[Trade] Canucks acquire Nikita Zadorov from the Flames

RJCF96

5 minutes ago, Barn Burner said:

I didn't say he would take a pay cut. I just don't want that deal. 

Clear enough? 

It's clear. Just a bit confusing. We see year after year how important big defenceman are for playoff success but people want to quibble over 500k.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Coryberg said:

On one hand you say "It's the price of NHL. Players get ridiculous amounts of money, but with the cap moving again, salaries are going to start moving up." On the other hand you have Myers, Tanev, Joshua and Lafferty all under market value on their deals. Yet there is a 6'6 albatross of a contract in there on the 3rd pairing. 

I'm sure that will go over well... "hey guys I'm going to have to ask you to take a haircut on your next deal so we can overpay the #6 Dman and give him term on top of that."

Don't you think it's a little far fetched that Tanev AND Myers salaries are equal to a defenseman who doesn't even log the minutes that either one does?

A direct comparable would be Soucy, their games played and time on ice are pretty close, soucy has more points and blocks, Zadorov has more hits and PIMs. Soucy just got 3.25 x 3 with a NTC, Zadorov would be fortunate to get 3.75 x 3 from this management group and thats because of his size and snarl. 

I could see a team like Ottawa or San Jose overpaying for his toughness to help bring along their youngins and laying out 4 mil x 4 but this team is in win now mode and can't afford to put that amount of money into a 18 minute Dman.

Tanev is 34, will be 35 at the start of next season, I think 2.25 is in line for a likely diminished role. That's part of why I had extra RD staying with the team.  Lafferty has had trouble sticking in the NHL, I think 1 5 is about where he would land in UFA. Joshua is coming off a league minimum contract, he's a bottom 6 guy although a very good one and that's realistically what we can allocate to that type of position.  Myers, I think he's still diminished from the player he was when we signed him, I think 2 million or we find someone else. He's getting up there as well.

Zadorov is in his prime, anything in the 4 - 5 million range I think is reasonable.  He contributes in a lot of ways that we have been missing, he brings a physical element to our defense that has been absent.

• Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

It's clear. Just a bit confusing. We see year after year how important big defenceman are for playoff success but people want to quibble over 500k.

Six years is not happening in my books. Two is fine. Clear enough. 

3 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Can't believe there are actually people who follow the Canucks and watch the games think Zad can possibly be traded away

We're 17 - 3 - 4 since he was traded here. Before him we were in win 1 lose 1 mode ever since Soucy injury. 

There is no world where Zad is on the market. Maybe Friedman got him confused with another Rissian (Mikheyev) and said the wrong name by accident or maybe he's just talking out of his ass for views/clicks.

Zadorov isn't going anywhere.. 

I also can’t believe some are comparing Zadorov’s next contract to Tanev’s. Tanev is going to be 35 next year. Zadorov will be 29 and still in his prime. In what world is Zadorov signing for less than Tanev?  

Gudbranson got a 4x4 contract at age 31 and he’s a #6 Dman who also brings a physical element. Zadorov will easily match that and more. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Barn Burner said:

Six years is not happening in my books. Two is fine. Clear enough. 

There is only one book brother.JR and PA.If they squeezing Pettersson,why you think they will overpay Zadorov. Why you all getting worked out ,from people who make living off gossips and made up stories.

2 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

Tanev is 34, will be 35 at the start of next season, I think 2.25 is in line for a likely diminished role.

Age wouldn't factor in too much on short term contract he is still playing at a high level right now, he isnt going to fall off that much within a year.. I couldn't see him being in a diminished role with the roster you showed. He would be the clear-cut #3.

Interesting that you think a diminished role is only worth 2.25 million. That is pretty much Zadorovs  spot on this roster right now.

Lafferty has had trouble sticking in the NHL, I think 1 5 is about where he would land in UFA.

It's been 5 years since Lafferty saw the AHL he has had no problems sticking in the NHL. He had 12 goals and 27 points last season in 70 games and is on pace for 17 goals, 34 points and plus 27 this year, he hasn't missed a single game on the team that leads the NHL in points all this in just 12:27 per game. 

Joshua is coming off a league minimum contract, he's a bottom 6 guy although a very good one and that's realistically what we can allocate to that type of position

Not sure what his last contract has to do with his next? Joshua is 2nd in the entire NHL in hits right now, on pace for 20 goals, 40 points and plus 23.

I also love how you say he is a bottom 6 and that's all we can allocate to that type of position... yet Zadorov the bottom pairing Dman can allocate 4.5 million.

