[Report/Rumour] Elias Pettersson Contract Talks

8 minutes ago, ronning4center said:

That makes sense.  Having Daniel would have helped but I still say there isn't really a comparison to the twins in the character department.  They also didn't hold out to be the highest paid players.  They were the best in the league and they did hold out but settled well below market value.  This whole thing is just nerve racking.  At the end of the day I don't believe petey wants to be in our market and it makes me mad we'd lose a rare franchise player.  Imagine if we pay him mathews money...the sheer scrutiny he'd face daily if he so much as sneezes.   The fact that he gets bent out of shape at any question he doesn't like is so telling.  No way he signs up for a career of that but 10 times worse.

You have no proof of anything you just wrote.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ronning4center said:

That makes sense.  Having Daniel would have helped but I still say there isn't really a comparison to the twins in the character department.  They also didn't hold out to be the highest paid players.  They were the best in the league and they did hold out but settled well below market value.  This whole thing is just nerve racking.  At the end of the day I don't believe petey wants to be in our market and it makes me mad we'd lose a rare franchise player.  Imagine if we pay him mathews money...the sheer scrutiny he'd face daily if he so much as sneezes.   The fact that he gets bent out of shape at any question he doesn't like is so telling.  No way he signs up for a career of that but 10 times worse.

I won't comment on the Sedins settling for below market value, as I'm sure other will.

Again, I don't see the bolded points the same as you.  I also don't think he (or the management)

are thinking about a Matthews contract.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

You have no proof of anything you just wrote.

That he doesn't respond well to difficult questions?  Every analyst from donnie and dahli, sekeres and price, Thomas drance, frank seriveli...the proof is there for that comment.  The rest is pure speculation.....

Edited by ronning4center

6 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

I won't comment on the Sedins settling for below market value, as I'm sure other will.

Again, I don't see the bolded points the same as you.  I also don't think he (or the management)

are thinking about a Matthews contract.

You may be right.  We could all be surprised and he could settle on 9 mill and we'd all be happy.  It's funny how the number a player signs for and thier resulting body of work  directly relates to how we feel about said player moving forward.   I would assert that anything over 10 million would put too much fan pressure on this particular player.

20 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I say anywhere between $11m to $12m is fair for both sides.  Petey is not Mackinnon or Matthews level talent.  So I can't see how he should be getting anything over $12m.

i agree nothing over 12 and tbh i doubt he's looking for over 12

With the rumour today that the Canucks tabled 8 x 12 this offseason to Petey and he hasn't said yes or no, let's look at trade options for fun. 

What do you guys think of trades with these pieces as the meat of the trade?

Idea for both is that moving Petey out allows for us to resign Lindholm and then trade for a Petey replacement on that line while also improving the D.

To Buffalo:

Petey 

To Van:

Power

Benson

Or the exciting

To NJ:

Petey

D Petey

Lekkermaki

Pick or prospect not Willander

To Van:

Jack Hughes

Luke Hughes

Pod Miller Boeser

Hoglander Hughes Lindholm

Joshua Bluegar Garland

Lafferty Suter Bains (Mikeyhav if not traded)

Hughes Hronek

Hughes Willander

Soucy Juulsen 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, HKSR said:

If he's not looking for over 12, a deal will get done guaranteed.  

i think it'll get done.. he prolly wanted to see how the season goes and wanted to stick to his word not negotiating during the season.. or maybe if we make the playoff but get blown out of the 1st round who knows.

• Cheers 1

On 2/18/2024 at 3:29 PM, Grandmaster said:

I would consider once the Pens are officially out, Petey for Crosby straight up.

Pens got to realize Crosby is 37 next year and Canucks realize Crosby secures us a Cup this year.

IMG_9285.gif

Edited by Grinch

8 minutes ago, Tower102 said:

With the rumour today that the Canucks tabled 8 x 12 this offseason to Petey and he hasn't said yes or no, let's look at trade options for fun. 

Idea for both is that moving Petey out allows for us to resign Lindholm and then trade for a Petey replacement on that line while also improving the D.

To Buffalo:

Petey 

To Van:

Power

Benson

Or the exciting

To NJ:

Petey

D Petey

Lekkermaki

To Van:

Jack Hughes

Luke Hughes

Pod Miller Boeser

Joshua Bluegar Garland

Hughes Hronek

Hughes Willander

Soucy Juulsen 

Done in a heart beat

13 minutes ago, Tower102 said:

To Buffalo:

Petey 

To Van:

Power

Benson

Or the exciting

To NJ:

Petey

D Petey

Lekkermaki

To Van:

Jack Hughes

Luke Hughes

Pod Miller Boeser

Joshua Bluegar Garland

Hughes Hronek

Hughes Willander

Soucy Juulsen 

NJ laughs.

EP40 has been clear about not worrying about a contract this year.

