JG

crouse 

EK

Elias Lindholm

Giroux 

Tom Wilson 

Mittelstadt

Henrique would be in there for sure.

Think pending UFA centers will be the main target.

• ThereItIs 1

23 hours ago, Canuck You said:

I guarantee Pette will re-sign, People panic for no reason. I look at the glass half full and would like to see how he performs in the p/o, Can he prove his worth? or be a no show?

If it's the latter I wouldn't be mad if someone gives him an offer sheet..I would happily take those 4 1sts. 

I guess only time will tell,,  he wont need to sign an offer sheet from another team because if he wants out all the nucks have to do is match..  he may sign an extension this summer but if he doesnt he signs his qualifying offer, one year, and then he is free to sign anywhere with no compensation after the year is up.  He basically holds all the cards for what he wants to do.   If he wont sign an extension, he will be traded at the deadline next year

15 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Henrique would be in there for sure.

Think pending UFA centers will be the main target.

I'm really growing on the idea of targeting Henrique. Him and Mikael Granlund should both be on the cheaper side compared to other options. Henrique would likely be a pure rental, but he's always been strong defensively, good on faceoffs, and while not a thug doesn't shy away from physicality.

Granlund last trade deadline went for just a 2nd, can play C or W, and is more physical than one would expect for his size, plus is on a ~60 point pace while playing for a bad Sharks team.

Both Henrique and Granlund can slot in at 2C or slide to the wing if we break up the lotto line. I think acquisition cost should be similar with Henrique being the better defensive option and Granlund being the better offensive option. Kuzmenko likely needs to go the other way to make salary work which is where things get more complicated. Kuzmenko + next year's 2nd or this year's 3rd is probably the rough acquisition cost. But is trading Kuzmenko for a pure rental in Henrique worth it?

On 1/19/2024 at 1:24 PM, IBatch said:

Naslund also did this.    Then he picked NYR as his Swan Song.   EPs not at all the first guy to do this.   Jovo.   When QHs gets to free agency year, don't  be shocked to see him also do this.   I'm sure there are others on our team as well.   Just going by cap era. 

I don't remember the particulars but it seemed to me at the time that the Canucks wanted to move on from Naslund and turn the page on the Naslund / Cloutier era altogether and that's why he went to the Rangers. 

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

I don't remember the particulars but it seemed to be at the time that the Canucks wanted to move on from Naslund and turn the page on the Naslund / Cloutier era altogether amd that's why he went to the Rangers. 

I remember the same. My memory is that Gillis didn't table an offer so Naslund was forced to free agency and then liked what he saw from the Rangers. As you said it was that Gillis wanted to turn the team over. That offseason also saw Linden retire and Gillis also didn't try to re-sign BMo. All players wearing letters in 2007-08 were no longer with the team in 2008-09.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

45 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

I remember the same. My memory is that Gillis didn't table an offer so Naslund was forced to free agency and then liked what he saw from the Rangers. As you said it was that Gillis wanted to turn the team over. That offseason also saw Linden retire and Gillis also didn't try to re-sign BMo. All players wearing letters in 2007-08 were no longer with the team in 2008-09.

Yeah I liked all those guys but other than Linden from the days well before Naslund that leadership group had a legacy of mostly regular season success and playoff failure.  Even at the end it was Linden turning it up in the playoffs over all of the younger guys.  The West Coast Express and friends were fun to watch but they just didn't have that Rocky rising to the occasion against Apollo gene that the 1982 and 1994 teams had.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Upvote 1

23 hours ago, canucks curse said:

Yesssss

my guess 

JG

crouse 

EK

Elias Lindholm

Giroux 

Tom Wilson 

Mittelstadt

Not sure why AZ would move crouse, was move Wilson, minny move EK or buffalo move Middlesteadt.

7 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

I don't remember the particulars but it seemed to me at the time that the Canucks wanted to move on from Naslund and turn the page on the Naslund / Cloutier era altogether and that's why he went to the Rangers. 

This is true. We didn’t want to re-sign a 35 year old Naslund. Morrison left too that year. It was 2008 and the Sedins and Luongo were now the leaders and stars of the team. 

• Vintage 1

6 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Yeah I liked all those guys but other than Linden from the days well before Naslund that leadership group had a legacy of mostly regular season success and playoff failure.  Even at the end it was Linden turning it up in the playoffs over all of the younger guys.  The West Coast Express and friends were fun to watch but they just didn't have that Rocky rising to the occasion against Apollo gene that the 1982 and 1994 teams had.

