[Trade] Canucks acquire Nikita Zadorov from the Flames

RJCF96

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

I think we need another top 4, maybe two

From what I've read Flames fans refer to him as more of a 5, saw him described as Phaneuf lite, and really, when you consider who else Calgary have on D, he probably was a 5

Now, one can write that off as Flames fans being salty, and some are, but the price we paid also indicates he's probably viewed as a bottom pairing D 

Cole isn't a long term fit, hard to say whether Soucy and Zad are top 4 quality even though we miss Soucy

I'm off the opinion that the entire second pairing should be viewed as being in flux

I think either Cole or Soucy are good enough to play 2nd pair with a legit 1st pair guy (Hronek) anchoring that pair and "elevating" them. They can duke it out for that spot, the other guy anchors the 3rd pair and fills in with injuries.

This is why it's still be thrilled to see us trade for a "Zub" or sign Pesce this summer.

Hughes, Zub/Pesce (or similar)

Zadorov/Soucy, Hronek

Soucy/Zadorov, Bear

Brisebois, Friedman

Hirose, Juulsen

D Petey, Woo

Willander, Punky Brewster etc in the wings

38 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I think either Cole or Soucy are good enough to play 2nd pair with a legit 1st pair guy (Hronek) anchoring that pair and "elevating" them. They can duke it out for that spot, the other guy anchors the 3rd pair and fills in with injuries.

This is why it's still be thrilled to see us trade for a "Zub" or sign Pesce this summer.

Zadorov/Soucy, Hronek

Soucy/Zadorov, Bear

Brisebois, Friedman

Hirose, Juulsen

D Petey, Woo

I view Cole as a second pairing guy, I just question whether he'll be extended 

Soucy or Zadorov may have more to give, but both were more third pairing guys on their previous teams

Zub seems unlikely, Pesce could be a possibility 

5 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Could see Tanev coming back, it doesn't sound like he ever wanted to leave

Like with Myers, I'm hoping we aim higher (Pesce, Zub or similar) but he'd be real high (highest?) on the list after exhausting those avenues. Probably better on the 2nd pair at this point though...

Hughes, Hronek

Zadorov, Tanev

Soucy, Bear

... would still be very good.

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Like with Myers, I'm hoping we aim higher (Pesce, Zub or similar) but he'd be real high (highest?) on the list after exhausting those avenues. Probably better on the 2nd pair at this point though...

Hughes, Hronek

Zadorov, Tanev

Soucy, Bear

Yeah, I don't think Tanev would be a Hughes partner most of the time but I do think he could adequately play top 4 minutes

Pesce would probs b v in demand, and a Tanev reunion makes a lot of sense

Both would be neat

• Cheers 3

15 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Hughes, Hronek

Zadorov, Tanev

Soucy, Bear

The problem with Pesce is that he's going to be the highest profile defenseman free agent along with Hanifin (and Skjei and Montour if they make it) and so is likely to be quite overpaid. I would love to have him, but I can't help but feel a GM is going to get desperate and offer something like 8M x 7 years for him and I hope that isn't the Canucks.

3 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

The problem with Pesce is that he's going to be the highest profile defenseman free agent along with Hanifin (and Skjei and Montour if they make it) and so is likely to be quite overpaid. I would love to have him, but I can't help but feel a GM is going to get desperate and offer something like 8M x 7 years for him and I hope that isn't the Canucks.

I'm not suggesting we over extend ourselves on him. But players can see what's happening here and are starting to want to come here again. If you can sign him to a reasonable deal ($5.5x 6 +/-), we'd be foolish not to. If he wants top dollar we look at other options (Tanev, Lyubushkin, Hakanpaa etc). Better than all those, I'd rather see a trade for a Zub or similar player either for, or after moving Garland.

• Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, aGENT said:

players can see what's happening here and are starting to want to come here again.

I'm glad you mentioned this...was thinking about it with Zadorov coming here.

This is really important and I'm sure will factor in with Petey. Players WANT to come here...for many reasons. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

24 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I'm not suggesting we over extend ourselves on him. But players can see what's happening here and are starting to want to come here again. If you can sign him to a reasonable deal ($5.5x 6 +/-), we'd be foolish not to. If he wants top dollar we look at other options (Tanev, Lyubushkin, Hakanpaa etc). Better than all those, I'd rather see a trade for a Zub or similar player either for, or after moving Garland.

