[Trade] Canucks Trade Anthony Beauvillier to Blackhawks for 2024 5th round pick

Screw

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

this year........after this year, they start taking on significant dead cap and those two years of almost $5m in dead cap is going to sting.

Yep that was the decision they made. One of Lekkerimaki or Willander will have to make team, and one of Kuzy or Boeser needs to be moved.

Edited by Bob Long

Just now, spook007 said:

Let's be honest we needed to rid ourselves of Dickinson. Even him blossoming elsewhere just doesn't change the fact he was less than impressive in Vancouver...

They didn't have to back themselves in a cap corner with him by blowing their load on UFA's though. They could have given him at least another season.

They forced their own hand and it cost us a 2nd.

• Vintage 1

15 minutes ago, stawns said:

I figured they'd move him closer to the deadline and get a 3rd-5th for him, but I figured it'd be to a playoff team looking to add some depth

The fact they managed to do it this early and still get even a 5th to go, is nothing but brilliant...

They are definitely on the front foot now, should any good opportunities present itself...

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, stawns said:

I honestly think we could see Kuz moved for a top 4 rhd.  That's about the only asset they have that will have enough value to get one

Yeah, I think he still holds a lot of value. Who would slot into his spot on Pettersson's line? I'd like to see Hogander.

As far as a target, who do you think Alvin is looking at? Who would your ideal target be?

Just now, Bob Long said:

Yea the dickie trade was not their best work.

I am starting to wonder if Garland can be moved without retaining now too.

I dont think Garland needs retention

Why? Because we're not gonna trade him lol

This is the best 3rd line I've seen in a LOOONG time. Maybe for as long as I can remember

When Suter is back, goals will start pouring in again

Bleuger moves to 4th with Laff. Life's good guys

We are missing Bear and 1 more D

Imagine we also end up trading Myers and create another 6M capspace? Whats that? 10m+ in cap?

We then leverage a prospect and a pick for a bonafide top 4D like a Roman Josi? I'm saying a player of Josi calibre who is stuck on a team that should be rebuilding but still playing at a high level with a high cap hit. I dont see Nash trading their captain but he is Swedish and we love the Swedes.

Hogz Miller Boeser

Kuz Petey Mik

Garland Suter Joshua

Lafferty Bleuger PDG

Hughes Hronek

Josi Cole

Soucy Bear

Demko

Desmith

This would be the most balanced and deepest Canucks team I've seen

• Confused 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, CanucksJay said:

I dont think Garland needs retention

Why? Because we're not gonna trade him lol

This is the best 3rd line I've seen in a LOOONG time. Maybe for as long as I can remember

When Suter is back, goals will start pouring in again

Bleuger moves to 4th with Laff. Life's good guys

We are missing Bear and 1 more D

Imagine we also end up trading Myers and create another 6M capspace? Whats that? 10m+ in cap?

We then leverage a prospect and a pick for a bonafide top 4D like a Roman Josi? I'm saying a player of Josi calibre who is stuck on a team that should be rebuilding but still playing at a high level with a high cap hit. I dont see Nash trading their captain but he is Swedish and we love the Swedes.

Hogz Miller Boeser

Kuz Petey Mik

Garland Suter Joshua

Lafferty Bleuger PDG

Hughes Hronek

Josi Cole

Soucy Bear

Demko

Desmith

This would be the most balanced and deepest Canucks team I've seen

Man I'd we could get another zoo to take our 🦒 that would be great.

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

They didn't have to back themselves in a cap corner with him by blowing their load on UFA's though. They could have given him at least another season.

They forced their own hand and it cost us a 2nd.

Yep that's true... but they wanted changes, and they didn't want to stand pat. Glad they got Mika, and the OEL is going to sting, but if they think its the way forward, its the right thing to do (I think 🙂 )... So far I like the smell from the kitchen.

They have a little window here, and didn't want to waste any more of Peteys and QH contracts by running down other contracts while hoping for improvements... Thank god for that.

