[Trade] Canucks acquire Nikita Zadorov from the Flames

RJCF96

2 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

To me this trade made sense for us.

Now we have a full NHL D with 3 extra D that can step in with injuries.

Bear should not be signed as there is no room for him except the press box. Friedman and others have played better then Bear so far and now will be extras.

Best thing now is to figure out a way to upgrade the forwards with a trade.

I’m not a Bear fan, but would be happy to see us sign him for minimal dollars. Not sure where he slots with Friedman and Juuls.  I don’t think he’s necessarily better than either of them, or brings the preferred intangibles as a bottom pairing fill in. He’s able to play up the lineup though and eat a few more minutes if injuries really hit.  

Sign him and send him to Abby - hopefully no one puts a claim in as he’d need some conditioning time. Give him a chance to get up to game speed over a couple months. He won’t be nhl ready anytime soon, but might be a useful piece in the last couple months of the season.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RinkonRenfrew said:

I’m not a Bear fan, but would be happy to see us sign him for minimal dollars. Not sure where he slots with Friedman and Juuls.  I don’t think he’s necessarily better than either of them, or brings the preferred intangibles as a bottom pairing fill in. He’s able to play up the lineup though and eat a few more minutes if injuries really hit.  

Sign him and send him to Abby - hopefully no one puts a claim in as he’d need some conditioning time. Give him a chance to get up to game speed over a couple months. He won’t be nhl ready anytime soon, but might be a useful piece in the last couple months of the season.  

That's it he will want to be in the NHL so sure he would sign elsewhere.

29 minutes ago, RinkonRenfrew said:

Tanev and to a lesser degree Bear would both look good here. Neither gives us that dynamic second pair though unless the idea is to play Hronek on the second pair.

This team is missing one more difference maker on the d core (and a rugged top 6 winger). Pesce would be awesome- and i agree that a trade is the likely only route to secure someone. If petey and demko are playing at their top level it probably doesn’t matter, but that’s not really a plan. 

Garland, Myers, and to a lesser extend Kuz are our inefficient salary though all are playing fine and i like them. just a little overpaid for what they’re delivering right now. 

Pretty great situation that we’re talking about having too many quality players signed and wanting to be here. This is the first time in a long time that there isn’t someone i want to see gone and would be happy to see replaced by an ahl journeyman.

Yea if we can find a way to move Garland we're set 

4 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

That's it he will want to be in the NHL so sure he would sign elsewhere.

Yeah, that’ll be his choice. I’m rooting for him and if that’s what he thinks is best for himself, and it’d be hard to argue against, then so be it and i’ll still cheer him on.

I don’t think Vancouver is a bad option though. He really wasn’t wanted anywhere last year, and he likely gets a chance to showcase himself here this year at some point if he signs, albeit in a limited depth role.

His next contract (next year) is what he should be concerned about. If it’s between regular minutes on a bottom team before he’s up to speed or a 5-10 game run here where he can maybe showcase himself better. Hard choice. He’s probably near league minimum either way. But I’d take the chance to show I can play on a competitor if it was me.

13 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Yea if we can find a way to move Garland we're set 

I’ve really like his play this year. It would be sad to see him go. But yeah, he’s the next obvious one to move to improve the team. If only he was signed for 3 million.

I think he has to go in the off season for cap reasons, so if something that doesn’t cost too much comes along this season that improves us, then pull the trigger.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

Honestly I don’t see us going for a high profile top 4 anymore. With the way hronek is playing he easily working himself into the 8-9mil contract range especially if he finish the season at the current ppg range.. simply don’t see how the Canucks can afford another 6mil ish defenceman at that point.. between hronek hughes that’s already almost more than what teams pay the top 3 defenceman.. I can already see the Canucks leading the league in how much they pay their defence next season even without pesce. 

hronek 8-9

hughes 7.8

soucy 3.25

zadorov 4ish

top 4 ???

