[Trade] Canucks acquire Nikita Zadorov from the Flames

RJCF96

14 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Ian Cole isn't going anywhere. 

His past teams have combined for 9 straight playoff seasons with him. Colorado Tampa Carolina Pittsburgh all high level teams..

He's a lot more than just his play on ice. He's a winner thru and thru.

He won the Cup twice with PIT.

He's as solid as a rock on the ice but also brings just as much off the ice and in the locker room. 

I don't see a realistic scenario in which JR makes a move that moves Cole off this roster.

This. Veteran leadership with Stanley Cup success? Can't go wrong IMHO!

13 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Ian Cole is almost 35 years old.  Those cups he won were almost 10 years ago.  We might as well sign Phil the Thrill to complete the roster.

I like Ian Cole.  But let's not get carried away here that he is a legit top 4 guy and can lead us to the cup.  He is a solid stay at home Dman who is perfect playing on the 3rd pairing with Myers.  Problem is we just traded for Zadorov who is now the defacto 2nd pairing guy and we have Carson Soucy who is a beast and the perfect guy for the 3rd pairing.  So we have too many left shot D.  If Cole can play the right side like he has in the past, then we should be fine.  Just add bear as a 7/8 guy and we are good to go.  If Allvin really wants to go after a true top 4 RHD then Ian Cole is the odd man out IMO...

Yea okay. I get that he's older. But we need a D Vet for our young D-core. I'm aging myself but, he is our Dave Babych!

IMO, Cole has a role with this club and this is it. 

Sure we can use a Dan Hamhuis type who's a RHD, (Juulsen?!?!?!?? Woo???!?!???) but that may have to wait til next off season.

We keep Cole. That is it. "Nuff said!

Go Canucks go!!!!!

16 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Ian Cole isn't going anywhere. 

His past teams have combined for 9 straight playoff seasons with him. Colorado Tampa Carolina Pittsburgh all high level teams..

He's a lot more than just his play on ice. He's a winner thru and thru.

He won the Cup twice with PIT.

He's as solid as a rock on the ice but also brings just as much off the ice and in the locker room. 

I don't see a realistic scenario in which JR makes a move that moves Cole off this roster.

Cole isn't even a slum dunk to be extended despite his play imo, largely because of his age

He's a quality D but he's not getting any younger

He's a good placeholder but I don't see why the Canucks wouldn't consider a longer-term solution in that spot

34 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Cole isn't even a slum dunk to be extended despite his play imo, largely because of his age

He's a good placeholder but I don't see why the Canucks wouldn't consider a longer-term solution in that spot

Longer term solution will come in the summer. 

We don't know what's going to happen with Cole or Zadorov.  

As for remainder of this season I don't see Cole going anywhere 

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Sativika said:

This. Veteran leadership with Stanley Cup success? Can't go wrong IMHO!

Yea okay. I get that he's older. But we need a D Vet for our young D-core. I'm aging myself but, he is our Dave Babych!

IMO, Cole has a role with this club and this is it. 

Sure we can use a Dan Hamhuis type who's a RHD, (Juulsen?!?!?!?? Woo???!?!???) but that may have to wait til next off season.

We keep Cole. That is it. "Nuff said!

Go Canucks go!!!!!

Loved Dave Babych. He was a beast. But when he came to Vancouver he was only 30 years old. By the time he was 35-36 that is when we got rid of him. 

I like Ian Cole. But hockey today is a young man’s sport. There’s a reason he only got a one year deal. I doubt he even comes back next season. 

3 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Longer term solution will come in the summer. 

We don't know what's going to happen with Cole or Zadorov.  

As for remainder of this season I don't see Cole going anywhere 

More than likely he stays, agreed, but it depends on who they look to trade with. 

Cole plus a pick of prospect to a team looking to add to their foundation while remaining competitive could work, there are a few teams like that out East. Philly being a good example, Washington being another one. 

Such a move wouldn't necessarily have to bring back a D, just more than likely a player with a similar cap hit. Canucks could so something around Cole+ for Laughton for example, their cap hits are identical. 

It really depends on who they want to trade with and what they want to acquire. A useful pending UFA who could be utilized or flipped again by a team like Philly would probably be more palatable than a larger cap hit with term in Garland for example. 

Edited by Coconuts

3 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Loved Dave Babych. He was a beast. But when he came to Vancouver he was only 30 years old. By the time he was 35-36 that is when we got rid of him. 

I like Ian Cole. But hockey today is a young man’s sport. There’s a reason he only got a one year deal. I doubt he even comes back next season. 

I swear hockey players just looked older back in the day.  Babych looked like he was 50 years old lol

• Haha 1
  • ThereItIs 1

45 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Realizing the Capspace that may present itself to us next season, and acquiring another top Dman,.  

I hope Brandon Montour might be available as UFA . 

next season:

Hughes Horenck Zadorov Montour Willander Cole Bear  Dman Petersson 

Considering we have 2 good RD prospects we could get a LD instead. 

One who’s preferably a defensive stalwart. A leader in his own zone. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Realizing the Capspace that may present itself to us next season, and acquiring another top Dman,.  

I hope Brandon Montour might be available as UFA . 

next season:

Hughes Horenck Zadorov Montour Willander Cole Bear  Dman Petersson 

Willander will be our top 4 guy. He’s the next Charlie McAvoy. I think we just need a more defensive defenceman for the right side. 

