[Report/Rumour] Elias Pettersson Contract Talks

Rubik

20 minutes ago, MattJVD said:

I think he just wants to be able to use award nominations and play-off performance in negotiations this summer. He believes in himself and thinks he'll produce in the playoffs (as he did in the bubble) so he wants that on his resume before he signs a deal.

Yeah, I think he's totally betting on himself.  He's not arrogant, entitled, or downright cocky like Laine, but he's definitely a confident young man with a lot of pride in his ability.  Who can blame him?  This is what he accomplished in the SHL... what's stopping him from feeling that he can do the same in the NHL?

• Most regular season points by a U20 player in SHL history
  • Led SHL in regular season scoring
  • Most playoff points by a U20 player in SHL history (single season)
  • Led SHL in playoff scoring
  • Stefan Liv Memorial Trophy Winner (Playoff MVP)
  • SHL Top Forward
  • SHL Rookie of the Year
  • SHL MVP
  • SHL Champion
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, N4ZZY said:

I think he ends up being paid like the best player on the team. Fans can argue that Miller is better, but Petey is 6 years younger, and producing almost at about the same points as JT this season. It's obvious that if he's getting paid as a top player on the team, it's looking towards the future. With that being said, I don't know if I expect Petey to commit to the team. Might be scarred by Benning's idiocy, and has a distrust with Canucks management and ownership moving forward? 

There's no other reason why he wouldn't sign now. 

Team's winning. He's producing (I guess that depends on whether he's in one of his droughts). 

He's either greedy, or he doesn't want to remain a Canuck...

Is it that simple? 

Maybe because Horvat is gone, the narrative that we still need to fill that void versus Miller keeps going.   Kind of tired of it.   But it does matter.   If EPs going to be by far, the highest paid player, then it's got to work.    So far, I'm not convinced he's much better than either Panarin or Zinbenjad, who've i've followed since was drafted.    Overall.    We don't have to pay a ridiculous fee for star power.     He's far from perfect, but is also one of the better guys we've ever had.    

We will know most likely,  this off-season.   Can't blame him for letting things go until then.  I'm sure he re-signs, and if he doesn't, it won't be as upsetting as when Bure went to Florida.   And sure we will get something pretty good back just like then too.   And also sure, eventually the fanbase will forgive him, but he won't get a ceremony either. 

Edited by IBatch

7 hours ago, HKSR said:

Yeah, I think he's totally betting on himself.  He's not arrogant, entitled, or downright cocky like Laine, but he's definitely a confident young man with a lot of pride in his ability.  Who can blame him?  This is what he accomplished in the SHL... what's stopping him from feeling that he can do the same in the NHL?

• Most regular season points by a U20 player in SHL history
  • Led SHL in regular season scoring
  • Most playoff points by a U20 player in SHL history (single season)
  • Led SHL in playoff scoring
  • Stefan Liv Memorial Trophy Winner (Playoff MVP)
  • SHL Top Forward
  • SHL Rookie of the Year
  • SHL MVP
  • SHL Champion

I honestly think Canucks management wants to sign EP…but only to a certain cap hit and I bet it’s s under Nylander’s 11.5m too! I bet under 11m because they value JT highly and the gap isn’t 4-5m player wise. Age is just a number….some people get active in their 30s or 40s and that’s when they are in the best shape of their lives or even older cause it’s NEVER too late to get active!

in OT that was NOT a legit penalty! If you’ve played hockey you’ve been hit harder playing atom hockey for fuck sakes! 

If you disagree you either:

1. Haven’t played hockey, only watched on tv.

2. are just a know it all to begin with.

3. you have a man bun 

4. Think living or owning a vw van is cool…or realistic, it’s NOT!!! It’s a breadbox sewing machine on 4 wheels…5. I got hit worse playing atom or pee wee hockey.
6. EP shouldn’t have fallen down so easily, it’s that simple! He also shouldn’t have starred down the ref….when he could have gotten back in the play and prevented the pass to get through!

7. Is that the kind of pre Madonna we want to hand a blank cheque too?

8. EP comes across as hating the media, so if true this guy is gonna be gone. There really is no reason why he can’t say ya we are playing awesome I’m having the most fun in my career while performing very well. I’d love to sign long term and STAY in Vancouver but I leave that to my agents and GM Alvin. My focus is playing my best every night. and seeing how far we can go as a team this year.

end of passionate rant

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, IBatch said:

Maybe because Horvat is gone, the narrative that we still need to fill that void versus Miller keeps going.   Kind of tired of it.   But it does matter.   If EPs going to be by far, the highest paid player, then it's got to work.    So far, I'm not convinced he's much better than either Panarin or Zinbenjad, who've i've followed since was drafted.    Overall.    We don't have to pay a ridiculous fee for star power.     He's far from perfect, but is also one of the better guys we've ever had.    

