[Report/Rumour] Elias Pettersson Contract Talks

On 2/20/2024 at 4:54 AM, Elias Pettersson said:

Apparently one of these 13 players who lead the NHL in scoring is not a play driver. I’m just wondering how that is possible?  How is it possible to have more points than Auston Matthews and Leon Draisaitl and not be a play driver? 

IMG_0665.png

We watch the same games and we see the third line drive play on almost a nightly basis. Can you point to a stretch of games where we have seen that kind of consistency from Pettersson's line?

• Thanks 1

On 2/20/2024 at 4:54 AM, Elias Pettersson said:

Apparently one of these 13 players who lead the NHL in scoring is not a play driver. I’m just wondering how that is possible?  How is it possible to have more points than Auston Matthews and Leon Draisaitl and not be a play driver? 

IMG_0665.png

Just thought I'd mention that Matthews trails Pettersson by one point at the date of your screenshot but had played like 5 fewer games 🤣

Edited by 43isprime

2 hours ago, 43isprime said:

Take a look above at how Pettersson does with and without Hughes - maybe that will answer your question.

So wich player on the team is the one the other team tries to nullify the most? 
As when we meet Edmonton and tries to nullify McDavid?

I remember some very similar comments about the Sedins as what I hear on this board about Petey.

I'm sure we can all remember the hints of weakness, getting squashed against the boards, can't

skate, get pushed around too easily, they're too small; they need to add weight/muscle, etc.

"Sisters" rather than "Bambi".

Here's a stat comparison:

Sedins (I used the season stats that was the best of the pair).

1st yr:  19yrs; 75 games - 20g - 34pts

Breakout year: 22yrs; 82 games - 22g - 75pts

Best season:  Henrik -28yrs; 82 games - 29g -112pts

"        "            :  Daniel -29yrs; 82 games - 41g - 104pts

# of seasons with at least a pt per game:  18 seasons; 5 times

Career stats: Henrik -18 seasons; 1330 games - 240g -1070pts

"         "     : Daniel -18      "        ; 1306     "       - 393g -1041pts

Pettersson (Nov birth, so set his entry year at 20 rather than 19).

1st yr:  20yrs; 71 games -28g - 66pts

Breakout year:  21yrs; 68 games - 27g - 66pts

Best season:   24yrs; 82 games;  - 39g -102pt

# of seasons over a pt per game; 6 seasons; 2 times

Current season: 25yrs; 58 games; 29g -73pt

Career stats:  6 season (1 incomplete) 383 games; 165g -396pts

Petey is projected to be the superior player at 25yrs already. His #s would be even greater, but

for the 26game injury season, covid yrs and the current unfinished season.  Let's not

forget the players that the Sedins had when they joined the Canucks; such as, Nasland,

Morrison and the big guys; Bert, Ohland, Salo, Rutto, Cooke, Jovo, Kesler, Burr, Edler, Bieksa, etc.

Petey finally gets some offensive talent (Hogs/Lindy), along with secondary dmen, but still manages

to be 7th overall in points for NHL players.

Like the twins, Petey will end his career, with his jersey retired somewhere in the league;

hopefully Vancouver.

Canuck fans need to cheer this young man on and be thankful that they get to watch his

development during the next few years. 

• Vintage 1

13 hours ago, 43isprime said:

We watch the same games and we see the third line drive play on almost a nightly basis. Can you point to a stretch of games where we have seen that kind of consistency from Pettersson's line?

Do you really watch the games? 

Didn’t you just see Avalanches third line score the goals and our third line without Joshua couldn’t cope? 

Do you understand what really happens on the ice or do you just make things up? 

On 2/19/2024 at 1:37 AM, Elias Pettersson said:

So how do you become the 5th leading scorer in the NHL without being a play driver?  Can you explain that?  Who is helping Petey get to 105 points?  Someone must be driving the play for him right?  Who is that player?

Ask Huberdeau. 

