[Report/Rumour] Elias Pettersson Contract Talks

Rubik

32 minutes ago, Tank said:

if EP doesn't report, he will not make a dime in NHL and will probably back to SHL.

lol you think columbus will trade away all their asset for a player that won't play for them?

3 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Agreed, and finding an equivalent fit wouldn't be easy

Not impossible, but def not easy

For example, Ottawa doesn't need Pettersson, they have a 1C in Stutzle locked in long term at 8.3M

The other wrinkle is it'd have to be a team Pettersson would be willing to extend with or you may as well scrap the whole idea

having Stutzle and Petey would be one heck of a combo tho. 

yep the extension part is a big wrinkle. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Diamonds said:

Yep, the only way we would come close to directly recuperating Pettersson's value would be by trading him to a team looking to shake things up. For example, if Carolina gets bounced first round they might be willing to entertain an Aho for Petey deal to shake things up if Petey is a sign and trade. But, the likelihood of a trade like that happening is pretty slim.

If it comes down to having to trade Pettersson it's much more likely that the key piece in the return is a high end young player with a lot of potential still (an Adam Fantilli type) with other supporting pieces like draft picks and depth players to round it out. Obviously in the immediate future it would be a downgrade but the return theoretically has the ability to be as good as Pettersson, just much more of a gamble.

there aren't too many players you would think could get close to the 100 pts Petey will put up. Barzal maybe? that would be interesting. 

I don't think you can look at a Petey deal and think you'd replace all of his ability. You'd be looking at salvaging as much as you could vs. letting him walk for nothing in a year. 

So from that pov maybe Petey for Bazal in theory would be fine. Bring Barzal home and still have a solid top 6 under cost control. 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

for sure, I'm just thinking more about what might be possible. 

So you guys think,they will trade superior player Jack Hughes for garbage(in your opinion)Pettersson.????Even for a forum is to much.So much hate for yours top player.You want great player for cheep?Good luck.And dont come back with Vegas at me back.Old story and cheep

8 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

there aren't too many players you would think could get close to the 100 pts Petey will put up. Barzal maybe? that would be interesting. 

I don't think you can look at a Petey deal and think you'd replace all of his ability. You'd be looking at salvaging as much as you could vs. letting him walk for nothing in a year. 

So from that pov maybe Petey for Bazal in theory would be fine. Bring Barzal home and still have a solid top 6 under cost control. 

I was thinking, "Hmm... wonder what the NYI have that could be an addition to Barzal... let's check out their prospects..." 

Man, their prospect pool is TERRIBLE.  There's next to NOTHING in their pipeline. 

7 minutes ago, Lemon Face said:

So you guys think,they will trade superior player Jack Hughes for garbage(in your opinion)Pettersson.????Even for a forum is to much.So much hate for yours top player.You want great player for cheep?Good luck.And dont come back with Vegas at me back.Old story and cheep

when did anyone say Petey was garbage? hate? :classic_blink:

Just now, HKSR said:

I was thinking, "Hmm... wonder what the NYI have that could be an addition to Barzal... let's check out their prospects..." 

Man, their prospect pool is TERRIBLE.  There's next to NOTHING in their pipeline. 

yeah its pretty trash. We took their best prospect in the Bo deal 🤣

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

having Stutzle and Petey would be one heck of a combo tho. 

yep the extension part is a big wrinkle. 

It's true, but they also have Josh Norris locked up to back Stutzle up already 

It's hard to argue that the Sens don't need some sort of change, but a lot of their woes can probably be pinned on goaltending and coaching 

At 71 it's not as if Jacques Martin is a longer-term option, Korpisalo also has another four years left on his deal at 4M per 

Maybe they shuffle it by moving Chychrun although I it'd cost quite a bit, he's been good this season , gotta think they'll be looking to flip Tarasenko somewhere too NTC or not 

Sens have also really missed having Chabot healthy, he's been injured a fair bit this season and missing their #1D hasn't helped things, he's only played 16 games

4 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

when did anyone say Petey was garbage? hate? :classic_blink:

You guys treating Pettersson like such.Just for money.Many here talking only about 8-9-10 mill or trade.Sedins got all money they wanted,and never ever no one dared to say trade them.

Just now, Lemon Face said:

You guys treating Pettersson like such.Just for money.Many here talking only about 8-9-10 mill or trade.Sedins got all money they wanted,and never ever no one dared to say trade them.

People put up trade Sedin threads constantly. 

Its OK if it bothers you, but others are fine to rationally discuss the implications of a deal or trade involving Petey. It doesn't mean there's hate or mistreatment of him in any way. 

