[Report/Rumour] Elias Pettersson Contract Talks

Interesting notes from newly-extended Canucks GM Patrik Allvin’s Wednesday press conference

“We’re creating this environment where players feel safe and that we’re going in the right direction,” he said. “In order to be good, you might have to sacrifice some of your own ego in order to have a good team around you. What I’ve seen from successful teams, that’s what their core players are doing. They don’t take the biggest piece of the pie; they understand there’s a puzzle, and I think we’re coming a long way in that regard. At the end of the day, there’s only so much money we can spend on each individual and not sacrifice the whole team.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/canucksarmy.com/news/amp/interesting-canucks-gm-patrik-allvin-wednesday-press-conference

Hopefully he is alluding to discussions with Pettersson and other FAs.

Edit: (sorry, they changed the link or something)

...found the real one.

Edited by Drive-By Body Pierce
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

Nah, I'd keep Pettersson. Lindholm trade or not, we are not the cup guarantee some folks want to believe/pretend we are. 

If the goal is to chase a cup Pettersson lengthens our window, Lindholm is also not Pettersson. 

Having Pettersson peaking should hopefully negate some of Miller's inevitable decline. Nobody was expecting Miller to fall off immediately, but most forwards don't age as gracefully as Crosby and Pavelski. 

If you can keep all three, great. Play the Elias's together and maybe one of them wins a Selke. 

Agreed with you.

The thought process behind my above idea is that this season is our best shot of winning a cup (so, having all three of Pettersson, Lindholm, and Andersson for this season), but also keeping the future in mind (ie signing Lindholm well under 10 million to keep our internal cap management intact + trading Petey to recoup all of the picks/prospects given up during this cup run).

I myself am not even sure that I’d proceed with this route but it’s something that crossed my mind.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Drive-By Body Pierce said:

Interesting notes from newly-extended Canucks GM Patrik Allvin’s Wednesday press conference

“We’re creating this environment where players feel safe and that we’re going in the right direction,” he said. “In order to be good, you might have to sacrifice some of your own ego in order to have a good team around you. What I’ve seen from successful teams, that’s what their core players are doing. They don’t take the biggest piece of the pie; they understand there’s a puzzle, and I think we’re coming a long way in that regard. At the end of the day, there’s only so much money we can spend on each individual and not sacrifice the whole team.”

https://canucksarmy.com/news/betway-bets-day-bet-brady-tkachuk-fill-shot-meter-detroit

Aww, the link got changed...wtf.

Edit: found the link, or a link...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/canucksarmy.com/news/amp/interesting-canucks-gm-patrik-allvin-wednesday-press-conference

Edited by Drive-By Body Pierce

On 2/1/2024 at 4:05 AM, BPA said:

Let’s say EP wants $12M and JR/PA aren’t budging from their best offer (say $11.5M).

Would you trade EP to CBJ for Fantilli, Johnson, and Jiricek?

CBJ gets their #1C to play with Gaudreau and Laine.

VAN gets 3 top players/prospects on cheap ELC contracts.

CBJ wouldn’t give us Fantilli. 

26 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

Awesome. Good job digging that up.

So it could go either way. Nylander signed for an average of $11.5m per year over 8 years. But the question wasnt "do you see similarities between his contract and yours" it was "do you see any similarities between his contract SITUATION and yours" Totally different question. Petey's response makes sense, his contract situation is different because he is RFA and Nylander would have been UFA.

He also said “… that will become very clear when I sign.”

which could mean he’s talking directly about his contract.

Regardless, ideal if he takes less

6 minutes ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

CBJ wouldn’t give us Fantilli. 

They might, but there's no way they give us all three of their top prospects.

But, the big thing that needs to always be kept in mind with trading Petey is that no team will trade for him unless they know/believe he'll re-sign with them. Will Petey really re-sign with CBJ? I highly doubt it. 

19 minutes ago, tas said:

what it likely means is short term instead of long term. 

I'm ok with that.  The immediate window is now and for a few years.  If Petey is part of that window, we'll see if they're good enough to win it all.  If not, we're retooling anyways.

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

I'm ok with that.  The immediate window is now and for a few years.  If Petey is part of that window, we'll see if they're good enough to win it all.  If not, we're retooling anyways.

I think the possibility of him tkachuking us by only being open to a one year deal is unfortunately very real.

I'm personally prepared for this to be petey's last year in van. I don't think it's necessarily the most likely result, but likely enough that we shouldn't be surprised at all. 

Edited by tas
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, tas said:

I think the possibility of him tkachuking us by only being open to a one year deal is unfortunately very real.

I'm personally prepared for this to be petey's last year in van. I don't think it's necessarily the most likely result, but likely enough that we shouldn't be surprised at all. 

With the accumulation of another top 6 center(lindholm), this pretty much convinces me he is gone. 

I seen it with Bo and I seen it with Petey in how he has handled this whole thing with his contract.

Personally I wouldn't even give him a shot at the playoffs with us this year and I don't see him going any farther then the trade dead line. 

Realistically, I see him fetching us at least a good top 6 winger and maybe more. If we can get a Tuch type player to play with Lindholm I would be ecstatic.

It would also give us the much needed cap space to resign key players we have recently accumulated like Hronek and Lindholm next year.

3 hours ago, Drive-By Body Pierce said:

Edit: (sorry, they changed the link or something)

...found the real one.

