[Report/Rumour] Elias Pettersson Contract Talks

Rubik

23 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Swedish players are smarter than American players. Dahlin signed a bridge deal and now is breaking the bank on a new 8 year extension. Petey will be doing the same thing. 

Compare that to Jack Hughes who jumped on the money right away and now is underpaid by like $4 million a year already in only his second year of his new deal. Even brother Quinn did the same thing with a longer term deal and is now underpaid for for the next 4 years by around $3 million. Tage Thompson totally screwed up. Should have signed short term as well but took the money on a long term deal. 

Nylander who is basically Swedish as well is doing the same thing maximizing his value this year for a huge payday. These Swedish players are smart. Can’t really find any top elite Swedish players that are vastly underpaid with a long term contract. 

to be fair it's a lot easier to bet on yourself when you are already having success.. Jack was a .5ppg guy when he signed.. i doubt anyone including himself predicted he all of a sudden would explode..same with Quinn who was god awful defensively prior to signing so luck was on the teams side and the player wasn't willing to take the gamble.. because they have had no prior success in the nhl to make that gamble. nylander on the other hand already have a track record of success in the nhl so it's much easier to bet on themselves.

20 minutes ago, Sophomore Jinx said:

The crazy thing about EP40's is that he looks like he's barely breaking a sweat...like he knows that he's a game-breaking, unassuming freak of nature

Yep. Last night might not be the best example since they scored so many goals, but he had such an unassuming 3 points; I feel like that happens a lot. Not saying he isn't eye catching and spectacular at times, but is...well unassuming often. Like the assist on the Mikheyev goal, I didn't really notice his play during the run of play and then you watch the replay and see how unbelievable a play it was that would have been a nothing play with 99% of players standing where he was. He makes things look easy.

With someone like McDavid you see him blast around players and can attribute his success to the speed you can obviously see he possesses and can use hands at. Pettersson is more of a Jokic type, where its a little harder to understand why he is so good when he doesn't seem to be faster or stronger than anybody.

Edited by Tower102
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, qwijjibo said:

His price is going up with every game played 

This guy will be getting paid and all those proposals of 11m or even 10.5m per season have got to be kidding themselves at this point.

If he's similar to Matthews in points this year... I would expect a contract similar to that. Pettersson's arguably even more well-rounded than Matthews.

6 minutes ago, The Lock said:

This guy will be getting paid and all those proposals of 11m or even 10.5m per season have got to be kidding themselves at this point.

If he's similar to Matthews in points this year... I would expect a contract similar to that. Pettersson's arguably even more well-rounded than Matthews.

Yeah, I'd take Pettersson over Matthews every day of the week 

Edited by qwijjibo
  • Cheers 2

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

It’s between him and Quinn. Right now I think they are 1-2. 

Yup. we are in the best ever years of our club. We have a young elite D, elite centre, and elite goalie all at the same time. We haven’t had that before. This is exactly what tesm’s who won Cups have. We are going to celebrate our guys winning the Cup the coming summer.

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yup. we are in the best ever years of our club. We have a young elite D, elite centre, and elite goalie all at the same time. We haven’t had that before. This is exactly what tesm’s who won Cups have. We are going to celebrate our guys winning the Cup the coming summer.

At least Benning got one thing right. And he listened to his scouts for those particular picks. The Miller trade also was a good piece of business. Pretty much everything else though was either meh or a complete disaster. 

15 hours ago, qwijjibo said:

His price is going up with every game played 

He bet on himself and it's paying off.  If the Canucks managed to re-sign him earlier, probably would have saved $2m+ AAV on the cap.  Petey is pushing 13m now.

• ThereItIs 1

On 9/21/2023 at 5:51 PM, Bobby James said:

That actually could be pretty close and I could see it happening. 

I have a feeling Petey may only want to go 4-5 years instead of 8 (which the team will want). 

Something a little more "friendly" would be great, but in the same ballpark -> 5 years (takes him to 30) x $10 million per. 

