[Trade] Canucks acquire Nikita Zadorov from the Flames

RJCF96

12 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Getting a legit top 6 moves DGP to the bottom 6. He'll add hustle some size and high end fore check to the bottom 6. 

I think the goal is to get another high impact winger.  That's the glaring need on this team.. desperately needed..

Well, let me tell you, that I think they need more grit in the forward corps. 🤣

Honestly, Evander Kane would be a great fit with Miller. Maybe the Oilers want some defensive help? Myers and Friedman should help them.

Edited by PhillipBlunt

1 hour ago, WHL rocks said:

Who ever this Twitter guy is he's a liar. He didn't talk to anyone who covers CGY. In the comments someone asked to disclose who said that. The author said he can't disclose blah blah blah..

The fact is the guy who made those comments was on a podcast. I know because I just watched the podcast and it was pretty much word for word what the guy said..

It's on YouTube.  I watched almost all of the videos on there regarding this trade and one of the videos had a guest from CGY for his input. He said the above. 

Anyways it sounds about right.  We get a great 4/5 dman with size truculence and he's fun to watch. 

Just follow You Tube and you will have fun.Leafs wanted him badly,they say he is shit now.Flames wanted prospect and 2 nd for him ,now he is shit.If he is shit why you wanted him,and how can they ask young player and second for such bad guy.?

• Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, WHL rocks said:

Who ever this Twitter guy is he's a liar. He didn't talk to anyone who covers CGY. In the comments someone asked to disclose who said that. The author said he can't disclose blah blah blah..

The fact is the guy who made those comments was on a podcast. I know because I just watched the podcast and it was pretty much word for word what the guy said..

It's on YouTube.  I watched almost all of the videos on there regarding this trade and one of the videos had a guest from CGY for his input. He said the above. 

Anyways it sounds about right.  We get a great 4/5 dman with size truculence and he's fun to watch. 

Can't fight?  WTH?  Gotta learn.

Start with The Tryamkin:

Hold opponent with one hand stretched out across the rink. 

Shake it like the dirty rat it is. 

When ready, bring the dirty-rat-hand rapidly toward the other hand, which is forming into a fist and heading toward the dirty-rat-shaking hand at 'breakneck' speed. 

Repeat if necessary (usually not required).

And if all else fails, call KB3. 

"Paging Kevin Bieksa, KB3, Kevin Bieksa.. Come on home Kev."

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

PLAYER                          GP  G     A   TP  PIM  +/-

J.T. Miller (C/W)                  24     13    23     36    16      10
Brock Boeser (RW)             24     17     10     27      2       8
Phil Di Giuseppe (LW/RW)  24     3       5      8       15      5

One of these things is not like the others, PDG has been great in the role he has been asked to play but that spot can be upgraded for sure. Garland is the superior player of the two, he just makes 5 times as much. I could see a deadline trade to add a better LW that plays a similar style.   

I agree, but somehow I don't think that will be Phil Kessel, the beer leaguer. :classic_biggrin:

8 hours ago, IBatch said:

Thing is he can also PK.   So when Cole is in the box, we've got another option.   When Soucy or Zadarov are in the box, same thing. 

I will take the heavy hits and physicality over a Rathbone, Bear, AHL revolving door with smaller puny D's, anyday.    QHs said it well, this is something our team lacks.    Friedman playing the left side.   Now when the teams healthy, every single D is NHL caliber.    A lot to like about this.   Hope he works out, and that we can sign him too.    The moneys there.   Another big bite out of the elephant. 

Growing up with the smallest D's on our team guys like Lumme and Aucion..All 6'2-6'3 of them.   Jovo was a smallish D when he arrived lol.   It's sure nice to finally get back to something that works well in the playoffs, no complaints here.

Our team has skilled guys that draw penalties.     IMO we've filled a huge spot.   And the trickle down effect will be felt.    Expect it to take until around Christmas, for Zadarov to settle into his new digs and Tochetts system.   At least a few games anyways.    

Having a 6'6" 250lb beast that can actually play the game and has a bomb of a shot ... is a good thing.  

Teams been playing with one fringe guy all season.   And two since Soucy is out, and well that coincides with our .500 streak.     Zadarov should give this team a big boost.   

For sure, Zadorov being a left-handed penalty machine is a far better problem to have than being forced to ice AHL defencemen.  You are also correct about this team drawing more penalties than taking them.  It's not an exceptional ratio but we are above the league average.  Personally, I'm more excited about the added offense Zadorov brings.  This guy is not afraid to skate coast to coast.  He is just... a very aggressive defenceman who will attack with the puck or attack with his big body.

But I would caution you and anyone else here who looks at this team and immediately thinks playoff success.  Maybe they'll succeed, maybe they won't - I personally think they will.  But we have made the playoffs once in eight years.  The primary focus of the majority of hockey teams today should be to win games on a day-to-day basis and move up in the standings.  Having all the size in the world means jack shit if you fail to qualify for the postseason. 

So the question right now is whether this team is built to win regular season games.  If the team cannot stay out of the penalty box, things are going to get a lot harder with the overall league having a record-high powerplay conversion rate.  There are seven teams (including us) converting powerplays around 25% or higher, which is insane.  It is costlier than ever to take a penalty in the NHL, and it's going to cost us points in a division where the bottom feeders (Oilers, Flames, Kraken) have started to heat up again.  Stay out of the box, let our powerplay cook, and keep banking points.  That should be our gameplan.

