[Report/Rumour] Elias Pettersson Contract Talks

Rubik

1 hour ago, EdgarM said:

Forsberg and his 2 Stanley Cups , among many other accomplishmants, makes him pretty untouchable at this point for me.

Yup. Peter Forsberg was a fabulous player. Petey has a lot of the same qualities. 

Just now, Alflives said:

Yup. Peter Forsberg was a fabulous player. Petey has a lot of the same qualities. 

When Petey at least wins a Cup, I will totally agree with you Alf.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Strawbone said:

I wish this narrative of Petey not wanting to be in Vancouver wasn't so prevalent. I've seen no indication that he's feeling that way, and it feels like baseless speculation. It seems to me he's going about his business in a quiet Swedish way, and simply focusing on hockey. Which he's doing a pretty damn good job at!

well he wants to see how far he can take the team, obviously if he wins the cup he feels he can get league Max and he will, so why sign for 12 mill when he can wait and maybe sign for 14???

1 hour ago, canucks curse said:

well he wants to see how far he can take the team, obviously if he wins the cup he feels he can get league Max and he will, so why sign for 12 mill when he can wait and maybe sign for 14???

If Petey leads us to a Cup, I honestly wouldn't care what they sign Petey for.  The job will be done.  I could die in peace, and I'm sure many other Canuck fans could as well.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, HKSR said:

If Petey leads us to a Cup, I honestly wouldn't care what they sign Petey for.  The job will be done.  I could die in peace, and I'm sure many other Canuck fans could as well.

If Petey leads us to a cup, they can ice a team of stray dogs on skates from the SPCA for the next decade and I'll still be happy!

• Like 2

21 hours ago, 24K said:

If he doesn't re-sign at this point it ain't about winning or not. The guy just plain hate Van or Aqua if he forces his way out. 

Yea, it's strange behaviour. He either hates the team he's playing for, and can't wait to leave (something personal, has nothing to do about winning). Because if Pettersson was to be taken for his word (he says winning matters a great deal for him), then I am not sure why he wouldn't sign already. What would be the hold up at this point? More money? So if it's not winning, then it's greed. He could have millions, and security already, so I'm not sure what the wait is for? He's also hindering the team. He wants to play for a winner, but he won't sign, and that doesn't help management plan to create a winner (knowing how much cap is left), and how to allocate those funds to build a better, more sustainable winner. In other words, Petey's fucking us over by waiting this long to sign. I say, if he doesn't sign by the end of the season, then something is very wrong. Need to start having conversation about trading him unfortunately. 

What the fuck Pettersson. 

32 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Yes, except that we'll want another one. lol 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, canucks curse said:

If he leads us to a cup, I don't care what the team gives him. Give him anything he wants. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Yea, it's strange behaviour. He either hates the team he's playing for, and can't wait to leave (something personal, has nothing to do about winning). Because if Pettersson was to be taken for his word (he says winning matters a great deal for him), then I am not sure why he wouldn't sign already. What would be the hold up at this point? More money? So if it's not winning, then it's greed. He could have millions, and security already, so I'm not sure what the wait is for? He's also hindering the team. He wants to play for a winner, but he won't sign, and that doesn't help management plan to create a winner (knowing how much cap is left), and how to allocate those funds to build a better, more sustainable winner. In other words, Petey's fucking us over by waiting this long to sign. I say, if he doesn't sign by the end of the season, then something is very wrong. Need to start having conversation about trading him unfortunately. 

What the fuck Pettersson. 

This franchise has been complete dog crap for like a decade. I don’t blame him for being cautious before committing long term. Having said that, new management has more than proven themselves to be competent in my eyes, so I hope he signs soon. But if he’s thinking about an 8 year deal… that’s a serious commitment and I think he just wants to be sure his prime years are not wasted. 

No doubt that if his primary concern was winning, he's already with the right team. There is a very small handful of teams he could be traded to who would have even equal chance. So while I believe him when he says he wants to win, I honestly don't think this delay is being driven by that desire.

So then either he dislikes the team (players, coach, GM, ownership) the location, or it's about either money (including tax implications of playing in Canada) or term.

I'm guessing money. The guy wants to get PAID. 

