[GDT] Vancouver Canucks vs Las Vegas Pawns, Da Garage (better name), Nov 30, 7PM PST - The Put the Boots to 'em for Top Spot Game

Rocket-68

Hello Cap Space My Old Friend, Very Nice to See You Again!  

91 members have voted

1. 1. What should JR / PA do with $5.7M Cap Space (Multiple Selections Allowed)

• Throw a giant party for all fans at today's game after a 5-1 beat down of the Nighty-Nights - FREE BOOZE!!!
    • Pay to jettison the Chaos Giraffe into the Sun?
    • Nothing! Cap space will be gold at the TDL
    • Nothing Squared! Keep the space for the off season.
    • What the hell is wrong with you, splurge on a top-4 D and pry NZ out from Calgary
    • Sign Flying Phil for $1M plus a signing bonus of a year's supply of weiners
    • Fil the Thrill for a Mil plus Zadarov plus package Myers with a late rounder for the vaunted Future Considerations (damn good player he is)
    • ... dear author, whatever you are smoking, package it up ... none of the above, see my comment below.
  2. 2. Now that Zad is a 'Nuck, what do you think of the trade and management (multiple selections allowed)

• I had to clean my shorts partway through reading the news of Z ... and in a good way!
    • Milstein for GM of the YEAR!
    • Rutherford and Allvin beat the Benning & Co like a wide-eyed kid hitting a low-hanging pinata
    • Conroy must secretly have hired Benning as an advisor
    • Are you kidding!!!!! We have Z and cap space for the TDL ... or Fil the Thrill
    • I was so happy, I slapped the dentures right out of my sweet grannies face as she was serving goulash for dinner

2 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

I think the whole thing with the Oilers many #1 draft picks a bit corrupt too but i am not going to overlook the fact that we are in a Cap Salary world and Vegas has 1 guy that makes 10 million and the rest make below that. However they received their players, they don't have a McDavid or a Matthews or a Crosby on their team. Just a bunch of hard working guys who play like a team. We should be so lucky to have a team like that IMO.

I think the greatest advantage Vegas received was that they got months to plan the cap implications that their picks would have, and leveraged a lot of their power in order to acquire tons of draft capital to help teams out in the short term. It's brilliant GMing by McPhee, no doubt, but the system stinks. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

Vegas was absolutely gifted everything. They were gifted a top 3 pick 2 years in a row. They were gifted the ability to draft from every team in the league. They were gifted the ability to assess each players talent at an NHL level before deciding who to take. They were gifted the ability to know players salary and make educated financial decisions to maximize cap flexibility.

From there they were able to move players for more picks etc.

Imagine if there were 100 players to choose from to make a team and those players names go into a bag and choose 23 players from the bag. You'll get a completely random mixed team. What Vegas got was the list of players and got to choose the 23 they want, without having to pick from a bag.

That's true.  Also paid a hefty fee for that right.    That misfit team, is not at all the same one they have today (albiet all their teams have been very good, even the one that missed they missed the playoffs, it would be like if we never had JT, EP, QHs and Demko half the year .., wouldn't do so great would we?).    Personally over it, in large part because a lot of their roster players,  i'd be happy to have on our team.   One thing that does erk me, is they have no state taxes, and have the luxury of making low cap deals.    AP didn't leave money on the table.   Even with that extra year.    That's the league we are in though.    We'd likely be paying 15% more, for the same exact roster here. 

5 hours ago, PeteyBoeser said:

Unfortunately it’s these type of games where we have a chance at getting a division lead that we lose badly. 

What terrible person crushed your spirit in life or did you sulk out of the womb devoid of hope and joy?

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

I think the greatest advantage Vegas received was that they got months to plan the cap implications that their picks would have, and leveraged a lot of their power in order to acquire tons of draft capital to help teams out in the short term. It's brilliant GMing by McPhee, no doubt, but the system stinks. 

I don't think the system is perfect either but there is a lot of work and planning that goes into it and that's why I don't think they were "gifted" anything but were given an advantage over other expansion teams for sure.

4 hours ago, -dlc- said:

Remember who you're dealing with Vegas Golden Helmets

407120225_10160660330700549_729884693977

I think a 4 - 2 win for the Nucks but am not worried no matter how it comes out Deb. It is like Miller said the other day, a long season with ups and downs. I hang my head in shame as I wanted Miller moved last spring. I'll never live that down. I think the big picture here is how RT is morphing this team's game. You see almost everytime out. I watch other games without the Nucks in them and shake my head as I don't see the puck support, the forecheck or the back pressure we see from the Canucks almost on a nightly basis. Canucks have the weapons to win this game. Enough said. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Googlie said:

They paid $500 million for their "gift"   Some gift!

They also completely funded their arena & didn't rely on public money like the Raiders and soon the be A's for their arenas/stadium.  Two other pro teams that make ALOT more money for their owners than the Knights.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, EdgarM said:

I don't think the system is perfect either but there is a lot of work and planning that goes into it and that's why I don't think they were "gifted" anything but were given an advantage over other expansion teams for sure.