5 hours ago, Rick_theRyper said:

I think the drop in the PK has everything to do with Pius Suter being out. We've yet to see both Suter and Blueger both healthy and in the line up full-time that should help a lot. 

Pius Suter is an excellent penalty killer -  there is zero doubt about that.  But you can't blame this dropoff on one guy.  

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

Thanks!  My memory obviously needs fact checking.   So ... is this then the biggest trade ever made with an Alberta team then? 

@Darius mentioned the Reinhart trade.  I think that’s gotta be the biggest one.  It’s not an easy thing to look up (for me anyways lol) so I stand to be corrected.

• Cheers 1

44 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

I don't think there is any doubt PA and JR's next goal is a top 6 forward. That's the biggest need on this team now..

I think they'll sign Bear to shore up RD and go hard after a legit top 6 winger. 

Alex Tuch 

don’t tell @Sabrefan1 though 😅

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Dizzle said:

this is crazy considering what we were running last year. 

Absolutely amazing how much JR and PA accomplished in such a short time period..

Someone earlier posted last year's D roster vs this year's.. 

The level of change and improvement is astounding. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Haha. Love me some Lawson Crouse. Unfortunately, I don’t think Arizona is trading him. IF they were to trade him, it’s probably our 2024 1st, Podkolzin and Höglander.  

But hey, maybe Allvin can get him for Akito Hirose and Noah Juulsen.  🥹

I don't think they are trading him either, hence the: a "Crouse" in my post. But there's no reason we can't target a similar player should we free up ~$4m by moving Myers. Or heck, maybe we package Garland + AND use the freed Myers cap (total ~$8m) to REALLY add.

Bear + any of the possibilities it frees up >>> Myers.

• Upvote 1

I like the trade, but after sitting on it for a while, I wonder what the ideal pairings are?

I think realistically Zadorov, Cole, and Soucy all sort of do the same thing, 4/5's who can play physical, decently move the puck, and play somewhat well defensively, but I don't see either of the three as true top 4 dman on their own. All of them can play the right side, but ideally, they aren't right side defenders.

I like Zadorov's edge and physical profile, but when he was elevated higher up the lineup to play top 4 minutes, he struggled mightily in CGY. Even in Colorado, he just didn't seem well adept to be in that position, but plays well within himself as a number 5 guy. He can also be very chaotic defensively himself, like our own chaos giraffe, Zadorov has his moments too because he chases the big hit and gets out of position. 

Now that you have 3 essentially 4/5 guys, I wonder if they can handle collectively together 18ish minutes each, and perhaps that can suffice even if they aren't true top 4 dman in their own respect.

Edited by CRAZY_4_NAZZY
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Chon derry said:

Back in the late 70s when I was still a shit disturbing teen , trelivings dad , the guy from dragons den was an rcmp here in Rupert. This guy was the biggest Ahole this town has ever seen. Therefore his son is one too. :classic_laugh:

I hate to think what that says about Brett Hull.

5 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

If you aren’t dealing with Hughes/Hronek then you’re dealing with perhaps the most physically intimidating bottom four in the league.

I think I can live with this! 😎

The 3 giants cover so much ice just with their size.

Plus they aren't pilons. They can skate. Be physical and clear the crease. 

That's a lot to deal with for opposing forwards. There will always be a giant on the ice and Zad will keep them honest coming up thru the neutral zone or they'll get hit hard into another dimension .. 

This just gives Tocchet so many options. 

I'm so excited to see how the team is once Soucy is back. I wanna see them all on the ice healthy.  By then Bear should be back signed too. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

16 hours ago, RomanPer said:

I strongly recommend everyone to find 2 hours to watch this very interesting video with Zadorov. It’s in Russian but you can turn on English subtitles. You will like the new kid even more:

The disclaimer says its made by a foreign agent... clearly a propaganda piece 😉

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Bear doesn't really free up Myers.  The point to getting Bear is to add depth to the right side.  By trading Myers you are doing the opposite and are forced to use Friedman/Juulsen in the playoffs.  Ideally, you sign Bear and then are 7 deep.

Hughes    Hronek

Zadorov   Cole

Soucy      Myers

Bear

Also, Bear is coming off a serious injury, so I highly doubt he will be more effective than Myers.  Myers in the playoffs is exactly what we need to go up against Vegas.

If Allvin is targeting a top 6 winger, then he most certainly is going to look for an opportunity where he can fleece the other team.  As for moving cap, Garland would be the ideal player to move to acquire cap space.  That way we get him off the books next year too.  

I actually envision re-signing Myers to a 2 year deal at around $2-2.5 million.  That's enough time until Willander is ready to take his place.  We probably go out and get another RHD in the summer as well.  Someone who's an upgrade on Bear/Friedman/Juulsen to play with Zadorov...

Excellent post. 

I don't know why so many people keep posting about moving Myers..

We need more RD not less. And Bear is an addition we need not replacement for moving Myers out..

I also think Myers re signs in summer approximately $2 - $2.5 mill on a 2 year deal..

Garland + + for a top 6 winger and sign Bear.. that's the goal for rest of season. 

Again, great post. 

Edited by WHL rocks
  • Cheers 2