[Trade] Canucks acquire Nikita Zadorov from the Flames

RJCF96

28 minutes ago, aGENT said:

What if retaining $2m and clearing $4m on Myers means adding a player like a "Crouse" at the TDL?

Think like Allvin....😉

Haha. Love me some Lawson Crouse. Unfortunately, I don’t think Arizona is trading him. IF they were to trade him, it’s probably our 2024 1st, Podkolzin and Höglander.  

But hey, maybe Allvin can get him for Akito Hirose and Noah Juulsen.  🥹

• Haha 2
  • Cheers 1

I think that the Canucks will seek to sign Zadorov to an extension after about 10 games or so, once he clicks with a d partner. This is probably writing on the wall for Myers. His size has been replaced by a much tougher and more consistent player. He's not going to be in the team's plans going forward unless he signs for bottom pairing money ($1-2M). 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Tower102 said:

I'm not sure why this is the popular opinion. Lets break things down a little.

Zadorov is a bottom pairing D-man that can fill some minutes in the top 4. He's basically a Tyler Myers that shoots left but uses his size more for physicality. They both skate well for their size, can move the puck and bring offense but also tend to make costly give a ways and take a lot of penalites. Maybe a hybrid Myers/Soucy who both also are ideal bottom pair guys that can play some top 4 minutes. 

He wasn't happy and requested a trade.

He is making over 3m a year.

UFA at end of the year. 

Why is a 3rd and 5th too low? Just because some people were over rating him and thought he could go for more? It's more or less fair value without the public trade request, with it, teams were always going to play harder ball and have the leverage over the Flames. 

While its not directly comparable to Beauvillier, it somewhat is. He was a middle six guy not getting a fair shot here, making 4m and expiring contract. Not as much value as a Dman and slightly higher contract so you won't expect the trade value to be equal. But one got a 5th which had fans happy to have just gotten rid of the contract, while the other got that exact 5th PLUS a 3rd (WAY more value) and people are critizing Conroy?

I think its a fine move by Conroy, maybe they could have got more at the deadline when teams seem to overpay for rentals because they get a bit more desperate, but you also don't want to drag a situation out too long while a player has publicly requested a trade.

It's a fine move by the Canucks to stop gap Soucy's long term injury, but for me its just that. We spent a 3rd to eliminate the damage of a Soucy injury and improve depth for when he is back. It doesn't put us into the legit contender category that an Andersson type deal would have that improves our top 4. 

A well thought out and articulate post - well done and thank you.  Only thing I would add is that it provides valuable cap space for the Flames.  As a Canucks fan since 1967 I am a fan of this trade.  Like to see some beef and snarl in the back end.

Cheers.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bure_Pavel said:

PLAYER                          GP  G     A   TP  PIM  +/-

J.T. Miller (C/W)                  24     13    23     36    16      10
Brock Boeser (RW)             24     17     10     27      2       8
Phil Di Giuseppe (LW/RW)  24     3       5      8       15      5

One of these things is not like the others, PDG has been great in the role he has been asked to play but that spot can be upgraded for sure. Garland is the superior player of the two, he just makes 5 times as much. I could see a deadline trade to add a better LW that plays a similar style.   

I think you would need to look at the 5v5 stats.  Those pts include PP1 time where PDG is not on.

43 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

I wouldn't call this trade a fleece, but VAN got what they needed at a very good cost. Conroy also got what he wanted by removing the unhappy player and now being able to bring up the other Russian D he wanted to get into the lineup. CGY could've gotten more if they dragged it out, other teams were interested.

Allvin is like a fierce predator in the jungle, stalking his prey. Chicago is limping from the Perry rumours, and Allvin attacks and takes advantage of the Hawks. Then suddenly, Calgary is in trouble with a disgruntled player, and Allvin attacks again and takes advantage of the Flames. This GM doesn't mess around. What do the Canucks need next? A Top 6 forward? Allvin is currently stalking his next prey.

VAN needed size and toughness in a pretty bad way, considering their eyes are on playoffs and making a run. Maybe Big Z brings other intangibles as well, like opponents not taking liberties or picking on Petey, Hughes or Hogz, as much. Other teams might think twice with the Zadorov - Cole pairing on the ice.

I agree that Van made a good move. I am a fan of the move, I think we need to do more still but its a great step. My comment was mostly regarding the flack Conroy has been getting. I think he did fine too. Its more of a win for us and toss up for them, not ideal but based on the circumstances they did alright not to lose. IMO

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, BPA said:

I think you would need to look at the 5v5 stats.  Those pts include PP1 time where PDG is not on.

Yeah it is still 19, 17, then 8. I know PDG brings other things to the table but on most teams he is likely not a top 6 guy. 

Hoglander has been outstanding this year with limited minutes, would love to see him get a shot if that line starts to look a little stale. 

Fun fact the Canucks currently have three players with a Shooting % over 20%. Brock, JT, and Hoglander. 

Edited by Bure_Pavel

3 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

I bet he'll get a chance to be 2nd paring at times here. / Who doesn't struggle at 4 freakin minutes?

High risk / high reward? Hell; He'll fit fantastic with the Canucks. Open ice hitter? (fist pump) Bring it, love it!

We've had some crappy fighters before but it can serve a valuable message when need be.

This is an accurate assessment. 

I really hope he works out well here. 

I was just astonished at some of the proposals some were making. 