Burke’s biggest failure was getting us a goalie. If we had Luongo during that time certainly we beat Minnesota and win the cup in 2003. 

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

This is true. We didn’t want to re-sign a 35 year old Naslund. Morrison left too that year. It was 2008 and the Sedins and Luongo were now the leaders and stars of the team. 

Yeah I liked Markus Naslund quite a bit but he wasn't a guy like Linden / Smyl where there is a clear benefit to having him around even if his offense were to dry up entirely.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

Burke’s biggest failure was getting us a goalie. If we had Luongo during that time certainly we beat Minnesota and win the cup in 2003. 

Yeah Cloutier is another guy I like personally but holy moley he would melt down in the playoffs like clockwork.  It was just a foregone conclusion before the playoffs started and the games were little more than a formality.

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Yeah Cloutier is another guy I like personally but holy moley he would melt down in the playoffs like clockwork.  It was just a foregone conclusion before the playoffs started and the games were little more than a formality.

I still have PTSD over the Lidstrom goal from centre ice. I knew as soon as that shot went in that we were toast and we were going to lose the series. We were up 2-0 at the time. I just knew we were going to lose. We lost 4 straight games after that goal. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

9 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I still have PTSD over the Lidstrom goal from centre ice. I knew as soon as that shot went in that we were toast and we were going to lose the series. We were up 2-0 at the time. I just knew we were going to lose. We lost 4 straight games after that goal. 

Oof me too brother, clouts was a good regular season goalie for us too, this goal really did change the series 🙃

• Cheers 1

On 1/21/2024 at 12:02 AM, HKSR said:

I think if he's only willing to take a 1 year deal, we trade him.  

You really don’t like Petey…

If you would be Allvin you would love to have Petey for 9 mill to get a chance at the cup again and then give Petey even 14 mill afterwards if we won the cup.

25 minutes ago, LillStrimma said:

If you would be Allvin you would love to have Petey for 9 mill to get a chance at the cup again and then give Petey even 14 mill afterwards if we won the cup.

If we win the cup this year I think it changes the negotiations for everyone. Petey will want more money. However, we will have won a cup so most fans will be happy and can die in peace. So signing Petey long term is not as much of a priority anymore. 

If he wants $14 million after we’ve won a cup certainly Allvin will be trading him. With the saved money we could sign 2-3 UFA’s to go for the cup again which means we could trade Petey for young prospects and picks. 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

If we win the cup this year I think it changes the negotiations for everyone. Petey will want more money. However, we will have won a cup so most fans will be happy and can die in peace. So signing Petey long term is not as much of a priority anymore. 

If he wants $14 million after we’ve won a cup certainly Allvin will be trading him. With the saved money we could sign 2-3 UFA’s to go for the cup again which means we could trade Petey for young prospects and picks. 

So what do you say after two cups? 

1 minute ago, LillStrimma said:

So what do you say after two cups? 

If we win two cups in a row then we should probably sell high on all of our assets. I don’t want to end up like Tampa where they have to let Stamkos walk for free. Or Boston where they traded their entire future and didn’t win the cup at all. 

1 hour ago, LillStrimma said:

$9M?  How are we getting Petey for $9M when he can take the Canucks to arbitration?

18 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

If we win two cups in a row then we should probably sell high on all of our assets. I don’t want to end up like Tampa where they have to let Stamkos walk for free. Or Boston where they traded their entire future and didn’t win the cup at all. 

So you don’t want to sign the Alien for 8 years then? 
Cementing the new core in Petey, Silovs, Lekkerimäki, Willander with Miller as the tough vet and hopefully Demko as Silovs compadre.

If Hughes choose to stay we have a shot at the cup til Petey and Hughes is around 35.

But if Hughes leave we can hope Willander can take over.

But the most important piece is Petey.

This is the player that is instrumental going forward.

We can always go for the tougher, cheaper D but we can’t find that kind of alien offensive quality through drafting that Petey is.

We have to deliberately tank for a few years just to have a chance of such player and then I mean tank. Literally be the worst team a few years in a row.

Who wants that when we can be a powerhouse for ten years…

Luck seldom strikes twice.

2 minutes ago, LillStrimma said:

I went for the sum someone talked about, 8,7.

I haven’t checked myself though. 

I think the person was going off his qualifying offer of $8.8M.  Problem is Petey is arbitration eligible, and if he goes to arbitration, it'll be $10M to $11M easily.