• Cheers 1

On 2/18/2024 at 2:29 PM, Grandmaster said:

I would consider once the Pens are officially out, Petey for Crosby straight up.

Pens got to realize Crosby is 37 next year and Canucks realize Crosby secures us a Cup this year.

I am fine trading Petey for a very very good player, a 1st or 2, and a very very good prospect.

Crosby is fine but as a trade, just not worth Petey. Sorry.  People don't trade elite players for other elite players making more and having less points and being 10 years older. Makes zero sense lol.

9 hours ago, LillStrimma said:

Do you really watch the games? 

Didn’t you just see Avalanches third line score the goals and our third line without Joshua couldn’t cope? 

Do you understand what really happens on the ice or do you just make things up? 

Makes me think that the priority probably has to be to resign Joshua this off-season. There's nobody that can replace him from within the organization. 

7 hours ago, Mac said:

I am fine trading Petey for a very very good player, a 1st or 2, and a very very good prospect.

Crosby is fine but as a trade, just not worth Petey. Sorry.  People don't trade elite players for other elite players making more and having less points and being 10 years older. Makes zero sense lol.

nah. I want to keep him. 

Him and Hughes are the franchise moving forward. 

Petey and Lindholm look Ok, but man Hoggy is the hot stick right now. Seems he scores every night. Couple disallowed but he's the hot hand. I'd give that line a few more games before messing with it. After that maybe put Lindholm at center and put the lotto line back together.

Petey Miller Boeser 

Hoglander Lindholm Suter?

44 minutes ago, Rick_theRyper said:

Petey and Lindholm look Ok, but man Hoggy is the hot stick right now. Seems he scores every night. Couple disallowed but he's the hot hand. I'd give that line a few more games before messing with it. After that maybe put Lindholm at center and put the lotto line back together.

Petey Miller Boeser 

Hoglander Lindholm Suter?

Agree with lotto line 

agree with Lindy at C and tbh imho that’s a decent 2nd line 

a third line of milky Blugger Garland should be good but Bains set up Blugger for 2 beauty chances and I liked him in that line 

a 4th line of Milky Aman Laffy is more of a 3rd line which is what we want too 

nice 

• Cheers 1

On 2/21/2024 at 12:11 PM, higgyfan said:

I remember some very similar comments about the Sedins as what I hear on this board about Petey.

I'm sure we can all remember the hints of weakness, getting squashed against the boards, can't

skate, get pushed around too easily, they're too small; they need to add weight/muscle, etc.

"Sisters" rather than "Bambi".

Here's a stat comparison:

Sedins (I used the season stats that was the best of the pair).

1st yr:  19yrs; 75 games - 20g - 34pts

Breakout year: 22yrs; 82 games - 22g - 75pts

Best season:  Henrik -28yrs; 82 games - 29g -112pts

"        "            :  Daniel -29yrs; 82 games - 41g - 104pts

# of seasons with at least a pt per game:  18 seasons; 5 times

Career stats: Henrik -18 seasons; 1330 games - 240g -1070pts

"         "     : Daniel -18      "        ; 1306     "       - 393g -1041pts

Pettersson (Nov birth, so set his entry year at 20 rather than 19).

1st yr:  20yrs; 71 games -28g - 66pts

Breakout year:  21yrs; 68 games - 27g - 66pts

Best season:   24yrs; 82 games;  - 39g -102pt

# of seasons over a pt per game; 6 seasons; 2 times

Current season: 25yrs; 58 games; 29g -73pt

Career stats:  6 season (1 incomplete) 383 games; 165g -396pts

Petey is projected to be the superior player at 25yrs already. His #s would be even greater, but

for the 26game injury season, covid yrs and the current unfinished season.  Let's not

forget the players that the Sedins had when they joined the Canucks; such as, Nasland,

Morrison and the big guys; Bert, Ohland, Salo, Rutto, Cooke, Jovo, Kesler, Burr, Edler, Bieksa, etc.

