[Trade] Canucks acquire Nikita Zadorov from the Flames

RJCF96

1 minute ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

Many small guys and smaller than Garland have done just fine come playoff time.

Thats more an old school train of thought that is less and less relevant as the years go by.

Smaller guys need way more character to withstand the pounding - it’s all attitude it’s all mental at that point…

3 hours ago, billydakid said:

The issue here is, seldom does the team moving the more talented player win a trade. I can't see who we would trade Petey for who's at the same stage etc that is as good and available. To me the bigger issue is he seems to be quite focused on maximizing his value financially (which all players do) but are his 90 points worth 11 million. And are his 90 points worth the same as Quinn's? Because Quinn is setting himself up for a similar number but I would argue he's bringing more to the table.

My take is, if you're going to pay someone 11 mil, they better damn well be able to drive play in the tough games.

The playoffs this year may tell us alot about Petey's $$. Because if he isn't leading they way, no way is he worth that kind of money.

Yeah Petey has got to suck it up get mentally tough or get shipped out for someone who has the character perseverance mental toughness killer instinct that can carry this team throughout the playoffs…

The $99 question is will Pettersson become that player? If he won’t (and we don’t know for sure) then we should probably try to trade them for somebody who is… Or two players who are…

The thing is the Sedins never got tough till they were 26 or 27 I believe

And then in the finals they caved in

Edited by I.AM.THE.WALRUS
  • Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Goal_thecup said:

He's been up on the top lines but still doesn't score.

If we're keeping any little guys they need to score.  Look at anyone over the years: Ronning StLouis Savard in fact, name a famous little guy who didn't score.

On top of that, he gets bowled over and even though he twists and turns and is good at that, he eventually loses due to being physically overwhelmed or shooting off his muffin.

Höglander is about my cut-off point and he's built like a half-ton 4x4; and he scores.

Now if Garland could fight like Rick Rypien that would be different, and something to see!

I think we could get something back for Garland with no retention and I would take darn near anything for the cap, the term, and the roster position. 

Yeah Garlic has gotta go

Huge cap it For what he brings… Benning’s worst decision maybe? 0EL and Garlic

Edited by I.AM.THE.WALRUS
  • Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Dizzle said:

Garland is a great third line guy. Forechecks hard, gets under the oppositions skin, draws penalties, chips in offensively. 

He’s definitely paid too much for what he brings to this team though. Should be around 3.25-3.5. 

Motte was great in that role but when he wanted more he went to another club.

Bottom six should be max 2 mill to have the cap space for top 6 and the top D.

• Like 1

He’s labelled as a #5 based off of his minutes. Except, he has a pretty wild set of intangibles. Giant crease clearer that can skate, 14 goal scorer playing bottom pairing minutes, and make momentum swinging hits.

Plus, he wants to be a Canuck and plays a position that is a massive need for the team.

Another move that only makes sense. Confidence in this management group keeps growing.

Edited by ManbeastMARK
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1

7 hours ago, billydakid said:

My bet is they hope is Podz is able to take over Garland's role next year, making him expendable...right now he is a very valuable part of our team. Our third line has been consistently excellent this year, and he's a big part of it.

Pods yes. Garland we’ve been trying to dumperoo for a long time. 

11 hours ago, Dizzle said:

played 182 games with the Canucks and put up 105 points. That’s just shy of 50 points a year. 

Realistically… those are probably 2nd line numbers (although I really don’t like Garland as a top 6 guy). I think it’s hard to say a guy like that isn’t worth at least 3. 

32 teams = 192 top-six spots, and Garland's 105 points in his time here is 124th among NHL forwards. His point production since he joined the Canucks is unquestionably 2nd line level. As a matter of fact his production is closer to first line numbers than it is to third line numbers. Anybody claiming he is only worth a couple million per year is being extremely unrealistic.

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

11 hours ago, Dizzle said:

played 182 games with the Canucks and put up 105 points. That’s just shy of 50 points a year. 

Realistically… those are probably 2nd line numbers (although I really don’t like Garland as a top 6 guy). I think it’s hard to say a guy like that isn’t worth at least 3. 

and look at what percentage of those points are against non playoff teams.. and then look at his +/- vs the playoff teams... in his only playoff appearance.. they reduced his ice time from the regular season average to even less than his rookie season.. thats how effective he is in the playoffs.. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Sativika said:

Not so. Zad's a LHD. Bear's RHD. Possible 3rd Canuck pairing? It could work. It's a scenario not un-common in hockey; big physical dude paired with smaller offensive puck mover type.  I won't list any, but there's many examples of such throughout the NHL, past and present. Even Huggy's past partners; Schenn, Tanev!

Had Bear not been injured in the worlds, he'd've been part of the roster automatically, (As touched on by Mike Vanderhoek below.) and Juulsen/Wolanin still as depth call ups; as they still are.

