[Report/Rumour] Elias Pettersson Contract Talks

Rubik

Just now, bh90 said:

i agree

i think in a trade we should expect to get at least a first line forward and a first pairing deenseman. Similar to Tkachuk for Huberdeau and Weegar

Why in the heck do we need either of those? We are looking to add (as JR said) a top six winger. Hughes and Hronek are both elite top D. 

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

I expect it'll be the same thing all over again, folks will love Quinn til he looks to cash in

I don't see that in Quinn. He took a discount on his current contract when Petey didn't. His brother also signed a bargain contract too.

I think the Hughes' prioritize winning 

We shall see about Petey

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Why in the heck do we need either of those? We are looking to add (as JR said) a top six winger. Hughes and Hronek are both elite top D. 

If Petey doesn't want to re-sign with us, then he will be traded next year.

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

i'm not saying we need that

i was commenting on the fact that if we can't re-sign Petey and we have to trade him, we should get a good return.

However, my hope is still that Petey resigns at a reasonable contract.

Just now, HKSR said:

Petey will extend with us though. Only fans of other clubs are suggesting he won’t. Those are loser fans of loser clubs in loser cities. True Canuck fans fans know Petey will extend here. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Petey will extend with us though. Only fans of other clubs are suggesting he won’t. Those are loser fans of loser clubs in loser cities. True Canuck fans fans know Petey will extend here. 

Lol tell that to Patrik Allvin in the interview with sportsnet.

• ThereItIs 1

53 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

I'm sorry; I truly think Pettersson adamantly wants to stay in Van. However that's not to say a gigantic home town discount will be fine, it certainly won't

For two or three years I have thought in or around twelve per with all the goodies. They could try and negotiate that number and see what happens but 

I seriously think that is it. Agent demands more?  Tata Pete..  suffice.

I think you can make up for a small cap reduction with max bonus money.

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I think he likely will, I just enjoy playing around with ideas on values and trades.

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

Not sure about that.  Quinn is pretty darn unique.  We've never in the history of this franchise had a defenceman like Quinn.  If he wins a Norris, and the Canucks win a Cup with him at the helm, I think most people would just want to give him whatever he wants lol

Quinn is, but I don't think that'll matter. I think there'll always be a segment of the Canucks fanbase that fusses about players getting market value when the dollars amounts are larger. That isn't unique to the Canucks fanbase, but it is what it is. 

Win the cup and folks will still care, it'll just make some folks care less. 

I think a lot of the same folks not wanting to pay Pettersson large dollars will also quibble about Hughes. 

53 minutes ago, Devron said:

I honestly don’t care what he gets. It’s not like negotiating with a first liner, Petey is elite and we still haven’t seen his best. Petey and when Hughes is up can both get top dollar and I won’t blink 

I lean more towards this. Having to pay a homegrown superstar is a great problem to have. 

38 minutes ago, bh90 said:

I don't see that in Quinn. He took a discount on his current contract when Petey didn't. His brother also signed a bargain contract too.

We shall see about Petey

You're wrong on both counts actually. Quinn did not take a discount last time, in fact both him and Pettersson were willing to sit out to get what they wanted. Pettersson took a small discount at best last time, arguably to keep the term down. 

Jack didn't take a discount, he took the guaranteed money. If you look back at the CDC thread a lot of folks were skeptical when Jack got his payday, Devils were gambling that it'd age well and it's paid off spectacularly for them. If anything Jack's lost out on at least ten million dollars by not taking a shorter term deal, gotta credit Jersey for taking the gamble they did. 

Jack Hughes signed his current deal Nov 2021, his 2021-2022 season ended with him having 56 points in 49 games. Point per game, that's great for a young player, but he didn't really blow up til the following season which had him put up 99 points in 78 games. His contract is one of the best value deals in the league, but it's not because he took a discount. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 2

54 minutes ago, bh90 said:

We shall see about Petey

Quinn didn't take a discount though, we paid him more than he was worth at the time in hope he would outproduce his salary which he has, petey is a completly different in situation than quinn or JT when they signed their deals 

Edited by N7_Gyoza

17 minutes ago, HKSR said:

and that's the signal of a full rebuild lol if you think you are going to get anything remotely close to EP's ability and still compete for the playoff.. anything u get back from the ep trade prolly won't come into fruition till 3-4 years down the line even with lekkerimaki and wallinder stepping in prolly still 3-4 years before. you seriously think we are competing in 3-4 years with a 34-35 year old miller minus EP?

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

1 hour ago, ronning4center said:

This is pretty telling.  Alvin usually dodges questions pretty well.  He's all but said this isn't going well and we need to plan for the future.

