[Trade] Canucks Trade Anthony Beauvillier to Blackhawks for 2024 5th round pick

Screw

12 minutes ago, DeltaSwede said:

Unless there are a bunch of teams calling Bears agent, I don't see the Canucks signing him for anything over 1 mil for this year. 

Management have been really savvy. I expect this move to be followed up by one or two other moves to address D. 

Adding Bear won't get us over the top. Now that we have 5.7mil in cap space, I'd look for a bigger upgrade. May be trade a 1st for a real top 4D. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, spook007 said:

If that is the case, why the hell hasn't Blackhawks killed the rumours once and for all.... Its by far their prime asset... 

Just letting the kid and his family hang there to fend for themselves, doesn't make sense...

They have 

https://www.complex.com/sports/a/brad-callas/chicago-blackhawks-gm-shuts-down-rumors-corey-perry-cut

And while I don't like the Blackhawks much I agree with their GM when he stated 

" I do want to be very clear on this point "

" This does not involve any players or their families, and anything that suggests otherwise, or anyone that suggests otherwise is wildly inaccurate.

And frankly it's disgusting "

This is an 18 year old kid and his mum we are talking about.

Listening to Bullshitters talking bullshit on social media and peddling their bullshit for them.

Fucking disgraceful.

• Cheers 3
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, spook007 said:

Some folks are always looking for ways to criticise....

Do you want cap space or not? And where was Beau picked?

Beauvillier was picked in the first round, as were Virtanen and Juolevi. I don't understand the point you are making

Selling Beauvillier as a first round equivalent was dishonest. It's clear we took him in the trade only to make the cap space work. 

3 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Exactly.

Thats if he even fetches a 3rd. Could be more like a 4th if he doesn’t produce.

The fact that we actually gained a pick when no other teams have been able to move cap right now is a big win.

the amount of trades, effective change, and  cap our management teams been able to move in this flat cap environment during their high pressure tenure is going to be looked back at as insanely impressive 

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, Drakrami said:

Adding Bear won't get us over the top. Now that we have 5.7mil in cap space, I'd look for a bigger upgrade. May be trade a 1st for a real top 4D. 

I agree with you. I don't see Bear as anything other than a cheap depth option, all things considered. So that checks one box (depth), but it certainly doesn't check the top 4D box. 

If they do sign Bear, I expect them to pull off a more aggressive move like you are insinuating. I'm not entirely convinced it's ideal timing but only because I think this team will be much better positioned to contend next season. I see value in keeping the pick this year and picking a player that's closer to becoming a NHL contributor on an ELC than a 2025 pick. They have to find ways to maneuver the cap penalty from the OEL buyout. 

What I love about this trade is that it gives our management different options in finding a solution for the D. They've also shown that they are more than capable of making good moves. It depends on availability. I'm not for getting Zadorov for example. That feels like a luxury this team shouldn't afford themselves at this point. If they can find another long-term option like Hronek, then I'm all for it, whatever they decide to do.  

Another option is of course weaponizing the cap space and taking on someone else's excess. Maybe not the sexiest option, but could be a way to add without subtracting. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, 43isprime said:

Beauvillier was picked in the first round, as were Virtanen and Juolevi. I don't understand the point you are making

Selling Beauvillier as a first round equivalent was dishonest. It's clear we took him in the trade only to make the cap space work. 

Beau was clearly not a cap dump in the Horfat Wallet trade. Cap dumps take sugar to move out. Allvin actually got a pick in return. So you’re wrong. 

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, Sell.the.team said:

I'm really curious what his value at the deadline was last year after he was PPG for like the week or 2 we had him.

I guess maybe a 3rd or 4th ?

I am sure teams knew who he was before he was on his streak. Of course, on the flip side, some of us here were already thinking he was a top 6 forward or something 🤣

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 4petesake said:

Here’s this for you from today’s presser “did not involve any players or their families and anything that suggests otherwise or anyone that suggests otherwise is wildly inaccurate, and frankly it’s disgusting.”

