[Trade] Canucks acquire Nikita Zadorov from the Flames

RJCF96

9 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

Ahh Tryamkin.  What a waste of talent.  One promising season in the NHL, a decent one in the K and then nothing.

And here we are with Zadorov who is basically what Tryamkin should have been, so alls well that ends well I guess.

Interesting to see Pedan putting up much stronger (PPG/offensive at least) numbers than Tryamkin in the K.

Edited by The Duke
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Not gonna hold my breath on it but man wouldn't it be great if a pairing of Z and Choas actually gels well and could become a second pairing going forward?

It would bolster that third pair .. Soucy and Cole one can hope.

Gotta think Myers be cheap to resign and hold out for D Petey and Willander

Just a random thought ...

Let's Get it boys!!!

• Cheers 1

On 12/1/2023 at 12:05 PM, PhillipBlunt said:

I think that the Canucks will seek to sign Zadorov to an extension after about 10 games or so, once he clicks with a d partner. This is probably writing on the wall for Myers. His size has been replaced by a much tougher and more consistent player. He's not going to be in the team's plans going forward unless he signs for bottom pairing money ($1-2M). 

Wouldn't be remotely surprised to see Myers back at 2-3M tbh, makes a lot of sense for both sides

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Wouldn't be remotely surprised to see Myers back at 2-3M tbh, makes a lot of sense for both sides

He’s a great placeholder for Willander over 2 years if we can keep him in the 2s.  

Saw recently he’d come in a little above 3 on the market, though, so it’ll be an interesting situation to monitor along with Hronek, Zadorov and Cole.

8 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

No. No..... No.

Myers will be moved by the TDL.

So you keep telling me, time will tell. 

4 minutes ago, The Duke said:

He’s a great placeholder for Willander over 2 years if we can keep him in the 2s.  

Saw recently he’d come in a little above 3 on the market, though, so it’ll be an interesting situation to monitor along with Hronek, Zadorov and Cole.

Particularly if you look at Zadorov as more of a Cole replacement than a Myers replacement. Only D we have signed with term are Hughes and Soucy, Hronek will be re-upped, Zadorov likely gets done too. Not so sure about Cole though, he's been very good for us but he'll also be 35 in February. 

You could theoretically re-sign Myers and still bring Tanev back.

Hughes-Hronek

Zadorov-Tanev

Soucy-Myers

Only guys who'd probably make more than 5.5M would be Hughes and Hronek imo. Could be a cost effective D with size, some offensive flair, and some steady defensive play. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

17 minutes ago, The Duke said:

Rather sign Tanev, Lyubushkin etc. Or even better, trade for someone.

21 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

No. No..... No.

Myers will be moved by the TDL.

Not sure why so many seen scared of continuing to improve the roster...?

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Dunno. Extending Myers is a mystery to me.

I mean I'm not ENTIRELY opposed to bringing him back in the summer should they exhaust other avenues first and it makes sense. But otherwise we should be aiming higher IMO. And regardless, I try to move him at the TDL.

A "Hronek" type trade for a young guy, or free agent Pesce at the top end, or shorter term solutions like Tanev, Lyubushkin, Hakanpaa would all be preferable.

Edited by aGENT
  • ThereItIs 1

On 12/1/2023 at 2:06 AM, Biff Tannen said:

Does your opinion of the trade really need its own thread? Not a fan of the vague clickbaity title either, my fault for biting but I can't resist a mystery box.

Guess you haven't been a fan very long, we've been in this position before, Zadorov as he is today on the blue line in 2012 and we might very well have a cup, we had toughness but no depth as usual.. Same as 94.. We need all the help we can get and not soft help either, obviously he's going to help come post season but the fact remains, soft teams get nowhere, the playoffs are to brutal for that, do we still need depth? Of course but imo, yes please on more toughness as long as whoever isn't a smaller player, we can have some but it has to be balanced, best balanced team in the NHL with depth, always walks off with Lord Stanley, I'm tired of it not being us.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, iceman1964 said:

Guess you haven't been a fan very long, we've been in this position before, Zadorov as he is today on the blue line in 2012 and we might very well have a cup, we had toughness but no depth as usual.. Same as 94.. We need all the help we can get and not soft help either, obviously he's going to help come post season but the fact remains, soft teams get nowhere, the playoffs are to brutal for that, do we still need depth? Of course but imo, yes please on more toughness as long as whoever isn't a smaller player, we can have some but it has to be balanced, best balanced team in the NHL with depth, always walks off with Lord Stanley, I'm tired of it not being us.

Eh?

My comment was about you starting a new thread when one wasn't needed. I see it's now been merged here so that's good. My issue wasn't with your view of the trade, just your inflated sense of self importance. If everyone created a new thread every time they had a half arsed opinion CFF would quickly become unmanageable.

I've been a fan since the early 90s, though I'm not sure what that has to do with anything either.

• Cheers 1

What is the long term vision of RT & PA for their d-core? My suspicion is that they would want to split Huggy and Hronek. Two play drivers on different pairings changes how Van can sustain o-zone play. They have had enough TOI together this fall that they can be brought back together when needed. Can Zad play 2LD on a consistent basis? Soucy was earlier can he play 2LD? Does another top 4 d-man have to come in to make this all work? 

Garland could easily still be moved. What's the old adage, 'sell on strength'. Garland's Corsi numbers are solid. It is always about what comes back. Garland usually ups his play in big games. Does that carry the day in retention or does PA think he has someone in Abby who he can add? Bains? 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

What is the long term vision of RT & PA for their d-core? My suspicion is that they would want to split Huggy and Hronek. Two play drivers on different pairings changes how Van can sustain o-zone play. They have had enough TOI together this fall that they can be brought back together when needed. Can Zad play 2LD on a consistent basis? Soucy was earlier can he play 2LD? Does another top 4 d-man have to come in to make this all work? 

Garland could easily still be moved. What's the old adage, 'sell on strength'. Garland's Corsi numbers are solid. It is always about what comes back. Garland usually ups his play in big games. Does that carry the day in retention or does PA think he has someone in Abby who he can add? Bains? 

I think we need another top 4, maybe two

From what I've read Flames fans refer to him as more of a 5, saw him described as Phaneuf lite, and really, when you consider who else Calgary have on D, he probably was a 5

Now, one can write that off as Flames fans being salty, and some are, but the price we paid also indicates he's probably viewed as a bottom pairing D 

Cole isn't a long term fit, hard to say whether Soucy and Zad are top 4 quality even though we miss Soucy

I'm off the opinion that the entire second pairing should be viewed as being in flux

Edited by Coconuts
  • Like 1