[Trade] Canucks Trade Anthony Beauvillier to Blackhawks for 2024 5th round pick

Screw

17 minutes ago, tas said:

i have no issues with beauvillier or the trade whatsoever, but the fact remains that anthony was a warm body and a cash swap and allvin equating him to a 1st rounder was total spin. 

again, no complaints from me. 

as a stand alone deal, the Bo trade was not a good one.  It was the Hronek move after and that Raty is starting to really show well that made it good.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, tas said:

i have no issues with beauvillier or the trade whatsoever, but the fact remains that anthony was a warm body and a cash swap and allvin equating him to a 1st rounder was total spin. 

He was drafted 28th overall by the New York Islanders in the 1st round of the 2015 entry draft.

It seems our conversations have gone from dumb to dumber.

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

as a stand alone deal, the Bo trade was not a good one.  It was the Hronek move after and that Raty is starting to really show well that made it good.

I agree to an extent, but I would have been satisfied even if the canucks had drafted with that first or turned it into a different asset.  we overrated bo, and in the cash strapped environment currently, big trades are tough. 

4 minutes ago, Tusk said:

He was drafted 28th overall by the New York Islanders in the 1st round of the 2015 entry draft.

It seems our conversations have gone from dumb to dumber.

sure, and would referring to jake virtanen in the present tense as a top 10 pick be an accurate description of his value?

• Cheers 1

34 minutes ago, tas said:

It's funny that a anyone would want Allvin to say anything else.

As if he'd come out and say too bad about the boat anchor.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

16 minutes ago, stawns said:

I disagree myself

I think for only owning his rights for less than 2 months and getting the assets instead of nothing after 2 months when his contract was up was a great deal and what we parlayed it into was a great plan

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

The Hawks #5 will be equivalent to a low #4. Maybe a sweetener on another trade. 

It would be nice if they keep it and have 5 picks in the first 5 rounds. 

I think they are just going to sign Phil and Bear on one year deals. Free, no long term cap implications, ok depth.

Edited by Bob Long

20 minutes ago, stawns said:

Maybe.

For a rental (which Bo technically was before trading him ad him extending his contract), the team got a mid-range 1st and a top 50 prospect from a previous draft + whatever Beauvillier was supposed to be (piece to help now, something to trade down the line, doesn't really matter).

Wasn't exceptional but basically closer to the higher end of the going rate for rentals.

28 minutes ago, stawns said:

It's clear that Allvin had a deal worked out for Hronek before Bo was moved. Not sure you can critique it as separate segments. Allvin actually had a plan.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Since we're talking Bo trade, I think it's important to remember it was actually two trades that got us Hronek and that each trade also has to be assessed independently.

Bo for Raty, a 1st, and a cap dump was a solid but unspectacular return imo. Beau was always a cap piece that made the trade work, but I recall folks wanting to paint him as positive value when really he was just a streaky middle six tweener. 

I wasn't keen on the Hronek trade at the time but it's worked out, in retrospect it looks pretty good right now. But I recall Wings fans being pretty happy with it at the time, so more than likely the deal was simply fair.

Overall, yeah, it's worked out. Credit to management for turning a good but unspectacular trade into what's turned out to be a valuable addition to the blue line.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Since we're talking Bo trade, I think it's important to remember it was actually two trades that got us Hronek and that each trade also has to be assessed independently.

Bo for Raty, a 1st, and a cap dump was a solid but unspectacular return imo. Beau was always a cap piece that made the trade work, but I recall folks wanting to paint him as positive value when really he was just a streaky middle six tweener. 

I wasn't keen on the Hronek trade at the time but it's worked out, in retrospect it looks pretty good right now. But I recall Wings fans being pretty happy with it at the time, so more than likely the deal was simply fair.

Overall, yeah, it's worked out. Credit to management for turning a good but unspectacular trade into what's turned out to be a valuable addition to the blue line.

But if Allvin and Stevie had the Hronek deal worked out ahead of time, it's a nice bit of proactive gm'ing.

