[Trade] Canucks Trade Anthony Beauvillier to Blackhawks for 2024 5th round pick

Screw

1 hour ago, Bobby James said:

It was so weird seeing people outside of the Vancouver media/fanbase talk about Beau as a core piece of that trade with Horvat. I feel like everyone (who watches Van) knew he was the addition to make the cap work and that the 1st and Raty were the main pieces. 

Anyway all the best to him, he was solid in the bottom 6 (just not worth 4 million). 

Currently I'm also on the side of trade Kuz in the event he can land you a top 4 Dman to add to the group going forward. I think he'll find his scoring touch again, he's got sick hands and has a great personality. Unfortunately I think he's struggling the most to fit in with the new system and he has much more value then Garland still (despite Garland playing really well on line 3 now), so if he can bring us back something we need I think they should do it. It is easier to find wingers and there are some players internally who seem to be progressing well + Hoggy is looking awesome and needs more ice time. 

No one saw Beau as a core piece of anything here. That's some funny sports writing.

2 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

Didn’t realized we had a proctologist on these boards.

Nice to meet you doc 😄

i met someone once whose child was born with the condition. I always remembered it because it  seemed cruel how chance can be to someone.

coincidentally, the child grew up and never once formed an opinion on anything, ever. 

• Haha 2
  • Huggy Bear 2

3 hours ago, PistolPete13 said:

I still remember the days when we thought that Vlady Krutov was going to be real good. Unfortunately he out hot dogged Phil the Thrill. 

I remember watching that USSR team back in 88 in Calgary.

Makarov, Fetisov, Larionov, Krutov etc. that was a good hockey team.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

15 hours ago, spook007 said:

He said they got 3 first rounders 

Hronek is definitely a 1st rounder (if not 2)

Raty is = to a 1st rounder (although picked in the 2nd, everyone thought he would go in the first)

and Beau was picked in the 1st round....

And yes, we took him in the trade to make the cap work, but it's not as if he was chopped liver, when he turned up.

He scored at a good pace, when he was playing with Petey. Had he been traded away at that time, he would have brought a lot more than a 5th round pick back.  Once he got demoted to the bottom 6, his value fell as he didn't have particular bottom 6 skills.

During the summer, with the moves made, it was clear to everyone, that Canucks was going to be in cap trouble or close to the limit. Thus needing to move a player, so of course nobody wanted to to offer much if anything for Beau with his 4M cap hit, without getting a juicy sweetener back be it picks or prospects...  The fact he isn't much of a bottom 6 player doesn't help neither...

Had they waited until the TDL they likely would have gotten more for him (no, likely not a first), but this was not of the essence for the Canucks. Cap space is, so they can make moves be it for a bigger rugged winger (Tocchet forward) or a top 4 Dman, etc.....

Getting to offload 4M cap without having to pay anything, is like gold at this stage of the season...

As for where OJ and JV were picked, does that not make them 1st rounders?

There are 1st round picks that never play like 1st rounders, and there lower drafted players, that plays or have equal value to 1st round picks... 

You're saying that Raty has the value of a first round pick because everyone thought he would go there in 2021, despite actually getting selected in the second half of the second round (evidently not everyone considered him first round quality), while Beauvillier has the value of a first round pick because he was selected there 8 years ago. I'd have a tough time believing GMs value players this way lol.

For the record, Allvin's quote was: "“You know what? You can look at it that we actually got three first rounders back here."

22 hours ago, Bobby James said:

Out of curiosity what do you dislike Bear so much? We only had him last year and he was one of our better Dman on a atrocious blueline. I don't wanna give him a long expensive contract, but 1-2 million a year for a year or two seems pretty low risk/high reward. 

As for the trade -> Solid trade. Pick likely will be nothing and Beau is a solid player (even in the bottom 6), but the cap wins here. $4+ million freed up is great. Think they'll look for D.

However, in the chance they don't use up the cap space or say just use a little of it to sign Bear, I hope this management group looks at things like taking on an overpaid 1 year contract and a mid round draft pick. I think it'd be wise to continue to build out the future even if we're pushing for playoffs now. 

I just thought he was awful defensively last year. Did you see our defence last year? It was statistically one of the worst in history and he contributed quite a bit to that. He makes really boneheaded mistakes and can't play the body worth a damn. His small frame doesn't really fit what we need either in my opinion. He's not bad at moving the puck and skating but how much of that was due to playing with QH. I know I'm in the minority here though but I'm surprised at the number of people who actually thought he was good last year. I didn't see it.

I don't mind him trying to earn his way as a 6th/7th defenceman and making around a million so it can be buried but I just think he has a lot to prove to be included in a line-up that is winning hockey games.

Is he an upgrade on Friedman and Juulsen. Possibly but I'd like to see that put the test.

Edited by Gawdzukes

17 minutes ago, Falcons said:

Crouton. That chubster was a total bust 

IMG_1726.jpeg

I could be wrong but I believe his nickname was "Vlad the Inhaler".🤣  (rip Krutov.  It was more than case of him being past his prime.  He was literally a 'fish out of water'.  Got so used to the regimented lifestyle under the Soviet Union, he couldn't handle all the freedom.  Unlike Larionov, who was more "worldy" (think his wife was also a former Olympic athlete so she was used to different ways of life in other countries).  Smyl took it upon itself to try and get the two to 'fit in' but I think the club should've hired someone.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Tusk said:

As a lifelong canucks fan I would keep Brock over Petterson if we were trading for Jack and Luke Hughes for Petterson.

Interesting prospect... I wonder if they could make the $ add up cap wise... 

Wouldn't be much point if we can't afford them... but yes interesting.

1 hour ago, 43isprime said:

You're saying that Raty has the value of a first round pick because everyone thought he would go there in 2021, despite actually getting selected in the second half of the second round (evidently not everyone considered him first round quality), while Beauvillier has the value of a first round pick because he was selected there 8 years ago. I'd have a tough time believing GMs value players this way lol.

For the record, Allvin's quote was: "“You know what? You can look at it that we actually got three first rounders back here."

Doesn't matter what I say, its what Allvin said? 

But how else would you slice, what he said? Are you suggesting he lied to the fans?

I didn't say Beau had the 'value' of a first round pick. I said he IS a first round pick... Just like Juolevi and Virtanen were.... and Petey and Brock etc...

Raty has the value of a late fist round pick (or so management seems to think, and Hronek definitely have the value of a first round pick.