We will know most likely,  this off-season.   Can't blame him for letting things go until then.  I'm sure he re-signs, and if he doesn't, it won't be as upsetting as when Bure went to Florida.   And sure we will get something pretty good back just like then too.   And also sure, eventually the fanbase will forgive him, but he won't get a ceremony either. 

the Zibanejad who’s a career .8 ppg player? I don’t think he fits into the same category as the other two. 

Panarin is definitely closer, but he’s a winger who’s had injury problems. 1.13 ppg vs Petey’s 1.03. They are probably not to far off from each other and Panarin signed for 11.64 in 2019. That’s 14.6% of the cap. Petey does that this off season and it’s roughly 12.8 mil. 

• Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, Dizzle said:

the Zibanejad who’s a career .8 ppg player? I don’t think he fits into the same category as the other two. 

Panarin is definitely closer, but he’s a winger who’s had injury problems. 1.13 ppg vs Petey’s 1.03. They are probably not to far off from each other and Panarin signed for 11.64 in 2019. That’s 14.6% of the cap. Petey does that this off season and it’s roughly 12.8 mil. 

Panarin has been pretty durable as he has only missed 28 games in his 8+ NHL seasons.

• Cheers 1

I just don't see EP getting Panarin money.

11.6 mill EP is close but over 82 games that's not close.So that was 2019, now EP less then that so 11 max or trade him.

We could get some good players,have more coming in and add ufa's might put us over the top to be contenders for years.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, boziffous said:

Panarin has been pretty durable as he has only missed 28 games in his 8+ NHL seasons.

My apologies, read the games played wrong. 

24 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

I just don't see EP getting Panarin money.

11.6 mill EP is close but over 82 games that's not close.So that was 2019, now EP less then that so 11 max or trade him.

We could get some good players,have more coming in and add ufa's might put us over the top to be contenders for years.

How is he not going to get Panarin money? When Panarin signed that deal for 14.6% of the cap he had a whopping 4 NHL seasons behind him with a .99 ppg average. He was 28 years old and a winger. Petey has 6 seasons at 1.03 ppg, is 25 years old and is a centre. In what world does he not get the same percentage of the cap as Panarin if he wants it? 

I should say... the term will have a slight impact on this, but his long term number is going to be somewhere around 14% of the cap unless he takes a sweetheart deal. If he signs for term He's put himself well within the 12.2/year (or above) conversation. 

2 minutes ago, Dizzle said:

How is he not going to get Panarin money? When Panarin signed that deal for 14.6% of the cap he had a whopping 4 NHL seasons behind him with a .99 ppg average. He was 28 years old and a winger. Petey has 6 seasons at 1.03 ppg, is 25 years old and is a centre. In what world does he not get the same percentage of the cap as Panarin if he wants it? 

I should say... the term will have a slight impact on this, but his long term number is going to be somewhere around 14% of the cap unless he takes a sweetheart deal. If he signs for term He's put himself well within the 12.2/year (or above) conversation. 

Didn't Panarin hit UFA status?  That would have bumped his pay up considerably considering UFA season is silly season for contracts handed out (Exhibit A: Tyler Myers)

1 hour ago, Viking said:

I honestly think Canucks management wants to sign EP…but only to a certain cap hit and I bet it’s s under Nylander’s 11.5m too! I bet under 11m because they value JT highly and the gap isn’t 4-5m player wise. Age is just a number….some people get active in their 30s or 40s and that’s when they are in the best shape of their lives or even older cause it’s NEVER too late to get active!

in OT that was NOT a legit penalty! If you’ve played hockey you’ve been hit harder playing atom hockey for fuck sakes! 

3. you have a man bun 

4. Think living or owning a vw van is cool…or realistic, it’s NOT!!! It’s a breadbox sewing machine on 4 wheels…5. I got hit worse playing atom or pee wee hockey.
6. EP shouldn’t have fallen down so easily, it’s that simple! He also shouldn’t have starred down the ref….when he could have gotten back in the play and prevented the pass to get through!

8. EP comes across as hating the media, so if true this guy is gonna be gone. There really is no reason why he can’t say ya we are playing awesome I’m having the most fun in my career while performing very well. I’d love to sign long term and STAY in Vancouver but I leave that to my agents and GM Alvin. My focus is playing my best every night. and seeing how far we can go as a team this year.

end of passionate rant

yikes. "passionate" doesn't make the top 5 list of adjectives I'd use to describe this. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

Didn't Panarin hit UFA status?  That would have bumped his pay up considerably considering UFA season is silly season for contracts handed out (Exhibit A: Tyler Myers)

Good point. But even if you knock petey down from 14.6% to 14% he’d still be at 12.2. Heck, even if you knocked him down a full percent he’d be at 11.8. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Viking said:

3. you have a man bun 

end of passionate rant

lol, pretty funny post. Age is just a number? Anyone can get active in their 30s and 40's. 🤣 It's never to late to get active. 😂 That's pure gold. 😅 You make it sound like those old participation commercials with Hal and Joanna. Hey any hockey player can play like they're 25 if they just try and go for a couple jogs every week. Don't just think about it ... do it, do it, do it.🤭 As if the players age isn't factored in to the contract. 