Thanks amigo... this was, what I've been waiting for. Much appreciated.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Ilunga said:

They have 

https://www.complex.com/sports/a/brad-callas/chicago-blackhawks-gm-shuts-down-rumors-corey-perry-cut

And while I don't like the Blackhawks much I agree with their GM when he stated 

" I do want to be very clear on this point "

" This does not involve any players or their families, and anything that suggests otherwise, or anyone that suggests otherwise is wildly inaccurate.

And frankly it's disgusting "

This is an 18 year old kid and his mum we are talking about.

Listening to Bullshitters talking bullshit on social media and peddling their bullshit for them.

Fucking disgraceful.

Cheers amigo...

This is what I was waiting for... It made no sense, why the organisation wouldn't kill the rumours instantly. The boy is their prized asset, and even if he wasn't it should be stopped instantly...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 43isprime said:

He said they got 3 first rounders 

Hronek is definitely a 1st rounder (if not 2)

Raty is = to a 1st rounder (although picked in the 2nd, everyone thought he would go in the first)

and Beau was picked in the 1st round....

And yes, we took him in the trade to make the cap work, but it's not as if he was chopped liver, when he turned up.

He scored at a good pace, when he was playing with Petey. Had he been traded away at that time, he would have brought a lot more than a 5th round pick back.  Once he got demoted to the bottom 6, his value fell as he didn't have particular bottom 6 skills.

During the summer, with the moves made, it was clear to everyone, that Canucks was going to be in cap trouble or close to the limit. Thus needing to move a player, so of course nobody wanted to to offer much if anything for Beau with his 4M cap hit, without getting a juicy sweetener back be it picks or prospects...  The fact he isn't much of a bottom 6 player doesn't help neither...

Had they waited until the TDL they likely would have gotten more for him (no, likely not a first), but this was not of the essence for the Canucks. Cap space is, so they can make moves be it for a bigger rugged winger (Tocchet forward) or a top 4 Dman, etc.....

Getting to offload 4M cap without having to pay anything, is like gold at this stage of the season...

As for where OJ and JV were picked, does that not make them 1st rounders?

There are 1st round picks that never play like 1st rounders, and there lower drafted players, that plays or have equal value to 1st round picks... 

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, Darius said:

Been watching him closely this year, hes pretty solid and an intimidating force when hes one the ice.  I agree with you though, if they want to go down that path they better not overpay.  Calgary will be asking for a premium in light of the fact that they look more competitive right now and he would be going to a rival.

Maybe they can engineer a 3 way trade like the old days where a team from out east trades for him and then the Canucks get him from the middle man.

I've scoured the memory banks, and the biggest trade I can re-call, from an Alberta team, is Steve Staois to EDM.   Can't remember what we got back (a second?  third?  4th?), but it wasn't much, and wasn't that happy with the trade either - you could tell he had a lot of jam.   Think he actually was a Captain or co-Captain for them for awhile,  turned into a serviceable NHLer, and was a character guy.     The only advantage we have against other teams who are interested, is cap space.   Calgary wouldn't have to take a crappy player back, they could then weaponize that cap space themselves later. 

Edit:  Zadarov is plays 4-5th man minutes.    Not sure if he's the right guy, but he's big and he's a defensive defenseman.    For sure would be a good add.    Like a mild upgrade on Soucy maybe.   Like his size, and with the make-up of the team, he could be the UFA we can afford next season, but would try and work a trade and sign into it if he's indeed our target.    Not a fan of rentals at this stage.    The cost to acquire likely will be steep.    If we managed to do it, and keep our first, then expect one of our better prospects going the other way.  

Tanev also would be fine.    And won't cost as much. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

6 hours ago, spook007 said:

If that is the case, why the hell hasn't Blackhawks killed the rumours once and for all.... Its by far their prime asset... 

Just letting the kid and his family hang there to fend for themselves, doesn't make sense...

their gm tried to yesterday. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, tas said:

He didn’t do a good job of it though. If it was a criminal thing then the police would be involved. Perry will sue, like what Kane did after the Sharks terminated his contract, and then the story of what happened will be told in court. And if it’s as rumoured, Perry will win and the Hawks will have to pay up. 
(That Avs player had a hooker in his room that almost died and his contract wasn’t terminated.) 