It certainly seems that way to me. The fact that he would admit now that this isn’t normal says a lot. 

EP really shouldn’t string the team along. Tell the team what you want or tell us you’re leaving. Don’t hurt our future plans with a selfish non-response on the way out 

50 minutes ago, bh90 said:

We shall see about Petey

lol please with this QH took a discount crap.. what part of QH scream a 8mil defenceman when he signed his contract? his stats in the shortened season prior to signing 41 poitns in 56 games - 24.. that translate to 60 points -36 in a 82 game season.. that's a 7.8mil defenceman? he regressed in points and was worse defensively than his 1st season and then signed a 7.8mil contract.. not sure where the discount is.. he have as much of a chance to turn into another tyson barrie as he did turning into the player he is now..

• Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

and that's the signal of a full rebuild lol if you think you are going to get anything remotely close to EP's ability and still compete for the playoff.. anything u get back from the ep trade prolly won't come into fruition till 3-4 years down the line even with lekkerimaki and wallinder stepping in prolly still 3-4 years before. you seriously think we are competing in 3-4 years with a 34-35 year old miller minus EP?

That's pretty narrow minded.  Petey has no say where he's traded.  To Detroit for Larkin+?  Carolina for Aho+? NYI for Barzal+?  Just a few ideas and none of them would set us back that far.

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

That's pretty narrow minded.  Petey has no say where he's traded.  To Detroit for Larkin+?  Carolina for Aho+? NYI for Barzal+?  Just a few ideas and none of them would set us back that far.

And in everyone of those trades we Lose big. Petey is almost as much of an irreplaceable phenom as Hughes. We will sign Petey. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Alflives said:

And in everyone of those trades we Lose big. Petey is almost as much of an irreplaceable phenom as Hughes. We will sign Petey. 

We aren't trying to replace Petey.  We are trying to do as best we can and then using that extra cap space to solidify the team elsewhere.  

For example, if we could trade Petey to Minny for Eriksson Ek, Faber, and a 1st, we will have locked down a 2C to play behind Miller, a top 4 RHD, and we could flip that 1st plus Kuzmenko and a prospect for Guentzel and still have cap savings to find another top 6 forward.

Mikheyev-Miller-Boeser

Guentzel-ErikssonEk-top6F

We wouldn't be stepping back much if at all.

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

We aren't trying to replace Petey.  We are trying to do as best we can and then using that extra cap space to solidify the team elsewhere.  

For example, if we could trade Petey to Minny for Eriksson Ek, Faber, and a 1st, we will have locked down a 2C to play behind Miller, a top 4 RHD, and we could flip that 1st plus Kuzmenko and a prospect for Guentzel and still have cap savings to find another top 6 forward.

Mikheyev-Miller-Boeser

Guentzel-ErikssonEk-top6F

We wouldn't be stepping back much if at all.

Nope. We will extend Petey. The pond is closed.

44E8ECEF-CAA6-4195-B064-AB551942F63F.png.0a420b7cdba7f5384c8e268903fc061c.png

31 minutes ago, HKSR said:

he has no say? detroit is offering you Larkin+ if he refuse to re-sign? aho+? barzal+? which GM is offering you a Larkin+ aho+ barzal+ for a rental??

I have zero concerns about Petey leaving the Canucks high and dry. 

From what I understand, I believe Petey wants to sign a contract that will expire before he turns 30. So, my guess is he wants 4 years. Allvin probably wants him for the max 8. 

Nylander just re-signed for $11.5 x 8, but by 2031, $11 million might not seem so bad.

So, what would Petey be worth in a 4 year contract? I think he'll sign for $11 x 4Then maybe his next contract in 2028 will be huge - $15 x 8

9 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

he has no say? detroit is offering you Larkin+ if he refuse to re-sign? aho+? barzal+? which GM is offering you a Larkin+ aho+ barzal+ for a rental??

If Allvin doesn't let teams talk to him beforehand, how would they know if Petey would re-sign or not?  Look at Bo and the NYI for an example.

1 hour ago, bh90 said:

I love Petey but, i'm now over this.

If he re-signs great. if he really doesn't to re-sign than we don't want him. I'm sure we can get a kings ransom in a trade for him and rather have players that want to be in vancouver than guys just chasing top dollar.

Whatever happens i have full confidence in PA and JR with this one.

Sign Reinhart in Free Agency and bring in 3-4 young, good, and cost controlled players for Petey (a la better package than PLD in WPG/LA)

Been a fan my whole life so it feels personal to me and I understand this sentiment

• Cheers 1