[Trade] Canucks acquire Nikita Zadorov from the Flames

RJCF96

4 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Honestly, I'd target Sean Walker out of Philly.  He's very solid as a defensive defenceman, and any size issues are compensated on the 2nd pair if he's alongside Zadorov.  It gives Zadorov the ability to wander a bit too so we should see some decent offence from him.

I like Sean Walker as well.  He's a massive upgrade on Juulsen and Friedman and much better than Bear.  Problem is the cost.  Heck, if Allvin could swing it he should try and get Konecny as well.  Konecny and Walker would probably help us to win the Stanley Cup...

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I like Sean Walker as well.  He's a massive upgrade on Juulsen and Friedman and much better than Bear.  Problem is the cost.  Heck, if Allvin could swing it he should try and get Konecny as well.  Konecny and Walker would probably help us to win the Stanley Cup...

Walker alone shouldn't cost a ton, but I think Garland would have to go the other way.  In which case, it'd probably need to be Garland and a solid prospect or pick to make it happen.

If you wanted to make it a big trade, wait til the TDL and send Myers to a 3rd party team to retain 50%, then flip him from there to Philly at $3M AAV.

To PHI

Garland

Podkolzin

Myers @ 50%

1st

To VAN

Konecny

Walker

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I can't find anything on Youtube, but I still remember the game against Colorado where someone passed the puck to Petey as he was skating by Makar and Petey took off with it on a breakaway.  Makar could not catch up to him.  I know Petey falls down alot, that is a balance issue, but when he gets going there really isn't many players who can catch up to him...

Mackinnon, McDavid, Barzal, Hughes, Makar etc are elite skaters. Thats only one example of a time where Petey’s skating stood out and it was probably due to Makar being at the end of a shift, Petey having a bit of a lead and probably hitting full speed as he was getting the puck.

Elite skaters stand out every shift

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Walker alone shouldn't cost a ton, but I think Garland would have to go the other way.  In which case, it'd probably need to be Garland and a solid prospect or pick to make it happen.

If you wanted to make it a big trade, wait til the TDL and send Myers to a 3rd party team to retain 50%, then flip him from there to Philly at $3M AAV.

To PHI

Garland

Podkolzin

Myers @ 50%

1st

To VAN

Konecny

Walker

Myers is a RHD so doesn't make sense to move him out to add another RHD.  We wouldn't be filling the RHD spot with just a switch.  At the end of the day, if we are adding Sean Walker and Soucy comes back from injury then we really don't need Cole.  I love Cole, but he would become redundant in this situation.

Hughes     Hronek

Zadorov    Walker

Soucy        Myers

I think you run with this in the playoffs.  You can even sign Bear as insurance and as your 7/8 guy along with Friedman and Juulsen.

So I'd do Garland, Cole, Hoglander and a 1st for Konecny and Walker.  I wouldn't trade Podkolzin.  I think he still has the potential to be a top 6 power forward.  Hoglander is a nice player but there is no room for him if we add Konency...

15 minutes ago, HKSR said:

To PHI

Garland

Podkolzin

Myers @ 50%

1st

To VAN

Konecny

Walker

As it sits now Philly will have 6.7 million in deadline cap space. There would be no need for another team to retain in that case. 

8 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Myers is a RHD so doesn't make sense to move him out to add another RHD.  We wouldn't be filling the RHD spot with just a switch.  At the end of the day, if we are adding Sean Walker and Soucy comes back from injury then we really don't need Cole.  I love Cole, but he would become redundant in this situation.

Hughes     Hronek

Zadorov    Walker

Soucy        Myers

I think you run with this in the playoffs.  You can even sign Bear as insurance and as your 7/8 guy along with Friedman and Juulsen.

So I'd do Garland, Cole, Hoglander and a 1st for Konecny and Walker.  I wouldn't trade Podkolzin.  I think he still has the potential to be a top 6 power forward.  Hoglander is a nice player but there is no room for him if we add Konency...

Why the hell would you trade cole? He has been one of our best additions this year.

I personally wouldn't trade him for walker straight up.

45 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The coach at BU was saying he could be ready for the NHL next season.  Worst case is he comes to Vancouver in 2 years.  Willander has been moved to the top pairing at BU.  This after only 14 games.  So he should get alot more ice time and also PP time from now until the end of the year.  If he is anywhere near a PPG this year he could make the jump next season.

He will play one year on the 3rd pairing and then jump into a top 4 role after that.  

Huh, I won't try to lie and say that I've watched his games this year or anything, but I highly doubt that he's playing in the NHL in 2 years. Sure, he could come to Vancouver, but I bet we see time in Abby first. I'd say it's closer to 3-4 years before were even thinking about him as an NHL regular.

4 hours ago, MeanSeanBean said:

What's your definition of soon? Alvin has been nothing if not honest, and has said time and time again they will not rush prospects. Their deployment of players like Hoglander, Podkolzin, Bains, ect also backs that up. 

As much as we'd love for Willander to make the team next season, good money says he goes back for at least 1 more year of college.  Even if he does make the team sooner rather than later we still need another RHD to round out the defense.  Ideally one who can handle top 4 minutes as then we don't need to rush Tom into a top 4 role. 

If we can acquire that player this season, they would help for this playoffs run and more.  They then can be dropped to a bottom pair role as Willander comes up.

Excited to see what PA has up his sleeve next.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Coryberg said:

Why the hell would you trade cole? He has been one of our best additions this year.

I personally wouldn't trade him for walker straight up.

Zadorov and Soucy will be ahead of him.  So he will need to play the right side in order to be in the lineup.  I don't think he is better than Walker.  Walker is a pure RHD who can move the puck and also plays good defensive hockey.  Cole is redundant if we have both Zadorov and Soucy in the lineup.  We need another puck mover in the bottom 4...

