[Trade] Canucks acquire Nikita Zadorov from the Flames

RJCF96

When Soucy comes back if Cole can play the right side fine we should stand pat. If he looks mediocre out there then, go get another RHD. I'm not sure Juulsen should be the guy going into the playoffs. Of course we still gotta get there and hell maybe he proves us all wrong. But Bear isn't going to sign where we want him(under 2) and he's small as it is and now coming off a shoulder injury. It's not even a Sure thing he can come back and be effective in his own zone. Luckily he's mobile and can lean on that to clear the zone but I worry about him lasting through the playoffs. A team like Vegas will beat him down pretty quickly. And we all know we have to get through Vegas to get anywhere. I think we have a good chance too. But we need big guys on the blue to do it. Imo 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 2

10 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

Hughes and Hronek have excellent chemistry.  They have taken off to unimaginable heights.  Hronek is a massive reason why Hughes looks like a Hart candidate.  Why would you risk disrupting that chemistry?

Better team vs better pairing. As simple as that. It's a team sport and having two very good D on seperate pairings means there's a REALLY good D on the ice for 45-50 minutes every night vs 2 for 22-25.

You always have the option of putting them back together situationally (PP, trailing in a game, injuries etc). 

If we were to manage adding a Pesce/Zub type, I'd sure look at it if I was the coaches.

Edited by aGENT
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

14 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I agree.  Hronek will be at minimum $7.5 million, could be higher.  Hughes will be at $12 million+ in a few years.  Zadorov will most likely be re-signed at around $4 million.  So we don't have the room for another $6 million+ Dman.  I am hoping Willander makes the jump next season.  If he does, we have him for less than a million for 3 years.  And he should be in our top 4 in 2-3 years maximum.  So, I think we can just get someone to fill in the top 4 until Willander is ready.  If Willander isn't ready, then I can see us re-signing Myers for a year or two.

I would still be interested in Andrew Peeke.  I think we could get him for a late pick or B prospect at this point.  He could be a decent filler on the right side until Willander is ready and play on the 3rd pairing afterwards.  He's an upgrade on Friedman and Juulsen and has played 21 minutes a night for 2 years...

We talking about the same Andrew Peeke? The Andrew Peeke who has been scratched in all games this year except 4? The one that has Erik Gudbranson being played over him?

2 hours ago, AK-19 said:

We talking about the same Andrew Peeke? The Andrew Peeke who has been scratched in all games this year except 4? The one that has Erik Gudbranson being played over him?

Yup. Same guy who played over 21 minutes a night the last 2 years. Columbus always plays Gudbranson as he is their only heavyweight and gets paid $4 million per year. 

With Jiricek in the lineup there is no room for Peeke. He’s definitely not a long term solution but he’s probably better than Juulsen or Friedman. 

2 hours ago, BPA said:

Zub.

His agent is Milstein.  And OTT is doing terrible this year.  OTT might be interested in picks & prospects.

Yeah, they're tight on cap as well. I wouldn't move him if I was them but if they're looking to make changes, clear cap etc he'd be PERFECT.

We'd have to move Garland or Myers elsewhere though first.

Edited by aGENT
  • Like 1

On 12/2/2023 at 3:59 AM, I.AM.THE.WALRUS said:

Yeah Petey has got to suck it up get mentally tough or get shipped out for someone who has the character perseverance mental toughness killer instinct that can carry this team throughout the playoffs…

The $99 question is will Pettersson become that player? If he won’t (and we don’t know for sure) then we should probably try to trade them for somebody who is… Or two players who are…

The thing is the Sedins never got tough till they were 26 or 27 I believe

And then in the finals they caved in

Yes, but tbh, as an outside observer the Sedin's had alot more character. I am not suggesting Petterson doesn't but he does come across as a bit selfish. Perhaps that's just perception but even the captain thing, saying he wasn't sure if he wanted it. Most players take the captaincy as a HUGE honour, not an "obligation they aren't happy with".

To me, his hesitance suggested he's not sold on staying Vancouver (commitment), which suggests that for Petey, Petey comes first. While he's light years ahead of the twins numbers wise ( in an easier league ), I question if he has the character to lead as they did. That character is what made the Twins great. When it got hard, they worked harder and harder and harder. To be the absolute best they could.