• Cheers 1

34 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

I'm intrigued by Bear

We've seen flashes of amazing play and quick puck movement.

He is a good skater as well.

He played for a crap Oilers organization and a disorganized Canucks team and looked ok.

I wonder what he'll look like under RT

One of Bear's biggest criticisms about the team when he got here was that the team played with no struture. Nobody a=had any idea of where they were supposed to be on the ice which made it hard to move the puck quickly. He then compared it to the Canes and said everyone knew the system and it was much faster.

I believe RT and Brindamour are very similar in how they approach the game

SO then, that begs the question.... why did the Canes trade Bear?

Did he fail under the Canes system or was there a log jam? cap casualty?

How did he actually play on a team with good structure?

Here's the article

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/canucks-hockey/ethan-bear-details-the-lack-of-trust-and-accountability-for-early-season-canucks-6862291

“Honestly, I wouldn’t have known that if I didn’t play in Carolina, to be honest,” he said. “I could’ve played for the Anaheim Ducks, probably came here and wouldn’t have noticed a thing, but when you play for such a structured team that is so detail-oriented — there’s a plan on every single faceoff, there’s a plan on every single play when you’re on the ice — when you come from that and come to where we were at this year, it was just, like, ‘Oh my god. We’ve got to just survive.’”

Bear did play 61 games for the Canucks, only a handful under Tocchet last season, and he did okay.

I think the Canes traded Bear because they were pretty loaded on D.

Cole and Bear played with the Canes in 2021/22. There is that I suppose. If they do bring Bear back to the team, I hope they don't overpay anyway. 

Edited by Nucker67
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Wouldn't be surprised if he was extended 

Myers at 6M is less than ideal, Myers at 2.5-3M as a 5 who can step up and play top 4 is pretty solid 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

16 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I'm just impressed overall that they could move 7+ mil and it's basically net neutral.

To me it has been utter brilliance, I have 100% trust in this front office, and it's been a LONG time since I could say those words.

13 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Yea the dickie trade was not their best work.

I am starting to wonder if Garland can be moved without retaining now too.

I've always thought the gnarly one could be, he brings more to the table than many think....while his low offensive totals don't entirely paint a proper picture, IMO he can be much better if utilized properly, and in the right fit...and I'm sure other teams see his value, despite his $4.95 price tag (which isn't horrible if he's given the right opportunity)

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

Just now, Coconuts said:

Makes a lot if sense, don't see us signing both him and Boeser in two year's time

It looks more and more like Myers, Kuz and Garland are the most likely to be moved at some point

Boeser has added many dimensions to his game.  His 2 way play has been fantastic this year.

He's been adding net front presence and rebounds the past couple of years and has gotten really good at it.  He looks more fit and is skating way better than previously. At this point, he is a keeper.

Kuz has skills and great edge control but his 2 way play and net front is not there.  We can hope he develops it or just choose to go with Boeser who has proven himself this year and trade Kuzy.

Myers is not worth the 6m cap hit.  In a perfect world, I would hope that something happens to him after Soucy comes back and he goes on LTIR until the playoffs and then comes back for Game 2. We resign him for 3m.

Garland may be making too much @ 5m on the 3rd line but there is cost certainty there and the line has looked fantastic. 

If anything, I'm nervous that Joshua is a UFA as he has developed into a really good player with good chemistry with Garland. I would make it a priority to re-sign Joshua because I have a feeling another team might offer 1.2 -1.5 for him based on his play this year

Anyone else thinking now that Beauvillier is with Chicago, that he'll start scoring and racking up points?

I get a similar sense from Kuzmenko. If the Canucks move on from him, I'm concerned he'll be let loose (like in 2022/23) on another team and be an offensive threat every game. Tocchet has Kuz playing under strict rules and it's affected his game (production). Kuz is likely overthinking everything these days, he's just not getting Tocchet's staples. 

7 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

Bear did play 61 games for the Canucks, only a handful under Tocchet last season, and he did okay.

I think the Canes traded Bear because they were pretty loaded on D.