1 minute ago, sxqhfeh said:

Just saw this. Not sure if it's legit or not. But if it is, I'm feeling like this is too much for an 8 year deal. Would like to see it closer to 8 years $88million.

Also, if it's true and Petey isn't taking the offer, that's a bit concerning. What more does he want?

6 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

NJ laughs.

EP40 has been clear about not worrying about a contract this year.

During the season yes but this was reportedly offered in the offseason and is at the highest end of what he should get, I think a little rich even.

I don't think NJ laughs, they might say no but that's a strong starting offer to work off of.

21 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I say anywhere between $11m to $12m is fair for both sides.  Petey is not Mackinnon or Matthews level talent.  So I can't see how he should be getting anything over $12m.

The argument goes that Petey is a 2nd tier true #1 centre which would put him below McDavid, Matthews, MacKinnon etc. but above Aho and Barzal.  It is being suggested that 14% of the salary cap is fair.  If the cap is $87M next season, that would be $12.18M

5 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

The argument goes that Petey is a 2nd tier true #1 centre which would put him below McDavid, Matthews, MacKinnon etc. but above Aho and Barzal.  It is being suggested that 14% of the salary cap is fair.  If the cap is $87M next season, that would be $12.18M

That'd be fine.  Kind of a weird number though lol

47 minutes ago, ronning4center said:

You may be right.  We could all be surprised and he could settle on 9 mill and we'd all be happy.  It's funny how the number a player signs for and thier resulting body of work  directly relates to how we feel about said player moving forward.   I would assert that anything over 10 million would put too much fan pressure on this particular player.

Well, he certainly deserves more than 9m.  The thing that really skrewed all this up is the overpayment

on the Nylander contract.  I would much rather have Petey on my team than Willy.   EP is 2 1/2 yrs

younger and plays a more significant position.  In the last 3 yrs, he is beginning to surpass Willy

in goals/points. 

I think Pete deserves more than 10m and can easily perform to that level.  I don't see him as

fragile as you apparently do, but I think his play during the playoffs will be a factor in how

he performs under pressure.

7 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Well, he certainly deserves more than 9m.  The thing that really skrewed all this up is the overpayment

on the Nylander contract.  I would much rather have Petey on my team than Willy.   EP is 2 1/2 yrs

younger and plays a more significant position.  In the last 3 yrs, he is beginning to surpass Willy

in goals/points. 

I think Pete deserves more than 10m and can easily perform to that level.  I don't see him as

fragile as you apparently do, but I think his play during the playoffs will be a factor in how

he performs under pressure.

I would agree.  When the heat turns up we'll see how he does.  From a top paid player in the league I want him to be noticed.  I want to see a great rush or a dominant powerplay shift.  He's so opportunistic and I would argue that with out 100 point players in thr top six he doesn't score at nearly that pace.  Let's say on an average tram he's a 30 goal scorer who finishes with 65 or 70 points.  What's he worth then?  I also put goals over assists when your linemates all score 30 as well.  Right now if you asked me Miller or petey...I'm picking Miller.  Age aside.  None of this adds up to 12 mill a year...which we are hearing he's now rejected.  It may be as simple as he's not sure he wants to deal with our media.

3 minutes ago, ronning4center said:

I would agree.  When the heat turns up we'll see how he does.  From a top paid player in the league I want him to be noticed.  I want to see a great rush or a dominant powerplay shift.  He's so opportunistic and I would argue that with out 100 point players in thr top six he doesn't score at nearly that pace.  Let's say on an average tram he's a 30 goal scorer who finishes with 65 or 70 points.  What's he worth then?  I also put goals over assists when your linemates all score 30 as well.  Right now if you asked me Miller or petey...I'm picking Miller.  Age aside.  None of this adds up to 12 mill a year...which we are hearing he's now rejected.  It may be as simple as he's not sure he wants to deal with our media.

Pete has scored 32, 39 and probably +40goals(this season) in the past 3 years.  I would say that our top 6 is

pretty average, with JT and a suddenly improved Brock + Petey as the sole offensive players. 

He just turned 25yrs...what were JT and Nylander doing at that age? LOL

• Cheers 1

Sorry no way Pedey should be paid 2 mill let alone 4 million  more than our top forward , the really really old #9 JT .              Be interesting what teams he would actually like to sign with and if they would be even interested in trading many assets and spending that much on him

2 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Pete has scored 32, 39 and probably +40goals(this season) in the past 3 years.  I would say that our top 6 is

pretty average, with JT and a suddenly improved Brock + Petey as the sole offensive players. 

He just turned 25yrs...what were JT and Nylander doing at that age? LOL

Well I know what McDavid and McKinnon and Crosby and ovechkin and mathews were doing hehe...

• Confused 1

Call up the Coyotes and offer them this huge face of the franchise player named pety, and they say we're listening, and we ask for Clayton keller and a 1st, and they couldn't make it happen fast enough. But really we win.