[Trade] Canucks acquire Nikita Zadorov from the Flames

RJCF96

20 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

I agree, but somehow I don't think that will be Phil Kessel, the beer leaguer. :classic_biggrin:

We talking about the Legend Phil "The Thrill" Kessel. 

-owns the longest NHL iron man streak in NHL history

-most hotdogs eaten in NHL in history

-3 time Stanley Cup champion 

He might get picked last in Allstar games but not in our hearts. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Excellent post. 

I don't know why so many people keep posting about moving Myers..

We need more RD not less. And Bear is an add we need not replacement for moving Myers out..

I also think Myers re signs in summer doe $2 - $2.5 mill on a 2 year deal..

Garland + + for a top 6 winger and sign Bear.. that's the goal for rest of season. 

Again, great post. 

If Allvin can get Lawson Crouse out of Arizona and to Vancouver, they should put a statue of him in front of Rogers Arena...

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

16 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

I like the trade, but after sitting on it for a while, I wonder what the ideal pairings are?

I think realistically Zadorov, Cole, and Soucy all sort of do the same thing, 4/5's who can play physical, decently move the puck, and play somewhat well defensively, but I don't see either of the three as true top 4 dman on their own. All of them can play the right side, but ideally, they aren't right side defenders.

I like Zadorov's edge and physical profile, but when he was elevated higher up the lineup to play top 4 minutes, he struggled mightily in CGY. Even in Colorado, he just didn't seem well adept to be in that position, but plays well within himself as a number 5 guy. He can also be very chaotic defensively himself, like our own chaos giraffe, Zadorov has his moments too because he chases the big hit and gets out of position. 

Now that you have 3 essentially 4/5 guys, I wonder if they can handle collectively together 18ish minutes each, and perhaps that can suffice even if they aren't true top 4 dman in their own respect.

Possibly Foote and Gonchar may be able to get him to acclimate better. 

18 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Bear doesn't really free up Myers.  The point to getting Bear is to add depth to the right side.  By trading Myers you are doing the opposite and are forced to use Friedman/Juulsen in the playoffs.  Ideally, you sign Bear and then are 7 deep.

Hughes    Hronek

Zadorov   Cole

Soucy      Myers

Bear

Also, Bear is coming off a serious injury, so I highly doubt he will be more effective than Myers.  Myers in the playoffs is exactly what we need to go up against Vegas.

If Allvin is targeting a top 6 winger, then he most certainly is going to look for an opportunity where he can fleece the other team.  As for moving cap, Garland would be the ideal player to move to acquire cap space.  That way we get him off the books next year too.  

I actually envision re-signing Myers to a 2 year deal at around $2-2.5 million.  That's enough time until Willander is ready to take his place.  We probably go out and get another RHD in the summer as well.  Someone who's an upgrade on Bear/Friedman/Juulsen to play with Zadorov...

Zadorov already replaces Myers "needed" size, in a younger, cheaper, better, meaner player. We could actually use another puck mover (Bear) in the mix of those bottom two pairs. 

Myers is redundant, inefficient cap.

You can also likely pick up another, cheaper RD at the TDL to fill in the depth. Or maybe with all that space we go after a guy like Zub (as another poster suggested elsewhere) with that cap space.

Move Myers and Garland, add a "Zub" and a "Crouse"...WINNING

As for re-signing Myers, I'd far, FAR rather target Tanev as a stop gap.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Possibly Foote and Gonchar may be able to get him to acclimate better. 

We need depth.  We need a strong 3rd pair to have success. 

I expect him to be a top tier 5D I'm very happy about that.. 

He's another Soucy with added ability to make bone crushing hits and keep guys honest in the neutral zone. 

With Soucy injured our D depth got exposed. There are always injuries.  When Soucy gets back another guy might be out.. 

So we need 7 legit NHL Dmen and once we sign Bear we will have that.

• Like 1

Just now, WHL rocks said:

We need depth.  We need a strong 3rd pair to have success. 

I expect him to be a top tier 5D I'm very happy about that.. 

He's another Soucy with added ability to make bone crushing hits and keep guys honest in the neutral zone. 

With Soucy injured our D depth got exposed. There are always injuries.  When Soucy gets back another guy might be out.. 

So we need 7 legit NHL Dmen and once we sign Bear we will have that.

Hughes - Hronek

Soucy - Zadorov

Cole - Myers

Bear

is pretty frickin good. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Zadorov already replaces Myers "needed" size, in a younger, cheaper, better, meaner player. We could actually use another puck mover (Bear) in the mix of those bottom two pairs. 

Myers is redundant, inefficient cap.

You can also likely pick up another, cheaper RD at the TDL to fill in the depth. Or maybe with all that space we go after a guy like Zub (as another poster suggested elsewhere) with that cap space.

Move Myers and Garland, add a "Zub" and a "Crouse"...WINNING

As for re-signing Myers, I'd far, FAR rather target Tanev as a stop gap.

Zad is LD. He can spot duty as RD but not full time. Especially in the playoffs. 

You'll need to eat $3 mill cap if you move Myers. 

Then you'll have to trade for another RD and use the $3 mill you have + pay picks/prospects  to obtain him. 

No point doing that. 

Only way it works is if someone takes Myers as part of package for top 6 winger and we don't retain. In that case we would have to pay thru the roof...

$6 mill salary dump is no easy task. Everything needs to be considered when asking for things pike this..  

Edited by WHL rocks
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

We talking about the Legend Phil "The Thrill" Kessel. 

-owns the longest NHL iron man streak in NHL history

-most hotdogs eaten in NHL in history

-3 time Stanley Cup champion 

He might get picked last in Allstar games but not in our hearts. 

Kessel might have the most hot dogs eaten all time but if you look at hot dogs per game former Canuck Vladimir Krutov has him beat by a fair margin! 

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Zad is LD. He can spot duty as RD but not full time. Especially in the playoffs. 

You'll need to eat $3 mill cap if you move Myers. 

Then you'll have to trade for another RD and use the $3 mill you have + pay picks/prospects  to obtain him. 

No point doing that. 

Only way it works is if someone takes Myers as part of package for top 6 winger and we don't retain. In that case we would have to pay thru the roof...

$6 mill salary dump is no easy task. Everything needs to be considered when asking for things pike this..  

Explained this yesterday. We retain $2m, a 3rd team retains another $2m for a mid-late pick. With the way his deal is structured, it will only be a couple hundred K of actual salary for them. Playoff team adds him for $2m prorated cap.

Voila, $4m in cap space (and possibly even a meagre asset in return).

Then go use that $4m space to add a "Crouse" or a "Zub".

And even then, a #6/7 RHD at the TDL isn't going to cost $3m in cap.

Bear + cap space/opportunity >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Myers

Edited by aGENT

12 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Hughes - Hronek

Soucy - Zadorov

Cole - Myers

Bear

is pretty frickin good. 

Thats right. 

Hence the reason Zadorov doesn't replace Myers. Not only because Zad isn't a RD but also because we need all of them.  

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Thats right. 

Hence the reason Zadorov doesn't replace Myers. Not only because Zad isn't a RD but also because we need all of them.  

Well, from a prototype standpoint, Zadorov does replace the size Myers brings, and provides far more threatening and consistent physicality. I think that if Myers was traded and Bear was signed, the team wouldn't necessarily regress much. 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Doesn't seem long ago (a few months?) the Canucks needed everything except goaltending, especially help on D. Team has been transformed and I think all they're missing is a Top 6 forward with some size/grit.

In addition to bringing in another Top 6 forward, it would be kind if sneaky good if Allvin signed Kessel for a million bucks at the TDL, for the final stretch and their playoff run.