[Report/Rumour] Elias Pettersson Contract Talks

Rubik

8 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

Today's game was not added in the convo so sorry young people don't know hockey.

And yes if a contract is being talked player wants to go there it can .

Has and will as cap will go away in the future.

i honestly have no idea what you're even saying here.

but you seem to be doubling down on the idea that Lindholm can fetch a 1st and a prospect for his UFA rights ... but, I guess i don't know hockey.

• Vintage 1

52 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Nah it's just your take. Most of the fans are great.

right.. good chunk of the fanbase including me were on miller.. then they were on horvat trashing him and still is after traded.. then it's now pettersson.. and hughes when he was struggling in his second season.. and then was on boeser every single season outside of his rookie season.. and that's not including all the non star players.. must be a great fan base to trash a different star player every season.

• Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

right.. good chunk of the fanbase including me were on miller.. then they were on horvat trashing him and still is after traded.. then it's now pettersson.. and hughes when he was struggling in his second season.. and then was on boeser every single season outside of his rookie season.. and that's not including all the non star players.. must be a great fan base to trash a different star player every season.

I guess as long as you consider yourself toxic 😂

8 minutes ago, bh90 said:

i honestly have no idea what you're even saying here.

but you seem to be doubling down on the idea that Lindholm can fetch a 1st and a prospect for his UFA rights ... but, I guess i don't know hockey.

Hahah don’t even bother. The goal posts just keep moving and the coherence of his argument is very vague

• Vintage 1

18 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

The fanbase has been wallowing in misery for decades now. That plays into it. The media here knows that sells and pushes it like a drug. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 2

42 minutes ago, Reckless said:

Sorry but you’re wrong and arguing with yourself apparently. There’s two different conversations going on here. One of them is in this forum and one of them is in your own alcohol saturated brain. Just go back a page Alf and maybe re read what you and the other two posters said. Incase you forgot what you posted many hours ago 

So Alf is winning? That’s all that matters then. 
All bow to the Empties. 

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

Isn't Pete able to Center his line?  I really feel like the best playoff teams are the ones that roll 4 lines. I'm not a fan of the lotto line for this reason. And the notion that Lindholm will now ride w Pete I don't like. Pete is a big boi. I think we should spread our attack out and feast on weak matchups. 

Dakota Miller Garland 

Suter Pete Brock

Hog Lindholm Mikheyev

Aman Blueger Lafferty

If Pete needs Miller or Lindholm to ride w him to produce he should probably lower his contract expectations. 

2 hours ago, TopChed said:

Isn't Pete able to Center his line?  I really feel like the best playoff teams are the ones that roll 4 lines. I'm not a fan of the lotto line for this reason. And the notion that Lindholm will now ride w Pete I don't like. Pete is a big boi. I think we should spread our attack out and feast on weak matchups. 

Dakota Miller Garland 

Suter Pete Brock

Hog Lindholm Mikheyev

Aman Blueger Lafferty

If Pete needs Miller or Lindholm to ride w him to produce he should probably lower his contract expectations. 

There are very, very few players that are like Crosby where they can function as a one man line and elevate the play of whoever is playing with them regardless of who they are. The heavy majority of elite players in the league have other elite players to play with. Kucherov has Stamkos and Point, MacKinnon has Rantanen, Pastrnak has a still PPG Marchand, etc. who has Petey had to play with this year? A .5 PPG Mikheyev.

Playing Pettersson with Lindholm already takes him off the lotto line and allows for a more balanced attack plus you aren't neutering one of Miller or Pettersson. The 3rd line of Garland-Blueger-Joshua has been great all year and doesn't need to be broken up and Hoglander-Aman-Lafferty has been a solid energy like that can still score. Suter can also still be pretty effective on the 4th line if they decide to try one of Hoglander/Lafferty with Petey and Lindholm.

If Petey is top 10 in league scoring without any high end linemates (other than on the PP), I think he's already shown that he can command a lot of money. I still think his play has been frustratingly inconsistent this season but maybe someone like Lindholm as a linemate will fix that.

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, TopChed said:

Dakota Miller Garland 

Suter Pete Brock

Hog Lindholm Mikheyev

Aman Blueger Lafferty

Breaking up the best offensive pairing we have in Miller and Brock is a horrible idea and then breaking up one of if not the best 3rd line this is a disastrous lineup....This could work for NHL24 ill give u that.

Edited by Madskillz
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

9 hours ago, TopChed said:

Dakota Miller Garland 

Suter Pete Brock

Hog Lindholm Mikheyev

Aman Blueger Lafferty

I think you gotta stick to what got the team here right. Putting the lines in a blender and jumbling everything up, when things have been working for the most part, I think is a plan for things to fall apart. Especially this late into the season. Stick to what got you success. If things aren't working in the playoffs, okay, that's when you start mixing and matching to get some kind of momentum or spark going. The boys gotta know though, it's the first to four wins. Would be a major disappointment if they lost in round one. 

• Cheers 1

On 2/2/2024 at 5:35 PM, PhillipBlunt said:

The fanbase has been wallowing in misery for decades now. That plays into it. The media here knows that sells and pushes it like a drug. 

This is true. 

The longer you cheer and are a fan of this team, the likelihood the more toxic we become. sigh....

Which is to say, thank God, this is the year the Canucks win it all. 

• Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I think you gotta stick to what got the team here right. Putting the lines in a blender and jumbling everything up, when things have been working for the most part, I think is a plan for things to fall apart. Especially this late into the season. Stick to what got you success. If things aren't working in the playoffs, okay, that's when you start mixing and matching to get some kind of momentum or spark going. The boys gotta know though, it's the first to four wins. Would be a major disappointment if they lost in round one. 