They (McPhee) were able to exploit the weaknesses in the other NHL GMs.  Blame the stupidity of those other GMd and not the rules they merely followed.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

After some soul searching, if they were instead in the East, it wouldn't bug me that much.   It does sting, given we had to pay our dues, and are still paying them.   As far as roster build up goes ... Almost entirely Canadian.   With a couple US players.    Hard not to respect what they did with all that capital.   For sure between them, and St. Louis, it's good for the hope section of the sport, where most fans have to live.    Vegas wasn't built for the regular season, and that they have my respect for.   And turns out, trading for Eichel and losing some pretty good players (Tuch) was what they needed after all.    They are still a big team.   And their depth is nuts.   Was 100% rooting for Dallas, and that was the best series last year.   Razor thin, if anything Dallas had the edge in play, at least looked to have the edge anyways.    Sure hope we can have a good old fashioned rivalry with them.    Takes great teams going at that, for it to happen. 

26 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

It didn't help a lot of GM's panicked and offered picks in exchange to pick certain players.

As you can see the GM's learned by the time Seattle entered the League.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

It didn't help a lot of GM's panicked and offered picks in exchange to pick certain players.

As you can see the GM's learned by the time Seattle entered the League.

The cap wasn't just implemented to keep salaries from going too high, but to put some limit on NHL GMs stupidity.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

After some soul searching, if they were instead in the East, it wouldn't bug me that much.   It does sting, given we had to pay our dues, and are still paying them.   As far as roster build up goes ... Almost entirely Canadian.   With a couple US players.    Hard not to respect what they did with all that capital.   For sure between them, and St. Louis, it's good for the hope section of the sport, where most fans have to live.    Vegas wasn't built for the regular season, and that they have my respect for.   And turns out, trading for Eichel and losing some pretty good players (Tuch) was what they needed after all.    They are still a big team.   And their depth is nuts.   Was 100% rooting for Dallas, and that was the best series last year.   Razor thin, if anything Dallas had the edge in play, at least looked to have the edge anyways.    Sure hope we can have a good old fashioned rivalry with them.    Takes great teams going at that, for it to happen. 

Sorry Batch. Ya, Vegas is a good team. But the Canucks are younger, faster and hungrier. This is a game they can measure against and will come out ahead whether winning or losing. It is all about playoffs but the road getting there is necessary. We all know PA has some dry powder now. He likely has a couple of deals in the works. Who knows the game tonight might give him some new pointers. 

• Cheers 2

55 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

Vegas was absolutely gifted everything. They were gifted a top 3 pick 2 years in a row. They were gifted the ability to draft from every team in the league. They were gifted the ability to assess each players talent at an NHL level before deciding who to take. They were gifted the ability to know players salary and make educated financial decisions to maximize cap flexibility.

From there they were able to move players for more picks etc.

Imagine if there were 100 players to choose from to make a team and those players names go into a bag and choose 23 players from the bag. You'll get a completely random mixed team. What Vegas got was the list of players and got to choose the 23 they want, without having to pick from a bag.

So, essentially, McPhee outsmarted the other 30 GMs (except for Benning - they gor Sbisa from us)?

I think his genius was in getting sweeteners from other GMs to not pick certain players otherwise exposed.   I forget how many of the then GMs had never been thru an expansion draft before (19, I think I read) and many got fleeced.

But they built a team from second and 3rd line forwards, and 4 thru 6 D-men, many of whom thereafter played with a chip on their shoulders at being exposed.

Nothing was "gifted".  That's just a false narrative offered by mediocre, badly managed teams to justify their losing to an expansion team and save face

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

They (McPhee) were able to exploit the weaknesses in the other NHL GMs.  Blame the stupidity of those other GMd and not the rules they merely followed.

That was part of it but who they picked was huge. Marchesault? Karlsson? Stephenson? They are gamers. 

Then they got players like Barbeshev, Stone and Peitrangelo? Again, gamers when the game is on the line. 

Adin Hill? For a fourth rounder? Come on, this is just great pick ups all around.

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Sorry Batch. Ya, Vegas is a good team. But the Canucks are younger, faster and hungrier. This is a game they can measure against and will come out ahead whether winning or losing. It is all about playoffs but the road getting there is necessary. We all know PA has some dry powder now. He likely has a couple of deals in the works. Who knows the game tonight might give him some new pointers. 

I think our window is longer for sure.   Hope that they can make the adjustments.    After one year it's aces.     As for tonight's game, hope we take the boots to them.   And that Demko can keep living rent free in their heads too. 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Googlie said:

So, essentially, McPhee outsmarted the other 30 GMs (except for Benning - they gor Sbisa from us)?

I think his genius was in getting sweeteners from other GMs to not pick certain players otherwise exposed.   I forget how many of the then GMs had never been thru an expansion draft before (19, I think I read) and many got fleeced.

But they built a team from second and 3rd line forwards, and 4 thru 6 D-men, many of whom thereafter played with a chip on their shoulders at being exposed.

Nothing was "gifted".  That's just a false narrative offered by mediocre, badly managed teams to justify their losing to an expansion team and save face

You do know who ANA protected instead of Theodore right?   GMs for sure made some massive errors in judgement.   

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Googlie said:

They at least understood to build from the Net out. McNabb and Theodore on defence were steals. Fleury had gas left in the tank, and wanted to show Pittsburgh was stupid to let him go. Karlsson, March, and Carrier were solid finds. The big gamble and payoff was Eichel. And the team had enough depth to make that trade.

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

I said in the original post that management had done a good job.. right after the part you bolded.

Whatever triggered all this is beyond me.  They did a great job.