2 hours ago, Strawbone said:

I wish this narrative of Petey not wanting to be in Vancouver wasn't so prevalent. I've seen no indication that he's feeling that way, and it feels like baseless speculation. It seems to me he's going about his business in a quiet Swedish way, and simply focusing on hockey. Which he's doing a pretty damn good job at!

It's nothing but baseless speculation brought up by certain media members who haven't had anything negative to talk about in awhile so they just created something to go off of. And they wonder why no one likes them. 

Edited by Pears
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Reznor said:

No doubt that if his primary concern was winning, he's already with the right team. There is a very small handful of teams he could be traded to who would have even equal chance. So while I believe him when he says he wants to win, I honestly don't think this delay is being driven by that desire.

So then either he dislikes the team (players, coach, GM, ownership) the location, or it's about either money (including tax implications of playing in Canada) or term.

I'm guessing money. The guy wants to get PAID. 

He'll get paid, I think it comes down to how long of a contract or desire to be here in this market 

• Cheers 1

56 minutes ago, Pears said:

It's nothing but baseless speculation brought up by certain media members who haven't had anything negative to talk about in awhile so they just created something to go off of. And they wonder why no one likes them. 

I'm pretty sure that dealing with terrible local media plays a part in how much some players want to stay in a certain market. Vancouver and Toronto seem to be the worst, unfortunately. It may seem like a small point, but having your name constantly associated with negative stories probably really bothers some guys.

14 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Will Elias Pettersson become the greatest Swedish player of all time?

It's wild to me that one of the top producing seasons of all time for the country of Sweden, a top 15 all-time season, came from a D in the 2022-2023 season. 

5 hours ago, Strawbone said:

Squirrely fanbase is squirrelly, it's just now that we're a competitive team it's a different kind of squirrelly. 

Edited by Coconuts

6 hours ago, Coryberg said:

He is... unless you think that Juulsen was.

just because he's playing top 4 mins doesn't make him a top 4 defenceman.. ppl dont' even think he's good enough to be the 6/7th defenceman.. on a healthy lineup we have hughes hronek zadorov soucy cole in any order. i don't think you are ranking him ahead of 2 out of those 5.

7 hours ago, EdgarM said:

A couple of things, you are underestimating the "Dumbness" of NHL GM's and its not that we don't want him, I am thinking he is not wanting us or he is asking for an unreasonable amount of salary. 

I can't blame management who is being responsible in handing out contracts so that  they are not a detriment to the rest of the team.

We seen Bo's true colors and its only a matter of time when we see what Petey's true intentions are too.

i mean what is unreasonable amount?? everyone in the NHL and every fan base outside of vancouver thinks he's coming in around 12+ while majority of the fan wants him at 10 or less because every player needs to take a discount to play for vancouver if they want to win a cup and keep using the no player over 10mil won a cup arguement when there are literally only 9 players in the league making OVER 10mil prior to this season and 3 of them plays on the leaf.. in a few year time if the cap continues to go up where we see more and more 10mil + star players they are going to say well no one over 11mil ever won the cup then 12mil then 13mil etc and just keep moving the goal post when in reality there are plenty of players at 12%+ of the cap won the cup which is the equivalent of a 10mil+ player. reality no player in the NHL takes massive discount when it comes to their contract.. you might see a 500k here and there.. those that they think took massive discount is just they took a gamble on whether they can continue to get better or worse.. and lost..

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

just because he's playing top 4 mins doesn't make him a top 4 defenceman.. ppl dont' even think he's good enough to be the 6/7th defenceman.. on a healthy lineup we have hughes hronek zadorov soucy cole in any order. i don't think you are ranking him ahead of 2 out of those 5.

The order is and has been....

Hughes

Hronek 

Cole

Myers

Zadorov 

Soucy

Saw someone post this wild and crazy trade suggestion from a THN article, basically saying he thinks Petey would prefer to play in the east:

To Columbus:

Elias Pettersson, Nils Hoglander, Jonathan Lekkerimaki, and a 1st round pick.

To Vancouver:

Boone Jenner, Kent Johnson, Adam Fantilli, and David Jiricek

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

Saw someone post this wild and crazy trade suggestion from a THN article, basically saying he thinks Petey would prefer to play in the east:

To Columbus:

To Vancouver:

What The Wtf GIF by Justin

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

To Columbus:

To Vancouver:

Ridiculous trade proposal but yes.  I genuinely believe petey wants to play for a team where he doesn't have to answer questions.