[Trade] Canucks acquire Nikita Zadorov from the Flames

RJCF96

16 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

He would easily get that on the open market. Rare mix of size and defensive skill. If we have a decent playoff run the price gets higher.

Then let some other sucker sign him for 6 years at $4.5 mil. 

Way too much. 

I like that he's big, takes the body, aggressive and stands up for his teammates, but... he's not worth tying up that much money long-term. 

Other than the intangibles that I've mentioned, he's a 5th or 6th, at best.

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

11 minutes ago, Barn Burner said:

Way too much. 

I like that he's big, takes the body, aggressive and stands up for his teammates, but... he's not worth tying up that much money long-term. 

It definitely becomes tough given that QH and Soucy are already signed and Hronek needs a new deal. With Juulsen on place, I doubt Mgmt commits long-term to anyone else.

10 minutes ago, Barn Burner said:

Way too much. 

yep. I really like the player, but he’s a number 5 guy. A good one, but still a number 5 guy. 3.5 mil

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapshot said:

They're not moving Zad. If he doesn't work out for the playoffs or is asking too much to resign then we'll just let him walk. Calgary traded him to us for scraps so it's no skin off our back. 

In the unlikely event that Big Zeke doesn't get extended, the Canucks can recoup a mid-round pick (probably) by having a team be granted exclusive rights to negotiate with him before July 1st start of the silly season. 

I hope and think the Canucks will resign / extend him unless of course the ask and term are way too much then he won't be a Canuck next year, DOH!

Edited by Rocket-68

As a 5/6 guy, he's not worth what he's going to ask for.

I hope (for our sake) that they don't resign him and he ends up being a rental. Not the kind of guy whose historically been willing to sign on a discount either.

13 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapshot said:

They're not moving Zad. If he doesn't work out for the playoffs or is asking too much to resign then we'll just let him walk. Calgary traded him to us for scraps so it's no skin off our back. 

Exactly. He’s perfect for our run here and hopefully it works out. But if the ask is too high we can use that money towards other aspects of the team as well. I would prefer we keep him at around $3M x 5 or $3.5 x 3. Similar dollars to Cole, Soucy and Myers (who I think we all agree is in that range if we extend him). He brings size and youth and speed (intangibles) for sure. And because we debate these things - I believe this proposed signing would be a best case scenario. 

49 minutes ago, Coryberg said:

We had the all time leader in hits by a defenseman who dropped the gloves without hesitation the last 2 seasons. It boggles my mind that you are so quick to forget the human erasure.

usatsi_19161488.jpg

He left us! We didn’t leave him! 

And it’s the Human Eraser, and not the Human Erasure there, buddy. 

Edited by PhillipBlunt

1 hour ago, Barn Burner said:

Way too much. 

That's exactly what he's worth in today's NHL. A guy who's his size, is one if the fastest straight line skaters in the league (not  acceleration, but cruising speed), can hit, can pass, can score, can fight and play either side. If he was on the open market, right now, easily 4.5 - 5 million over 6 years. Hoping that since he likes it here, we can get a bit of a discount.

Cap is starting to move again this summer, if he was on the open market, I pretty much guarantee that we'd be bidding.

3 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

That's exactly what he's worth in today's NHL. A guy who's his size, is one if the fastest straight line skaters in the league (not  acceleration, but cruising speed), can hit, can pass, can score, can fight and play either side. If he was on the open market, right now, easily 4.5 - 5 million over 6 years. Hoping that since he likes it here, we can get a bit of a discount.

Cap is starting to move again this summer, if he was on the open market, I pretty much guarantee that we'd be bidding.

Then go ahead and sign him. I wouldn't. Good luck with that deal. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 48MPHSlapshot said:

Well what if they want somebody better and dealing Zad gets you the assets to pay for half of that cost? I could see something like that happening if they feel like the money Zad wants won’t fit in this teams cap with the role he’s occupying.

Edited by flickyoursedin

Can't believe there are actually people who follow the Canucks and watch the games think Zad can possibly be traded away

We're 17 - 3 - 4 since he was traded here. Before him we were in win 1 lose 1 mode ever since Soucy injury. 

There is no world where Zad is on the market. Maybe Friedman got him confused with another Rissian (Mikheyev) and said the wrong name by accident or maybe he's just talking out of his ass for views/clicks.

Zadorov isn't going anywhere.. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

16 minutes ago, Barn Burner said:

Then go ahead and sign him. I wouldn't. Good luck with that deal. 