Bottom 2???

im not sure how much Cole have left in the tank.. I don’t think we can afford another top 4 that’s more than 5mil at most.. 4 if I have a say.. if we don’t keep Cole.. unless they split up Hughes and hronek as a pair.. we are way too top heavy given how much Hughes and hronek is going to be paid.. if we signed hronek last summer in the 6-7 range then ya we can go for a big fish.. but if we end up with hronek at 8-9 mil i think we are out of the running for any of the top 4 this summer.

I agree.  Hronek will be at minimum $7.5 million, could be higher.  Hughes will be at $12 million+ in a few years.  Zadorov will most likely be re-signed at around $4 million.  So we don't have the room for another $6 million+ Dman.  I am hoping Willander makes the jump next season.  If he does, we have him for less than a million for 3 years.  And he should be in our top 4 in 2-3 years maximum.  So, I think we can just get someone to fill in the top 4 until Willander is ready.  If Willander isn't ready, then I can see us re-signing Myers for a year or two.

I would still be interested in Andrew Peeke.  I think we could get him for a late pick or B prospect at this point.  He could be a decent filler on the right side until Willander is ready and play on the 3rd pairing afterwards.  He's an upgrade on Friedman and Juulsen and has played 21 minutes a night for 2 years...

• Vintage 1

20 minutes ago, CurtFraser24 said:

Canucks finally got a player who will fight the ones who roughs up Demko and the smaller Canucks.  

didn’t happen last night, but i’m looking forward to when he does. He should make everyone feel a little bigger, a little tougher, so hopefully that size percolates down the lineup.  If he really wanted to endear himself to us, he’d have rag-dolled coleman last night.  Nothing was egregious against us, so i guess job well done.

• Cheers 1

On 12/3/2023 at 3:07 AM, Biff Tannen said:

Eh?

My comment was about you starting a new thread when one wasn't needed. I see it's now been merged here so that's good. My issue wasn't with your view of the trade, just your inflated sense of self importance. If everyone created a new thread every time they had a half arsed opinion CFF would quickly become unmanageable.

I've been a fan since the early 90s, though I'm not sure what that has to do with anything either.

Let me address those 2 points, how do you get self inflated about talking about the more need for toughness after watching our softer teams get turfed 1st round, not enough toughness to win a cup, and number 2 is if you have watched as long as the 90's that's enough to know it's been a problem, and when we were close to getting enough in the roster, we never had any in depth, year after year after year of it since 1974 has become a "bit" tiring don't you think with zero results all because of this very topic of Zadorov, and I'm hardly the only one, lots of us have been talking about this for years on the cdc, hence the excitement that didn't work out in Tryamkin, but it was fun watching him leveling people and taking on anyone who pissed him off and the sedin battering completely stopped after that, and that's just a single instance.

If you like a soft team that's seasonally awesome then beat into submission in the first round, whatever but there you go, it wasn't just Zadorov but the style of player he is and I don't give a F if you take it the way your taking it, that's on you, but that was the reason I posted that and if you don't believe it, whatever.. lol 

Edited by iceman1964
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I agree.  Hronek will be at minimum $7.5 million, could be higher.  Hughes will be at $12 million+ in a few years.  Zadorov will most likely be re-signed at around $4 million.  So we don't have the room for another $6 million+ Dman.  I am hoping Willander makes the jump next season.  If he does, we have him for less than a million for 3 years.  And he should be in our top 4 in 2-3 years maximum.  So, I think we can just get someone to fill in the top 4 until Willander is ready.  If Willander isn't ready, then I can see us re-signing Myers for a year or two.

I would still be interested in Andrew Peeke.  I think we could get him for a late pick or B prospect at this point.  He could be a decent filler on the right side until Willander is ready and play on the 3rd pairing afterwards.  He's an upgrade on Friedman and Juulsen and has played 21 minutes a night for 2 years...

