[Trade] Canucks Trade Anthony Beauvillier to Blackhawks for 2024 5th round pick

Screw

12 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

This should earn Allvin some respect, I don't think anyone saw a deal like this coming.

Ehhh, I dunno about that last part, the Canucks have been trying to move cap for a while and Beau made the most sense 

But some respect, sure, I figured we'd have to at least give up a later pick to move him 

10 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Yep. Correy Perry definitely left a hole that needs to be filled.

Perfect for us we can help fill that hole with Beau. 

Exactly, I'm sure Allvin was on the phones right when Chicago filed for his contract termination, if not before.

7 hours ago, Juice said:

He was making 2.2 last year?  Could do the same again pro rated with how many games remaining. Probably lands him 900k or so.

I don't think that is how it work. I could be wrong and those more knowledgeable than me can weigh in. I think the formula stretches the cap hit for the pro-rated portion over the entire season. So, if a player signed a 1-year contract for $1M per year halfway through the season, then the cap hit would be $2M. If contract was signed 1/4 way through the season then the cap hit would be $1.5M. This is to prevent a player signing at the very last moment for $2M when he really should have signed for $8M annually since he is that level of player - playoff shenanigans. 

In Bears case, the Canucks have played 23 games to I believe Bear's cap hit would be $3.058M assuming he signed a $2.2M annual contract.

For Kane, his cap hit should be $3.64M but the Blackhawks have oodles of cap space so not an issue for them. 

3 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Ehhh, I dunno about that last part, the Canucks have been trying to move cap for a while and Beau made the most sense 

But some respect, sure, I figured we'd have to at least give up a later pick to move him 

Really? I don't think anyone had us getting an asset back with no retention.

• Cheers 1

Don't want Bear to return, he didn't do enough when he was here before, and he was healthy then.

Canucks can do better, hoping they sign Kessel and trade for another D.

Kuzmenko+ to _____________ for _______________(D)

Mikheyev - Pettersson - Boeser

Hoglander - Miller - Kessel

Joshua - Suter - Garland

Di Giuseppe - Blueger - Lafferty

Aman - Studnicka

Hughes - Hronek

Cole - ___________

Soucy - Myers

Friedman

McWard

Just now, Bob Long said:

An asset back, no, but a Beau trade? Yeah. With no cap retained? Yeah.

His being a pending UFA makes taking on his entire cap hit more palatable for a bottom feeder, Beau to Chicago has def been mentioned here before.

8 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

This should earn Allvin some respect, I don't think anyone saw a deal like this coming.

I think respect is very understated here.

PA is JR's guy and JR has respect around the league and named PA as his successor. Another GM can try to fleece the Canucks knowing that we are trying to create capspace but they dont want to. They are ok paying a fair price in exchange for an amicable relationship. 

PA probably also jumped on an opportunity with the BH org dealing with another scandal.  Hopefully for them, Beau will distract the people from talking about Perry if they put him up with Bedard right away and Beau starts putting up points. They can try to flip him at the deadline for a 3rd or 4th

We get immediate cap space with zero cap retention and they get a distraction from the media and most likely recoup that 5th and has a chance to improve on that pick

28 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

Don't want Bear to return, he didn't do enough when he was here before, and he was healthy then.

Canucks can do better, hoping they sign Kessel and trade for another D.

Kuzmenko+ to _____________ for _______________(D)

Mikheyev - Pettersson - Boeser

Hoglander - Miller - Kessel

Joshua - Suter - Garland

Di Giuseppe - Blueger - Lafferty

Aman - Studnicka

Hughes - Hronek

Cole - ___________

Soucy - Myers

Friedman

McWard

I'm intrigued by Bear

We've seen flashes of amazing play and quick puck movement.

He is a good skater as well.

He played for a crap Oilers organization and a disorganized Canucks team and looked ok.

I wonder what he'll look like under RT

One of Bear's biggest criticisms about the team when he got here was that the team played with no struture. Nobody a=had any idea of where they were supposed to be on the ice which made it hard to move the puck quickly. He then compared it to the Canes and said everyone knew the system and it was much faster.

I believe RT and Brindamour are very similar in how they approach the game

SO then, that begs the question.... why did the Canes trade Bear?

Did he fail under the Canes system or was there a log jam? cap casualty?

How did he actually play on a team with good structure?

Here's the article

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/canucks-hockey/ethan-bear-details-the-lack-of-trust-and-accountability-for-early-season-canucks-6862291

“Honestly, I wouldn’t have known that if I didn’t play in Carolina, to be honest,” he said. “I could’ve played for the Anaheim Ducks, probably came here and wouldn’t have noticed a thing, but when you play for such a structured team that is so detail-oriented — there’s a plan on every single faceoff, there’s a plan on every single play when you’re on the ice — when you come from that and come to where we were at this year, it was just, like, ‘Oh my god. We’ve got to just survive.’”