Crazy stuff. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Curious, a lot of people didn’t want Bear back because we have so many 5-6 guys. We just added another 3rd pairing guy. 
He sounds a lot like a tougher, slightly less chaotic giraffe. 
Supposed to be really mobile, tough, good puck handler and big shot. But prone to Chaos Giraffe esc gaffes. (How did they miss Gaffe Giraffe?) 

Will be interesting how they whip this all into shape. It will be Hughes and Hronek making you dizzy then 2 pairings where Ian Cole is the smallest by a lot clogging the middle and protecting Demko. Add to that some big shooters and this could be interesting. 
If we can get Podz healthy and back to progressing like he was before the Judo throw our forward core will look better, especially once EP gets whatever is ailing him figured out. 
Struggling lately but I still think we are at least a wildcard team. 
Really remarkable that no other GM can pull off a trade this time of year unless it involve PA. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Thanks!  My memory obviously needs fact checking.   So ... is this then the biggest trade ever made with an Alberta team then? 

I think Darius had it right. Reinhart was a beast for us(only for 2 seasons before his back gave out at age 30).

3 hours ago, Darius said:

I’m thinking Bozek and Reinhart for a third rounder back in like 88.  Reinhart was a fabulous d man on the latter part of his career. With those two guys in the lineup plus rookie Linden the  Canucks got within a goalpost ( or Stan smyl shot) of knocking off the flames in game 7 1989 .. the year the lames won the cup. 

Also this trade...

1 hour ago, Coryberg said:

Honorable mention to Dana Murzyn for Ronnie Sturn and Kevan Guy.

We got 9 seasons out of Dana (5 realy good ones) logging big minutes. 

Zadorov has a lot of heavy lifting to come close to these guys.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Curious, a lot of people didn’t want Bear back because we have so many 5-6 guys. We just added another 3rd pairing guy. 
He sounds a lot like a tougher, slightly less chaotic giraffe. 
Supposed to be really mobile, tough, good puck handler and big shot. But prone to Chaos Giraffe esc gaffes. (How did they miss Gaffe Giraffe?) 

Will be interesting how they whip this all into shape. It will be Hughes and Hronek making you dizzy then 2 pairings where Ian Cole is the smallest by a lot clogging the middle and protecting Demko. Add to that some big shooters and this could be interesting. 
If we can get Podz healthy and back to progressing like he was before the Judo throw our forward core will look better, especially once EP gets whatever is ailing him figured out. 
Struggling lately but I still think we are at least a wildcard team. 
Really remarkable that no other GM can pull off a trade this time of year unless it involve PA. 

Re: Bear and Zadorov i think it’s a case of shiny new toy mixed with the apparently permanent PTSD from the 2011 SCF.

Personally, I’m glad we’re still in the mix on Bear as well, though I’m curious to see his opinion on joining a crowded blue line.

At a glance, Zadorov is what he is - another big left handed 4/5 with some offensive pop but penchant for penalties in the vein of Soucy. Which totally works as a mid season replacement part - and time will tell if it fits longer term.

I’ve said it myself (and Drance of all people alluded to it as well) that his fit is a little awkward if we plan on keeping Cole, who’s been solid taking on more responsibility than he should driving the second pair.  Will be super interesting to see if we play someone on their off hand and how that goes down. 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Lemon Face said:

This is forum ,with so many GM.We speculate,pretend we know the best,curse when things dont go our way.Reality is something else.Cap money,players we need,system we run.

its funny listening to so many here thinking they know whats best, if we actually knew what we were talking about we be a GM somewere 😛 but it is fun though

• ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, Tower102 said:

Fair enough for sure, but he's closer to Myers than what some people were thinking he was. That difference with Myers and the cap is also why he got a return whereas we have been talking about adding to our side to get rid of Myers. 

And Myers has his warts, but it's mostly that he takes up so much cap considering. Myers might be better with a change of scenery (a la OEL), and Zadorov could regress coming here, but I'd generally put Zadorov ahead of Myers based on this/last season.

8 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Yeah it is still 19, 17, then 8. I know PDG brings other things to the table but on most teams he is likely not a top 6 guy. 

Hoglander has been outstanding this year with limited minutes, would love to see him get a shot if that line starts to look a little stale. 

Fun fact the Canucks currently have three players with a Shooting % over 20%. Brock, JT, and Hoglander. 

No doubt PDG can be shuffled down the lines.  They already did that by showcasing Beau on Miller line.

2 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

And Myers has his warts, but it's mostly that he takes up so much cap considering. Myers might be better with a change of scenery (a la OEL), and Zadorov could regress coming here, but I'd generally put Zadorov ahead of Myers based on this/last season.

if myers was only like 2-3mil , ppl wouldnt care, but cause his cap is so high, ppl care 

4 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

Yes it’s the cap hit and minutes that soured us Canucks fans.  At $6M, should be a top pairing D capable of 20+ minutes.  He can’t do that.  But his contact is up and I can see Canucks re-signing him at the appropriate cap hit ($3M x 2yrs).

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Déjà Vu said:

if myers was only like 2-3mil , ppl wouldnt care, but cause his cap is so high, ppl care 

People would still care, just a lot less.

Just now, BPA said:

Yes it’s the cap hit and minutes that soured us Canucks fans.  At $6M, should be a top pairing D capable of 20+ minutes.  He can’t do that.  But his contact is up and I can see Canucks re-signing him at the appropriate cap hit ($3M x 2yrs).

I'm not sure of that with the additions we've made. I'm also not sure Myers wouldn't try his luck in free agency if that was the offer (likely starting lower for negotiation purposes).