The league manipulates the message to protect the brand. Perry will get his day in a civil case. And he can say what happened. 

Edited by Alflives
  • ThereItIs 2

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

He didn’t do a good job of it though. Perry will sue, like what Kane did after the Sharks terminated his contract, and then the story of what happened will be told in court. And if it’s as rumoured, Perry will win and the Hawks will have to pay up. 

it's not as rumoured, perry won't sue, and if it WAS as rumoured, that would be a legitimate material breach of contract and he wouldn't have a case. 

"The Club may also terminate this SPC upon written notice to the Player (but only after obtaining Waivers from all other Clubs) if the Player shall at any time:

a. Fail, refuse, or neglect to obey the Club’s rules governing training and conduct of Players, if such failure, refusal or neglect should constitute a material breach of this SPC. ..."

18 minutes ago, spook007 said:

He said they got 3 first rounders 

Hronek is definitely a 1st rounder (if not 2)

Raty is = to a 1st rounder (although picked in the 2nd, everyone thought he would go in the first)

and Beau was picked in the 1st round....

And yes, we took him in the trade to make the cap work, but it's not as if he was chopped liver, when he turned up.

He scored at a good pace, when he was playing with Petey. Had he been traded away at that time, he would have brought a lot more than a 5th round pick back.  Once he got demoted to the bottom 6, his value fell as he didn't have particular bottom 6 skills.

During the summer, with the moves made, it was clear to everyone, that Canucks was going to be in cap trouble or close to the limit. Thus needing to move a player, so of course nobody wanted to to offer much if anything for Beau with his 4M cap hit, without getting a juicy sweetener back be it picks or prospects...  The fact he isn't much of a bottom 6 player doesn't help neither...

Had they waited until the TDL they likely would have gotten more for him (no, likely not a first), but this was not of the essence for the Canucks. Cap space is, so they can make moves be it for a bigger rugged winger (Tocchet forward) or a top 4 Dman, etc.....

Getting to offload 4M cap without having to pay anything, is like gold at this stage of the season...

As for where OJ and JV were picked, does that not make them 1st rounders?

There are 1st round picks that never play like 1st rounders, and there lower drafted players, that plays or have equal value to 1st round picks... 

I'd add that Beau's scoring pace likely wouldn't be attractive at the TDL, even with 50% retention.   He's not the type of players teams are looking for then.    Coleman.  Jeannott.   

Look at what we got for Vanek, a legit player, with size, coming off a good season on a bad team.    And even Vanek was tough to trade.   Forum folks figured at least a first.   Think it was a 3rd.    Last year it was what we'd get for Schenn.   Figured we'd get a second, because of his low cap hit, a lot of teams seemed interested.    Also think the team might have taken a worse deal, to put him in a position to succeed.   A late first to a contender was floated.

Point is, for years we could or should have been sellers.   And nobody was very interested in our players (every year we heard JB was busy night and day working the phones .. reality is a bitch!).     Sellers are competing for the handful of good/serviceable players, that move around.    With Beau in the bottom six for the rest of the season until then, why would a club choose him?   Over others, you can get 10/10 players for free to fill that role, and find guys with more sandpaper.    CHI has a chance anyways, to play him in the top six, and if things work out, then sell him.   And get a better pick back.   Maybe not.    Our cap space gained, is the prize for sure.   Hope they spend it wisely.  

This actually worked out great for Beau too.   Right now his hockey future depends on him making the best of this opportunity. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, tas said:

it's not as rumoured, perry won't sue, and if it WAS as rumoured, that would be a legitimate material breach of contract and he wouldn't have a case. 

"The Club may also terminate this SPC upon written notice to the Player (but only after obtaining Waivers from all other Clubs) if the Player shall at any time:

a. Fail, refuse, or neglect to obey the Club’s rules governing training and conduct of Players, if such failure, refusal or neglect should constitute a material breach of this SPC. ..."

Kane went through this and won. Perry will sue and tell his side of the story in a civil court case. The Hawks can say whatever they want right now. It’s one sided. 