• Like 1

Just now, Bob Long said:

Its OK if it bothers you, but others are fine to rationally discuss the implications of a deal or trade involving Petey. It doesn't mean there's hate or mistreatment of him in any way. 

Guy is face of this franchise.Listen what other commentators talking about him.All i care is Canucks.I dont have fav players.I only know if you trade him,you are 2 steps back without known future.Illogical to look for this kind of talent for so long and then give up on him.Guy killing every game.He fore check,hit  ,play defense,set up guys and score on his own.What else you want to know?

7 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Exactly.  I don't think anybody here hates Petey.  Some of us just think $12M for him is not good value.  We can all argue about that until we're blue in the face, but those that think the $12M is better spent elsewhere will post trade proposals, no different than what we went through last go around with JT Miller.

• ThereItIs 1

Guy is face of this franchise.Listen what other commentators talking about him.All i care is Canucks.I dont have fav players.I only know if you trade him,you are 2 steps back without known future.Illogical to look for this kind of talent for so long and then give up on him.Guy killing every game.He fore check,hit  ,play defense,set up guys and score on his own.What else you want to know?

And there is nothing personal in this conversation.I am not mad at you or something

3 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Do you genuinely believe Pettersson would sign in Columbus? Isn't he on record stating that he wants to be part of a competitive team? 

Columbus could certainly user a top notch center, but it seems farfetched that Pettersson would sign there long term if he isn't willing to do that on a better team in Vancouver. 

If we sign him for 4 years then trade him before his NMC kicks in he doesn't really have a choice, it depends how long he holds out before signing his next deal.  

6 minutes ago, Lemon Face said:

He is not the face of the franchise. That is Quinn. He is a piece of a nice ensemble cast. Demko, Miller, Petey, Boeser and Hronek. 

Just now, 5forFighting said:

He is not the face of the franchise. That is Quinn. He is a piece of a nice ensemble cast. Demko, Miller, Petey, Boeser and Hronek. 

Why is Queen franchise????Because of 7.5 mill contract???Just rhetorical question.

3 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

If we sign him for 4 years then trade him before his NMC kicks in he doesn't really have a choice, it depends how long he holds out before signing his next deal.  

Already spoke to this, a sign and trade that Pettersson wasn't on board with wouldn't look good for the Canucks. Sign and trades aren't a common occurrence at the NHL level. 

Don't see why a team that's historically been a bottom feeder in Columbus would pony up what it'd cost to acquire Pettersson without having him locked in long-term anyway. Acquiring him and then having to either trade him again down the road or risk having him walk wouldn't be a very smart way to handle assets. 

If Pettersson doesn't want to sign long-term on a team that finally looks to be more of an up and comer than I don't see why he'd sign long-term in Columbus. He's made it pretty clear he wants to be on a winning team.

2 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Sign and trades don't happen much, particularly in season. 

Signing Pettersson under the pretense of his staying in Vancouver and then flipping him would be operating in bad faith, I can't imagine that looking all that great to players and agents around the league. 

A Tkachuk style sign and trade is rare. Devils just signed and traded Severson to Columbus, but that happened in the offseason.

The key piece to both deals is the players were on board with it. If Pettersson signs a deal in good faith and we flip him that's going to be a black mark on the Canucks organization if Pettersson's team hasn't okayed such a move. 

3 minutes ago, 5forFighting said:

I think there's an argument to be had that him and Quinn are both the current faces of the Canucks, the same way the twins were when they were here. 

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

I think there's an argument to be had that him and Quinn are both the current faces of the Canucks, the same way the twins were when they were here. 

Wonder how much he is going to love Queen when his new contract come up.Or we will see  new trade pop up here?

14 minutes ago, Lemon Face said:

Not disputing any of his skill or value.

The scenario some are discussing is how much is too much? Or the scenario if he doesn't want to extend here and try free agency.

So it's theoretical, not personal.

15 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Exactly.  I don't think anybody here hates Petey.  Some of us just think $12M for him is not good value.  We can all argue about that until we're blue in the face, but those that think the $12M is better spent elsewhere will post trade proposals, no different than what we went through last go around with JT Miller.

Bingo. I love JT but the folks worried about 10 mil or more for him had a reasonable argument to make.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

Not disputing any of his skill or value.

The scenario some are discussing is how much is too much? Or the scenario if he doesn't want to extend here and try free agency.

So it's theoretical, not personal.

Bob.We dont know what he want?That is the problem.But i am sure in one thing,i trust our FO

Bob.We dont know what he want?That is the problem.But i am sure in one thing,i trust our FO

I do too, best one we've ever had.

We know what our front office wants, and you know it's a big freaking number they'd pay.

What I don't understand is Peteys reluctance to take the cash.