[Trade] Canucks acquire Nikita Zadorov from the Flames

RJCF96

Just now, JIAHN said:

I love the move

BUT, in saying that

He gets paid 3.5 million for a reason, and that is what he signed for, most clubs would have offered less.

Yes he is a big body, but is a depth 5/6 type player, does he take Hroneks place, I doubt it, and even if he does, Hughes will need to be more careful with the big guy along side.

Again, good signing! Just don't expect a incredibly skilled dman

Nobody is expecting that I don't think. But what we are getting is a reliable defensive dman who can skate and is very physical...just what we needed. I think you are being a but unfair though. He's a #4 defensive partner not depth.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, distantandvague said:

A fan of the team that a player requested a trade from has negative things to say about said player? This has to be the first time such a thing has ever occurred in professional sports fandom. 

I'm not sure what exactly the point of this post is (sarcasm without wit?), but the comments I read were well before the trade happened.

2 hours ago, Provost said:

For folks focussing on the picks, I bet other teams had better picks on offer.

What we had was the ability to not have to send back cap in the trade to make it work.  No one else would have been able to do that.  The extra cap space Calgary got from this has a lot of value for them in future moves.  They can easily double their return on the deal by taking back a contract for that money they freed up.

It was the Beauvillier trade that was the art work.

This article confirms the above.  Toronto wanted Calgary to retain salary.

Good to pull the trigger on this now, if Klingberg is done for the season Toronto would suddenly have cap space available to make a better deal.  I wouldn’t be surprised if they picked up another Flames D once Klingberg decides on surgery.

📸 Look at this post on Facebook https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/cap-tight-maple-leafs-unable-to-close-deal-on-zadorov-despite-making-offer?fbclid=IwAR1q83SuzUrwkjjVh4X3WEKx8-cA55IBmQJzYCMNsw8jD5aQ8CsWt9LXMVE_aem_AdUoWQxEiXk1NnNh4xz22CVojXgxzBWS7WH6pxxzhH952vyUmibHyMwhUWITXGvGLVw

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JIAHN said:

I love the move

BUT, in saying that

He gets paid 3.5 million for a reason, and that is what he signed for, most clubs would have offered less.

Yes he is a big body, but is a depth 5/6 type player, does he take Hroneks place, I doubt it, and even if he does, Hughes will need to be more careful with the big guy along side.

Essentially correct analysis... based on past performance.

But with Foote and Goncharev coaching him, there is a real possibility he could become a legitimate #4.

He has all the skills and size, he just needs to work on his positioning and avoid the headhunting and dumb plays.

• Cheers 2

9 minutes ago, Crimson JH said:

“Cap space is king. Unfortunately, the Maple Leafs didn't have enough of it to close the deal on Nikita Zadorov. Luke Fox has more on Leafs' pursuit of the defenceman and on the state of their blueline.”

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/cap-tight-maple-leafs-unable-to-close-deal-on-zadorov-despite-making-offer/

Was just gonna say this too... 

Getting rid of AB and his cap hit for a 5th and then leveraging it with a 3rd round pick 3 years out to get Z was genius. 

To think that we beat out TO because of cap space is incredible. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, JIAHN said:

I love the move

BUT, in saying that

We don't. We're expecting an upgrade on Juulsen, Friedman and our team will be miles better because as well as those two have played, they were our weak links

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

I'm just not a big fan of Zadorov at this point.  He was an exciting up and coming prospect and I wanted us to make a run at him, but he gets out of position way too much chasing after big hits or trying to make offensive plays. 

I'll be happy to be wrong. 

• Cheers 2

Just now, CanucksJay said:

We don't. We're expecting an upgrade on Juulsen, Friedman and our team will be miles better because as well as those two have played, they were our weak links

And now we have excellent depth for the playoffs in the event of the usual post season injuries.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Not sure Bear is in the teams plans now. Unless he takes a shave on his salary.

I tried to explain in another topic to some who wanted Bear and Kessel. Kessel is a "Hell No" and Bear is pure "Depth" in case say a Hronek or god forbid Hughes goes down for a spell. 

Zadorov is what we needed and what we got, it should be obvious to them by now.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, AatuD2 said:

I'm just not a big fan of Zadorov at this point.  He was an exciting up and coming prospect and I wanted us to make a run at him, but he gets out of position way too much chasing after big hits or trying to make offensive plays. 