Just now, Alflives said:

Kane went through this and won. Perry will sue and tell his side of the story in a civil court case. The Hawks can say whatever they want right now. It’s one sided. 

kane's situation was different. so were alex galchenyuk's, jake dotchin's, mike richards's and anybody else who's ever had their deal terminated. 

I'll buy you a steak if he sues and a bottle of scotch if he wins. 

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Alflives said:

He didn’t do a good job of it though. If it was a criminal thing then the police would be involved. Perry will sue, like what Kane did after the Sharks terminated his contract, and then the story of what happened will be told in court. And if it’s as rumoured, Perry will win and the Hawks will have to pay up. 
(That Avs player had a hooker in his room that almost died and his contract wasn’t terminated.) 

The league manipulates the message to protect the brand. Perry will get his day in a civil case. And he can say what happened. 

Yes.  And if they don't do a better job of squashing this rumour, then he's got a defamation case as well.   Who knows what actually happened.   Maybe he just was too rough with Bedard off the ice.   Or maybe he hazed or organized a hazing.   Hard to know.   The only thing that's strange about this, is how Bedard's name came into this so quickly.    Eventually it likely comes out for sure.    

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Yes.  And if they don't do a better job of squashing this rumour, then he's got a defamation case as well.   Who knows what actually happened.   Maybe he just was too rough with Bedard off the ice.   Or maybe he hazed or organized a hazing.   Hard to know.   The only thing that's strange about this, is how Bedard's name came into this so quickly.    Eventually it likely comes out for sure.    

it's been stated unequivocally that not only were no players or their families involved, none of the other players even know what happened. what else do you expect them to say without revealing Perry's personal dirty laundry?

furthermore, defamation case? how? the Hawks aren't liable for what morons say on twitter. 

34 minutes ago, tas said:

17 minutes ago, IBatch said:

I'd add that Beau's scoring pace likely wouldn't be attractive at the TDL, even with 50% retention.   He's not the type of players teams are looking for then.    Coleman.  Jeannott.   

Look at what we got for Vanek, a legit player, with size, coming off a good season on a bad team.    And even Vanek was tough to trade.   Forum folks figured at least a first.   Think it was a 3rd.    Last year it was what we'd get for Schenn.   Figured we'd get a second, because of his low cap hit, a lot of teams seemed interested.    Also think the team might have taken a worse deal, to put him in a position to succeed.   A late first to a contender was floated.

Point is, for years we could or should have been sellers.   And nobody was very interested in our players (every year we heard JB was busy night and day working the phones .. reality is a bitch!).     Sellers are competing for the handful of good/serviceable players, that move around.    With Beau in the bottom six for the rest of the season until then, why would a club choose him?   Over others, you can get 10/10 players for free to fill that role, and find guys with more sandpaper.    CHI has a chance anyways, to play him in the top six, and if things work out, then sell him.   And get a better pick back.   Maybe not.    Our cap space gained, is the prize for sure.   Hope they spend it wisely.  

This actually worked out great for Beau too.   Right now his hockey future depends on him making the best of this opportunity. 

Absolutely correct...

If he had stayed on Peteys line, his scoring would likely have been a lot better though... 

If we had been in a worse position, play him with Petey or Miller to show case him... If he scores at a good pace (which would likely be the case), He could fetch a decent deal at or close to the TDL with retention. Play off teams often have room for a scoring forward due to injuries... But yes for us it was all about the cap, and PA is a clear winner here...

And yes, this is a golden opportunity for Beau as well. He may be playing in the top six, maybe even end up on a line with Bedard, and that should increase his value for his next contract. Atm he will find it hard to get offered a good value contract anywhere.

2 hours ago, iinatcc said:

I guess maybe a 3rd or 4th ?

I am sure teams knew who he was before he was on his streak. Of course, on the flip side, some of us here were already thinking he was a top 6 forward or something 🤣

Hey, a CHI 5th round pick is like a late 4th round pick

We didn't need Beau,

We need Cap Space!

$4M in Cap space is gold!