[Waivers] Corey Perry and Will Butcher

4 minutes ago, Olli Juolevi said:

I think it could even be something like an inappropriate joke or comment he made to a staffer or media member. I imagine the Blackhawks tolerance level for stuff like that would be lower than most teams, and rightfully so. 

No chance that would be even remotely enough to terminate a $4 million dollar guaranteed contract.

It has to be pretty serious.  Them having a low tolerance (which I don’t buy at all), doesn’t mean anything in labour or contract law.

• Cheers 2

Sources told ESPN's Emily Kaplan that Perry indeed traveled with the team to Columbus last Tuesday, a day before the game, and an incident occurred that day involving a team employee. Davidson said Perry, who did not play in the team's 7-3 loss, was "immediately pulled" from the game once the Blackhawks were notified, and at that point, the club began an investigation.

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/38999666/blackhawks-waive-corey-perry-unacceptable-conduct

11 hours ago, Provost said:

No chance that would be even remotely enough to terminate a $4 million dollar guaranteed contract.

It has to be pretty serious.  Them having a low tolerance (which I don’t buy at all), doesn’t mean anything in labour or contract law.

it depends on Perry........if he agrees to terminate, then that's all it takes isn't it?  I do wonder if it could be something less serious and the Hwks are just be extra careful given their history.  Again, for a guy who has been pretty low key off the ice, it's just a strange turn of events

15 hours ago, amplified0ne said:

Maybe he was gambling but doesnt sound like the NHL was directly involved.  Who knows, but some information would help quell some of the rumors that affect even when they dont have anything to do with the situation.  I guess gotta wait to see if the NHLPA grieves this, if they choose not to thats pretty damning in of itself.

If he was gambling he would be suspended for half a season. and if it was something way softer like grooming children so you can sexual assault them, or maybe he two handed slashed an employee across the face with his stick, the NHL wouldnt never allow him to be punished.

Gotta be something in the middle. Like he probably said something super racist, or he hired a bunch of hookers. Not quite as terrible as gambling, but not quite as soft as rape. According to the NHL and Blackhawks organization.

21 hours ago, Jaimito said:

"After an internal investigation, the Chicago Blackhawks have determined that that Corey Perry has engaged in conduct that is unacceptable, and in violation of both the terms of his Standard Player's Contract and the Blackhawks' internal policies intended to promote professional and safe work environments," the team said in a release. "As such, Corey Perry has been placed on unconditional waivers. In the event Mr. Perry clears waivers, we intend to terminate his contract effective immediately."

Chicago Blackhawks put Corey Perry on waivers for purposes of contract termination | TSN

Reads like a hazing incident

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

That felt like the biggest takeaway from the presser (if he's telling the truth).

He made a point that it didn't involve any players or their families, but when asked if it involved any staff or their families, he didn't deny it.

13 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

Perry is too slow to be playing bottom 6 and not good enough anymore to be playing in a top 6.

Perry has always been slow, but he's a net front monster and fierce competitor. All things being equal, Tocchet would love his style. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

Reads like a hazing incident

Safe work environment...

BH org said it didnt involve any other players and said involved staff.

My guess is that it could range anywhere between getting drunk on a roadtrip and coming on too strong on a female employee or physically and verbally abusing a staff member.

Somewhere in between but probably shouldnt speculate.

reminds me of something like

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nhl/news/penguins-sexual-assault-scandal-explained-former-ahl-assistant-coach-wife-lawsuits-retaliation/8s3omdvt1vfh1wrd8beuebzt8

Jarrod Skalde's wife sexually assaulted by Donatelli

Hockey culture is so gross 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

As far as I can tell Chicago (sans Perry) has a cap hit of $70m, cap floor is little over $60m, pretty sure we're not getting paid to offload salary.

Well well Biff, it seems we did get paid to offload salary even if it was in the form of draft capital 😉

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Odjickwillkillyou said:

Well well Biff, it seems we did get paid to offload salary even if it was in the form of draft capital 😉

I'm pleasantly surprised we got a 5th, presumably Chicago think they can flip him for a slightly higher pic closer to the deadline. In the meantime we can (probably) reallocate that cap somewhere more useful and Beau will get a top 6 role in Chicago.