Also VW vans are cool dude. Haha

200.gif

Why would EP be gone if he doesn't like the media? Who cares ... he's more so just quiet and introvertive. You were right about the play not being a penalty but it's not the end of the world. He had a not so good game and a poor shift in OT. It happens to just about all players but he's shown great resolve in the past to up his game, learn from mistakes, and continually get better. It in no way makes him a primadonna (not pre-Madonna) 😆🙊 Haha that one is better than the first part. Thanks, that was a good chuckle. :classic_laugh: :towel:

3 hours ago, Dizzle said:

Those are last year and this numbers.Panarin in all his seasons had a better point per game and that will come into play.

Miller has more points, yes older but that will come into play.

Panarin is a game breaker player, EP hasn't shown that enough.

So yes his deal will be good but not 12 plus or that is an over payment.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cripplereh said:

Those are last year and this numbers.Panarin in all his seasons had a better point per game and that will come into play.

Miller has more points, yes older but that will come into play.

Panarin is a game breaker player, EP hasn't shown that enough.

So yes his deal will be good but not 12 plus or that is an over payment.

Look at what Panarin had done when he signed the contract. Petey has done more than Panarin did when he signed for 14.6% of the cap. 

The fact that Petey looks like he has more to give and his numbers are superior to Panarin’s when he signed his deal and he’s a centre should tell you something. 

As @HKSR pointed out, the fact that Panarin was a UFA makes a difference but Petey is the superior player if we’re comparing them at the time of signing the comparative deals. 

On 1/26/2024 at 4:28 AM, IBatch said:

Not to break up a good dialogue, both making good points, CHI's window closed shut the moment the ink dried on Toews and Kanes massive deals, Seabrooks and the UFA paydays coming in.    If we have to pay QHs and EP 14 x 8, we are also likely done for.    The only reason we'd have a window is also because of them too, but we could easily bung up our cap.   EPs too old to be paying for potential now, what you see, is more or less what you get.    We could hope for a couple boffo seasons, but they might not come.    If he's having a hard time playing with the likes of Miller, Brock, Kuzmenko and Mikheyev, what do you think is going to happen by almost doubling his salary, and where is that money coming off the roster?    EPs might not even be  a top ten forward in the league at the moment let alone a top ten all-time.      

He's done enough to warrant a double digit pay-day.    Would be fine with 12 x 8 even.    That's maxed out though and we'd need him to score 100 or more points every year to compete. 

I think you bring up some great points. I am glad JR/PA are steering this ship and have a good idea what kind of players we need and more importantly, how much they should be paid.

If we have to pay too much, we are better off without them. 

Also, Petey still is not strong on his feet and is not very good at faceoffs, I would have thought he would have grown alot stronger by now. 

I keep thinking if Miller was not here, would Petey be able to lead this team as our #1 Center? 

I think he is a great player but I am seeing  a lot of red flags and we should be really careful moving forward with him. 

I think I would be OK with a short term contract and give him a raise after that if the Cap goes up and he improves as many expect. 

If he pulls the same , "I want to concentrate on playing hockey instead of discussing a new contract" ? Then move on from him.

I really think this group deserves to know who wants to stay here and Petey's delay in contract talks is delaying that.

We have some UFA's I would really like to keep and it would be nice to resign them sooner rather then later, but apparently we need to wait until Petey feels like dealing with his contract renewal.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, EdgarM said:

I think you bring up some great points. I am glad JR/PA are steering this ship and have a good idea what kind of players we need and more importantly, how much they should be paid.

If we have to pay too much, we are better off without them. 

Also, Petey still is not strong on his feet and is not very good at faceoffs, I would have thought he would have grown alot stronger by now. 

I keep thinking if Miller was not here, would Petey be able to lead this team as our #1 Center? 

I think he is a great player but I am seeing  a lot of red flags and we should be really careful moving forward with him. 

I think I would be OK with a short term contract and give him a raise after that if the Cap goes up and he improves as many expect. 

If he pulls the same , "I want to concentrate on playing hockey instead of discussing a new contract" ? Then move on from him.

I really think this group deserves to know who wants to stay here and Petey's delay in contract talks is delaying that.

We have some UFA's I would really like to keep and it would be nice to resign them sooner rather then later, but apparently we need to wait until Petey feels like dealing with his contract renewal.

