[Trade] Canucks Trade Anthony Beauvillier to Blackhawks for 2024 5th round pick

Screw

3 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Towards the end Dhali says the Canucks first rounder isn't in play, they won't trade their first to acquire help on the back end.

So if the Canucks aren't prepared to give up high picks, and presumably top prospects, what are they supposed to be willing to give up? Seems to me that the obvious answer is roster players.

They say that.  But is it real?   Supposition.    You can bet that the first is in play with the right trade. 

Edited by IBatch

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

Towards the end Dhali says the Canucks first rounder isn't in play, they won't trade their first to acquire help on the back end.

So if the Canucks aren't prepared to give up high picks, and presumably top prospects, what are they supposed to be willing to give up? Seems to me that the obvious answer is roster players.

Just spitballin', if Kuz isn't showing Tocchet that he's going to play Canuck hockey, cough, cough! I think Boeser is doing what Kuz did last season, and that is score goals. Garland has shown he can play Tocchets' game, Hoglander can play both sides, AB has been moved, so there aren't many forward positions left to have room in the top 6. Can Kuz get the Canucks a top 4 defenseman? Maybe some team will bite in the East.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Johngould21 said:

Just spitballin', if Kuz isn't showing Tocchet that he's going to play Canuck hockey, cough, cough! I think Boeser is doing what Kuz did last season, and that is score goals. Garland has shown he can play Tocchets' game, Hoglander can play both sides, AB has been moved, so there aren't many forward positions left to have room in the top 6. Can Kuz get the Canucks a top 4 defenseman? Maybe some team will bite in the East.

We have cap now.Maybe we need team who need cap and have extra defensman.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Despite the Beauvillier trade, we're still deeper up front than on D. Kuzmenko makes by far the most sense as a guy who could actually return substantial value. I adore Kuzy, but strategically, getting an equivalent level top 4 D (ideally at least a #3 kind of guy) in exchange for him would balance out our roster masterfully.

• Thanks 1
  • ThereItIs 1

3 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Despite the Beauvillier trade, we're still deeper up front than on D. Kuzmenko makes by far the most sense as a guy who could actually return substantial value. I adore Kuzy, but strategically, getting an equivalent level top 4 D (ideally at least a #3 kind of guy) in exchange for him would balance out our roster masterfully.

Agree

• ThereItIs 1

37 minutes ago, AK-19 said:

I understand but when they were both on the team healthy, Chatfield was being played in the lineup over Bear. There was no cap implications when they were both on the roster to begin with and Chatfield was played over him. 

Hmmm that's a problem then... 

Carolina is a well coached team with good structure. If Chatfield was better than Bear, my guess is Bear's potential on a team with aspirations for a cup run is a depth d man... 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Diamonds said:

If I was management, who are apparently looking hard for a defenseman still, I would look at teams that are currently underperforming and might want to send some cap space before the deadline. The first two teams that jump out to me are Pittsburgh and Ottawa. For Pittsburgh I would probably look at Marcus Pettersson and for Ottawa I would look at Artem Zub. 

For Marcus Pettersson, and 2nd is probably enough to get it done.

For Artem Zub, Ottawa would probably want a defenseman in return. Maybe Myers at 50% retained + a 2nd works but might also have to throw in a prospect.

Zub would be ammmmaaaazing 😍 but I struggle to see why OTT would trade him?

32 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Any first? Or just the 24? I can see them offering up the 25 for the right player.

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Any first? Or just the 24? I can see them offering up the 25 for the right player.

Wasn't specified, but considering the Canucks have used their top pick to select players in back to back drafts one can tentatively assume that they're more inclined to use their first round picks than they are to trade them. 

34 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Really just because Ottawa is underperforming and might be looking to shake things up/clear cap space. They just acquired Chychrun and he's averaging 5min/game more than Zub so they aren't going to trade him, and Sanderson and Chabot are their two big money and big minute muncher defensemen so they aren't getting traded either. It leaves Zub as the odd one out with a contract large enough to give them more cap space or an interesting return.

8 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

Really just because Ottawa is underperforming and might be looking to shake things up/clear cap space. They just acquired Chychrun and he's averaging 5min/game more than Zub so they aren't going to trade him, and Sanderson and Chabot are their two big money and big minute muncher defensemen so they aren't getting traded either. It leaves Zub as the odd one out with a contract large enough to give them more cap space or an interesting return.

Well sign me the fuck up!

sign-me-up-conor-mcgregor.gif

• Haha 2
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Chon derry said:

He’s a serviceable reliable player who in a pinch can fill in a top roll. Albeit not sustained. 

This exactly. I don't think anyone is suggesting we should be spending all our new found Beau cap on him, or that he's the answers to our top 4 woes.

Solid, serviceable RHD depth that can fill in up the lineup and should be available for a ~$1.5m, prorated (probably around $1m) contract once healthy.

So many panties bunched over a layup.

Edited by aGENT
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/nhl/anthony-beauvillier-a-fine-trade-but-questionable-asset-management-by-the-canucks/ar-AA1kK5rt?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=2ece1e97693a4c18b13174e4faca18fd&ei=75

"

On Tuesday evening, the Vancouver Canucks traded Anthony Beauvillier to the Chicago Blackhawks for a conditional fifth round draft pick.

Rewind things a few months, and this would be looked at as a disappointing outcome. Go all the way back to when Beauvillier was the most visible component of the Bo Horvat trade and had notched 16 points in his first 18 games as a Canuck, and a return this low would have been downright unbelievable.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

lots more at link

1 hour ago, Chon derry said:

He’s a serviceable reliable player who in a pinch can fill in a top roll. Albeit not sustained. 

Even more, his cap hit (or at least his last contract with us) was sub-million.  You sign those guys all day/everyday (subject to your team's professional contract limit) to handle depth rolls, with not alot of term.  Worst case, you stick them on your farm (effectively hiding their entire cap hit).  IE., *NO* Tucker Poolman types, who while they might be a bit better than Bear, aren't remotely good enough to play top 4 minutes and obviously not worth a 2.5 million cap hit WITH term.

1 hour ago, CanucksJay said:

Hmmm that's a problem then... 

Carolina is a well coached team with good structure. If Chatfield was better than Bear, my guess is Bear's potential on a team with aspirations for a cup run is a depth d man... 

Chatfield and Bear are two completely different types of dmen, we actually need more of a Chatfield then a Bear. Exact reason why i think Bear is low on our radar at this point.

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, Gurn said:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/nhl/anthony-beauvillier-a-fine-trade-but-questionable-asset-management-by-the-canucks/ar-AA1kK5rt?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=2ece1e97693a4c18b13174e4faca18fd&ei=75

"

On Tuesday evening, the Vancouver Canucks traded Anthony Beauvillier to the Chicago Blackhawks for a conditional fifth round draft pick.

Rewind things a few months, and this would be looked at as a disappointing outcome. Go all the way back to when Beauvillier was the most visible component of the Bo Horvat trade and had notched 16 points in his first 18 games as a Canuck, and a return this low would have been downright unbelievable.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

lots more at link

I remember being run down because I said PA had to take AB as a cap dump.......that's exactly what it was.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 2

VANCOUVER CANUCKS

Logo of the Vancouver Canucks
PROJECTED CAP HIT Tooltip : $84,870,573
PROJECTED LTIR USED Tooltip : $1,370,573
PROJECTED CAP SPACE Tooltip : $0
CURRENT CAP SPACE Tooltip : $5,731,250
DEADLINE CAP SPACE Tooltip : $5,731,250
TODAY'S CAP HIT Tooltip : $84,265,417
ROSTER SIZE: 22/23
CONTRACTS: 45/50