Cole and Bear played with the Canes in 2021/22. There is that I suppose. If they do bring Bear back to the team, I hope they don't overpay anyway. 

Thanks

I want sure if Bear played under RT.

If Bear was moved because of a logjam on D, that's fine.  As long as he is capable of playing systems and reliable D. I just dont want a guy who couldnt figure out how to play a structured game and got moved out of Carolina

Ideally, he would be a good bottom 6 guy that makes Myers expendable and we upgrade on a top 4 D with Myer's capspace

4 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

It looks more and more like Myers, Kuz and Garland are the most likely to be moved at some point

Boeser has added many dimensions to his game.  His 2 way play has been fantastic this year.

He's been adding net front presence and rebounds the past couple of years and has gotten really good at it.  He looks more fit and is skating way better than previously. At this point, he is a keeper.

Kuz has skills and great edge control but his 2 way play and net front is not there.  We can hope he develops it or just choose to go with Boeser who has proven himself this year and trade Kuzy.

Myers is not worth the 6m cap hit.  In a perfect world, I would hope that something happens to him after Soucy comes back and he goes on LTIR until the playoffs and then comes back for Game 2. We resign him for 3m.

Garland may be making too much @ 5m on the 3rd line but there is cost certainty there and the line has looked fantastic. 

If anything, I'm nervous that Joshua is a UFA as he has developed into a really good player with good chemistry with Garland. I would make it a priority to re-sign Joshua because I have a feeling another team might offer 1.2 -1.5 for him based on his play this year

I'd keep Boeser, with Pettersson's big deal incoming moving Kuz would also shave some cap off our forward group. Ideally we find someone cheaper to slot into our top six, maybe Hoglander.

Reallocating Kuzmenko's cap to D seems like a fit to me. 

That leaves you with Pettersson, Miller, Mikheyev, and Boeser (extension) as your bigger hits up front. It also allows you to bump Garland up or find a better stylistic fit for the top 6.

I think Myers stays, he's a pending UFA and there's really no rush to move him imo. Bring in another top 4 and he's a 5 who can step up and play top 4 if injuries occur. Makes sense to keep him if the plan is to extend him too.

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

Anyone else thinking now that Beauvillier is with Chicago, that he'll start scoring and racking up points?

I get a similar sense from Kuzmenko. If the Canucks move on from him, I'm concerned he'll be let loose (like in 2022/23) on another team and be an offensive threat every game. Tocchet has Kuz playing under strict rules and it's affected his game (production). Kuz is likely overthinking everything these days, he's just not getting Tocchet's staples. 

He'll get a top 6 look, Chicago isn't a typical bottom feeder rn

They very much look like a team trying to insulate/keep Bedard happy while they're bad

6 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

He might, but then he will go 8 games with zero points.

Streaky scorers are streaky-location is unlikely to change that.

3 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I'd keep Boeser, with Pettersson's big deal incoming moving Kuz would also shave some cap off our forward group. Ideally we find someone cheaper to slot into our top six, maybe Hoglander.

That leaves you with Pettersson, Miller, Mikheyev, and Boeser (extension) as your bigger hits up front. It also allows you to bump Garland up or find a better stylistic fit for the top 6.

I think Myers stays, he's a pending UFA and there's really no rush to move him imo. Bring in another top 4 and he's a 5 who can step up and play top 4 if injuries occur. Makes sense to keep him if the plan is to extend him too.

I guess the question is Boeser is still under contract next season.  How much will he re-sign for? I feel like the dude owes us a big discount.  He was overpaid the last 4 years. This is the first year we feel great about his contract.

We will eventually have to upgrade on Mik in the top 6 to be a Stanley cup team.

Myers  re-signed at 2.5 - 3m is good but what about this year? The guy is making 6m.  Do we just ride with a D corps of

Hughes Hronek

Cole Bear

Myers Soucy?

not great but not bad.. Are we robbing ourselves of potentially makign it far this playoffs by keeping Myers? 

9 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

Hope so for Beau as he is a good guy, just on the wrong team...

