[Trade] Canucks acquire Nikita Zadorov from the Flames

RJCF96

50 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Who ever this Twitter guy is he's a liar. He didn't talk to anyone who covers CGY. In the comments someone asked to disclose who said that. The author said he can't disclose blah blah blah..

The fact is the guy who made those comments was on a podcast. I know because I just watched the podcast and it was pretty much word for word what the guy said..

It's on YouTube.  I watched almost all of the videos on there regarding this trade and one of the videos had a guest from CGY for his input. He said the above. 

Anyways it sounds about right.  We get a great 4/5 dman with size truculence and he's fun to watch. 

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, BPA said:

Yes it’s the cap hit and minutes that soured us Canucks fans.  At $6M, should be a top pairing D capable of 20+ minutes.  He can’t do that.  But his contact is up and I can see Canucks re-signing him at the appropriate cap hit ($3M x 2yrs).

If he was league minimum I would still care about the bonehead plays and poorly timed penalties. 
Plus he keeps trying to break our first line. 
Man I hope our PK improves a lot. 

Apparently Leafs are now targeting Tanev.

Friedman reporting it on 32 thoughts. 

They wanted Zadorov but couldn't make it happen without CGY retaining on Zad.

I wouldn't be surprised if Tanev signs here as UFA in summer.

Myers out as UFA and Tanev in at around $3.5 million on a 2 year deal. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

I think the bigger trade was being able to move out Beauvillier cap hit without retention. 

Not only did they not retain they got a 5th. That trade was huge.. unbelievable actually considering how difficult it is to move cap.

If we had to move Beauvillier to CGY the cost would be similar to what some of us were saying earlier.  

A good younger guy would have to be added to to Beauvillier to make it happen.. 

From all reports CGY had several offers on table but none that didn't require salary retention or salary coming back.

They wanted the cap flexibility so they can get out of ltir and have space to bring back players in future trades involving Tanev Haiffin and Lindholm 

Someone earlier in the thread said the stars had to align for this trade to come about. I fully agree. Perry situation was the catalyst for all of this...

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, WHL rocks said:

Makes sense that they would be targeting Zadorov becuase the player they really, really need is Tanev. He would stabilize them so much. 

4 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Why not offer up Myers if they’re desperate for D? We can even retain on him.

Shift that money to the top 6.

When everyone is healthy:

Hughes Bear

Zadorov Hronek

Soucy Cole

• ThereItIs 1

5 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Makes sense that they would be targeting Zadorov becuase the player they really, really need is Tanev. He would stabilize them so much. 

They were trying to make a trade for both of them.. 

Trying to put a package together for Tanev and Zad but cap retention was an issue..

CGY needed to move Zad without cap retention to get flexibility and start working on other trades..

I watched Craig Conroy (CGY GM) interview. 

Conroy said CGY paid a 3rd for Zadorov when they acquired him and other teams know that and were offering similar... so he was happy with what he got from Canucks especially not having to retain salary. They wanted to bring up a younger Dman from the farm and have cap flexibility to do deals moving forward. 

Edited by WHL rocks
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Why not offer up Myers if they’re desperate for D? We can even retain on him.

Shift that money to the top 6.

When everyone is healthy:

Hughes Bear

Zadorov Hronek

Soucy Cole

I don't think they want Myers at 3 mill with 50% retained when they can have Tanev. 

Klingberg on LTIR for the rest of season as hes likely getting hip surgery.. Frees up $4. 1 mill. Tanev makes $4.5 mill.

They need a legit 4D not 6D in Myers..

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

They were trying to make a trade for both of them.. 

Trying to put a package together for Tanev and Zad but cap retention was an issue..

CGY needed to move Zad without cap retention to get flexibility and start working on other trades..

I watched Craig Conroy (CGY GM) interview. 

Conroy said CGY paid a 3rd for Zadorov when they acquired him and other teams know that and were offering similar... so he was happy with what he got from Canucks especially not having to retain salary. They wanted to bring up a younger Dman from the farm and have cap flexibility to do deals moving forward. 

Conroy seems like good guy with a tough team situation.
Something rotten on that team, wasn’t just Sutter. 
I think the deal worked out fairly well across all three teams. PA is pushing for playoffs and to build a team that suits more of what he is trying to do. CC needs flexibility to make better deals to move out more of the group of UFAs. Chicago got a winger to fill in while they loose. 

Will be fun to see how Tocc pieces it together on the D and if PA is going to continue his quest for mobile size up into the forward ranks. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

I don't think they want Myers at 3 mill with 50% retained when they can have Tanev. 

Klingberg on LTIR for the rest of season as hes likely getting hip surgery.. Frees up $4. 1 mill. Tanev makes $4.5 mill.

Tanev with retention will cost significantly more though.

Myers is also an upgrade over what they have.

• ThereItIs 1

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Tanev with retention will cost significantly more though.

Myers is also an upgrade over what they have.

Read my previous post again.

The one you quoted.. 