Petey finally gets some offensive talent (Hogs/Lindy), along with secondary dmen, but still manages

to be 7th overall in points for NHL players.

Like the twins, Petey will end his career, with his jersey retired somewhere in the league;

hopefully Vancouver.

Canuck fans need to cheer this young man on and be thankful that they get to watch his

development during the next few years. 

I think I can boil this down for you.  Henrik sedin was a captain a leader an ambassador in the community a team first guy and absolutely outstanding with the media.  He would answer any question thrown at him.  I love petey for a lot of reasons but I'm seeing arrogance, a lack of community/team commitment  and an over all entitled attitude in public with an expectation that he become the highest paid player in the league.  This has me doubting his character more than his stats.  

On 2/21/2024 at 4:08 AM, 43isprime said:

Just thought I'd mention that Matthews trails Pettersson by one point at the date of your screenshot but had played like 5 fewer games 🤣

Being a play driver is leading your line into battle.  Taking control of a play  creating thr opportunity where after the goal is scored you look at your buddy and say " Damn, that was all Petey!"   When you play the power play with 2 other 100 point players or on the top Two lines on the highest scoring team in the league you can accumulate a ton of assists.  This does not mean you're a play driver.  It means your a good hockey player with some epic line mates.

10 minutes ago, ronning4center said:

I think I can boil this down for you.  Henrik sedin was a captain a leader an ambassador in the community a team first guy and absolutely outstanding with the media.  He would answer any question thrown at him.  I love petey for a lot of reasons but I'm seeing arrogance, a lack of community/team commitment  and an over all entitled attitude in public with an expectation that he become the highest paid player in the league.  This has me doubting his character more than his stats.  

The twins joined a team that had several great mentors and were never expected to be the #1 line

for several years.  There was no social media to speak of and he always has his twin brother to

let off steam when needed.  Yes, they were/are quality individuals, but I bet it sure helps having

the person you trust most in the world, helping you to stay even keeled.

You're entitled to your opinion.  I just don't 'see' the bolded statement the same way.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

The twins joined a team that had several great mentors and were never expected to be the #1 line

for several years.  There was no social media to speak of and he always has his twin brother to

let off steam when needed.  Yes, they were/are quality individuals, but I bet it sure helps having

the person you trust most in the world, helping you to stay even keeled.

You're entitled to your opinion.  I just don't 'see' the bolded statement the same way.

That makes sense.  Having Daniel would have helped but I still say there isn't really a comparison to the twins in the character department.  They also didn't hold out to be the highest paid players.  They were the best in the league and they did hold out but settled well below market value.  This whole thing is just nerve racking.  At the end of the day I don't believe petey wants to be in our market and it makes me mad we'd lose a rare franchise player.  Imagine if we pay him mathews money...the sheer scrutiny he'd face daily if he so much as sneezes.   The fact that he gets bent out of shape at any question he doesn't like is so telling.  No way he signs up for a career of that but 10 times worse.

Edited by ronning4center

3 minutes ago, ronning4center said:

That makes sense.  Having Daniel would have helped but I still say there isn't really a comparison to the twins in the character department.  They also didn't hold put to be the highest paid players.  They were the best in thr league and they did hold out but settled well below market value.  This whole thing is just nerve racking.  At the end of the day I don't believe petey wants to be in our market and it makes me mad we'd lose a rare franchise player.  Imagine if we pay him mathews money...the sheer scrutiny he'd face daily if he so much as sneezes.   The fact that he gets bent out of shape at any question he doesn't like is so telling.  No way he signs up for a career of that but 10 times worse.

they were paid what they were worth at the time. the sedins broke out the year the signed the contract and then were on the decline by the time they were up for another contract

I say anywhere between $11m to $12m is fair for both sides.  Petey is not Mackinnon or Matthews level talent.  So I can't see how he should be getting anything over $12m.