We don't have room for him on our team... simples...

Just now, Rusty Shackleford said:

No thanks to trading Kuzmenko.  It's the same thought of moving Boeser before and now everyone's saying we need to re-sign Boes.

If we had traded Boeser we would be talking about a much different Canucks start to this season.

Absolutely, unless there is some crazy offer, which there won't be. Kuz is trying to adjust his game to fit Tocchet's style. He's a natural goal scorer so patience would be smart here.

• Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I like this idea as well. I really like Kuz but I don’t think he’s a fit for Toc. It really seems like they won’t get Kuz to fully play the way he wants so best not to diminish the value he has right now and trade him…as much as I hate to say it. I think it’s gotta be done. We are seeing his value tank even right now.

Part of me wonders (not trying to start a rumor, just my opinion) if Petey is getting tired of covering for Kuz and his defensive lapses…maybe that explains why his whole line 5 v 5 this year hasn’t looked great. If I were Petey I’d get tired of always worrying what Kuz will do next too. Being a center your kinda the safety blanket for your line…that would be exhausting physically and mentally.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Rusty Shackleford said:

No thanks to trading Kuzmenko.  It's the same thought of moving Boeser before and now everyone's saying we need to re-sign Boes.

If we had traded Boeser we would be talking about a much different Canucks start to this season.

I like Kuz but here's the comparison as is

Shot = Boeser

Edge Work = Kuz

Size = Boeser

Speed= Same

Boardwork = Boeser

2 Way Play= Boeser

Netfront Presence = Boeser

Now keep in mind, Boardwork and  2 way play were pretty same until this year when Boeser improved.

Kuz had the edge in speed until this year.

If you had to only keep one, Boeser is the better player currently

That being said, can Kuz improve and be better than Boeser in the deficient areas? Is it worth the gamble? I guess it all depends on what Kuz wants as his next contract vs what Boeser wants.  luckily they both expire after next season so my thought would be that we evaluate them near the end of next year. It's too early to trade either one.

If anything, I would want the Canucks to upgrade on D this year and go for it this year and next year because we'll probably start retooling after that

5 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

I guess the question is Boeser is still under contract next season.  How much will he re-sign for? I feel like the dude owes us a big discount.  He was overpaid the last 4 years. This is the first year we feel great about his contract.

We will eventually have to upgrade on Mik in the top 6 to be a Stanley cup team.

Myers  re-signed at 2.5 - 3m is good but what about this year? The guy is making 6m.  Do we just ride with a D corps of

Hughes Hronek

Cole Bear

Myers Soucy?

not great but not bad.. Are we robbing ourselves of potentially makign it far this playoffs by keeping Myers? 

I think we add, we have room to bring in a top 4D if we send cap out and don't sign Bear

But I'm also not of the opinion that we should somehow be all in this season

If we can find a way to simply add a top 4D and have them be part of a longer-term plan I'd be content with that as our last trade of the season

I'd just ride out the 6M tbh, depth on D is important and despite the flack he gets Myers has played top 4 for a loooong time, having him on the bottom pairing is depth

As for Boeser, hard to say, players are often paid on what they've done recently, but I do view him as more likely to give us a fair deal than Kuz or other UFA's because of his roots here

• Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

I like this idea as well. I really like Kuz but I don’t think he’s a fit for Toc. It really seems like they won’t get Kuz to fully play the way he wants so best not to diminish the value he has right now and trade him…as much as I hate to say it. I think it’s gotta be done. We are seeing his value tank even right now.

Part of me wonders (not trying to start a rumor, just my opinion) if Petey is getting tired of covering for Kuz and his defensive lapses…maybe that explains why his whole line 5 v 5 this year hasn’t looked great. If I were Petey I’d get tired of always worrying what Kuz will do next too. Being a center your kinda the safety blanket for your line…that would be exhausting physically and mentally.

Moving him also gives us an opportunity to slot someone else into that spot, Miller and Pettersson can drive their lines, we could look to add another element to our top 6

Don't have a whole lot of grit in our top 6 for example