Edited by WHL rocks

8 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Conroy seems like good guy with a tough team situation.
Something rotten on that team, wasn’t just Sutter. 
I think the deal worked out fairly well across all three teams. PA is pushing for playoffs and to build a team that suits more of what he is trying to do. CC needs flexibility to make better deals to move out more of the group of UFAs. Chicago got a winger to fill in while they loose. 

Will be fun to see how Tocc pieces it together on the D and if PA is going to continue his quest for mobile size up into the forward ranks. 

I don't think there is any doubt PA and JR's next goal is a top 6 forward. That's the biggest need on this team now..

I think they'll sign Bear to shore up RD and go hard after a legit top 6 winger. 

2 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

I don't think there is any doubt PA and JR's next goal is a top 6 forward. That's the biggest need on this team now..

I think they'll sign Bear to shore up RD and go hard after a legit top 6 winger. 

Yowzers ... nice and aggressive lol. How are we going to afford all of that? Legitimate question ... how much cap space do we have left? I guess that could be a trade deadline move if we're still in good position come March as well.

28 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Someone earlier in the thread said the stars had to align for this trade to come about. I fully agree. Perry situation was the catalyst for all of this...

Not only perry but Taylor Hall also had season ending knee surgery the same week that the perry circus started.

Talk about luck!

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Coryberg said:

Not only perry but Taylor Hall also had season ending knee surgery the same week that the perry circus started.

Talk about luck!

Yep.. it's was Hall and Perry both being out that made Beauvillier being moved possible. 

They had to get a guy in.

All the stars aligned. 

What a string of events.  Unbelievable. 

Hall gets 1st overall picks to his teams. I think he's at 3 or 4 right now..

Very possible he gets Chicago next years 1st overall too.. 

Edited by WHL rocks
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

12 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

It took him about a year but PA really learned from trader JIm. 
Never static, always moving, just when you think he is going to rest he shakes everything up. 
‘For someone who loves watching the off ice stuff as much as the on, PA has been brilliant.
When he brings in players that don’t work out he somehow moves them for better than expected.

He is never still when nobody else in the league can make a deal PA is moving. 

Up against the cap, pfft. Buy out OEL, sign half a d-core and two bottom 6 centres. 

You knew as soon as Beau moved he would do something and barely took 24 hrs.
That is only predictable thing PA has done. 
‘Don’t know how he can find a way to add another top 6 winger and resign all he needs to but pfft, he is PA he will find a way. 

Edited by DrJockitch
  • Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yowzers ... nice and aggressive lol. How are we going to afford all of that? Legitimate question ... how much cap space do we have left? I guess that could be a trade deadline move if we're still in good position come March as well.

That would have to involve Garland or Myers going out. 

Plus we'd have to add picks and prospects. 

Perhaps stars could align again and a team would take Myers or Garland and we go after a forward on another team like what just happened with Zadorov trade..

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

A trade for Mathieu Oliver might be nice. Add some size to the bottom six. 

Getting a legit top 6 moves DGP to the bottom 6. He'll add hustle some size and high end fore check to the bottom 6. 

I think the goal is to get another high impact winger.  That's the glaring need on this team.. desperately needed..

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

38 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

They only have two NHLers in Brodie and McCabe with Gio out.  They need to bring in more than one blueliner.

44 minutes ago, The Duke said:

Re: Bear and Zadorov i think it’s a case of shiny new toy mixed with the apparently permanent PTSD from the 2011 SCF.

Personally, I’m glad we’re still in the mix on Bear as well, though I’m curious to see his opinion on joining a crowded blue line.

At a glance, Zadorov is what he is - another big left handed 4/5 with some offensive pop but penchant for penalties in the vein of Soucy. Which totally works as a mid season replacement part - and time will tell if it fits longer term.

I’ve said it myself (and Drance of all people alluded to it as well) that his fit is a little awkward if we plan on keeping Cole, who’s been solid taking on more responsibility than he should driving the second pair.  Will be super interesting to see if we play someone on their off hand and how that goes down. 

Oh @The Duke, my PTSD goes way further back than 2011 like to maybe the late sixties, although 2011 is still very raw.

I'm bending a bit on Bear because everybody including PA & Co seem to want him, but I still think I'd rather keep the cap space for other things.

I guess the idea of signing him and then keeping him in reserve as a 8th RD, short term show me contract, no clauses, cheap, etc.

Zadorov is a good fit for us, and we are probably moving on from Cole next year imo.

Cole is needed right now, but by the end of his contract, I hope we are moving on.

I guess at this point, to 'finish up' the D, we're looking for a good 2RD? 

Is PA working on a Big Deal for another Defenceman?  

I hope so, and the better he is, the better :classic_laugh: i.e. not a 5D, not a 3RD, etc.

We still need some deterrent-sized wingers on the 4th line/13th Fwd spots but they shouldn't be too big a cap cost.

The more talented and effective they are, the more return they will require in trades.

Be nice to have Soucy back but I guess it'll be about the end of January for that; in the meantime, l am looking forward to Z at 2LD.

Cheers!  I appreciate your input on here; good stuff.

• Cheers 1