[Trade] Canucks acquire Nikita Zadorov from the Flames

RJCF96

5 minutes ago, I.AM.THE.WALRUS said:

That’s probably why Zadorov  came here instead of Toronto for any other destination

3 minutes ago, Joe King said:

I think G.M. P.A. is a chess player, he thinks two or three moves ahead.

And applies that strategy to trades.

The Zadorov issue in Calgary wasn't getting any better but whatever move they made, they wanted to get out of a bad cap situation.  So Allvin was able to give them what they wanted:  no cap retained or no salaries coming back.  This is something no other suitor was able to do.

Also, given the relationship Canuck management has with Zadorov's agent, Dan Milstein and the Russian players on the team makes it a friendly place for him to re-sign.  He is, of course a UFA at the end of the season.

Allvin's work often takes two steps.  I don't know if this is unique in the NHL.  I doubt it but we are able to connect the dots because of the rapid way things are getting done.  This is typical Rutherford and he's mentoring Allvin how to do it.  First Hronek, now Zadorov.

• Like 1

Just now, CanucksJay said:

Yeah best bet is to resign Z and either user Myers expiring cap space to get a legit star D player OR

Re-sign Myers to 2.5-3m and re-sign Z and use Cole's expiring contract and savings from Myers to get another D

One more 20+ D and we can have a veteran top pairing while having a guy like Willander/etc have a solid top 4 D to help elevate him when time comes. 

Zadorov/Soucy hold the for at 3rd pair. Probably be hard to find a better 3rd pair than that.

Wouldn’t mind someone who’s a defensive steward in our top 4. Would help us 5v5 and on PK. Our top D prospects and top 2 D on the roster have high offensive skill though Willander/Hronek may be more two-way. 

11 minutes ago, Vancan said:

To top it off, traded to your rival Canucks, and making them better. Pretty sure Conroy had instructions to get him out asap, deal with the downfall later. 

Maybe Calgary has something in the works that only needs some cap room

1 hour ago, 48MPHSlapshot said:

Not that depth is ever a bad thing to have, but assuming we do sign Bear and everyone gets healthy, who's the odd man out? Cole?

Hughes Hronek

Zadorov Bear

Soucy Myers

Cole

Either way, that's as much depth as I've seen on our blueline since our President's trophy days  

Pretty sure that Bear will be our #8 Dman and they send Juulsen to Abby. 

Bear will have to work his way into the lineup. At this point he is behind Friedman. Once he can prove himself then he maybe takes Cole’s spot. 

We will see. Most likely somebody is injured at any one time. To win the cup you need to be 8 deep on the blue line. With Zadorov and Bear we will be 8 deep. 

• Cheers 2

How many trades has PA lost in his tenure as Canucks GM?  Its like he's playing 4d chess while everyone else is playing checkers.  He's not just a competent GM, he's very smart and plans ahead.  Now compare him to ($11 mill on the 4th line) Benning.   PeeeeeYeuwwww. 😷

Didn't Cole play with Zadorov with the Avs? Maybe the expectation is to reunite them. We've got 2mil space left according to capfriendly meaning we still have space to sign Bear.

Hughes.    Hronek

Zadorov    Cole

Soucy       Bear/Myers

Friedman  Myers/Bear 

Other teams either have to deal with the best D pair in the league or 200+ lbs absolute behemoths. That's got to be the best D we've had since we made a run at the cup.

1 minute ago, EdgarM said:

??? What does Garland have to do with the discussion?

You're the one who brought up putting a "beer leaguer" on the top line. Which you bolded as Garland. 

So what are you talking about? I'm just pointing out, he's no "beer leaguer." 

8 minutes ago, Barn Burner said:

Garland is by no means a beer leaguer. Too funny.

8 minutes ago, Barn Burner said:

Garland is by no means a beer leaguer. Too funny.

5 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

??? What does Garland have to do with the discussion?

Edited by Vancan
wrong info

12 minutes ago, dannydog said:

So, could Foote and Gonchar fix some of zadorov’s “ off game” faux pas ? Could the team defensive system maybe nullify these issues also? We know he’s big and tough which we need but also has some Myers type play tendencies.

Gonchar can explain it to him in his own language.  He speaks Russian like a native

29 minutes ago, AatuD2 said:

I'm just not a big fan of Zadorov at this point.  He was an exciting up and coming prospect and I wanted us to make a run at him, but he gets out of position way too much chasing after big hits or trying to make offensive plays. 

I'll be happy to be wrong. 

Just wait... your forgetting the Gonchar and Foote effect.

Look at how Hughes and Hronek have both elevated their games this year.

Even Myers has been 20% better.

If they can do something similar with Big Z then this could be the steal of the year!

Even if they can't, I think he fits better in our structure than with calgary. 

There is nothing but upside to this trade.

Edited by JayDangles
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Barn Burner said:

You're the one who brought up putting a "beer leaguer" on the top line. Which you bolded as Garland. 

So what are you talking about? I'm just pointing out, he's no "beer leaguer." 

I was talking about where the poster wanted to add Phil Kessel and break up our best line of late of Garland/Blueger/Joshua

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

A fair argument, I'd prefer to stick with Myers though as he's a guy who has historically been a top 4D

Put him in a 5D position and manage his minutes better and he probably continues to look good out there 

Myers also contributes size that Bear doesn't, along with his other positive traits, he helps make our D the largest it's been in ages

If you can add a legit say top top 6 F with the cap from moving Myers, replacing him with Bear, you'd be silly not to. IMO, you're not looking at the domino effect.