Petey hits 10 million but doesn't go the Toronto route and he sets the team's internal cap max for a bit. He also sets himself to sign another contract while he is still incredible which at that time could look something like 6 years x 13-14 million per. 

No way is he leaving tens of millions on the table.   He's either signing a year deal with us, or an 8 year deal. 

On 11/4/2023 at 9:56 AM, HKSR said:

He bet on himself and it's paying off.  If the Canucks managed to re-sign him earlier, probably would have saved $2m+ AAV on the cap.  Petey is pushing 13m now.

Right now yes.   But is he going to score 143 points?   

I think he is going to sign 5 years 12 mill.  I have to think that it will get done pretty shortly.  Guys are taking shorter deals at this age to maximize career earnings, which I think is what EP does as well.

9 minutes ago, BCNate said:

I think he is going to sign 5 years 12 mill.  I have to think that it will get done pretty shortly.  Guys are taking shorter deals at this age to maximize career earnings, which I think is what EP does as well.

That would be terrible for the Canucks. No way we should go to 12 unless its 8 years. I wouldn't play too much hardball on a negotiation with Petey as long as its 8 year max, if he tries for a shorter deal then the pencils get sharpened. 

46 minutes ago, IBatch said:

No way is he leaving tens of millions on the table.   He's either signing a year deal with us, or an 8 year deal. 

Right now yes.   But is he going to score 143 points?   

Matthews just signed a four year extension, I wouldn't be shocked to see Pettersson take less than max term. It'd be a gamble, sure, but one that would be more likely to pay off than not. 

I think it's a bit extreme to assume it's either one year or eight, I think middle of the road term is very much possible.

Say he signs a four year extension and falls rom 100 points to say.. 80-90ish, he'd likely at least make what he'd made on his expiring deal, if not more, because of the rising cap. If he continues to produce he gets a sizeable raise and likely a longer deal at closer to 29.

Locking in long-term negatively impacts Pettersson's ability to cash in on a rising cap. The fact that he went into this season without an extension was a risk, there was never any guarantee he'd replicate last season but now he's well on his way to doing so. Pettersson has already demonstrated a willingness to bet on himself, I don't see why he wouldn't do it again with a 4-5 year deal. He's going to get paid regardless.

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Tower102 said:

That would be terrible for the Canucks. No way we should go to 12 unless its 8 years. I wouldn't play too much hardball on a negotiation with Petey as long as its 8 year max, if he tries for a shorter deal then the pencils get sharpened. 

If the Canucks can get him on 12x5 at this point they should take it and run, if he wins any hardware this season his ask likely only goes up. He's a top 10 NHL forward, there's no way he's not going to be paid like one. 

• Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Matthews just signed a four year extension, I wouldn't be shocked to see Pettersson take less than max term. It'd be a gamble, sure, but one that would be more likely to pay off than not. 

I think it's a bit extreme to assume it's either one year or eight, I think middle of the road term is very much possible.

Say he signs a four year extension and falls rom 100 points to say.. 80-90ish, he'd likely at least make what he'd made on his expiring deal, if not more, because of the rising cap. If he continues to produce he gets a sizeable raise and likely a longer deal at closer to 29.

Locking in long-term negatively impacts Pettersson's ability to cash in on a rising cap. The fact that he went into this season without an extension was a risk, there was never any guarantee he'd replicate last season but now he's well on his way to doing so. Pettersson has already demonstrated a willingness to bet on himself, I don't see why he wouldn't do it again with a 4-5 year deal. He's going to get paid regardless.

Yes you're right it's a bit extreme.   A mid level deal likely is also on the table, just not sure where they'd find the cap for only buying EPs best seasons.    Nice thing is the teams playing great and so is he.    Hopefully he signs with us and it's 8 years.    It's definitely not the norm (usually bridge deals that work out earns a massive money deal).   Mathews also signed a longer bridge ...

Edit:  As an aside, the stuff that happened right after the cap started into the early 2010's, doesn't happen much anymore if ever.   Days of 4-5 year deals have been gone for a decade or so now as far as the cream goes. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1