[Report/Rumour] Elias Pettersson Contract Talks

Rubik

3 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Lots - myself included - are thinking about his comment on waiting to see how the team will perform first before signing, and then us being 1st in the entire league, and him ostensibly still not being interested in signing yet,

He also said he wasn't signing in season. So why are we shocked and dismayed that he... isn't signing in season...?

and seeing Allvin talk about how he wants to make moves but everything is contingent on Petey, and it's unfortunate that his contract is holding things up right now.

Is it though? They'll have a pretty darn good idea of what it will take to sign him.  Not knowing the EXACT number isn't holding anything up. They can plug in a +/- amount and make moves based on that. If he doesn't want to extend in the summer (I'd be VERY shocked) you look at moving him, and likely don't have to worry much about cap space at all. If he extends, you already accounted for his +/- cap. Meh.

19 minutes ago, aGENT said:

He also said he wasn't signing in season. So why are we shocked and dismayed that he... isn't signing in season...?

Is it though? They'll have a pretty darn good idea of what it will take to sign him.  Not knowing the EXACT number isn't holding anything up. They can plug in a +/- amount and make moves based on that. If he doesn't want to extend in the summer (I'd be VERY shocked) you look at moving him, and likely don't have to worry much about cap space at all. If he extends, you already accounted for his +/- cap. Meh.

I think the hold up is if he chooses not to sign  we need to be able to reallocate.  Say he would get 12.5 on a new deal.  If he refuses to sign....next year his qualifying offer is just over 7 mill.  Which means we could take on a multi year deal with a high profile player and potential replacement.  So yes...his "I'll let you know" attitude is seriously affecting the team for this year's potential run and for years to come.

Edited by ronning4center

17 minutes ago, aGENT said:

For exactly why I said: turns out we're 1st in the league (so why does he need to see more?), and him not signing is now holding up Allvin from adding for this year's postseason. Every dollar matters when making moves, and not knowing if Petey will be around long term also hinders on who Allvin trades for.

Just now, Jester13 said:

For exactly why I said: turns out we're 1st in the league (so why does he need to see more?), and him not signing is now holding up Allvin from adding for this year's postseason. Every dollar matters when making moves, and not knowing if Petey will be around long term also hinders on who Allvin trades for.

Haha I just said this.  But yes.....

this  ^^^^

I'd be shocked if they don't have an indication of whether Petey wants to stay. I'd be equally shocked that he wouldn't want to stay.

35 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I'd be shocked if they don't have an indication of whether Petey wants to stay. I'd be equally shocked that he wouldn't want to stay.

He doesn't have a NTC so it doesn't matter what he wants. We are not going to give in to his demands , if they are unreasonable. He will be moved if the numbers don't make sense.

3 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

He doesn't have a NTC so it doesn't matter what he wants. We are not going to give in to his demands , if they are unreasonable. He will be moved if the numbers don't make sense.

Ok

I'm wondering if petey isn't signing an extension because this market is so toxic. I mean the media here is a circus and the fans eat it up. For a guy who is private as he is that has to be frustrating.

If you look at it from his point of view you could go to an American market and not be under a microscope 24/7. On top of that you will have less travel, less taxes and better weather. I really wouldn't blame him for making that call on a personal level.

I hope my assumptions are wrong but from the looks of it we are backing up the truck with money and we are the #1 team in the league. Those 2 things alone would sell 95% of players but as we know petey is a differ breed.

If he decides he doesn't want to be here for the aforementioned reasons I won't hate on him, I just hope we can get fair value back and move on. At the same time I'm not going to fret on it. Let's just enjoy the season for now.

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Coryberg said:

I'm wondering if petey isn't signing an extension because this market is so toxic. I mean the media here is a circus and the fans eat it up. For a guy who is private as he is that has to be frustrating.

If you look at it from his point of view you could go to an American market and not be under a microscope 24/7. On top of that you will have less travel, less taxes and better weather. I really wouldn't blame him for making that call on a personal level.

I hope my assumptions are wrong but from the looks of it we are backing up the truck with money and we are the #1 team in the league. Those 2 things alone would sell 95% of players but as we know petey is a differ breed.

If he decides he doesn't want to be here for the aforementioned reasons I won't hate on him, I just hope we can get fair value back and move on. At the same time I'm not going to fret on it. Let's just enjoy the season for now.

It would be a blockbuster deal, for sure. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Dizzle said:

Look at what Panarin had done when he signed the contract. Petey has done more than Panarin did when he signed for 14.6% of the cap. 

The fact that Petey looks like he has more to give and his numbers are superior to Panarin’s when he signed his deal and he’s a centre should tell you something. 