Edited by CanucksJay
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I figured they'd move him closer to the deadline and get a 3rd-5th for him, but I figured it'd be to a playoff team looking to add some depth

• ThereItIs 2

13 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Yea, no. Allvin has managed to move 7 mil in cap only spending a 3rd to do it, and got DeSmith and a 5th back. No one had anything close to these kinds of moves in mind. 

Moving that much money this year without blowing a 1st is brilliant work.

Trader Jim gonna trader Jim.

Management has been opportunistic, if I remember correctly Montreal didn't want to lose a tender to waivers whereas Chicago isn't your typical bottom feeder. Bedard is getting McDavid treatment, they'll do whatever they can to try and make him happy while they're bad. Whereas Montreal took what they could get.

Beau shouldn't have ever cost a high pick to move, but there was the assumption it'd cost us, yes.

I've been of the opinion that it'd cost us, but there have absolutely been folks around here who still viewed Beau as being positive value.

Edited by Coconuts

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

Trader Jim gonna trader Jim.

Management has been opportunistic, if I remember correctly Montreal didn't want to lose a tender to waivers whereas Chicago isn't your typical bottom feeder. Bedard is getting McDavid treatment, they'll do whatever they can to try and make him happy while they're bad. Whereas Montreal took what they could get.

Beau shouldn't have ever cost a high pick to move, but there was the assumption it'd cost us, yes.

I've been of the opinion that it'd cost us, but there have absolutely been folks around here who still viewed Beau as being positive value.

I'm just impressed overall that they could move 7+ mil and it's basically net neutral.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Yep. Correy Perry definitely left a hole that needs to be filled.

Perfect for us we can help fill that hole with Beau. 

So many jokes, so little time and the mods would ban me before I clicked on "Submit Reply"

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I'm just impressed overall that they could move 7+ mil and it's basically net neutral.

this year........after this year, they start taking on significant dead cap and those two years of almost $5m in dead cap is going to sting.

• ThereItIs 1

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

The focus for the next trade should be a legit top 4 defenseman with size. And Bear, if he's willing to sign for a reasonable amount. 

I honestly think we could see Kuz moved for a top 4 rhd.  That's about the only asset they have that will have enough value to get one

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

It's a far cry from throwing in a 2nd just because, although I still don't like having paid to dump Dickinson but it is what it is

Let's be honest we needed to rid ourselves of Dickinson. Even him blossoming elsewhere just doesn't change the fact he was less than impressive in Vancouver...

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, DeltaSwede said:

I agree with you. I don't see Bear as anything other than a cheap depth option, all things considered. So that checks one box (depth), but it certainly doesn't check the top 4D box. 

If they do sign Bear, I expect them to pull off a more aggressive move like you are insinuating. I'm not entirely convinced it's ideal timing but only because I think this team will be much better positioned to contend next season. I see value in keeping the pick this year and picking a player that's closer to becoming a NHL contributor on an ELC than a 2025 pick. They have to find ways to maneuver the cap penalty from the OEL buyout. 

What I love about this trade is that it gives our management different options in finding a solution for the D. They've also shown that they are more than capable of making good moves. It depends on availability. I'm not for getting Zadorov for example. That feels like a luxury this team shouldn't afford themselves at this point. If they can find another long-term option like Hronek, then I'm all for it, whatever they decide to do.  

Another option is of course weaponizing the cap space and taking on someone else's excess. Maybe not the sexiest option, but could be a way to add without subtracting. 

It's clear the team wants to improve, but also balance with the cap to be able to re-sign our core players. We would need to move Myers to really be able to add Zadorov and pick up more depth like Bear, but none of that solves next year and us signing players under the cap.

If we do bring anyone in who's not a rental, which should be the aim while we're still building, then there has to be a culture in place where players understand that they are worth more because they're playing in a great system with other great players. Everyone is elevating each other, and one player going for a payday breaks the whole process. If you can't get everyone to buy in, you lose at least supporting pieces if not key pieces and the team suffers.

Even teams that do that well also have to be good at finding replacements as turnover happens. If it's in your top players, then it's very hard, but manageable for supporting players. That's not even looking at keeping the cupboards stocked, so this team still has work to do before we are a true contender, but it's looking bright at least.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Yea the dickie trade was not their best work.

I am starting to wonder if Garland can be moved without retaining now too.

I think that depends on what happens to the cap and how he performs over the remainder of the season, I could see him being more of a hockey trade

But straight up clearing his entire hit? That'd be a bit more surprising 

He brings positives but he's pricy for a third liner

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

Me too, but free stuff is free.

If he's kept close to 1 mil, then that doesn't prevent still going after a better long term solution.

True enough, I'm just not sold on him coming in cold

But he is a free 5-7D

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

this year........after this year, they start taking on significant dead cap and those two years of almost $5m in dead cap is going to sting.

On the bright side they have constructed a bottom 6 that is cheap. All around 1 mill ish. No longer are we paying 3+ mill for bottom 6 players.