Pettersson's worth and Kuzmenko lesson

43isprime

On 12/24/2023 at 11:44 PM, Malibu said:

I doubt any team would sign Petey for 11 millon, but if they did I would gladly take the 4 first round picks we would garner, and use the 11 million to sign a robust free agent or two.  I like Elias, his effort level is comparable or better than most, but his physical limitations are noticeable. If another team wants to sign him for over 8 million, I would still prefer the two first round picks and a second and a third. If he wants to sign with us for  8 million or less, I would be fine with keeping him.

This will be a big test for our new management afaic. Are they going to be Swedecentric and overpay, or are they going to try and build a champion and let him go? Just win baby.

At 12 million, I would say no to Petey.  I would take Elias Lindholm at 9 mil/year + 4 x 1st round picks in a heartbeat but now we're getting too carried away with projecting all the ducks in order. 

Petey at 8 million would be a bargain and Alvin would match before you can say Swedish Meatball. 

Absolutely no chance that Petey takes 8 million unless he's giving us a big hometown discount. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Rekker said:

Four magic beans for EP? Lol. That could be Jake, Juolevi, Gaunce and Shinkaruk. Canucks have been drafting for over 50 years and how many EP's have they drafted? And you want to let him go for picks because you think 11 per may be a touch much?!

12 million is the walkaway point for me. 

It would just set off a great cascading negative effect on the rest of the roster. 

JT Miller at 8, Quinn at 7.8, and Demko at 5 would feel like they're the better and more deserving players making much much less money. 

33 minutes ago, AatuD2 said:

It would just set off a great cascading negative effect on the rest of the roster. 

JT Miller at 8, Quinn at 7.8, and Demko at 5 would feel like they're the better and more deserving players making much much less money. 

Different contracts signed under a different cap at different times of careers. But ya, if the players truly want to win, they need to be somewhat reasonable. If it's only about the dollars, go be more rich playing for a loser team. 

Edited by Rekker
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

4 hours ago, Rekker said:

Four magic beans for EP? Lol. That could be Jake, Juolevi, Gaunce and Shinkaruk. Canucks have been drafting for over 50 years and how many EP's have they drafted? And you want to let him go for picks because you think 11 per may be a touch much?!

Four magic beans and a 11 million dollar free agent. Yes, I would not pay more than 8 for him, even though I do like him. I haven't seen him physically mature as I hoped and I don't like his skating. His brain, hands and even his effort are a 10 imo. Bottom line is I think he will be someone who is injury plagued, or at least not rugged enough to survive a cup run. If I'm wrong I will be thrilled because I'm sure he's going to be staying with us.

2 hours ago, AatuD2 said:

Absolutely no chance that Petey takes 8 million unless he's giving us a big hometown discount. 

Petey doesn't strike me as the person to give a massive hometown discount like that. In fact, he doesn't even strike me as the kind of guy to give a hometown discount to the Canucks I'd be surprised if he did. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Petey doesn't strike me as the person to give a massive hometown discount like that. In fact, he doesn't even strike me as the kind of guy to give a hometown discount to the Canucks I'd be surprised if he did. 

I don't think so either. 

I don't mind if he doesn't take a discount as long as it's a reasonable contract. Even 10.5 per year is okay, provided that he hits 95 points. No grudge towards Petey. 

If he starts holding out for 11+, it won't sit well. 

I can also see Canucks just throwing money at him and getting it done early for 11. My only gripe will be if he does another holdout and squeezes us until the end and it's a figure above 10.5. 

3 hours ago, AatuD2 said:

I don't think so either. 

I don't mind if he doesn't take a discount as long as it's a reasonable contract. Even 10.5 per year is okay, provided that he hits 95 points. No grudge towards Petey. 

If he starts holding out for 11+, it won't sit well. 

I can also see Canucks just throwing money at him and getting it done early for 11. My only gripe will be if he does another holdout and squeezes us until the end and it's a figure above 10.5. 

