[Report/Rumour] Elias Pettersson Contract Talks

Rubik

9 hours ago, IBatch said:

Your handle is N4ZZY.    13.6% is what Naslund signed for after breaking out.   Was that too greedy?    Same thing back then.   

Nbc Noice GIF by Law & Order

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

10 hours ago, Nucker67 said:

Saw someone post this wild and crazy trade suggestion from a THN article, basically saying he thinks Petey would prefer to play in the east:

To Columbus:

Elias Pettersson, Nils Hoglander, Jonathan Lekkerimaki, and a 1st round pick.

To Vancouver:

Boone Jenner, Kent Johnson, Adam Fantilli, and David Jiricek

That's completely pure speculation. I'd be curious to know why the person thinks Petey prefers playing in the east?

16 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

That's completely pure speculation. I'd be curious to know why the person thinks Petey prefers playing in the east?

Why would we attach great player and A prospect plus pick to trade Petterson????Ha ha.That was one of the kind crap there.

8 hours ago, CanuckMan said:

Honestly I can see why Hughes was chosen as the captain over Petey. Hughes had this organization by the balz being the only top 4 NHL worthy RD on the roster and he chose to take a team friendly deal. On the other hand, Petey is holding out right now and causing this team damage because the management wants to sign him before they sign any of the other UFA/RFA’s we have. Which other than Petey we have 7 other key players of this roster to sign. Sign the damn papers if you’re such a team player and get it over with or let management know your true intentions.

Where does this argument about Hughes taking a friendly deal comes from?

Hughes took a 6 year contract meaning he’s UFA after and can do what he wants. So if he leaves for the Devils it was definately not team friendly. Benning should have offered a bridge or 8 years if so. 
It was good pay for talent. Not team friendly.

But is it someone in media saying this?

Millers is team friendly and probably because the Canucks gave him a chance to play with the best players.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

everyone relax

he thinks he can win the cup in van this year, and win connect Smyth, if he does that he will ask to be highest paid player in the league and he will get it from someone, prob Van, but if we win cup I would trade EP, in anywise, the talk now is about 12-12.5, 6 weeks ago it was 10-11 and now that seems totally too low hahahahah, if he wins cup he could get 14 so that's why he is not rushing, he truly believes in himself, which is good.

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, canucks curse said:

everyone relax

he thinks he can win the cup in van this year, and win connect Smyth, if he does that he will ask to be highest paid player in the league and he will get it from someone, prob Van, but if we win cup I would trade EP, in anywise, the talk now is about 12-12.5, 6 weeks ago it was 10-11 and now that seems totally too low hahahahah, if he wins cup he could get 14 so that's why he is not rushing, he truly believes in himself, which is good.

6 weeks ago it was 12 also… It has been 11,5-12,5 after last season.

What posters drop here isn’t what Petey and Allvin discuss.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Coryberg said:

Yeah. We have a horrible team. That's why we are so low in the standings.

Ya keep adding words to twist the narrative to fit yourself. Our right side is weak because have Myers as a top 4 = I said we have a horrible team ya ok don’t bother replying 

15 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

So I did some digging around.  In 2005-2006, Naslund's salary was $6 million.  That was the first year of the salary cap.  The cap according to CapFriendly in 2005-2006 was $39 million.  That means Naslund took up 15.38% of the cap.  That is unheard of.  Todd Bertuzzi was at $5,269,080.  So he took up 13.5% of the cap.  So Naslund and Bertuzzi combined took up almost 29% of the cap that year.  Brendan Morrison was at $3,200,000.  So the Westcoast Express took up 37% of the cap.  That is worse than the Leafs today.  That's the equivalent of Petey, Miller and Boeser earning a combined $32.5 million next season...

I don't think we can be using the first year of the Salary Cap Era to determine how teams should be allocating their cap. No one knew what would make sense yet and values were all over the place . Obviously, by today's standards, Naslund and Bertuzzi took up too large of a cap percentage. However, in terms of where they ranked among plays, Naslund was the 17th highest paid player in the league and Bertuzzi was 21st. In today's dollars/rankings that would place them at Johnny Gaudreau's $9.75M and Adam Fox's $9.5M respectively.

(Also fun tidbit, in 2005-06 Jagr's cap hit was $8.36M which was technically over the 20% limit)

Edited by Diamonds
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, Alflives said:

Petey is a coming RFA. Plus he will extend here. Benning/Brod are gone. Elite management and coaching now. 

So what's the hold up?  I've watched hockey closely for 35 years and don't really recall this.  What's with the..I'm only staying if the teams good nonsense.  The team is great now...the coaching staff could be the best ever assembled....the deadline is coming and we need to know what he wants to do.  Right now his answer is no.  Alvin said himself that they already to talk and I don't think money will be the issue.  Peteys answer is no thank you I'll wait and see.  If you proposed to a girl and she gave you that answer....would you be optimistic?

