[Trade] Canucks acquire Nikita Zadorov from the Flames

RJCF96

19 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

You are not wrong in your observation of his inability to stay on his feet. He is dealing with something right now and I worry its something more serious he's playing through. Hope he gains his health and strength back. When he's healthy he is pretty unstoppable.

Not a player the team is going to trade though.

Ya you are right… they won’t trade him he will hopefully grow into his roll and get stronger - mentally emotionally physically - he’s only 25

ya he’s definitely playing through something 

the Good news is Alvin is putting a bigger tougher faster team together piece by piece and at a pretty good pace… 

still has more pieces to add 

this team is definitely stronger than what he had last year 

we just need to get more depth and healthy and we will be ok…

we really miss Soucey and Suter and now Cole is out… 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, R3aL said:

Because he could be free RHD depth with no term?

We will have injuries.

He gives lots of flex with Myers with the deadline coming up.

Myers is resign or trade or hold for a playoff push.

I think you are undervaluing Bear and what he did as a Canuck.

Hes is >>> then Friedman, Juulsen and you could argue Myers.

He paired very well with Quinn Hughes too.

There are very few RHD in the NHL that are top 6 NHL calibre and Bear is 1.

Hughes-Hronek/Bear/Cole/Zadorov

Its nice to have options:

Hughes-Hronek

Zadorov-Cole

Soucy-Myers/Bear

Brisebois-Bear/Myers

Yea but then the question is why would you want to use your 2 mil of cap space now when a good deal may come up during TDL? For a winger upgrade or whatnot. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, iceman1964 said:

You know, I fully admit I was super skeptical of JR and AL, I'm pleasantly shocked on how they've done and approached D in a way we need especially against bigger teams, signing Laffy, you know some grit that can actually chip in and make opposing think twice before cheap shots at our stars or even touch a puck against a hard forecheck in anticipation of getting hit hard!  

Much like our 2012 roster actually but we didn't have depth to finish, but it seems to me management is listening to Toc who likes a tough roster because he knows from experience that the post season is BRUTAL! 

I just read and watched this vid, omfg! YES PLEASE! 

Shades of Tryamkin!!! 

This is exactly what we need, just enough to balance us out and depth will get us a lot closer and perhaps moving ahead the dial to our window in the next 2 years but if this keeps up, it just might not just be another one and done! 

I sure wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of a Zadorov hit!! 

I live this trade! 

I’m glad fans like you actually see the difference between the old and new now.

I probably doesn’t have to silence Sam either anymore.

4 hours ago, CanuckFanForever said:

Only reason we even have to do this trade is because Tocchet can't coach a proper defensive structure. 

I'm sorry to say this but Zad isn't going to fix the Canucks problem. Personally I think he makes them worse. This is a move of desperation 

So you don’t understand strategic decisions? 
When did PA talk about rewarding the players and when did we go into a slump? 

Tocchet have tested a few players etc during the slump and now the reward comes.

This means we will be back into winning mode for a while now and maybe get into a slump before TDL again to evaluate. 😉

There are only two concerns I have with Nikita Zadorov moving forward.

The first one is obvious: he's left-handed.  Zadorov and Cole have both played on the right side, but obviously their natural positions are on the left side.  That creates an apparent logjam when Soucy comes back.

The second one is overall penalties among defencemen.  We all know how bad Myers and Cole are with taking penalties.  This was well known heading into the season.  Soucy had done well but also got called for a lot in Seattle.  So that's four defencemen who have poor reputations for getting themselves in the box while not drawing any penalties themselves.

image.png.fd0de74363c851bd10591755aaa71f0e.png image.png.6fe9e5a0bceb064883c6d3d21d8a01a0.png image.png.1fff47221c4f4232b951542c397433ef.png image.png.3395c4e87b3376e740e2988535d0d8d3.png

Vancouver's tendency of having our standard penalty killers often getting penalized themselves (I'm including J.T. Miller here) has really put a strain on our PK units.  They are now 22nd in the NHL at 76.4%.  Causes for concern going forward, but it's a better problem to have than having to constantly ice AHL D-men.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

11 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I'd rather have Myers than Bear...

Yeah I would think the idea was to add not trade defense. I would imagine unless its something bigger you will see the 6 NHLers here with likely the addition of Bear. The idea is to have the Friedman's, Juulsen's, Irwin's and other as depth/call up options.

• Cheers 1

This is probably the biggest trade we've ever made with an Alberta team.   Maybe Staois.   That said, we must have been the only offer that didn't have cap going back.   CAL fans should be factoring whatever happens next with their team, with that in mind.    Conroy must have a plan in place to use that capital.