Petey's skill is what makes him good but to get great like the twins, you need that type of character...time will tell but I'm not sold he has that.

And again, that's not to say he isn't a hard worker and doesn't care, its just that "little extra" is what takes players like Petey from an All Star here and there, to a Hall of Famer...I don't honestly see the later in him.

Edited by billydakid
  • Haha 2
  • ThereItIs 1

6 minutes ago, billydakid said:

Yes, but tbh, as an outside observer the Sedin's had alot more character. I am not suggesting Petterson doesn't but he does come across as a bit selfish. Perhaps that's just perception but even the captain thing, saying he wasn't sure if he wanted it. Most players take the captaincy as a HUGE honour, not an "obligation they aren't happy with".

To me, his hesitance suggested he's not sold on staying Vancouver (commitment), which suggests that for Petey, Petey comes first. While he's light years ahead of the twins numbers wise ( in an easier league ), I question if he has the character to lead as they did. That character is what made the Twins great. When it got hard, they worked harder and harder and harder. To be the absolute best they could.

Petey's skill is what makes him good but to get great like the twins, you need that type of character...time will tell but I'm not sold he has that.

And again, that's not to say he isn't a hard worker and doesn't care, its just that "little extra" is what takes players like Petey from an All Star here and there, to a Hall of Famer...I don't honestly see the later in him.

I sincerely hope you’re wrong on this

I think the Sedins didn’t start cooking until they were probably a year

or two older than Petey is atm

in an interview the Sedins, in the earlier years of their career really had a hard time adjusting to the NHL and wanted to go back home but then they had a change of heart and a change of mind and they became the player they were - It probably helped them a lot that they were twins and obviously meshed so well together… and I do recall earlier in their career they fell down a lot as well… I’m definitely rooting for Petey that he rises to the same level…

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, I.AM.THE.WALRUS said:

I sincerely hope you’re wrong on this

I think the Sedins didn’t start cooking until they were probably a year

or two older than Petey is atm

in an interview the Sedins, in the earlier years of their career really had a hard time adjusting to the NHL and wanted to go back home but then they had a change of heart and a change of mind and they became the player they were - It probably helped them a lot that they were twins and obviously meshed so well together… and I do recall earlier in their career they fell down a lot as well… I’m definitely rooting for Petey that he rises to the same level…

So do I

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AK-19 said:

Yep. That guy. I mean, it is Columbus after all, and Columbus did sign Gudbranson for 4M per year. I think Peeke could thrive in Tocchet's system.

If Peeke comes cheap, why not? 

Edited by N4ZZY
  • Cheers 2

24 minutes ago, billydakid said:

I also hope that you're wrong on Petey. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yup. Same guy who played over 21 minutes a night the last 2 years. Columbus always plays Gudbranson as he is their only heavyweight and gets paid $4 million per year. 

With Jiricek in the lineup there is no room for Peeke. He’s definitely not a long term solution but he’s probably better than Juulsen or Friedman. 

I'm not sure that he is better than Friedman or Juulsen. Although he played a lot of minutes I'm not sure he played them well. He was a team worst and league worst -41 last year.

32 minutes ago, AK-19 said:

I'm not sure that he is better than Friedman or Juulsen. Although he played a lot of minutes I'm not sure he played them well. He was a team worst and league worst -41 last year.

He's a better player than both. He's a legit bottom 4 NHL D. They're spare (7/8) D.

-41 playing above his paygrade, on a bad team, with ridiculous injuries.

Peeke certainly isn't my first choice for trade...but we could do worse than swapping him and Garland, clearing a bit of cap, and likely not costing any trade assets.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

He's a better player than both. He's a legit bottom 4 NHL D. They're spare (7/8) D.

-41 playing above his paygrade, on a bad team, with ridiculous injuries.

Peeke certainly isn't my first choice for trade...but we could do worse than swapping him and Garland, clearing a bit of cap, and likely not costing any trade assets.

Does Carolina not play Chatfield over Peeke on the right side?