• Cheers 2

18 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Isn't Petey in the lineup playing the games, or is that D-Petey in disguise?  🤔

For now.  The no thabk you I'll wait and see aproach just has me worried.  Not so much that if he'll stay or go more we need to be able to run the team based on either outcome.

43 minutes ago, ronning4center said:

So what's the hold up?  I've watched hockey closely for 35 years and don't really recall this.  What's with the..I'm only staying if the teams good nonsense.  The team is great now...the coaching staff could be the best ever assembled....the deadline is coming and we need to know what he wants to do.  Right now his answer is no.  Alvin said himself that they already to talk and I don't think money will be the issue.  Peteys answer is no thank you I'll wait and see.  If you proposed to a girl and she gave you that answer....would you be optimistic?

I actually think this group is being to nicey, nicey with him, i would tell him lets hash this out or we are going to move on from you. Give him an ultimatum that he needs to give an answer by time the playoffs start or they look to move him out and no playoffs for him. Two can play that game me thinks. 

Yes the Lotto line is playing well but Miller and Boeser were playing pretty good before he joined them. Hughes and Miller are our heart and soul guys and they will lead us into the playoffs with or without him.

4 hours ago, Diamonds said:

I don't think we can be using the first year of the Salary Cap Era to determine how teams should be allocating their cap. No one knew what would make sense yet and values were all over the place . Obviously, by today's standards, Naslund and Bertuzzi took up too large of a cap percentage. However, in terms of where they ranked among plays, Naslund was the 17th highest paid player in the league and Bertuzzi was 21st. In today's dollars/rankings that would place them at Johnny Gaudreau's $9.75M and Adam Fox's $9.5M respectively.

(Also fun tidbit, in 2005-06 Jagr's cap hit was $8.36M which was technically over the 20% limit)

Thing is, Naslund signed that 3 year deal, after the labour dispute was over.   Sure it was still muddy, and players were still getting monster deals they likely wouldn't get five years later.   Although both Naslund (8 x 1) and Sundin (10 x 2... ended up prorated 10 x 1) were offered close to the max as UFAs just before they retired (one more big pay day!).  

Deals in place, we're all reduced by 20%.   Naslunds, wasn't. 

Edited by IBatch

1 hour ago, ronning4center said:

Naslund also did this.    Then he picked NYR as his Swan Song.   EPs not at all the first guy to do this.   Jovo.   When QHs gets to free agency year, don't  be shocked to see him also do this.   I'm sure there are others on our team as well.   Just going by cap era. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, ronning4center said:

The deadline in July 1, 2025. 

6 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Naslund also did this.    Then he picked NYR as his Swan Song.   EPs not at all the first guy to do this.   Jovo.   When QHs gets to free agency year, don't  be shocked to see him also do this.   I'm sure there are others on our team as well.   Just going by cap era. 

Didn’t the Twins get to UFA status too, or close? 

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Didn’t the Twins get to UFA status too, or close? 

Gillis and Gilman flew to Sweden to make their last ditch offer, but yes

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/canucks-commit-61m-to-sedins-1.849221

https://thehockeynews.com/news/sedin-twins-avoid-free-agency-agree-to-five-year-contracts-with-vancouver

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

11 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Pretty sure Burke flew there, too--then as GM of the Leafs--to see about signing them as RFAs

• Huggy Bear 1

21 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Joshua's hands in close are top 6 caliber, not sure if his other offensive attributes are (namely passing/vision and shot).  Is that alone good enough to be solid top 6 player?  I don't know.  I'd say it's a bit of a bet to bank on him being that.  If an injury in the top 6 comes up, it would be interesting to give him a shot.

First things first. Dont mess with the lines, but Move Joshua into Kuzmenkos spot on PP1. He is a big body in front of the net with good hands in tight. This was tried a few years ago, but it's worth trying again now that he has some confidence.

Need to get that PP going.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JayDangles said:

First things first. Dont mess with the lines, but Move Joshua into Kuzmenkos spot on PP1. He is a big body in front of the net with good hands in tight. This was tried a few years ago, but it's worth trying again now that he has some confidence.

Need to get that PP going.

Great idea!

13 hours ago, LillStrimma said:

Where does this argument about Hughes taking a friendly deal comes from?

Hughes took a 6 year contract meaning he’s UFA after and can do what he wants. So if he leaves for the Devils it was definately not team friendly. Benning should have offered a bridge or 8 years if so. 
It was good pay for talent. Not team friendly.

But is it someone in media saying this?

Millers is team friendly and probably because the Canucks gave him a chance to play with the best players.

I can imagine Petey taking a deal that coincides with when Hughes' deal is also up. If those two guys leave together, we're fucked. 

For better or worse, Petey is very stubborn. 

He said at the beginning of the year that he was going to wait until the end of the season. He's not going to change his mind, even though I think that he's a bit shortsighted and his stubbornness hurts him sometimes. I believe he wants to stay in Vancouver and that he wants to be part of a winning team. His stubbornness makes the latter harder because it forces management into a bit of a holding pattern. 

The fan anxiety is so clearly media-driven. 

• Thanks 1