As @HKSR pointed out, the fact that Panarin was a UFA makes a difference but Petey is the superior player if we’re comparing them at the time of signing the comparative deals. 

So in the summer EP will be ahead of Panarin.Thar could be right if and only if EP plays an amazing playoff.If not then Panarin will have been the superior player.

Think that might bite EP in the butt.Ifbhe isn't more then a point a game player in the playoffs and doesn't get 110 points, then he is not worth equal to Panarin's last deal at all.

Say he does get a point a game in the playoffs and shines, then and only then is he worth more then 11 mill per.

I'd say 12 a year at best as was a one year playoff run.

EP will have many arguments against him going into his contract year and so many questions means less money on a longer term and that's business.

Panarin you knew exactly what you were getting, EP still lots of what ifs.

17 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

So in the summer EP will be ahead of Panarin.Thar could be right if and only if EP plays an amazing playoff.If not then Panarin will have been the superior player.

Think that might bite EP in the butt.Ifbhe isn't more then a point a game player in the playoffs and doesn't get 110 points, then he is not worth equal to Panarin's last deal at all.

Say he does get a point a game in the playoffs and shines, then and only then is he worth more then 11 mill per.

I'd say 12 a year at best as was a one year playoff run.

EP will have many arguments against him going into his contract year and so many questions means less money on a longer term and that's business.

Panarin you knew exactly what you were getting, EP still lots of what ifs.

Your math makes no sense.  Petey has a higher ppg average right now than Panarin did when he signed his deal. He’s a centre. He’s worth more than Panarin was at the time he signed his deal.

that being said, the fact that Panarin was a UFA is significant and probably roughly evens things out or slightly tilts the balance in Panarins favour. That still leaves Petey at roughly 12 a year on a long term deal. 

Just now, Dizzle said:

Your math makes no sense.  Petey has a higher ppg average right now than Panarin did when he signed his deal. He’s a centre. He’s worth more than Panarin was at the time he signed his deal.

that being said, the fact that Panarin was a UFA is significant and probably roughly evens things out or slightly tilts the balance in Panarins favour. That still leaves Petey at roughly 12 a year on a long term deal. 

Playoffs and more seasons together with more points.Math???

How many 85 plus points season did both have and how many playoff points???I don't count the COVID year but even if you do there's a big difference for points in a calendar year.

So EP isn't close.

Do the math as you say.

Just now, cripplereh said:

Playoffs and more seasons together with more points.Math???

How many 85 plus points season did both have and how many playoff points???I don't count the COVID year but even if you do there's a big difference for points in a calendar year.

So EP isn't close.

Do the math as you say.

Oh my goodness. How hard is it to understand that Petey’s ppg average when he signs this deal will be higher than Panarin’s when he signed his. 

Panarin had 82 and 87 point seasons directly before signing his deal. Petterson (unless he has a catastrophic melt down) will have a 102 and 90 to 100+ point season before signing his. 

Petey could crap the bed in the playoffs this year and he would still have a better resume going into the off season (albeit not dramatically) than Panarin. 

29 minutes ago, Dizzle said:

Oh my goodness. How hard is it to understand that Petey’s ppg average when he signs this deal will be higher than Panarin’s when he signed his. 

Panarin had 82 and 87 point seasons directly before signing his deal. Petterson (unless he has a catastrophic melt down) will have a 102 and 90 to 100+ point season before signing his. 

Petey could crap the bed in the playoffs this year and he would still have a better resume going into the off season (albeit not dramatically) than Panarin. 

Yup so far one year he has been better in points,might be two.But when it counts in the playoffs will be the full picture.

You may be right but for now time will tell.

How many slumps? EP has had more making Panarin the more complete player.

Let's re talk this at seasons end and hope you are right.Again one year might be two so we'll see.

22 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

Yup so far one year he has been better in points,might be two.But when it counts in the playoffs will be the full picture.

You may be right but for now time will tell.

How many slumps? EP has had more making Panarin the more complete player.

Let's re talk this at seasons end and hope you are right.Again one year might be two so we'll see.

Please, expand. 

2 minutes ago, lionized27 said:

Panarin being the "more complete player" based on what?

His play,less slumps,playoff player.....

Or have you not read my post?

Edited by cripplereh

Panarin signed in 2019 14% of the cap today is north for 12 million, the cap goes up so do contracts. Contracts in 2019 aren't valued the same in 2024 1 for 1, I think the issue isn't about the AAV I think it will be the term...peteys getting paid regardless and the Canucks seem willing to pay him...does petey only want 3 or 4 years or can management convince him to sign a 8 year deal well have to wait and see.

Edited by N7_Gyoza

11 hours ago, aGENT said:

So you think management already knows whether Petey wants to stay or not?