Just now, Bob Long said:

But if Allvin and Stevie had the Hronek deal worked out ahead of time, it's a nice bit of proactive gm'ing.

Certainly, the end result is the end result but it was still two separate deals. I was underwhelmed by the Horvat return, but I'm also not as high on Raty as some others, and wasn't at the time.

Wasn't bad value but I had expected more. I wanted to keep the 1st and 2nd we traded, but I was also firmly on team tank.

Sometimes things just work out, I'm glad they did.

7 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Which makes me wonder if PA has something in the works for the proceeds from the Beau trade. He has + $4 mil to work with and a need for another RD. That said maybe another LD who can play both sides. 

Certainly, the end result is the end result but it was still two separate deals. I was underwhelmed by the Horvat return, but I'm also not as high on Raty as some others, and wasn't at the time.

Wasn't bad value but I had expected more. I wanted to keep the 1st and 2nd we traded, but I was also firmly on team tank.

Sometimes things just work out, I'm glad they did.

The key to the Horvat return was the outside possibility that the 1st could end up a lottery pick in 2024. That juiced the value of it a lot, and was probably why Yzerman pulled the trigger to acquire it.

Now that we know it was just 17th overall, it’s easy to look back and say it was underwhelming for us and then Detroit. But that wasn’t the case at the time.

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Which makes me wonder if PA has something in the works for the proceeds from the Beau trade. He has + $4 mil to work with and a need for another RD. That said maybe another LD who can play both sides. 

With Cole only being signed for the rest of the season I'm not convinced LD VS RD matters, if they can land an LD they like I think they'll do it 

Can always find an RD later

Cole has been very solid but that doesn't guarantee that we extend him

That entire second pairing should be considered to be in flux imo

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Coconuts said:

With Cole only being signed for the rest of the season I'm not convinced LD VS RD matters, if they can land an LD they like I think they'll do it 

Flyers reached the Stanley Cup Finals with *SIX* left side defenseman.

ok, one of them was Chris Pronger in his prime.🥸

• ThereItIs 1

3 minutes ago, D-Money said:

The key to the Horvat return was the outside possibility that the 1st could end up a lottery pick in 2024. That juiced the value of it a lot, and was probably why Yzerman pulled the trigger to acquire it.

Now that we know it was just 17th overall, it’s easy to look back and say it was underwhelming for us and then Detroit. But that wasn’t the case at the time.

Absolutely, context matters

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

That entire second pairing should be considered to be in flux imo

I wish more coaches would just kind of toss the left side/right side thing away, for both D and W.  Very few players at that level can't make the adjustment and for many (like myself) the offhand side works better

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

I wish more coaches would just kind of toss the left side/right side thing away, for both D and W.  Very few players at that level can't make the adjustment and for many (like myself) the offhand side works better

Being open to either also opens up trade and UFA options, being set on a top 4RD restricts options quite a bit and it's not as if they can't see what's available in July

• Vintage 1

So, this pick (5th) replaces the 5th they lost in the Lafferty trade?

The extra cap space is the big deal here for the Canucks. I'm excited to think what player(s) they plan on bringing in. So far, JR/PA have done really well with bringing in the right players. Beauvillier's time here wasn't for long anyway, he was an extra piece in the Horvat return.

I thought the Canucks might do something silly, like make another trade with CHI for Seth Jones, but Jones makes $9.5 for the next 6 seasons. That's way too much. 

So curious what they'll do.

19 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Being open to either also opens up trade and UFA options, being set on a top 4RD restricts options quite a bit and it's not as if they can't see what's available in July

It can be easier for some than others, but it allows coaches to make lineswith chemistry rather than position.  And, in my experience, it doesn't really make a huge difference on the ice.

16 hours ago, stawns said:

I remember being run down because I said PA had to take AB as a cap dump.......that's exactly what it was.

Roster player back, it's what we got.   He's been paid to score 20/20 and play responsibly while at it.   Turned out fine for all clubs really.