Love this deal, JR and Allvin keep doing that heavy elephant feast.    Just took off the ribs and enjoying them im sure! 

• Cheers 2

5 hours ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

One question:

With Zadorov on board now (great trade by the way), do you put 

a) Play Zadorov with Hughes and move Hronek down to anchor the 2nd pairing?  (which would, by default, move Myers to the 3rd pairing)

b) Keep Hughes and Hronek together and play Zadorov on a 2nd pairing?

Think you can't mess with QHs Hronek. 

Not yet anyways.   Although for sure it's a viable option now. 

Someone will have to play their off-side once Soucy is back.    And it's not Friedman anymore.   

Think they go with this:

QHs Hronek

Cole Zadarov (as a pairing)

Soucy Myers 

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Thing is he can also PK.   So when Cole is in the box, we've got another option.   When Soucy or Zadarov are in the box, same thing. 

I will take the heavy hits and physicality over a Rathbone, Bear, AHL revolving door with smaller puny D's, anyday.    QHs said it well, this is something our team lacks.    Friedman playing the left side.   Now when the teams healthy, every single D is NHL caliber.    A lot to like about this.   Hope he works out, and that we can sign him too.    The moneys there.   Another big bite out of the elephant. 

Growing up with the smallest D's on our team guys like Lumme and Aucion..All 6'2-6'3 of them.   Jovo was a smallish D when he arrived lol.   It's sure nice to finally get back to something that works well in the playoffs, no complaints here.

Our team has skilled guys that draw penalties.     IMO we've filled a huge spot.   And the trickle down effect will be felt.    Expect it to take until around Christmas, for Zadarov to settle into his new digs and Tochetts system.   At least a few games anyways.    

Having a 6'6" 250lb beast that can actually play the game and has a bomb of a shot ... is a good thing.  

Teams been playing with one fringe guy all season.   And two since Soucy is out, and well that coincides with our .500 streak.     Zadarov should give this team a big boost.   

He has to play on Saturday! To juicy a reality show to pass. He likely flew to Vancouver last night and will get a practice in before returning to Calgary. Certainly agree with your take on Zadarov. Canuck defenders are getting bigger and meaner. I thought Juulson had another solid game last night. I think Friedman sits. Juulson likely stays until Soucy comes back. 

• Cheers 2

12 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

this feels like PA/JR are using a cheat code. BBA><>><A? First a get out of cap jail free card with Beau then Zadorov for a song? Almost doesn't seem fair. 

Wasn't that the cheat-code for Rambo (nintendo game for unlimited life's).   Only way to complete the game (took hours and hours, but two players).   

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

This is probably the biggest trade we've ever made with an Alberta team.   Maybe Staois.   That said, we must have been the only offer that didn't have cap going back.   CAL fans should be factoring whatever happens next with their team, with that in mind.    Conroy must have a plan in place to use that capital.

Love this deal, JR and Allvin keep doing that heavy elephant feast.    Just took off the ribs and enjoying them im sure! 

I was curious about this and tried to do some reading on it.  From what I could dig up, Steve Staios was claimed on waivers.  We then lost him in the expansion draft to Atlanta.  Are you thinking of a different player perhaps?  Or maybe I’m missing something. (Different Staios?)

• Cheers 1

14 hours ago, Coconuts said:

I'm not as sold on him as others, not sure he's actually a top 4 guy, but I'm not gonna complain. That's a helluva price even if he only amounts to being a third pairing guy. 

I’m in the same boat. I wasn’t excited about the rumours, because I expected him to cost a lot more in futures to obtain.

But at that price? Hell yeah, I’ll take him! 

• Cheers 2

36 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

I was curious about this and tried to do some reading on it.  From what I could dig up, Steve Staios was claimed on waivers.  We then lost him in the expansion draft to Atlanta.  Are you thinking of a different player perhaps?  Or maybe I’m missing something. (Different Staios?)

There was the Baertschi for a 2nd trade, and then the Hunter Shinkaruk for Granlund trade that technically involved higher picks and higher prospects.

Neither trade moved the needle for either team much. This will likely be a bigger impact trade.

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Goal_thecup said:

I don't see the reason so many want to sign Bear; dime a dozen d-man for almost $2m/yr; too small; too soft...what the heck?

Because he's capable NHL quality RHD depth, who can fill in, in the top 4, costs no assets to acquire, and won't cost $2m and maybe allows us to move Myers, clear cap, and make further additions later.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1