It's was similar when QHs and EPs RFA deals were up.   And Brocks too.    JB started filling out the roster when Brocks deal was up, after his ELC, and there was a lot of worry because the math said "we only have 6" left.    Expect the same here.    Allvin is going to have a tough time bringing back the same supporting cast.     Some of those guys, might be priorities though.   If EP wants a free ride into free agency, it's going to be a bumpy one.    Best we just enjoy the hockey and not worry too much about it.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

It's was similar when QHs and EPs RFA deals were up.   And Brocks too.    JB started filling out the roster when Brocks deal was up, after his ELC, and there was a lot of worry because the math said "we only have 6" left.    Expect the same here.    Allvin is going to have a tough time bringing back the same supporting cast.     Some of those guys, might be priorities though.   If EP wants a free ride into free agency, it's going to be a bumpy one.    Best we just enjoy the hockey and not worry too much about it.   

....and this is what concerns me. Rarely do we see real chemistry from a line and we definitely have that with Joshua/Blueger/Garland. We also have an anomoly with Zadorov and I would hate to lose any of these pieces because we think we need to free up cap space for Petey.

With our top 6, although they are producing, I still don't see that chemistry other then with the Lotto line, and thats great, but we cannot have that much Cap space tied up on one line over a long period of time. We will look much more imbalanced ala Toronto.

I will try to do exactly that, this hockey brand is such a joy to watch and I will enjoy it for as long as it lasts.

• Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

34 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

....and this is what concerns me. Rarely do we see real chemistry from a line and we definitely have that with Joshua/Blueger/Garland. We also have an anomoly with Zadorov and I would hate to lose any of these pieces because we think we need to free up cap space for Petey.

With our top 6, although they are producing, I still don't see that chemistry other then with the Lotto line, and thats great, but we cannot have that much Cap space tied up on one line over a long period of time. We will look much more imbalanced ala Toronto.

I will try to do exactly that, this hockey brand is such a joy to watch and I will enjoy it for as long as it lasts.

Yes it would be awesome if we can make it work for two seasons anyways... it should be pretty close. 

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

So true IB.  Us fans have no idea of what is going on behind the scenes.  Some fans are even making up

issues and speculating on what the player is thinking.

It's unfortunate that Toronto gave Nylander an inflated contract.  That's what happens if

a GM waits too long to sign a player facing UFA.

• Cheers 3
  • ThereItIs 1

29 minutes ago, aGENT said:

The amount of people panicking about not signing Pettersson mid season... after he clearly stated he wouldn't sign mid season, is equally🤦‍♂️ as it is unsurprising unfortunately.

I think some of the media lock into the panic (whether it be around Pete or anything else regarding

the Canucks) and purposely stir it up.  Gives them a sure thing that will get lots of hits.  Seems like

every day, we are seeing a # of vague rumours and speculations and we're barely halfway through

the season.🥱

• Cheers 2

59 minutes ago, aGENT said:

The amount of people panicking about not signing Pettersson mid season... after he clearly stated he wouldn't sign mid season, is equally🤦‍♂️ as it is unsurprising unfortunately.

I don't think its a matter of panicking for me more then its that I am just getting less and less interested in this player. Kind of like how I felt with Bo, as I thought he had so much potential and it just slowly withered. I am not too fond of one dimensional players who rely heavily on their line mates or the rest of the team,especially if you are looking to be the highest paid player on the team.

I like those gamers who rise to the occasion when needed. Demko has that, as does Hughes as does Miller. 

I am probably leaning more to just getting rid of him really, as I see him as disraction like Bo. 

We could probably use the extra cap space to sign other key players on the team I definitely don't want to see go. 

We have great chamistry with this group and the only weakness I see is that second line. Maybe we need to look at replacing them.

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Lots - myself included - are thinking about his comment on waiting to see how the team will perform first before signing, and then us being 1st in the entire league, and him ostensibly still not being interested in signing yet, and seeing Allvin talk about how he wants to make moves but everything is contingent on Petey, and it's unfortunate that his contract is holding things up right now. But, having said this, I'm betting he'll sign around the AS break, as I have hope he's no dummy and sees this year's chance of winning it all as a great one, and Allvin will be saying as much. To summarize: Petey signs soon, Allvin cooks, we win our first cup. Lfg.

• Upvote 1

the number of people bashing and trashing EP here is beyond baffling regardless of his contract status. they are ripping and tearing him apart on here on twitter and everywhere regarding his contract status and how he shouldn't be paid this or that and he's not good etc etc is mind boggling.. especially when people don't even know what exactly he wants.. we are lucky players don't look at people's opinion in the forums.. otherwise most of them would be like fuk this fan base and gtfo.. comparing him to miller who's like 5 years older and only played with at least 1 or 2 of the top players on the team at all time on the ice while EP is frequently playing with 3rd and sometimes 4th liners and then say yup Miller is better but somehow EP is able to keep up in points and leads the team in EV production is a funny take