Is it because of his shoulder injury from playing for Canada in last years Worlds that we devalue him? I mean, dudes cap was $2.2mil before his unfortunate injury. So because of such, not getting resigned, let go by us and mired in a scenario of an uncertain future? It's not his fault he got injured.  Be that as it may, if he's okay with a pay cut of that magnitude, then so be it. Seems unfair though. Especially when it appeared he was to be part of our future by the management.

Yea. I'm sure management knows this and are keeping phone lines open. Truthfully I don't think we're in a position to go all in for Stanley Cup contention yet. I seem to recall Management's plan for this season was to get in the playoffs and maybe do some damage to opposing playoff teams; win a round or two. Definitely looking as if that'll come to fruition for sure.

As mentioned above; sure. Why not! Bear's age fits the age profile set by management's plans. What is he...25? 26? 

Sure. a mil is a no brainer, but sh*t. Dude's not on a PTO! I guess your all thinking a show me type contract after injury. But jeez! How unfair, man!

Garland good. We keep.

Garland no go. We keep. Much money. Hard we move no can do. 

Go Canuck Go.

No.  No to Garland.  No to Bear.  IMO.

Fair only counts in pre-school; after that it's dog-eat-dog.

• Vintage 1

4 hours ago, ManbeastMARK said:

He’s labelled as a #5 based off of his minutes. Except, he has a pretty wild set of intangibles. Giant crease clearer that can skate, 14 goal scorer playing bottom pairing minutes, and make momentum swinging hits.

Plus, he wants to be a Canuck and plays a position that is a massive need for the team.

Another move that only makes sense. Confidence in this management group keeps growing.

IMO Canucks should play out December with the current group. Gives Zadorov time to fit in and be evaluated. Soucy likely returns towards the end of the month. 

Canucks are now the 3rd biggest d-core in the NHL. It will take some time for Foote and Gonchar to work some magic. What they have done for Juulson to date is impressive. Whether with Van or not Noah Jullson will have an NHL career. Just imagine the Canucks icing Zadorov-Cole-Soucy-Juulson in a game. All big boys who like to bang. If Meyers joins the group opposing teams will be crapping their drawers. They had better ask Lui where the cans are?

• Cheers 2

13 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Freaking Bam Bam over here

That was all in just one game... 

He doled out more punishment in just 1 game than many players do in a whole season.  

I love this clip and NZK!  (Nikita Zadorov Kanuck)

So looking forward to tonight's game.  

D is finally solid (and a wee bitty mean).

Look out Cow-Poke(r)s!!

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, I.AM.THE.WALRUS said:

Yeah Petey has got to suck it up get mentally tough or get shipped out for someone who has the character perseverance mental toughness killer instinct that can carry this team throughout the playoffs…

The $99 question is will Pettersson become that player? If he won’t (and we don’t know for sure) then we should probably try to trade them for somebody who is… Or two players who are…

The thing is the Sedins never got tough till they were 26 or 27 I believe

And then in the finals they caved in

I personally would prefer a #1 Center like Linden, who didn't score a lot of points in the regular season but was a different beast in the playoffs. If that player doesn't have the size, then they need to have the mental toughness to overcome the tighter checking and extra attention they are going to receive.

I know, a rare commodity , but I am not sure Petey is that guy or not, and if not, it could be an expensive experiment that would hold this team back for a long time. 

That is why I thought it was essential to keep Miller, as he is closer to that player that will come in handy and make us more successful in the post season.

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

11 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

I personally would prefer a #1 Center like Linden, who didn't score a lot of points in the regular season but was a different beast in the playoffs. If that player doesn't have the size, then they need to have the mental toughness to overcome the tighter checking and extra attention they are going to receive.

I know, a rare commodity , but I am not sure Petey is that guy or not, and if not, it could be an expensive experiment that would hold this team back for a long time. 

That is why I thought it was essential to keep Miller, as he is closer to that player that will come in handy and make us more successful in the post season.

Peteys  assessing his own worth this season for his new contract. His recent play doesn’t bode well for this 11 mil figure I’m reading about. It might turn into another horvat situation. He priced himself right off the team , given the pace he was on. Glad it was Lou lam that had to deal with that. The 2 things that worry me about Petey. The cost and his durability. Combined it could be a headache. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

One would think this season, last season, and the one before that, and every single season ever in Canucks history would've taught you that you can never have too many defencemen on your roster.

Redundancy is depth.  And depth is wins in the NHL.

But then having too many of the same type is the question, plus with a shoulder injury he can't hit anymore. ( or won't be able to)  Why take a chance on a 6-8 level defenseman. We could use that 2.2M elsewhere. 

Bear is not heads above Wolanin, Juulsen, Brisebois.  He's not a crease clearing guy. He had only 3 goals in 61 games last year so offense is limited. Not a fighter. So I think we already have enough Bear types of guys.

• Upvote 1