I was thinking you were expecting a reasonable prospect in return, but was it actually Connor Murphy?

4 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I'm sure it would. Let's find out what he did first.

The fact it was the team that voted him out tells me that its a personal barrier that was crossed and its a locker room issue. Not an organizational issue (staff member)

George Laraques comments are also a little “read between the line-ish”

”it wasnt Bedards mom. I can tell you that for certain” 

So it wasnt Bedards mom…. But its someone elses mom… 

I strongly believe its either someones mom OR someones partner… but im leaning more towards the mom thing just from the way Laroque said he knows exactly what happened and said it wasn’t Bedards mom instead of saying no mothers were involved 

4 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

The fact it was the team that voted him out tells me that its a personal barrier that was crossed and its a locker room issue. Not an organizational issue (staff member)

George Laraques comments are also a little “read between the line-ish”

”it wasnt Bedards mom. I can tell you that for certain” 

So it wasnt Bedards mom…. But its someone elses mom… 

I strongly believe its either someones mom OR someones partner… but im leaning more towards the mom thing just from the way Laroque said he knows exactly what happened and said it wasn’t Bedards mom instead of saying no mothers were involved 

Why is this rumor so mom obsessed?

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Iirc the gm and management booted him, and the players knew nothing about it.?

From what I’ve heard. The team wouldnt allow him on the bus he had to walk to the game. Then voted him out of the lineup. If the team knew nothing, he woulda been on that bus

4 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Why is this rumor so mom obsessed?

Moms trip, the timing of everything, the alcohol involved and having a good time as a big group on the road…. It seems too suspicious… that and the fact the players wanted him gone just screams something personal and with the way Laraque worded “it wasnt Bedards mom”…. Implies it was someone elses mom.

why not clear all moms of the rumour instead of just one?

5 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

Moms trip, the timing of everything, the alcohol involved and having a good time as a big group on the road…. It seems too suspicious… that and the fact the players wanted him gone just screams something personal and with the way Laraque worded “it wasnt Bedards mom”…. Implies it was someone elses mom.

why not clear all moms of the rumour instead of just one?

Anne Hathaway Just Let It Go GIF by Apple TV+

49 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

From what I’ve heard. The team wouldnt allow him on the bus he had to walk to the game.

From where?

As this would make a lot of the following to be false/lies

"

Timeline of events

Nov. 21: Perry practices normally with Blackhawks

Perry was spotted practicing as usual, taking photos with fans and staying late on the ice to work with rookie Connor Bedard on a routine shooting drill. This was the last time Perry was seen with the Blackhawks in any official capacity.

ESPN's Emily Kaplan reported this was the day the alleged incident took place.

Nov. 22: Perry is healthy-scratched for game against Blue Jackets

Perry was deemed a healthy scratch with no prior indication from the Blackhawks that he would miss this game.

Nov. 23: Richardson calls the scratch an “organizational decision”

Blackhawks head coach Luke Richardson invited more speculation when he revealed that Perry’s scratch was an organizational decision, rather than a tactical one.

"I just wanted to start by saying I know you have questions about Corey Perry not playing last night and attending practice today but we’re going to keep that internal in the organization right now," Richardson said via Charlie Roumeliotis of NBC Sports. "I’m not going to be able to answer any more questions on that."

Blackhawks players also weighed in on Perry’s absence publicly for the first time.

"We've got a lot of young guys, so it's kind of a shock at first,” Blackhawks forward Nick Foligno said via The Athletic’s Mark Lazerus. “But it's being a pro. We talk about it and this is an opportunity to do that. It's the outside noise that you have to push away, whether it's this or anything else that's going on in your life."

Connor Bedard also spoke about the matter.

“I'm not going to speak on it too much," Bedard said of Perry's absence. "Obviously it sucks he's not here but we don't really have too much information on it or anything yet, but of course he's a big part of the team and it sucks he can't be here today."

Nov. 25: Davidson reveals Perry would be absent for “the foreseeable future”

Blackhawks general manager Kyle Davidson told reporters that Perry would be away for the foreseeable future. He also made the distinction that it was a team decision.

