[Trade] Canucks Trade Anthony Beauvillier to Blackhawks for 2024 5th round pick

Screw

54 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Since we're talking Bo trade, I think it's important to remember it was actually two trades that got us Hronek and that each trade also has to be assessed independently.

Bo for Raty, a 1st, and a cap dump was a solid but unspectacular return imo. Beau was always a cap piece that made the trade work, but I recall folks wanting to paint him as positive value when really he was just a streaky middle six tweener. 

I wasn't keen on the Hronek trade at the time but it's worked out, in retrospect it looks pretty good right now. But I recall Wings fans being pretty happy with it at the time, so more than likely the deal was simply fair.

Overall, yeah, it's worked out. Credit to management for turning a good but unspectacular trade into what's turned out to be a valuable addition to the blue line.

Hronek trade would look better for Detroit if they'd taken something useful instead of wasting the pick.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

With Cole only being signed for the rest of the season I'm not convinced LD VS RD matters, if they can land an LD they like I think they'll do it 

Can always find an RD later

Cole has been very solid but that doesn't guarantee that we extend him

That entire second pairing should be considered to be in flux imo

It's certainly possible. I mean I'd love if we targeted and got a Zub/Larsson/Pesce/Andersson etc... but if "all" we get is a Zadorov or similar...that's ok too. Then try to land a Pesce/Tanev/Hakanpaa/Lyubushkin etc in the summer as a UFA, and/or see if any teams have trouble giving raises to pending RFA's (Schnedier on NYR's?) AKA: how we got Hronek.

39 minutes ago, stawns said:

I'm not sure what's wrong with Liljegren, he's developed himself into a pretty decent two way defenseman

I remember people saying that one of the downsides to his game was his hockey IQ. seems decent, though. 

40 minutes ago, aGENT said:

It's certainly possible. I mean I'd love if we targeted and got a Zub/Larsson/Pesce/Andersson etc... but if "all" we get is a Zadorov or similar...that's ok too. Then try to land a Pesce/Tanev/Hakanpaa/Lyubushkin etc in the summer as a UFA, and/or see if any teams have trouble giving raises to pending RFA's (Schnedier on NYR's?) AKA: how we got Hronek.

Pesce is going to cost too much, how are we going to fit a player like him under the cap, while signing the players we need to still on our roster who will be UFA's at the end of the year? 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Aye, there's a need but at the same time we're not likely to complete our D in-season, more than likely we'll see offseason additions

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, N4ZZY said:

Pesce is going to cost too much, how are we going to fit a player like him under the cap, while signing the players we need to still on our roster who will be UFA's at the end of the year? 

I don't think Pesce's going to get more than $5.5-$6 +/-. We can afford that, and raises, with Beau gone, Cole & Myers expiring, plus whatever the cap goes up. Still need to move Garland out to shore up the left side (or bring Cole back) then though.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

2 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

32 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I don't think Pesce's going to get more than $5.5-$6 +/-. We can afford that, and raises, with Beau gone, Cole & Myers expiring, plus whatever the cap goes up. Still need to move Garland out to shore up the left side (or bring Cole back) then though.

Yeah I think they'll be active again in FA next season to build on this one, but they'll need to square away a couple things before to have an idea about how much free cap they have to work. Petey and Hronek need to be re-signed. Once that is done I feel like management (and the fanbase) can really start pushing names forward for who we can afford to target. 

1 minute ago, Bobby James said:

Yeah I think they'll be active again in FA next season to build on this one, but they'll need to square away a couple things before to have an idea about how much free cap they have to work. Petey and Hronek need to be re-signed. Once that is done I feel like management (and the fanbase) can really start pushing names forward for who we can afford to target. 

and next year is a $2m dead cap hit for OEL and then 2 years of almost $5m, then 4 more years of $2m, so that all has to be factored in as well

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Diamonds said:

@Sabrefan1 what are your thoughts on the availability of Jokiharju? Does the Clifton addition make him available and, if so, do you think he's regressed this year or is the reduced minutes just because of Clifton?

To be honest, even though he is on a cheap contract, I'm a little surprised that he's still a Sabre.  There was talk through most of the off-season that he was on his way out.  The Clifton signing made that talk louder because he only made 700k more than Jokiharju.

My guess is that the Sabres are keeping him around until the trade deadline where they will try and sell him off to the highest/any bidder as a rental. 

Honestly, I think he's a guy who has a chance to succeed on a better team.  The Sabres are still a young team that's finding their way with a bunch of green around the gills youngin's.

Don't forget, Jokiharju is still a young guy who is still a couple of years away from his prime.  That said, I think his development was hurt by Ralph Krueger.  He was a god awful coach.

If I had to guess though, my guess would be that he's going to turn into one of those players that makes a comfortable living doing just well enough to be a lower tiered 5-6 D-man.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, stawns said:

I'm not sure what's wrong with Liljegren, he's developed himself into a pretty decent two way defenseman

Drafted #17 over all in 2017

has played 151 NHL games with 11 goals 32 assists for 43 points, his +/- stats look good.

Has played more games than 2 players drafted above him and with in 10 games of 3 others.

A lot of us base our rating of players on what the hype/expectation  was, and not what the player actually becomes.

• Vintage 1

On 11/28/2023 at 5:52 PM, DeNiro said:

We have to do more than Bear with this space.

Bear is an upgrade over Friedman but we still need to address the top 4.

Bear more than likely would be that 4/5 option for the coaching staff. In essence bumping the Friedman's and Juulsen's to the press box type of scenario. But based off of how the team has been operating I suspect they have leverage or space now to beter position themselves for a " hockey trade " upgrade on defense rather than a rental type.

One defenseman whom has been flying under the radar in my eyes over this season and has had some injury trouble in past that may have steered eyes away from him is Henri Jokiharju out of Buffalo. Reliable top four righty, he skates very well, moves the puck extremely well, has awesome positioning and though smaller is very physical. He would be a good player to invest in if the deal made sense. Plus a nickname like " the joker "!

5 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

To be honest, even though he is on a cheap contract, I'm a little surprised that he's still a Sabre.  There was talk through most of the off-season that he was on his way out.  The Clifton signing made that talk louder because he only made 700k more than Jokiharju.

My guess is that the Sabres are keeping him around until the trade deadline where they will try and sell him off to the highest/any bidder as a rental. 

Honestly, I think he's a guy who has a chance to succeed on a better team.  The Sabres are still a young team that's finding their way with a bunch of green around the gills youngin's.

Don't forget, Jokiharju is still a young guy who is still a couple of years away from his prime.  That said, I think his development was hurt by Ralph Krueger.  He was a god awful coach.

If I had to guess though, my guess would be that he's going to turn into one of those players that makes a comfortable living doing just well enough to be a lower tiered 5-6 D-man.

Ha, I guess I should read more of the thread before replying, didn't realize Jokiharju was already mentioned. My bad.

• Cheers 1