We haven't gotten anywhere. I don't think the lotto line is a recipe for playoff success.   We have 3 of the best C's in the game and Beluger, Suter it would be a crime not to roll 4 lines.   

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TopChed said:

We haven't gotten anywhere. I don't think the lotto line is a recipe for playoff success.   We have 3 of the best C's in the game and Beluger, Suter it would be a crime not to roll 4 lines.   

It's not a recipe for cup success, but will help win some close games going in the 3rd period when goals are hard to come by.  Having 3 of our top C carrying their own line isn't a good idea when our 3rd line already can hold their own which means one of the C will centre 4th line wingers playing less minutes would not make sense.

Lineup I would like to see Toch tryout

Each line with 2 defensively responsible players, 2 offensively gifted players and 1 winger with speed on the forecheck.

1A

Patterson Lindholm Lafferty (for now)

(Upgrade RW with speed and size)

1B

Mikeyev Miller Brock

(Mikeyev with Petey hasn't worked would like to see him with Miller and brock for a few games)

• Like 1

On 2/2/2024 at 5:16 PM, wai_lai416 said:

Is it "Trash" or "Criticize"? All of those players have had their ups and downs and now we are seeing what they can really do, so were we wrong in criticizing them? 

Some on here get emotional because it appears we are "trashing" their favorite player, aren't we all fans of this team isn't that why we are all here? 

The work ethic we see now is what it was like years ago for this team. We went through a phase where we were too big for our britches and we thought we could coast along without putting in the "staples" of the game. We checked with our sticks, got lazy changing lines and didn't bother to stick up for our fellow team mates anymore.

At the end of the day, many of us are more concerned for the teams success more then any one player. Yes , we have our favorites, but we all want our team to win, I think. :classic_biggrin:

On 2/3/2024 at 11:32 PM, TopChed said:

Dakota Miller Garland 

Suter Pete Brock

Hog Lindholm Mikheyev

Aman Blueger Lafferty

This doesn’t take line chemistry into account at all. The 3rd line has been our most consistent line, no reason to break that up. Petey+Lindholm, Boes+Miller, intact 3rd and 4th lines is a very balanced lineup that you can roll.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Dakota Miller Garland 

Suter Pete Brock

Hog Lindholm Mikheyev

Aman Blueger Lafferty

I think you are right with this, the good playoff teams have the ability to keep up the momentum and the grueling play by rolling all 4 lines.

Prior to the lotto line reunion, we had the top line: Miller/Boeser doing great, as was the 3rd and 4th lines. 

Where we were having concerns with was the 2nd line being anchored by Petey. 

Nobody was doing well on that line and Petey was hot and cold from game to game. 

Why mess with success? I wouldn't mess with Boeser and Miller nor would I break up the life line, they are good. 

The only room for tinkering I see is the 2nd line and the fourth line, if need be. 

If the Petey, Lindholm and Mik line does not pan out ? Then I would try to put Lafferty with Petey/Lindholm.

If that doesn't work, then they might have to go out and get someone else to help with the Petey line by the trade dead line.

We have built a pretty good team so far, no need to mess with that. Get the 2nd line going and we are looking pretty good going into the playoffs.

• Cheers 1

38 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Is it "Trash" or "Criticize"? All of those players have had their ups and downs and now we are seeing what they can really do, so were we wrong in criticizing them? 

Some on here get emotional because it appears we are "trashing" their favorite player, aren't we all fans of this team isn't that why we are all here? 

The work ethic we see now is what it was like years ago for this team. We went through a phase where we were too big for our britches and we thought we could coast along without putting in the "staples" of the game. We checked with our sticks, got lazy changing lines and didn't bother to stick up for our fellow team mates anymore.

At the end of the day, many of us are more concerned for the teams success more then any one player. Yes , we have our favorites, but we all want our team to win, I think. :classic_biggrin:

Criticizing is fine but the fan base is making fun of. Calling player this and that, wishing certain players to get injured so they don’t have to watch him on the team etc etc I wouldn’t consider that criticizing. There’s plenty here that wanted say a Myers to break his leg or have a season ending injury so they don’t have to watch him play again. That’s not really criticizing 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

Criticizing is fine but the fan base is making fun of. Calling player this and that, wishing certain players to get injured so they don’t have to watch him on the team etc etc I wouldn’t consider that criticizing. There’s plenty here that wanted say a Myers to break his leg or have a season ending injury so they don’t have to watch him play again. That’s not really criticizing 

Yeah I agree, I haven't seen postings like that but if there is, then yeah that is inappropriate. 

• Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, arsenalian said:

This doesn’t take line chemistry into account at all. The 3rd line has been our most consistent line, no reason to break that up. Petey+Lindholm, Boes+Miller, intact 3rd and 4th lines is a very balanced lineup that you can roll.

I'm wary of paying Pete superstar money if he needs an elite center to play with him. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, TopChed said:

I'm wary of paying Pete superstar money if he needs an elite center to play with him. 

I wouldn’t consider lindholm elite. I don’t think he needs elite player to play with him he needs complimentary players that plays his style. I mean boeser needs a miller. Miller kinda needs a Hughes his production without Hughes isn’t exactly great. Everyone needs a complimentary player 

Dakota Miller Garland 

Suter Pete Brock

Hog Lindholm Mikheyev

Aman Blueger Lafferty

Not a fan of those combinations at this time of year as they have zero time together but....I've been saying this.  Petey cannot drive a line on his own.  There are maybe 5 players in the league that can...McDavid, mathews, Crosby, ovechkin, McKinnon.  These are tier one players imo as they can do what they do regardless of who is beside them.  So no...petey should not earn what they do.  When you over pay for a complimentary player you run the risk of said player hugely underperforming if he doesn't have a super star to play with.

Edited by ronning4center
  • Cheers 1