Perry's agent released a statement saying his client was stepping aside for personal matters.

Nov. 28: Blackhawks place Perry on waivers for purpose of contract termination

Chicago placed Perry on waivers for the purpose of contract termination, ending his tenure with the team. With rampant speculation surrounding the mysterious nature of Perry’s absence, Davidson held a press conference later that afternoon.

Nov. 29: Perry clears waivers

Perry cleared waivers and his contract was terminated immediately. He finished his Blackhawks career with four goals and nine points in 16 games with the franchise.

Davidson then revealed Perry was involved in an incident with a team employee that happened on Nov. 21 in Columbus.

“I just can’t get into specifics because it is an individual personnel matter,” Davidson said.

Davidson then revealed Perry was involved in an incident with a team employee that happened on Nov. 21 in Columbus.

“I just can’t get into specifics because it is an individual personnel matter,” Davidson said.

Alcohol reportedly involved

According to Frank Seravalli of Daily Faceoff, the incident reportedly was "alcohol-fueled" and allegedly took place in Nashville on Nov. 17. Seravalli added that the incident occurred during a Blackhawks-organized corporate event that included sponsors and team employees in attendance, though he also indicated that the timing, witnesses, and who reported it to the Blackhawks were still unclear.

Incident was not criminal

Davidson was immediately asked if there’s any criminality involving Perry. He paused before stating that “this was a workplace matter” — a phrase he repeated multiple times during the span of his 10-minute press conference when asked about any involvement of law enforcement or criminality.

NHL and NHLPA were informed

Davidson also revealed that the NHL and NHLPA are aware of the details surrounding Perry’s incident.

“The league was understanding of the situation as was the NHLPA. All parties are informed but again, team incident so it’s a team decision.”

Larry Brooks of the New York Post reported that the NHLPA is reviewing the Perry incident and the union has 60 days to file a grievance following the termination of his contract.

Blackhawks players don't know what happened

Davidson stated that the Blackhawks players aren’t aware of the details surrounding the incident. He revealed that he met with the team earlier Tuesday, informing them of the organization’s decision to release Perry. Asked about the players’ reaction, Davidson merely stated they listened and he didn’t indicate whether the players provided any feedback.

Chicago defenseman Seth Jones offered the following comment, per Lazerus.

"He’s a brother and we care about everyone in this room. We don’t have any details of what happened, but I know the organization wants to keep a (level of) conduct here, and a place where we hold each other to a standard. I guess that was broken."

30 minutes ago, Gurn said:

From where?

As this would make a lot of the following to be false/lies

"

Timeline of events

Nov. 21: Perry practices normally with Blackhawks

Perry was spotted practicing as usual, taking photos with fans and staying late on the ice to work with rookie Connor Bedard on a routine shooting drill. This was the last time Perry was seen with the Blackhawks in any official capacity.

ESPN's Emily Kaplan reported this was the day the alleged incident took place.

Nov. 22: Perry is healthy-scratched for game against Blue Jackets

Perry was deemed a healthy scratch with no prior indication from the Blackhawks that he would miss this game.

Nov. 23: Richardson calls the scratch an “organizational decision”

Blackhawks head coach Luke Richardson invited more speculation when he revealed that Perry’s scratch was an organizational decision, rather than a tactical one.

"I just wanted to start by saying I know you have questions about Corey Perry not playing last night and attending practice today but we’re going to keep that internal in the organization right now," Richardson said via Charlie Roumeliotis of NBC Sports. "I’m not going to be able to answer any more questions on that."

Blackhawks players also weighed in on Perry’s absence publicly for the first time.

"We've got a lot of young guys, so it's kind of a shock at first,” Blackhawks forward Nick Foligno said via The Athletic’s Mark Lazerus. “But it's being a pro. We talk about it and this is an opportunity to do that. It's the outside noise that you have to push away, whether it's this or anything else that's going on in your life."

Connor Bedard also spoke about the matter.

“I'm not going to speak on it too much," Bedard said of Perry's absence. "Obviously it sucks he's not here but we don't really have too much information on it or anything yet, but of course he's a big part of the team and it sucks he can't be here today."