What a miserable relationship that would be, if Petey squeezes every penny from the Canucks. He's a very good player to be sure, but he's not McDavid, or Mckinnon level kind of players. Maybe a shade under them. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 12/25/2023 at 4:05 PM, canuck73 said:

Not every player produces every game... Some days it's a 5 point night, some nights nada... not every "human being" brings their A game in life every single day.

And ignoring the efforts of other teams attempting to stop our top players and placing the blame solely on our players is a disservice to the opposition.

And Pettersson's sitting 4th in league scoring for centers ahead of players like Mathews, Eichel etc guys who make 10+ million.

Add in Pettersson's 200ft game... he is going to get paid... and that doesn't account for the possibility of any hardware we get awarded this year.

I hope he doesn't win any hardware. A bunch of old farts voting on something doesn't make a person good at hockey, or better or worse than any other player. It's just senseless platitudes imo. I can't believe they pay $100,000 bonuses and such for winning these awards and playing in all star (joke) hockey games. Totally silly.

I wouldn't want to pay him more than $10 per season myself. A five year deal at $10-$11 per is fair.

30 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I hope he doesn't win any hardware. A bunch of old farts voting on something doesn't make a person good at hockey, or better or worse than any other player. It's just senseless platitudes imo. I can't believe they pay $100,000 bonuses and such for winning these awards and playing in all star (joke) hockey games. Totally silly.

I wouldn't want to pay him more than $10 per season myself. A five year deal at $10-$11 per is fair.

Has to be something Pettersson's camp is considering... The whole strategy seems to be betting on himself and maximizing his payday. All the power to him but does not bode well for the Canucks long term if one of it's star players is only concerned about maximizing earnings... Pettersson says he wants to play on a competitive team but seems to ring hollow if he is all about the money... Can't win consistently if a few star players demand all the cash.

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, canuck73 said:

Has to be something Pettersson's camp is considering... The whole strategy seems to be betting on himself and maximizing his payday. All the power to him but does not bode well for the Canucks long term if one of it's star players is only concerned about maximizing earnings... Pettersson says he wants to play on a competitive team but seems to ring hollow if he is all about the money... Can't win consistently if a few star players demand all the cash.

Yup, the way he's going he's just bringing down the dollars as he goes. It kind of sets up as a staring/grudge contest as to who blanks first. I'm hoping it doesn't come to that and he gets a nice little contract that makes everybody happy. I hear ya on how it seems to e looking but we really don't know any of the details. I have faith lol.

On 12/28/2023 at 3:30 AM, AatuD2 said:

Miller is below Petey so Petey at 12 and Miller at 8 is resonable due to age.

Quinn and Demko will get much more in their next contract so you can’t compare it now…

• Haha 1

On 12/30/2023 at 3:17 PM, LillStrimma said:

Miller is below Petey so Petey at 12 and Miller at 8 is resonable due to age.

Quinn and Demko will get much more in their next contract so you can’t compare it now…

Miller doesn’t look below Petey to me… And Miller is killing him in FO% too. If his ask is 12 I’d consider moving him at this point.

IMG_3294.png

IMG_3295.png

• Vintage 1

29 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Miller doesn’t look below Petey to me… And Miller is killing him in FO% too. If his ask is 12 I’d consider moving him at this point.

IMG_3294.png

IMG_3295.png

Change place wth Miller and Petey and you would understand what I’m talking about. 

37 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

I forgot it's never the swedes fault and goalposts shall be moved. 

Yeah, and you don’t grasp positions in hockey either or who player plays with.

What has that anything remote to do with swedes? 

48 minutes ago, LillStrimma said:

Yeah, and you don’t grasp positions in hockey either or who player plays with.

What has that anything remote to do with swedes? 

No I grasp it fine I just don't buy the excuses, both have quality line mates JT is just performing better overall this season.