[Trade] Canucks acquire Nikita Zadorov from the Flames

RJCF96

18 hours ago, Jaimito said:

GMPA growing into his role, much better with the media now IMO. Love that he's clear about being in a partnership with the playes, and laughed at the non-response if the Beau and Zadorov trades were connected.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

3 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Alvin is building a solid defense 

An elite defenseman in Hughes who’s one of the greatest players in the game. Period 

Hronek is an elite right handed partner who relishes the physical side of the game and has a cannon of a shot. 

The most recent addition to the defense, Zadorov, is one of the league’s most feared hitters, a fearsome combination of size and swagger. 

Soucy, another huge player, who is a solid defensive player and penalty killer. 

Outside of those four, it’s a toss up.

Cole has been great and would probably re-sign. He’s a solid physical player like Zadorov and Soucy and is a calming presence.

Myers is enormous but his penchant for ungulate behavior makes him a gamble to sign any higher that $2.5M. 

The team does need at least one legitimate second pairing player. 

Cernak. Pesce. Parayko. All probably would not have Vancouver on their no trade lists. 

I don’t think Alvin is done. And I think he’s looking to construct something and not just rent. 

Allvin already has that player in his back pocket.  He is coming.  Soon...

willander.jpeg

• Vintage 1

15 hours ago, billydakid said:

Yes, but tbh, as an outside observer the Sedin's had alot more character. I am not suggesting Petterson doesn't but he does come across as a bit selfish. Perhaps that's just perception but even the captain thing, saying he wasn't sure if he wanted it. Most players take the captaincy as a HUGE honour, not an "obligation they aren't happy with".

To me, his hesitance suggested he's not sold on staying Vancouver (commitment), which suggests that for Petey, Petey comes first. While he's light years ahead of the twins numbers wise ( in an easier league ), I question if he has the character to lead as they did. That character is what made the Twins great. When it got hard, they worked harder and harder and harder. To be the absolute best they could.

Petey's skill is what makes him good but to get great like the twins, you need that type of character...time will tell but I'm not sold he has that.

And again, that's not to say he isn't a hard worker and doesn't care, its just that "little extra" is what takes players like Petey from an All Star here and there, to a Hall of Famer...I don't honestly see the later in him.

Ummm, Petey won the Calder trophy in his first year in the league.  At 20 years old, the Sedins were still learning how to skate.  Did you watch the Sedins play when they came over from Sweden?  They skated like they were in quicksand.  They had to work on their skating just to stay in the NHL.  Petey was already an elite skater at 20 years old.  That comes through hard work.

Petey hit 100 points at age 24.  The Sedins didn't hit 100 points until they were 29 and 30 years old.  Petey might hit 100 points 5 or 6 times before he turns 30.  This is from hard work.  Petey is on pace to become the leading scorer in Vancouver Canucks history if he plays here his entire career.  If that happens it will be because of his hard work and dedication to the game of hockey...

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

Interesting that Allvin is going after so many versatile defencemen who can play either side, but are lefties, instead of going after true right handed defencemen. Surely we re-sign Zadorov but it depends how big a role he plays with us over the rest of the season. Hopefully we get him up to 18-19 minutes a night consistently and a big player on the PK, and he'll probably earn a decent 4 to 4.5M bridge sort of deal. He's at the age where he could sign long-term but I'd be a bit weary of that until he really proves himself.

Our D next year could look very different with Cole and Myers a year older and unsure if we keep either of them (hopefully one for quite cheap), but I don't hate Zadorov at 2LD. He probably just about breaks into most team's top-4. If Soucy really excels eventually he could battle Zadorov for minutes or they may even play together next year but right now I'd like to think we have a 2RD to stabilize Zadorov such as Cole or a UFA.

19 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Interesting that Allvin is going after so many versatile defencemen who can play either side, but are lefties, instead of going after true right handed defencemen. Surely we re-sign Zadorov but it depends how big a role he plays with us over the rest of the season. Hopefully we get him up to 18-19 minutes a night consistently and a big player on the PK, and he'll probably earn a decent 4 to 4.5M bridge sort of deal. He's at the age where he could sign long-term but I'd be a bit weary of that until he really proves himself.

Our D next year could look very different with Cole and Myers a year older and unsure if we keep either of them (hopefully one for quite cheap), but I don't hate Zadorov at 2LD. He probably just about breaks into most team's top-4. If Soucy really excels eventually he could battle Zadorov for minutes or they may even play together next year but right now I'd like to think we have a 2RD to stabilize Zadorov such as Cole or a UFA.

Zad impresses me with his manner and obvious intelligence. I suspect he will assess his options after this season and if he hasn't nailed down a top 4 spot he will likely move to a team where he can. The money will obviously play a big part as well as he is in his prime earnings years. 

14 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Cole turns 35 in February. Expecting him to be as good next year as he is this year is risky business.

If anything, the team’s pro scouting has improved by leaps and bounds overall the last couple years. They might be better off identifying a younger/cheaper player who can fill that role, and possibly grow into something even better, than investing in a player who is almost certain to decline.

Edited by D-Money
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, D-Money said:

Cole turns 35 in February. Expecting him to be as good next year as he is this year is risky business.

If anything, the team’s pro scouting has improved by leaps and bounds overall the last couple years. They might be better off identifying a younger/cheaper player who can fill that role, and possibly grow into something’s even better, than investing in a player who is almost certain to decline.

Yeah I worry about Cole, he's fantastic now but can't expect him to be a big minute eater next year. However, we could re-sign him for what, 1.5M and plonk him on our bottom pairing and do Myer's job for a lot cheaper and a bit better?