It could be a bit of a shot across the bow to the Petterson camp.

They just traded for a back up contingency plan in case he doesn’t sign a long term extension, and then basically say publicly to be successful we need our core players to not try to squeeze out the very top dollar they can.

I have heard a few retired NHLers on panels talk about how their contract number was driven in a big part by ego and comparing against the other guys.  These are mostly kids from small towns who have led pretty sheltered lives.  There has been more than one story about guys happily living on their per diems and not even knowing what to do with their paycheques.

When you are talking about $88-104 million range over a max term, there isn’t really any other way to think about it.  At $88 million you can get basically anything you ever wanted.  What extra does another $10-16 million do for your standard of living?

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, Provost said:

It could be a bit of a shot across the bow to the Petterson camp.

They just traded for a back up contingency plan in case he doesn’t sign a long term extension, and then basically say publicly to be successful we need our core players to not try to squeeze out the very top dollar they can.

I have heard a few retired NHLers on panels talk about how their contract number was driven in a big part by ego and comparing against the other guys.  These are mostly kids from small towns who have led pretty sheltered lives.  There has been more than one story about guys happily living on their per diems and not even knowing what to do with their paycheques.

When you are talking about $88-104 million range over a max term, there isn’t really any other way to think about it.  At $88 million you can get basically anything you ever wanted.  What extra does another $10-16 million do for your standard of living?

Not to mention what kind of side gigs he is going to be able to get in on as a Star of a Pro Sport. Commercials, sponsorships etc. etc. 

29 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

With the accumulation of another top 6 center(lindholm), this pretty much convinces me he is gone. 

I seen it with Bo and I seen it with Petey in how he has handled this whole thing with his contract.

Personally I wouldn't even give him a shot at the playoffs with us this year and I don't see him going any farther then the trade dead line. 

Realistically, I see him fetching us at least a good top 6 winger and maybe more. If we can get a Tuch type player to play with Lindholm I would be ecstatic.

It would also give us the much needed cap space to resign key players we have recently accumulated like Hronek and Lindholm next year.

there's no way they subtract him in-season, jr already said that's too big a trade to work out before the offseason. 

Edited by tas

59 minutes ago, tas said:

there's no way they subtract him in-season, jr already said that's too big a trade to work out before the offseason. 

I am pretty sure if a team meets his demands, he will make the move. Teams might think its too tough to pass up adding a player like Pettersson going into the playoffs. 

4 hours ago, Drive-By Body Pierce said:

huh, thats actually a significant statement. I'm just gonna go ahead and say thing are progressing on the talks with Petey's agent. That sounds like the groundwork for discussing a deal has been done. 

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

I am pretty sure if a team meets his demands, he will make the move. Teams might think its too tough to pass up adding a player like Pettersson going into the playoffs. 

the canucks aren't going to make any trades this year that don't make them better this year, period. they're going for a cup. no pettersson trade they make will improve them in the immediate term. 

it's basically a non-starter. 

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, tas said:

the canucks aren't going to make any trades this year that don't make them better this year, period. they're going for a cup. no pettersson trade they make will improve them in the immediate term. 

it's basically a non-starter. 

If Pettersson is not wanting to be here then I think the faster he goes the better. He is not going to want to help us win would he? Never say never, we shall see what happens.

Picking up a Tuch type player would make us better and more ready for the playoffs IMO.

4 hours ago, tas said:

Yeah I’ve felt this way since the preseason. But I’m more at ease that this management team will get us a nice package to retool. 

Funny thing is that the Lindholm trade immediately made me think that it might be more likely that Petey gets moved this summer and that Lindholm is insurance. 

I just think getting Lindholm makes it clear to JT,QH,EP and rest if the core that this management group said they will do their best for the team to build a contender.

Saying that when they came in hearing the core players want to win is keeping them happy.

So in no way does this say we are trading EP.Management is building a winner which the players want so they are giving them the best chance, so how does that say they want to trade EP?????How does that say EP wants out???Both are in the same page.I really think before EP goes, Myers gone off season or takes way less to stay,Cole gone we have a replacement in the minors, Garland or BB could be traded in the summer to get more cap space.We can bring up 3 to 5 players from Abby that shouldn't make us worse.

Lots can happen but out right saying EP is gone is just 💩.He might yes but so far everything he has asked has been given to him.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, tas said:

His agent said nobody wants that to happen.

1 hour ago, EdgarM said:

If Pettersson is not wanting to be here then I think the faster he goes the better. He is not going to want to help us win would he? Never say never, we shall see what happens.

Picking up a Tuch type player would make us better and more ready for the playoffs IMO.

he seems happy and likes money. does it seem like he's phoning it in?

1 hour ago, MJDDawg said:

Yeah I’ve felt this way since the preseason. But I’m more at ease that this management team will get us a nice package to retool. 

Funny thing is that the Lindholm trade immediately made me think that it might be more likely that Petey gets moved this summer and that Lindholm is insurance. 

yeah, petey insurance was definitely part of the Lindholm deal. 

lol vancouver have a toxic fan base period.. he doesn't want to talk contract during season? how dare him? he doesn't want to sign for as much as miller? the guy leads the team in 5v5 production and leads the team by a country mile in points that doesn't involve hughes miller boeser but he sucks. the latest one he doesn't want to talk contract during the season = he doesn't want to help us win a cup this year. let's run him out of town

• Upvote 1