Nov. 25: Davidson reveals Perry would be absent for “the foreseeable future”

Blackhawks general manager Kyle Davidson told reporters that Perry would be away for the foreseeable future. He also made the distinction that it was a team decision.

Perry's agent released a statement saying his client was stepping aside for personal matters.

Nov. 28: Blackhawks place Perry on waivers for purpose of contract termination

Chicago placed Perry on waivers for the purpose of contract termination, ending his tenure with the team. With rampant speculation surrounding the mysterious nature of Perry’s absence, Davidson held a press conference later that afternoon.

Nov. 29: Perry clears waivers

Perry cleared waivers and his contract was terminated immediately. He finished his Blackhawks career with four goals and nine points in 16 games with the franchise.

Davidson then revealed Perry was involved in an incident with a team employee that happened on Nov. 21 in Columbus.

Davidson then revealed Perry was involved in an incident with a team employee that happened on Nov. 21 in Columbus.

Alcohol reportedly involved

According to Frank Seravalli of Daily Faceoff, the incident reportedly was "alcohol-fueled" and allegedly took place in Nashville on Nov. 17. Seravalli added that the incident occurred during a Blackhawks-organized corporate event that included sponsors and team employees in attendance, though he also indicated that the timing, witnesses, and who reported it to the Blackhawks were still unclear.

Incident was not criminal

Davidson was immediately asked if there’s any criminality involving Perry. He paused before stating that “this was a workplace matter” — a phrase he repeated multiple times during the span of his 10-minute press conference when asked about any involvement of law enforcement or criminality.

NHL and NHLPA were informed

Davidson also revealed that the NHL and NHLPA are aware of the details surrounding Perry’s incident.

“The league was understanding of the situation as was the NHLPA. All parties are informed but again, team incident so it’s a team decision.”

Larry Brooks of the New York Post reported that the NHLPA is reviewing the Perry incident and the union has 60 days to file a grievance following the termination of his contract.

Blackhawks players don't know what happened

Davidson stated that the Blackhawks players aren’t aware of the details surrounding the incident. He revealed that he met with the team earlier Tuesday, informing them of the organization’s decision to release Perry. Asked about the players’ reaction, Davidson merely stated they listened and he didn’t indicate whether the players provided any feedback.

Chicago defenseman Seth Jones offered the following comment, per Lazerus.

"He’s a brother and we care about everyone in this room. We don’t have any details of what happened, but I know the organization wants to keep a (level of) conduct here, and a place where we hold each other to a standard. I guess that was broken."

I’m trying to recall where I heard/read that the players made the choice which then became a managerial decision. 

Why would they keep him off the bus away from the players though? That just draws attention to an internal matter that sheds a spotlight on Corey Perry. 
Do you truly believe Kyle Davidsons scripted speech he had to continue looking down to read? 
Do you truly believe that an incident involving a staff member would keep a player so far away from a team/players? 
how do you cross a line THAT bad that they do not want you near the team or in the organization? Without any legal lines being crossed.
This wreaks of personal barriers being broken inside the locker room amongst another player(s)

The fact nothing of criminal conduct was committed means even if he fucked an employee, that doesnt warrant any of the following actions. It would mean it was entirely consensual if it was sexual. if it wasnt consensual it would be sexual assault which would mean legal matters. If he beat someone up its assault OR no one gives a fuck becauses its a fight between 2 men. Beating someone up doesnt get you banned from a locker room. 
not only that but if Corey Perry is filing a grievance, he firmly believes he did nothing wrong and that there isnt a god damn thing Chicago could do about it because it likely involves someone outside the organizations payroll. 

George Laraque states he knows exactly what happened and cleared 1 name from the rumour, not every mother. If it didnt involve a mom, why werent they all cleared from the matter? Not just that, they will do anything to keep Bedard cleared of any and all rumours to avoid any chance of this affecting his career.

An alcohol fuelled incident… sounds like a night at the bar and some vows were broken.

Chicago has handled this soooo fucking poorly its not even funny. If this isnt a Kyle Beach type of incident, this should have been covered the fuck up. They just drew alllllll the attention on themselves for something that doesnt even warrant a pair of handcuffs and a night in the tank at the least.