[Trade] Canucks Trade Anthony Beauvillier to Blackhawks for 2024 5th round pick

Screw

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

It's still almost a mathematical certainty that whoever is picked in that spot won't ever play an NHL game

On the balance of probabilities, yes, but the list I posted is a smattering of those that did and in that list are absolute gems. Without the pick you don't have the chance.

The real win here, as stated by others already, is getting positive value on a cap dump (a 5th round pick) that opened the possibility now of upgrading on Defense while having the "skill" potentially backfilled by low cost younger players already in the system ... hello Aman, hey their Podz how is your bucket doing, Klim, Raty, Bains, McDonough you guys awake and paying attention?

Also, I am certain (guess anyway) JR and PA sat down Beauvilier and said something like "we are comfortable in term between X and Y years with a salary range between A and B Mill per year. Come July 1st if you are looking for a job, come talk to us. In the meantime, PACK YOUR SHIT AND GET OUT! WE HAVE YOUR SALARY TO SPEND ON SOMEONE ELSE!"

Edited by Rocket-68
  • ThereItIs 1

Just now, Rocket-68 said:

On the balance of probabilities, yes, but the list I posted is a smattering of those that did and in that list are absolute gems. Without the pick you don't have the chance.

The real win here, as stated by others already, is getting positive value on a cap dump (a 5th round pick) that opened the possibility now of upgrading on Defense while having the "skill" potentially backfilled by low cost younger players already in the system ... hello Aman, hey their Podz how is your bucket doing, Klim, Raty, Bains, McDonough you guys awake and paying attention?

I have zero issues with the trade, at all.  The log jam at W needed to be fixed

• Like 2

I liked Beauvillier long before he arrived in Vancouver. Unfortunately he didn't do enough in Vancouver to earn a top six role, and that's probably where he should be to be at his offensive best. I hope he gets a chance to shine in Chicago; he seems like a really honest, straightforward guy. I heard Chicago is looking for good people.....

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

I don't think we did this move to add "depth". 

We don’t know that yet. But it’s obvious (as injuries have revealed) that our NHL level D depth is limited. I’d prefer a top 4, but if we pick up two legit 5-6 NHL Dmen with that cap space I’d have no issue with that either. 

2 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Bro you keep making all these posts about the salary cap and waivers. 

Clearly you are not knowledgeable on these topics and for a lot of other posters that might have limited knowledge like your self you are causing confusion for them..

Multiple posters have corrected your misinformation posts. Please try not to make so many posts on these issues as stating facts.  

Perhaps pist them as questions. Lots of guys on here know the details they'll answer your questions. 

Thanks. 

Thankfully no body listens to me anyway so no worries man. And you still wonder why Kuz benched two games. OK well I dont know shit.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Canuck You said:

Man , 5th is kinda low..dude is serviceable!

He was,  but 4.15m wasn't. we're lucky not to have to retain salary with where he was in the line up. If he playing like last year with Petey,  when he first came we would probably get a 3rd.

• Like 1

Just now, stawns said:

Yup. Beau was a useful player, but moving him out and clearing all his cap (and getting a pick back) is beyond fair. It’s a really fair trade for us. We have a guy like Aman (or even Bains or Podz) who can play that spot for a lot less on the cap. This is a very smart trade. IMHAO it’s fantastic we didn’t need to retain or add sugar to move off all of Beau’s cap. 

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Guys, we need a LHD right now, not a RHD. Friedman is literally playing the left side. Soucy is out until January. 

This is a legit playoff team and Allvin promised them a reward. Zadorov is obviously the reward. Whether you like him or not he is the perfect Soucy replacement. And when Soucy eventually comes back we will have great depth for a playoff run. Cole and Zadorov can both play the right side. 

With $4 million in cap space we can trade for Zadorov without having to send any cap back to Calgary. That is huge as they are also capped out. Toronto can’t do that. So we have the advantage. 

Hopefully, we can negotiate an extension with Milstein so we are not just getting a rental. 

Calgary is winning now. They will force us to overpay. Would you deal our 2024 1st+ for Zadorov ?

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

I think the Capspace will go to an “incoming” Dman, 

as far as Wingers goes ,  we have a few chomping at the bit,   It’s a great problem to have,  and inspiring for boys on the farm to see players getting the opportunity and experience to “show” this season.

1 minute ago, Tusk said:

Thankfully no body listens to me anyway so no worries man. And you still wonder why Kuz benched two games. OK well I dont know shit.

All good champ. 

I'm not wondering why Kuz was benched. I'm good on that. You might have me mistaken for someone else..

12 minutes ago, Rocket-68 said:

For those thinking 5th rounds picks are nothing, a bit of history ... yes you still have to make the pick