I'll be happy to be wrong. 

Those problems are exactly what Foote and Goncharev will be focusing on in their 1 on 1's with him.

He has the skating skills to be in position all the time...  he has all the physical tools of size and reach.

No reason why he can't learn to focus on the basics more.

2 hours ago, Jim McMahon said:

Can the Nikita Tryamkin bullshit be officially laid to rest now ? 

Nope these guys played together on the Russian U-20 national team. Que more rumours of reunification. Twin Gorky towers baby!!!

DEFENSEMEN
#5 9.png Alexei Bereglazov (D) 29 1994 Magnitogorsk, RUS 6'4" 209 L VHL
#4 9.png Ilya Lyubushkin (D)Anaheim Ducks 29 1994 Moskva, RUS 6'2" 201 R KHL
#7 9.png Kirill Maslov (D) 29 1994 Voronezh, RUS 6'1" 192 R MHL
#22 9.png Andrei Mironov (D)   “A” 29 1994 Moskva, RUS 6'2" 207 L KHL
#8 9.png Nikita Tryamkin (D) 29 1994 Yekaterinburg, RUS 6'8" 258 L KHL
#6 9.png Valeri Vasilyev (D) 29 1994 Moskva, RUS 6'2" 223 L KHL
#16 9.png Nikita Zadorov (D)Vancouver Canucks 28 1995 Moskva, RUS 6'6" 236 L OHL
  • Haha 3

Just now, Junkyard Dog said:

Still need one more bonafide top 4 20+ minute guy but that will probably have to wait till this offseason at least.

Zadorvov brings elements we lack and have missed since Schenn left. 

This is a good move. I would probably extend Zadorov. 

The way our management works, you may not have to wait till the offseason. The way Rutherford hates waiting till the trade deadline, you may not have to wait till then either.

Procrastination is not in Rutherford's vocab, and he is teaching Alvin that to.

7 minutes ago, Provost said:

This article confirms the above.  Toronto wanted Calgary to retain salary.

Good to pull the trigger on this now, if Klingberg is done for the season Toronto would suddenly have cap space available to make a better deal.  I wouldn’t be surprised if they picked up another Flames D once Klingberg decides on surgery.

📸 Look at this post on Facebook https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/cap-tight-maple-leafs-unable-to-close-deal-on-zadorov-despite-making-offer?fbclid=IwAR1q83SuzUrwkjjVh4X3WEKx8-cA55IBmQJzYCMNsw8jD5aQ8CsWt9LXMVE_aem_AdUoWQxEiXk1NnNh4xz22CVojXgxzBWS7WH6pxxzhH952vyUmibHyMwhUWITXGvGLVw

I am thinking its going to be Tanev.

43 minutes ago, BCNate said:

I think we aim higher than Bear.  I think we are a legit top 4 D and a legit top 6 winger away from being a real threat.  I also think Allvin can make that happen.  Bear doesn't move the needle enough.

we just arguably picked up a fringe top 4 D in Zad, although he comes with warts but overall he’s what we needed. but further to that we need solid, reliable, “know what you can expect” depth on D. We need another legit 5-6 there which is cheaper to acquire than what we have to give up in order to maintain the level of hockey we are seeing right now and are capable of improving upon. We can’t risk trading some of the guts out of the team yet either. So best options are ones that don’t mess up the current chemistry too much while still improving. Signing proven UFAs is a great way to achieve that. And we have familiarity with Bear in Tocchet’s system and played on every defensive line…tho is why he makes a cheap asset free add.

i would love to see us pull off a deal that brings in what you describe, but only if it involves a pick+prospect type and none of the roster meat. Even Garland. He could prove to be a strong asset in a great 3rd liner (as we are seeing) if he’s willing to dedicate himself into that role and raise his value that way as well. Improvise and adapt. And if he still wants out, at least he made that a viable opportunity through his own play. But I digress. At this point he’s still a relative cap dump contract so I don’t consider him a strong trade piece unless it’s just circumstantial need from another team (like Beau trade) but it will still cost us. So pick+prospect (+ cap dump to make space and cost of that) for an expiring top4 Dman. Hefty price to pay but that’s a likely reality in what you’re hopeful for.