There's guys like Pesce, Skjei, Hanifin etc. out there in the free agency but even some lesser guys we could target. Demelo or Roy are interesting options. We'd basically need someone to play on a 2nd shutdown pairing with Zadorov.

Hughes - Hronek

Zadorov - ?

Soucy - Cole

Of course there's always the option of Soucy stepping up or a kid jumping up there (which I doubt any time soon). Don't think we should keep Myers and Cole around, they're both 6th men at best next year. Soucy is a solid 5, maybe 4th if we get lucky. Zadorov is essentially a 4-5th guy. Leaves us needing a 3 guy.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Allvin already has that player in his back pocket.  He is coming.  Soon...

willander.jpeg

What's your definition of soon? Alvin has been nothing if not honest, and has said time and time again they will not rush prospects. Their deployment of players like Hoglander, Podkolzin, Bains, ect also backs that up. 

• Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 2

19 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Yeah I worry about Cole, he's fantastic now but can't expect him to be a big minute eater next year. However, we could re-sign him for what, 1.5M and plonk him on our bottom pairing and do Myer's job for a lot cheaper and a bit better?

There's guys like Pesce, Skjei, Hanifin etc. out there in the free agency but even some lesser guys we could target. Demelo or Roy are interesting options. We'd basically need someone to play on a 2nd shutdown pairing with Zadorov.

Hughes - Hronek

Zadorov - ?

Soucy - Cole

Of course there's always the option of Soucy stepping up or a kid jumping up there (which I doubt any time soon). Don't think we should keep Myers and Cole around, they're both 6th men at best next year. Soucy is a solid 5, maybe 4th if we get lucky. Zadorov is essentially a 4-5th guy. Leaves us needing a 3 guy.

Maybe a guy like Woo pushes into the lineup? He plays bottom pair minutes. 
Seems like we are in a way better spot now on D than during the dark years of the Benning era. 

39 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Hughes - Hronek

Zadorov - ?

Soucy - Cole

That’s the score as I see it as well.  Luckily, lots of options in house and around the league to either upgrade or at least maintain a decent blue line.

Re: Willander I think the hope has to be he’s ready to step in 2-3 seasons from now with the OEL big cap hit. Certainly wouldn’t expect him next year.   Hopefully for next year one of Cole, Myers or Bear will sign a little 1 year cheapie for us.  

9 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Alvin is building a solid defense 

An elite defenseman in Hughes who’s one of the greatest players in the game. Period 

Hronek is an elite right handed partner who relishes the physical side of the game and has a cannon of a shot. 

The most recent addition to the defense, Zadorov, is one of the league’s most feared hitters, a fearsome combination of size and swagger. 

Soucy, another huge player, who is a solid defensive player and penalty killer. 

Outside of those four, it’s a toss up.

Cole has been great and would probably re-sign. He’s a solid physical player like Zadorov and Soucy and is a calming presence.

Myers is enormous but his penchant for ungulate behavior makes him a gamble to sign any higher that $2.5M. 

The team does need at least one legitimate second pairing player. 

Cernak. Pesce. Parayko. All probably would not have Vancouver on their no trade lists. 

I don’t think Alvin is done. And I think he’s looking to construct something and not just rent. 

Lots of speculation on 650 yesterday that Alvin is very aware/his wish list they need :

1. A legit 2nd pair D

2.A consistent, elite top 6 F

I totally agree

• Vintage 1

A dream.....if Washington drops, misses the playoffs (again) and they decide to rebuild:

to WAS - Podkolzin, Myers (last year and then frees up cap), and a 1st

to VAN - John Carlson

Hughes - Hronek

Zadorov - Carlson

Soucy - Cole

That D is winning a Cup

5 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Petey was already an elite skater at 20 years old.  That comes through hard work.

Love Petey, he’s my favourite player by far…. But by no means is he is an elite skater at all.

Elite playmaker? Yes.

Elite shot? Yes.

Elite game sense? Yes.

Elite skater? No.

3 hours ago, MeanSeanBean said:

What's your definition of soon? Alvin has been nothing if not honest, and has said time and time again they will not rush prospects. Their deployment of players like Hoglander, Podkolzin, Bains, ect also backs that up. 

The coach at BU was saying he could be ready for the NHL next season.  Worst case is he comes to Vancouver in 2 years.  Willander has been moved to the top pairing at BU.  This after only 14 games.  So he should get alot more ice time and also PP time from now until the end of the year.  If he is anywhere near a PPG this year he could make the jump next season.

He will play one year on the 3rd pairing and then jump into a top 4 role after that.  

2 hours ago, canucks curse said:

Lots of speculation on 650 yesterday that Alvin is very aware/his wish list they need :

1. A legit 2nd pair D

2.A consistent, elite top 6 F

I totally agree

Honestly, I'd target Sean Walker out of Philly.  He's very solid as a defensive defenceman, and any size issues are compensated on the 2nd pair if he's alongside Zadorov.  It gives Zadorov the ability to wander a bit too so we should see some decent offence from him.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, AnthonyG said:

Love Petey, he’s my favourite player by far…. But by no means is he is an elite skater at all.

Elite playmaker? Yes.

Elite shot? Yes.

Elite game sense? Yes.

Elite skater? No.

I can't find anything on Youtube, but I still remember the game against Colorado where someone passed the puck to Petey as he was skating by Makar and Petey took off with it on a breakaway.  Makar could not catch up to him.  I know Petey falls down alot, that is a balance issue, but when he gets going there really isn't many players who can catch up to him...