1. Minnesota Wild ... Kirill Kaprizov, 5th (135), 2015

2. Winnipeg Jets ... Connor Hellebuyck, 5th (130), 2012

3. Ottawa Senators ... Mark Stone, 6th (178), 2010

4. Carolina Hurricanes ... Frederik Andersen, 7th (187), 2010

5. San Jose Sharks ... Joe Pavelski, 7th (205), 2003

6. Dallas Stars ... Jamie Benn, 5th (129), 2007

7. Tampa Bay Lightning ... Ondrej Palat, 7th (208), 2011

8. Columbus Blue Jackets ... Cam Atkinson, 6th (157), 2008

9. Calgary Flames ... Andrew Mangiapane, 6th (166), 2015

10. Florida Panthers ... Mackenzie Weegar, 7th (206), 2013

11. Pittsburgh Penguins ... Jake Muzzin, 5th (141), 2007

12. New York Islanders ... Anders Lee, 6th (152), 2009

13. Montreal Canadiens ... Brendan Gallagher, 5th (147), 2010

14. Arizona Coyotes ... Conor Garland, 5th (123), 2015

15. Buffalo Sabres ... Victor Olofsson, 7th (181), 2014

16. Nashville Predators ... Patric Hornqvist, 7th (230), 2005

17. Philadelphia Flyers ... Patrick Maroon, 6th (161), 2007

18. Toronto Maple Leafs ... Anton Stralman, 7th (216), 2005

19. Detroit Red Wings ... Nick Jensen, 5th (150), 2009

20. Los Angeles Kings ... Matt Roy, 7th (194), 2015

21. Boston Bruins ... Nate Thompson, 6th (183), 2003

22. Colorado Avalanche ... Brad Richardson, 5th (163), 2003

23. New York Rangers ... Carl Hagelin, 6th (168), 2007

30. Vancouver Canucks ... Ben Hutton, 5th (147), 2012

... to name a few, there are a lot more 

31. Detroit Red Wings ... Henrik Zetterberg, 7th (210), 1999

I’m sure we can make a list of undrafted player just as distinguished as this.  Alex Burrows, Marty StLouis and Dan Boyle come to mind quickly and there are many more.  Does that means we need to start jumping on every un drafted player out there? 

win some lose some,but more often lose some.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tusk said:

I think with Kuz being sat ,   Is just as much about the injury and letting it heal without infection ( re: T Pearson “Hand”), as it is an opportunity for Kuz to watch and re-set.

sweaty , dirty , gear can be the worst.

Edited by SilentSam

Just now, Thundernuts said:

If you only look at the trade as it looks, Beau for a 5th, Chicago wins all day long. 

When you consider Cap implications, additional ice time for Hoglander and Podkolzin, and potential call ups for Bains etc, this trade makes sense. 

win win for both teams. 

Exactly. Most NHL trades now are fair for both clubs. Except for that Hronek steal by Allvin it’s hard to think of a trade that isn’t fair. 

• Jess changed the title to [Trade] Canucks Trade Anthony Beauvillier to Blackhawks for 2024 5th round pick
53 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Hronek, Ratu, 5th for Bo. Nice.

We got a 2023 4th along with Hronek in that trade too I believe.

36 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Yea exactly. It's really hard to pull off. Bear is fine at a good price.

I'm good with Bear. I'm guessing part of the motivation for the Beauvillier could be to sign Bear when he's ready.  But PA's not done yet.

33 minutes ago, Darius said:

one thing seems certain, Jimmy and Allvin arent afraid to make some trades, with more coming IMHO

As mentioned earlier; definitely not blockbusters, but sound decisions to shore up positional needs and create cap. Especially getting Beauvillier off the books. 

24 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

PA isn't done. 

More to come. 

For sure. Great how PA unloaded Beau without a sweetener. Dude surprises me with regards to his smart management moves and decisions. Most of which haven't damaged us much. Really the only decision of  mild questionability could be the OEL buyout. but that won't affect us for a couple of years.

It's evident that lots of talk involves a top 4 D acquisition. Needless to say Bear isn't it, but Bear would be a cheap, familiar get; Tanev though a familiar get, not so cheap. Maybe???????????!!?!?!!?!??!!??!!

Who knows what management is working on now. At least they have more cap to work with. It's not out of possibility that we'll lose another winger and/or prospect to acquire the top 4 D we so need.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Rocket-68 said:

For those thinking 5th rounds picks are nothing, a bit of history ... yes you still have to make the pick

1. Minnesota Wild ... Kirill Kaprizov, 5th (135), 2015

2. Winnipeg Jets ... Connor Hellebuyck, 5th (130), 2012

3. Ottawa Senators ... Mark Stone, 6th (178), 2010

4. Carolina Hurricanes ... Frederik Andersen, 7th (187), 2010

5. San Jose Sharks ... Joe Pavelski, 7th (205), 2003

6. Dallas Stars ... Jamie Benn, 5th (129), 2007

7. Tampa Bay Lightning ... Ondrej Palat, 7th (208), 2011

8. Columbus Blue Jackets ... Cam Atkinson, 6th (157), 2008

9. Calgary Flames ... Andrew Mangiapane, 6th (166), 2015

10. Florida Panthers ... Mackenzie Weegar, 7th (206), 2013

11. Pittsburgh Penguins ... Jake Muzzin, 5th (141), 2007

12. New York Islanders ... Anders Lee, 6th (152), 2009

13. Montreal Canadiens ... Brendan Gallagher, 5th (147), 2010

14. Arizona Coyotes ... Conor Garland, 5th (123), 2015

15. Buffalo Sabres ... Victor Olofsson, 7th (181), 2014

16. Nashville Predators ... Patric Hornqvist, 7th (230), 2005

17. Philadelphia Flyers ... Patrick Maroon, 6th (161), 2007

18. Toronto Maple Leafs ... Anton Stralman, 7th (216), 2005

19. Detroit Red Wings ... Nick Jensen, 5th (150), 2009

20. Los Angeles Kings ... Matt Roy, 7th (194), 2015

21. Boston Bruins ... Nate Thompson, 6th (183), 2003

22. Colorado Avalanche ... Brad Richardson, 5th (163), 2003

23. New York Rangers ... Carl Hagelin, 6th (168), 2007

30. Vancouver Canucks ... Ben Hutton, 5th (147), 2012

... to name a few, there are a lot more 

31. Detroit Red Wings ... Henrik Zetterberg, 7th (210), 1999

Just to be clear, you picked some exceptions from over more than twenty years… and your list literally included Ben Hutton.

That was over 2,000 picks from all those rounds, so your list is about 1.5% and the guys who didn’t make the list are 98.5%.

A 5th round pick isn’t nothing, but it has very little value because virtually none of them will ever play.