Edited by Elias Pettersson

45 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Imagine family dinners with Horvat and Konecny wearing his Canucks SC ring 😄

7 minutes ago, Rusty Shackleford said:

As much as we'd love for Willander to make the team next season, good money says he goes back for at least 1 more year of college.  Even if he does make the team sooner rather than later we still need another RHD to round out the defense.  Ideally one who can handle top 4 minutes as then we don't need to rush Tom into a top 4 role. 

If we can acquire that player this season, they would help for this playoffs run and more.  They then can be dropped to a bottom pair role as Willander comes up.

Excited to see what PA has up his sleeve next.

Willander doesn't have to slot into a top 4 role his first year. He's probably already able to do what Friedman can. Tom also isn't touted as being too offensive of a player, yet he's already at 0.5ppg and +13. I think he's going to be seeing NHL ice sooner than we think: NHL size, skating, IQ, competitiveness, and he'll have the rest of this season and an offseason to get better, bigger, and older. 

• Cheers 2

9 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Huh, I won't try to lie and say that I've watched his games this year or anything, but I highly doubt that he's playing in the NHL in 2 years. Sure, he could come to Vancouver, but I bet we see time in Abby first. I'd say it's closer to 3-4 years before were even thinking about him as an NHL regular.

The BU coach said he could make the jump as early as next season.  He is so good that he has been moved to the top pairing.  Willander is an elite skater who is playing well defensively and is also putting up points.  I don't think you have been following him very much.  Craig Button is comparing him to Charlie McAvoy.  McAvoy played in the playoffs with Boston in his D1 year and made the NHL the following season.  Willander may be on the same path...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Hughes     Hronek

Zadorov    Walker

Soucy        Myers

Presumably Juulsen could play 3rd pair, or maybe we will have signed Bear by then lol

Hughes-Hronek

Zadorov-Walker

Soucy-Bear

Juulsen

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The BU coach said he could make the jump as early as next season.  He is so good that he has been moved to the top pairing.  Willander is an elite skater who is playing well defensively and is also putting up points.  I don't think you have been following him very much.  Craig Button is comparing him to Charlie McAvoy.  McAvoy played in the playoffs with Boston in his D1 year and made the NHL the following season.  Willander may be on the same path...

And PK said Jordan was the most talented of the brothers. 

I'm finding this of the coach saying 2 years. But even that personally seems highly optimistic to me.

Willander is our only blue chip defensive prospect. Unless he's beyond a shadow of a doubt ready, I don't see the management rushing him into the NHL. Few defensemen are ready to play in the NHL at 20.

There's a difference between being capable of playing NHL minutes, and actually playing NHL minutes. Look at Hirose this year. Mean had him penciled into the NHL roster because of how he looked last year. I went out on a limb and was suggesting we should slow our roll and he may need more time. I suspect this management will not rush our best hope at cheap, high end defense, if he's not more then ready. They have shown no history of doing that in Van or Pits. It's just not their MO.

Now it's entirely possible Willander exceeds all expectations and is ready in 2 years. But I do not think that's the most likely scenario.

• Cheers 1

39 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Zadorov and Soucy will be ahead of him.  So he will need to play the right side in order to be in the lineup.  I don't think he is better than Walker.  Walker is a pure RHD who can move the puck and also plays good defensive hockey.  Cole is redundant if we have both Zadorov and Soucy in the lineup.  We need another puck mover in the bottom 4...

Cole has played the right side multiple times in his career (including with soucy in minny and zadorov in Colorado). When soucy was in the lineup he was deployed below Cole and rightfully so.

Last season walker was outplayed by Ben Hutton and was then jetsoned from the kings as a cap dump. He has been doing OK in Tortorella's system but could easily regress in another. No need to trade our 3rd best dman in the middle of a good season. High risk, extremely small reward.

Then you factor in the optics of a player who chose to come to Vancouver, signing a team friendly contract and playing well only to be ditched to a lesser team. You can kiss your july 1st credibility goodbye.

Edited by Coryberg
  • Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Ian Cole isn't going anywhere. 

His past teams have combined for 9 straight playoff seasons with him. Colorado Tampa Carolina Pittsburgh all high level teams..

He's a lot more than just his play on ice. He's a winner thru and thru.

He won the Cup twice with PIT.

He's as solid as a rock on the ice but also brings just as much off the ice and in the locker room. 

I don't see a realistic scenario in which JR makes a move that moves Cole off this roster.

Yup. Very likely JR m/Allvin would want Cole on our bottom pair (or 7thD) going forward. 

1 hour ago, WHL rocks said:

Ian Cole isn't going anywhere. 

His past teams have combined for 9 straight playoff seasons with him. Colorado Tampa Carolina Pittsburgh all high level teams..

He's a lot more than just his play on ice. He's a winner thru and thru.

He won the Cup twice with PIT.

He's as solid as a rock on the ice but also brings just as much off the ice and in the locker room. 

I don't see a realistic scenario in which JR makes a move that moves Cole off this roster.

Ian Cole is almost 35 years old.  Those cups he won were almost 10 years ago.  We might as well sign Phil the Thrill to complete the roster.

I like Ian Cole.  But let's not get carried away here that he is a legit top 4 guy and can lead us to the cup.  He is a solid stay at home Dman who is perfect playing on the 3rd pairing with Myers.  Problem is we just traded for Zadorov who is now the defacto 2nd pairing guy and we have Carson Soucy who is a beast and the perfect guy for the 3rd pairing.  So we have too many left shot D.  If Cole can play the right side like he has in the past, then we should be fine.  Just add bear as a 7/8 guy and we are good to go.  If Allvin really wants to go after a true top 4 RHD then Ian Cole is the odd man out IMO...