[Trade] Canucks Trade Anthony Beauvillier to Blackhawks for 2024 5th round pick

Screw

26 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Someone in that vein, yeah, that'd be good

If the Coyotes are serious about not being a lousy team I'd be surprised if he were available though, his contract seems to be pretty good value for a franchise who'll probably still be more conservative financially 

The org can fill Kuz's spot internally, so any Kuz trade would, or should, be a dman coming back.

Philly?

CBJ?

Wash?

Car?

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

It's kinda hard not to overthink if you get benched every time you make a bad play.  Kuzmenko is a goal scorer, similar to Bure.  Bure didn't have to worry about defence, he rarely spent any time in the defensive zone.

If Tocchet wants to be a top coach in the NHL, then he also has to learn how to work with Kuzmenko to get the best out of him.  Not just say, hey I have these non negotiables, either you do them or your benched.  Coaches have to adapt to the players as well.  Kuzmenko isn't any better defensively right now than he was last year, plus his goal production has plummeted on top.  So, basically Tocchet has stripped him down to a 3rd or 4th liner.  What's the point of having him around if that is the case?

RT had Kuz playing with Petey last night. Kuz was in Gibsons grill when Petey scored so he did something right.

I am ok with RT holding everyone  to the same standards. I think Kuz just needs to understand he can still be creative and make things happen but be where you need to be to make that moment happen.

I think RT would have no problem for example if, Kuz knew he had to be on the half wall and so he was there, gets the puck and uses his creativity and skill to beat his guy 1v1 to open up the ice.  I dont think he's telling Kuz not to try and just chip it along the wall. I think RT just wants Kuz to know where all his safety valves are, where his support / back up is so that in the event he fails his 1v1, the team is still solid defensively. 

This sounds like a recipe for Podz to excel.  I'm sure he will be one of RT's favorites.

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Ballisticsports said:

Is that even worth polling?

Getting that in return for giving up  less than 2 months of owning Bo, while not becoming the highest bidder resigning him with 8 more years of high cap for keeping the team the same as always, We need to build a team here not be nostalgic 

I'd say the trade itself wan't great, but the subsequent moves made it a good trade 

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, stawns said:

The org can fill Kuz's spot internally, so any Kuz trade would, or should, be a dman coming back.

Philly?

CBJ?

Wash?

Car?

We could probably rent Walker out of Philly, or extend him. 2.6M cap hit also leaves space for another move.

Ristolainen could be a gamble. 

Columbus would probably be Peeke or Boquist imo. Maybe Bean.

Washington strikes me as a team trying to build their D, but maybe Edmundson could be available. 6'5", 225ish. 1.75M cap hit and a pending UFA. Probably wouldn't be cheap. But Washington does like their Russians and Kuz would probably waive to go there imo. Could be something around Kuzmenko for Edmundson+. 

Pesce or Skjei are the names that jump out from Carolina. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

It's kinda hard not to overthink if you get benched every time you make a bad play.  Kuzmenko is a goal scorer, similar to Bure.  Bure didn't have to worry about defence, he rarely spent any time in the defensive zone.

If Tocchet wants to be a top coach in the NHL, then he also has to learn how to work with Kuzmenko to get the best out of him.  Not just say, hey I have these non negotiables, either you do them or your benched.  Coaches have to adapt to the players as well.  Kuzmenko isn't any better defensively right now than he was last year, plus his goal production has plummeted on top.  So, basically Tocchet has stripped him down to a 3rd or 4th liner.  What's the point of having him around if that is the case?

I don't think RT just decides last minute to bench Kuz and that they have discussed this a lot in private beforehand

Also RT and his staff were all great players and understand and seen the type of player Kuz is and know what players think and what is best for the team

BB had a free wheeling  team (non playoff) and was frustrated with Kuz himself and said publicly that some days he is just not there

They signed Kuz and know his value and I trust doing all they can to get him to  play into the team game and not disrupt it or even trade him

Believe they are doing what is best for everyone, but ultimately the team is 1st

Edited by Ballisticsports
  • Cheers 3

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

We could probably rent Walker out of Philly, or extend him. 2.6M cap hit also leaves space for another move.

Ristolainen could be a gamble. 

Columbus would probably be Peeke or Boquist imo. Maybe Bean.

Washington strikes me as a team trying to build their D, but maybe Edmundson could be available. 

Pesce or Skjei are the names that jump out from Carolina. 

CBJ could be interesting, though I'm not sold on Peeke, they might be able to get Peeke+ a prospect.........could they steal Johnson out from under CBJ somehow?

In Philly, Sanheim maybe?  Philly would have to add there too, imo.

I agree about Washington, but Kuz would be a good fit there, I just don't see much on D I'd like to see come back.

Pesce or Skjej I'd be thrilled with I think, though BS is a LD........on condition of re-signing  of course.  At some point, Carolina has to make a big move or their window is going to close on them

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

CBJ could be interesting, though I'm not sold on Peeke, they might be able to get Peeke+ a prospect.........could they steal Johnson out from under CBJ somehow?