$6.5×6 is probably the highest I would comfortably go with Pesce before I look elsewhere. I'm low-key hoping DeMelo makes it to free agency as I think he might be had for a more reasonable cap hit and term (maybe something like $4.5-5×3years).

A lot of this probably depends on what Zadorov is asking for as an extension though.

27 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

$6.5×6 is probably the highest I would comfortably go with Pesce before I look elsewhere. I'm low-key hoping DeMelo makes it to free agency as I think he might be had for a more reasonable cap hit and term (maybe something like $4.5-5×3years).

A lot of this probably depends on what Zadorov is asking for as an extension though.

I don't think I'd even go that high, so there ya go 🤣

• Cheers 1

Saw this come across my Facebook feed regarding Big Zeke,

"I'm a Leafs fan. Broke shit when I got home hearing we didn't get Zadarov" ... Mike Morrow (Top Fan)

All is REALLY going Supercalifragilisticexpialidociously over at Leafs Nation. Now if only Tanev gets traded anywhere but to TO then we should be set for another first round exit for the Laffs .... and as an added bonus, a spike in house fires in Toronto, j/k, never wish ill on the enemy ... well mostly not.

Edited by Rocket-68
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, -dlc- said:

As much as I love Tanev, I don't particularly want him back. He's about to turn 34 and has played some tough minutes. 

I feel it's just a matter of time before he falls completely apart (physically). Held together with duct tape and zap straps at this point. It would be our luck to bring him back, only to lose him to injury.

405297161_10160664672975549_732178985658

Yeah let Toronto deal with that headache. 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, aGENT said:

Honestly I don’t see us going for a high profile top 4 anymore. With the way hronek is playing he easily working himself into the 8-9mil contract range especially if he finish the season at the current ppg range.. simply don’t see how the Canucks can afford another 6mil ish defenceman at that point.. between hronek hughes that’s already almost more than what teams pay the top 3 defenceman.. I can already see the Canucks leading the league in how much they pay their defence next season even without pesce. 

hronek 8-9

hughes 7.8

soucy 3.25

zadorov 4ish

top 4 ???

Bottom 2???

im not sure how much Cole have left in the tank.. I don’t think we can afford another top 4 that’s more than 5mil at most.. 4 if I have a say.. if we don’t keep Cole.. unless they split up Hughes and hronek as a pair.. we are way too top heavy given how much Hughes and hronek is going to be paid.. if we signed hronek last summer in the 6-7 range then ya we can go for a big fish.. but if we end up with hronek at 8-9 mil i think we are out of the running for any of the top 4 this summer.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

Honestly I don’t see us going for a high profile top 4 anymore. With the way hronek is playing he easily working himself into the 8-9mil contract range especially if he finish the season at the current ppg range.. simply don’t see how the Canucks can afford another 6mil ish defenceman at that point.. between hronek hughes that’s already almost more than what teams pay the top 3 defenceman.. I can already see the Canucks leading the league in how much they pay their defence next season even without pesce. 

hronek 8-9

hughes 7.8

soucy 3.25

zadorov 4ish

top 4 ???

Bottom 2???

im not sure how much Cole have left in the tank.. I don’t think we can afford another top 4 that’s more than 5mil at most.. 4 if I have a say.. if we don’t keep Cole.. unless they split up Hughes and hronek as a pair.. we are way too top heavy given how much Hughes and hronek is going to be paid.. if we signed hronek last summer in the 6-7 range then ya we can go for a big fish.. but if we end up with hronek at 8-9 mil i think we are out of the running for any of the top 4 this summer.

I think you'll see Hronek at something a little over Toews deal.

I don't think we should spend more than about $5.5m +/- either. Just as I referenced in the quote you posted there. But we do need another top 4 RHD one way or another. Ideally, we could trade for a guy like Zub, already under a ~$4m contract. Need to move Garland though.

7 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I think you'll see Hronek at something a little over Toews deal.