FWIW, nobody was suggesting paying someone more than $6m 😉

• Jess unpinned and unfeatured this topic
1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

that's why i would like to see hronek and hughes split.. and somehow find a complimentary partner for both of them. majority of our ev contribution is from hronek at 17.. the rest of the bottom 4 combined for 18.. with myers leading the way at 10 and the rest are at like 3 or less.. offensively all the lines are suffering when hughes and hronek are not on the ice.. we need some balance on the defence.. right now it's way too top heavy

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

New management has planned out our cap allocations really well. Petey and Hronek will get well deserved pay bumps. Likely 11 and 7.5. But one thing Benning did good was signing Hughes to under 8 for six years. Still three more years (after this one) on that deal. We pretty much have the best D in hockey at a steal. Like you say, Hughes is a 12 mil player we have for under 8. With Hughes getting that cap hit and Miller at only 8, it will keep other players’ deals at lower numbers too. And to compensate for the OEL buyout we will have guys like Willander and D Petey pushing into the lineup on ELCs. Then there’s Lekerimacki too. And Pods. Aman, Bains, and the list of young talent pushing in the next couple to three years just looks great. Elite core and young guys pushing. Recipe for a long run of winning. Cups coming. 

Lekkerimaki is the next Naslund.  Willander is the next McAvoy.  Imagine adding those two players to the current roster at minimum wage?  Exciting times ahead, and like you said several cups coming our way...

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Your #1 offseason signing is Brett Pesce.  He will come in over $6 million.  Plus he will want a 6-7 year deal.  We don't need him really.  We only need a placeholder until Willander is ready to play top 4 minutes in 2-3 years...

Can he get $6m? Probably somewhere. Probably not a good team. He's not my only target. And I already said I'd only sign him to a reasonable deal.

Edited by aGENT

1 hour ago, stawns said:

I don't think he's much of a fighter

I can't believe you would say something so ridiculous without even looking it up.  Such laziness.

The guy has a pretty formidable fight pedigree.  He has fought 10 times in five years.  He has fought Lucic.  Benn.  Ian Cole!  

48 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

that's why i would like to see hronek and hughes split.. and somehow find a complimentary partner for both of them. majority of our ev contribution is from hronek at 17.. the rest of the bottom 4 combined for 18.. with myers leading the way at 10 and the rest are at like 3 or less.. offensively all the lines are suffering when hughes and hronek are not on the ice.. we need some balance on the defence.. right now it's way too top heavy

Tyler Myers is on pace to score 40 points this year - almost a career high following his Calder season.  What more do you want from a 3rd pairing D-man who barely features on the powerplay?  We have also just added another puck-moving tower who scored 10+ goals last year.  After that, we have some solid shutdown D-men who are obviously not going to run plays.

Hughes and Hronek have excellent chemistry.  They have taken off to unimaginable heights.  Hronek is a massive reason why Hughes looks like a Hart candidate.  Why would you risk disrupting that chemistry?

• Cheers 4

2 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

I can't believe you would say something so ridiculous without even looking it up.  Such laziness.

The guy has a pretty formidable fight pedigree.  He has fought 10 times in five years.  He has fought Lucic.  Benn.  Ian Cole!  

Tyler Myers is on pace to score 40 points this year - almost a career high following his Calder season.  What more do you want from a 3rd pairing D-man who barely features on the powerplay?  We have also just added another puck-moving tower who scored 10+ goals last year.  After that, we have some solid shutdown D-men who are obviously not going to run plays.

Hughes and Hronek have excellent chemistry.  They have taken off to unimaginable heights.  Hronek is a massive reason why Hughes looks like a Hart candidate.  Why would you risk disrupting that chemistry?

because the other pairs are not really helping out the forwards?? our 5v5 plays whenever hughes and hronek is not on the ice is mostly non existent? our PP is not lights out like it was beginning of the season and we can't rely on that to win games? no team have won or made it to the scf with 2 top heavy defenceman that's likely going to be top 25 in salary outside of anaheim with 2 hall of famers. if you are going to have 2 expensive defenceman you need to spread it out so the gap between the 1st and 2nd pairing isn't a giant mammoth.. you have 2 defenceman that can drive plays stacked on 1 line.. and then 4 defenceman that's a negative play driver.. not exactly a recipe for success?

• Cheers 1