If Boston starts to tank I’d be all in on Brandon Carlo. If Tampa goes in the shitter I’d be all in on Erik Cernak. 

Add Carlo or Cernak plus Willander to the right side and we’d probably have the best defence in the NHL. 

Hughes    Hronek 

Zadorov   Willander 

Soucy      Carlo

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Season 11 Hbo GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

• Haha 3

On 12/5/2023 at 6:20 AM, Elias Pettersson said:

Ummm, Petey won the Calder trophy in his first year in the league.  At 20 years old, the Sedins were still learning how to skate.  Did you watch the Sedins play when they came over from Sweden?  They skated like they were in quicksand.  They had to work on their skating just to stay in the NHL.  Petey was already an elite skater at 20 years old.  That comes through hard work.

Petey hit 100 points at age 24.  The Sedins didn't hit 100 points until they were 29 and 30 years old.  Petey might hit 100 points 5 or 6 times before he turns 30.  This is from hard work.  Petey is on pace to become the leading scorer in Vancouver Canucks history if he plays here his entire career.  If that happens it will be because of his hard work and dedication to the game of hockey...

Please re read my post, it doesn't seem like you're getting the nuance.

Edited by billydakid

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

4x4?

We finally have our Nikita Sam...   😊

lol!

yes 🙂

4 x 4 might just do it for Nik ,  or stagger it for 3 yrs,.  4.25 m / 4.25 / 4.25 . ?

( both options to include an all you can eat Sushi pass card) 😉 

I have a feeling he will be here for the arrival of Dman Petey and Willander .

• Cheers 1

I hope they take the time to let him show what he actually is as opposed to rushing into an extension, he was a 5 in Calgary, if he wants to be paid as more than a 5 he'll need to prove that he can be that kind of player. Soucy was a bottom pairing player in Seattle who's only making 3.2M for reference. Same kind of scenario.

19 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I hope they take the time to let him show what he actually is as opposed to rushing into an extension, he was a 5 in Calgary, if he wants to be paid as more than a 5 he'll need to prove that he can be that kind of player. Soucy was a bottom pairing player in Seattle who's only making 3.2M for reference. Same kind of scenario.

Z skates better and is more imposing than Soucy ..   I still like Soucy .

Z has more upside ,  has projected as an 80 p2 Dman with very limited ice time .

He has more ,  I don’t think he needs 5m per to resign ,  but if you gamble on a 1 or 2 year contract ,  he might be worth more than 5m per after it’s completion.

I think he is resigned before end of season, hopefully just after Christmas.

We will be without anyone who plays like him if we don’t next season.

59D3C79A-FA75-4D7F-B8D3-3C79B770EE33.thumb.jpeg.bc4c5c9a06448feefb6ac29f70ffcf75.jpeg

11 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Z skates better and is more imposing than Soucy ..   I still like Soucy .

Z has more upside ,  has projected as an 80 p2 Dman with very limited ice time .

He has more ,  I don’t think he needs 5m per to resign ,  but if you gamble on a 1 or 2 year contract ,  he might be worth more than 5m per after it’s completion.

I think he is resigned before end of season, hopefully just after Christmas.

We will be without anyone who plays like him if we don’t next season.

59D3C79A-FA75-4D7F-B8D3-3C79B770EE33.thumb.jpeg.bc4c5c9a06448feefb6ac29f70ffcf75.jpeg

I'm not saying don't sign him, I expect something will get done, I just want the Canucks to take their time and make sure they're not paying him more than he should probably be getting 

If he can legitimately be a top four D here, fantastic, but he should demonstrate that he's capable of it for the Canucks first 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

I'm not saying don't sign him, I expect something will get done, I just want the Canucks to take their time and make sure they're not paying him more than he should probably be getting 

If he can legitimately be a top four D here, fantastic, but he should demonstrate that he's capable of it for the Canucks first 

I think Tochett will see to that,   Perhaps more options for the D Staff when Soucy Returns ?

1 minute ago, SilentSam said:

I think Tochett will see to that,   Perhaps more options for the D Staff when Soucy Returns ?

It's possible, it'll be interesting to see who's bumped down to #5 if they can stay healthy until Soucy gets back 

Not that having depth is a bad thing

• Like 1

On 12/6/2023 at 2:03 PM, Coconuts said:

More than likely he stays, agreed, but it depends on who they look to trade with. 

Cole plus a pick of prospect to a team looking to add to their foundation while remaining competitive could work, there are a few teams like that out East. Philly being a good example, Washington being another one. 

Such a move wouldn't necessarily have to bring back a D, just more than likely a player with a similar cap hit. Canucks could so something around Cole+ for Laughton for example, their cap hits are identical. 

It really depends on who they want to trade with and what they want to acquire. A useful pending UFA who could be utilized or flipped again by a team like Philly would probably be more palatable than a larger cap hit with term in Garland for example. 

Philly is in second in their division. Why would both teams create a hole in their line-ups halfway through the season?

Cole is going nowhere unless we lose 15-20 games straight. He's a leader and our #3 dman. It's not even remotely being thought about.

26 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Philly is in second in their division. Why would both teams create a hole in their line-ups halfway through the season?

Cole is going nowhere unless we lose 15-20 games straight. He's a leader and our #3 dman. It's not even remotely being thought about.

I don't mean immediately, Philly could very well slide 

I think most Canucks UFA's would be available if the right trade come along, I've already said it's unlikely Cole moves

• Upvote 1