I don't think we should spend more than about $5.5m +/- either. Just as I referenced in the quote you posted there. But we do need another top 4 RHD one way or another. Ideally, we could trade for a guy like Zub, already under a ~$4m contract. Need to move Garland though.

i would love for a toews deal but i think we are dreaming at this point. age plays a big factor 27 vs 30 at the start of their next contract, and production will play into a big factor too. 50 in 80 games vs almost a ppg right now with majority of it being 5v5. i think it'll be closer to sergahev at this point than of toews.

6 hours ago, aGENT said:

Zadorov/Soucy, Hronek

Soucy/Zadorov, Bear

Brisebois, Friedman

Hirose, Juulsen

D Petey, Woo

I think we'd have to trade for Pesce, he'll get locked up by whoever gets him at the TDL imo, theres a real lack of high quality RHD this offseason.

Tanev, like Bear, wants to be here and both have game left.

• Cheers 2

4 hours ago, -dlc- said:

I'm glad you mentioned this...was thinking about it with Zadorov coming here.

This is really important and I'm sure will factor in with Petey. Players WANT to come here...for many reasons. 

Players are wanting to come here because Miller is a beast, Hughes is a wizard and Demmer is King. Petey is a good throw in but still has to catch up imo and I’m a huge Petey fan. 

Go Canucks Go!

Edited by NucksIn50
  • Cheers 2

16 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I think we'd have to trade for Pesce, he'll get locked up by whoever gets him at the TDL imo, theres a real lack of high quality RHD this offseason.

Tanev, like Bear, wants to be here and both have game left.

Tanev and to a lesser degree Bear would both look good here. Neither gives us that dynamic second pair though unless the idea is to play Hronek on the second pair.

This team is missing one more difference maker on the d core (and a rugged top 6 winger). Pesce would be awesome- and i agree that a trade is the likely only route to secure someone. If petey and demko are playing at their top level it probably doesn’t matter, but that’s not really a plan. 

Garland, Myers, and to a lesser extend Kuz are our inefficient salary though all are playing fine and i like them. just a little overpaid for what they’re delivering right now. 

Pretty great situation that we’re talking about having too many quality players signed and wanting to be here. This is the first time in a long time that there isn’t someone i want to see gone and would be happy to see replaced by an ahl journeyman.

• ThereItIs 1

6 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Could see Tanev coming back, it doesn't sound like he ever wanted to leave

5 hours ago, -dlc- said:

As much as I love Tanev, I don't particularly want him back. He's about to turn 34 and has played some tough minutes. 

I feel it's just a matter of time before he falls completely apart (physically). Held together with duct tape and zap straps at this point. It would be our luck to bring him back, only to lose him to injury.

405297161_10160664672975549_732178985658

I'm wondering if he even has any unscathed body parts left to block shots with 😬😬😬

To me this trade made sense for us.

Now we have a full NHL D with 3 extra D that can step in with injuries.

Bear should not be signed as there is no room for him except the press box. Friedman and others have played better then Bear so far and now will be extras.

Best thing now is to figure out a way to upgrade the forwards with a trade.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, NucksIn50 said:

Players are wanting to come here because Miller is a beast, Hughes is a wizard and Demmer is King. Petey is a good throw in but still has to catch up imo and I’m a huge Petey fan. 

Go Canucks Go!

I’m not sure what’s going on with Petey, but once he matures a little more and figures out how to be consistent - this team will always be a threat.  

Hughes is unreal - never seems to have a slump in his play. His points in a game changes with the top 6 being ‘on’ or ‘off’, but i don’t think it’s due to him. So happy we have him, and what a great choice for captain.

Miller is doing great. Like you say: ‘beast’.  I’m optimistic he can maintain this quality level for most of his contract, and a hard-nosed coach like Tocc should keep him from being the pouty Miller we’ve seen during past stretches of losing.  He’s fire, and right now we’re harnessing that.

Demko has another level we haven’t seen much of yet this year. He’s kept us in games that could have gotten out of hand, but he really hasn’t stolen much. 

When these core 4 are going, I don’t think there is any team we can’t compete with. Damn right players should want to play here. 

• Cheers 1