he'd be closer to 7.8 even on a 3 year not much but it's still a little

1 minute ago, wai_lai416 said:

i actually thought EP took a slight discount i actually thought he'd be closer to 7.8 even on a 3 year not much but it's still a little

If he did it wasn't much, seemed like Hughes and Pettersson largely got what they wanted last go round. One could probably argue that if Pettersson did take a little less it was to keep the term down, which has brought us to where we are now. 

Canucks are fortunate Hughes was willing to take the security in the form of longer term. Demko was probably Benning's best piece of work. 

4 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

If he did it wasn't much, seemed like Hughes and Pettersson largely got what they wanted last go round. One could probably argue that if Pettersson did take a little less it was to keep the term down, which has brought us to where we are now. 

Canucks are fortunate Hughes was willing to take the security in the form of longer term. Demko was probably Benning's best piece of work. 

ya i agreed benning f it up big time lol he didn't even have the cap space to sign EP to a 8 year contract at say even 8.5 or 9 at the time anyways even if he was willing to go long term that's too bad and now they are going to pay for it

31 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

So realistically wer're saying 10m x 4 then?

No… probably $12 million x3-4 years 

The point though is signing the same deal now Vs. In the offseason will change the team’s fortunes going forward.

There will be opportunity costs in terms of possible trades we can’t complete between now and the deadline because we don’t have cost certainty.  There will be issues extending other players because we don’t have cost certainty.  We will likely lose some of our depth players as we won’t be able to sign them as we will be waiting to see Peterson’s cap number as late as August when an arb award would be decided.

31 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

canucks are going to take EP to abitration before he's eligible for offer sheet.. i'm 99% sure they will because if a team does a 1 year offer sheet and vancouver matches they can't even trade him 

Club elected arbitration doesn’t stop him from accepting offer sheets.

They take him to arbitration and he has a solid window to go shopping for offer sheets.

No one is making a one year offer sheet to Petterson.  Give up four 1st round picks just for one season and walking him to free agency?