It's the price of NHL. Players get ridiculous amounts of money, but with the cap moving again, salaries are going to start moving up.

Here's my take on next years roster, give or take. I think we move Kuzmenko at or before the deadline for a draft pick which will be included in a trade to upgrade top 6 and Defensive depth. I think the money is fairly close on players, I think Podkolzin gets a 1 or 2 year, 1 way show me deal. Joshua gets a raise and re-signs, we bring back Blueger with a bit of a raise as well as Lafferty and we promote Bains to the forward group. I think we sign Pettersson for 8 x 11.5, slight hometown discount to stay in Vancouver.

Defense, I don't think they will pay Hronek more than they are paying Hughes at least in a significant way, I think they will go 6 years to keep salary lower. We acquire Tanev at the deadline and then re-sign him for 1 year at a lower rate, he'll be 35 before next season starts, but he makes a nice place holder on the right side. We bring back Myers at 2 million per season unless there's another player out there that we can acquire and plug in. Juulsen stays with the club, he's done a lot to prove himself this year and I think Woo stays as the extra D and Woo, Juulsen and Myers compete for 6d each night. I think we give Silovs a 1 way, 2 year show me deal as backup at 775k. 

Assuming that my numbers are a little light or that we decide to make some other moves, at 23 man roster, this leave about 2.6 million to play with and yes, it takes all OEL buyout and LTIR players into account.

It lets our younger prospects continue to develop in the minors until they are ready.

image.png.45456e36f409966fb26cd3dcb17c239f.png

2 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

It's the price of NHL. Players get ridiculous amounts of money, but with the cap moving again, salaries are going to start moving up.

Here's my take on next years roster, give or take. I think we move Kuzmenko at or before the deadline for a draft pick which will be included in a trade to upgrade top 6 and Defensive depth. I think the money is fairly close on players, I think Podkolzin gets a 1 or 2 year, 1 way show me deal. Joshua gets a raise and re-signs, we bring back Blueger with a bit of a raise as well as Lafferty and we promote Bains to the forward group. I think we sign Pettersson for 8 x 11.5, slight hometown discount to stay in Vancouver.

Defense, I don't think they will pay Hronek more than they are paying Hughes at least in a significant way, I think they will go 6 years to keep salary lower. We acquire Tanev at the deadline and then re-sign him for 1 year at a lower rate, he'll be 35 before next season starts, but he makes a nice place holder on the right side. We bring back Myers at 2 million per season unless there's another player out there that we can acquire and plug in. Juulsen stays with the club, he's done a lot to prove himself this year and I think Woo stays as the extra D and Woo, Juulsen and Myers compete for 6d each night. I think we give Silovs a 1 way, 2 year show me deal as backup at 775k. 

Assuming that my numbers are a little light or that we decide to make some other moves, at 23 man roster, this leave about 2.6 million to play with and yes, it takes all OEL buyout and LTIR players into account.

It lets our younger prospects continue to develop in the minors until they are ready.

Wow. You needed all of that to say what? 

Just say it. I don't have time to scroll through a bunch of garbage. 

• Haha 1

Maybe Zads thinking of getting the Myers special.  $6M x 6yrs.  Canucks can’t afford that.  Better recoup pieces if not in the long term plan.

Or screw the long term plan and go all in.

Edited by BPA

1 hour ago, VegasCanuck said:

On one hand you say "It's the price of NHL. Players get ridiculous amounts of money, but with the cap moving again, salaries are going to start moving up." On the other hand you have Myers, Tanev, Joshua and Lafferty all under market value on their deals. Yet there is a 6'6 albatross of a contract in there on the 3rd pairing. 

I'm sure that will go over well... "hey guys I'm going to have to ask you to take a haircut on your next deal so we can overpay the #6 Dman and give him term on top of that."

Don't you think it's a little far fetched that Tanev AND Myers salaries are equal to a defenseman who doesn't even log the minutes that either one does?

A direct comparable would be Soucy, their games played and time on ice are pretty close, soucy has more points and blocks, Zadorov has more hits and PIMs. Soucy just got 3.25 x 3 with a NTC, Zadorov would be fortunate to get 3.75 x 3 from this management group and thats because of his size and snarl. 

I could see a team like Ottawa or San Jose overpaying for his toughness to help bring along their youngins and laying out 4 mil x 4 but this team is in win now mode and can't afford to put that amount of money into a 18 minute Dman.

Edited by Coryberg