In Philly, Sanheim maybe?  Philly would have to add there too, imo.

I agree about Washington, but Kuz would be a good fit there, I just don't see much on D I'd like to see come back.

Pesce or Skjej I'd be thrilled with I think, though BS is a LD........on condition of re-signing  of course.  At some point, Carolina has to make a big move or their window is going to close on them

I think it'd have to be one of the three I mentioned+, I whether Kuz would waive for Columbus though, seems unlikely. 12-team NTC.

The other teams, I could see it. I'd be a bit surprised if Philly moved Sanheim, he's been good for them and they're in the mix for a playoff spot still. Walker seems like the D they probably move, maybe Risto. Walker is a pending UFA, makes sense that they'd look to get a return for him if they don't plan on extending him. 

There isn't much, Edmundson is the only guy I really see them maybe looking to move. 

Yeah, either Pesce or Skjei would be good adds. LD or RD doesn't matter so much to me, we have flex on our second pairing rn. Cole is unlikely to be a longer term fit. And yeah, Carolina needs to shit or get off the pot at some point. 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

So, has everyone here spent our newfound cap space yet???

🙂

I haven't yet! Let me get back to you in an hour 😁

But in all seriousness I think this is the first time this management group has had real cap flexibility so I'm very curious to see what we do with it. I wouldn't be surprised if they're now targeting a true top 4 defenseman rather than the depth options that have been tossed around since the start of the season. It's also possible they wait it out until the offseason and take advantage of someone at the draft.

Unless the Canucks have someone targeted, stick the extra moola in your pocket, maybe for the trade deadline for an acquisition, or may they think someone 

is good enough that is currently playing in Abbotsford.

I'd say we could use some more toughness but with Miller and Pettersson, the Jeckle and Hyde monster, maybe they don't. Scratch  that, we do need a sensible 

player that can clean house when it's necessary. Score too.

1 minute ago, Nucker67 said:

just a wild ass guess

to CAR - Kuzmenko ($5.5), Irwin and 4th

to VAN - Pesce ($4)

Sign Bear

When everyone is healthy:

Hughes - Hronek

Cole - Pesce

Soucy - Myers

Bear

That's a solid defense and would be one of the best in the West, if not the league. Who would go in Kuzmenko's spot?

2 hours ago, Attila Umbrus said:

I like this idea as well. I really like Kuz but I don’t think he’s a fit for Toc. It really seems like they won’t get Kuz to fully play the way he wants so best not to diminish the value he has right now and trade him…as much as I hate to say it. I think it’s gotta be done. We are seeing his value tank even right now.

Part of me wonders (not trying to start a rumor, just my opinion) if Petey is getting tired of covering for Kuz and his defensive lapses…maybe that explains why his whole line 5 v 5 this year hasn’t looked great. If I were Petey I’d get tired of always worrying what Kuz will do next too. Being a center your kinda the safety blanket for your line…that would be exhausting physically and mentally.

I disagree; the way he fully wants to play is to win one would think. Toc said last night that he wants Kuz to be super created and play his game below the hashes; all out offense. Where he wants him to improve is to not be haphazard with the puck out by the blue line or in the neutral zone. Those two schools of thought support one another; he's just got to rewire his mind to potentially forego offense in those zones to not create odd man rushes and breaks. It's not rocket science; any team other than the Oilers would demand the same thing.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

just a wild ass guess

to VAN - Pesce ($4)

Sign Bear

Hughes - Hronek

Cole - Pesce

Soucy - Myers

Bear

Carolina needs a goalie first, but if they can get that sorted I'd love this deal.

14 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

That's a solid defense and would be one of the best in the West, if not the league. Who would go in Kuzmenko's spot?

Garland. His speed and Mikheyev's speed would be pretty deadly on the forecheck. Garland is a good playmaker too. So now Petey isn't setting the table for two. Kuzy isn't the best passer around. And he isn't scoring. And he isn't forechecking. So really you could replace him with Studnicka and at worst nothing is changing with that line. Hell, still probably a net positive. At least Studs added physical presence to his game and would probably forecheck more. Lol.

• Vintage 1

43 minutes ago, Coryberg said:

We also gave a 2nd interview Hronek deal. We also traded away a worse 5th earlier this year for Lafferty so in essence....

Horvat (62p pace) and a 2nd for Hronek (82p pace) , Lafferty (36p pace), Ratu and a 4th

Grand slam!

FTFY

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

just a wild ass guess

to VAN - Pesce ($4)

Sign Bear

Hughes - Hronek

Cole - Pesce

Soucy - Myers

Bear

I'd think Kuz for Pesce, straight up, makes the most sense.  Kuz is, after all a 39 goal guy and though he hasn't lit the lamp much this year, he's shown he's capable.  Pesce is on an expiring contract, so it's a good deal for Carolina, imo.

Edited by stawns