Myers, I think he's still diminished from the player he was when we signed him, I think 2 million or we find someone else. He's getting up there as well.

Myers has diminished from the player he was signed this is for sure, thats what happens when you sign 29 year olds to long term contracts. He is however a big body right handed shot who is a good penalty killer on pace for 30 points, with his mobility he definitely has a lot more miles on him. He will have suitors on the open market.

Zadorov is in his prime, anything in the 4 - 5 million range I think is reasonable.  He contributes in a lot of ways that we have been missing, he brings a physical element to our defense that has been absent.

That's what is so crazy about offering big money and huge term. He is turning 29 in a few months, he is what he is. It's not like you are signing a 24 year old who will get better and turn the contract into a bargain. This is a guy who has averaged 18 minutes a game over his career for a reason. He is a very good 3rd pairing dman, good teams don't throw big money and term to role players... that's a Jim Benning move.

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Gudbranson got a 4x4 contract at age 31 and he’s a #6 Dman who also brings a physical element. Zadorov will easily match that and more. 

Not a good look when you have to use one of the worst contracts signed by one of the worst teams in the league as a comparable.

• Cheers 1

Though he's only a 3rd pair D at this point, defenders of this type would be valuable for the postseason.  I like Petey's comparisons and, along with Cole and Soucy, the three of them would form a needed strong D-core to solidify things in front of Demko/ DeSmith, and so I'd rather splurge more on a rugged "depth" D if the rest of the roster's needs are largely accounted for (we'll still have cap space after re-signing Petey and Hronek so I'm not worried about cap shortages, and he can definitely be worth the $4 million).

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Josh Manson signed for 4.5x4 at age 31.  Since he was traded to Colorado his average ice time is 17:35, which is less than Zadorov.  Is Colorado also one of the worst teams in the league and is Manson's contract a bad contract too?

I would trade Zadorov for manson in a heartbeat. Manson is a much better player than Zadorov, at the time of his trade and signing he was averaging 19:51 in ice time through his career.

This season Manson has more points (17 vs 10), more blocks (66 vs 47), more hits (104 vs 87) and more takeaways (28 vs 16) even though Zadorov has played an extra game.

Radko Gudas signed a 4x3 contract at age 33 after coming off a season where he averaged 17:22 in ice time.

Bad team and a bad contract... check!

As I said earlier I'm sure a bad team like ottawa or san jose will give him a 4x4 deal.

Jamie Oleksiak was averaging only 15 minutes a night until he was 28 years old.  He went to Seattle and has played alot more minutes but his production is similar to Zadorov this year.  He has 8 points, 116 blocks, 56 hits, and his overall Corsi is 41.7%.  Zadorov has 10 points, 47 blocks, 87 hits, and his overall Corsi is 43.1%.  So Zadorov and Oleksiak are pretty much playing at the same level.  Both players have similar playing styles.

Yeah a bad contract signed by an expansion team before they ever played a game. You are doing a great job of showing why we shouldn't sign Zadorov to a big contract.

Carson Soucy got a 3.25x3 contract from Vancouver after a season in Seattle where his ice time average was 16:18, substantially less than Zadorov this year.  So there is no reason that Zadorov shouldn't get more than Soucy, IMO he is more valuable and is certainly less injury prone.  If I had to choose between the two, I would choose Zadorov...

I already brought up a soucy comparison...

A direct comparable would be Soucy, their games played and time on ice are pretty close, soucy has more points and blocks, Zadorov has more hits and PIMs. Soucy just got 3.25 x 3 with a NTC, Zadorov would be fortunate to get 3.75 x 3 from this management group and thats because of his size and snarl. 

14 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

4x4 is kinda where I'm at with Z. If he wants longer term it could work as one of those low AAV type deals.

And I really want to keep Zaddy, I think he's got more to him than what he's shown so far (nvm being a menace in the playoffs), but there is a limit. 

This is bang on. Love the player and unless there are a series of trades that lead to an upgrade on the big guy, keep him for a playoff run. That said, if he is looking to break the bank with this team, its not happening. 4 x 4 is more than fair,  he's a big physical Dman, but barely a quality top four player, more a top quality anchor dman on a bottom pairing playoff team. He has to decide on how much he loves this city and winning, or breaking the bank. 

• ThereItIs 1

On 1/30/2024 at 10:27 PM, VegasCanuck said:

Tanev is 34, will be 35 at the start of next season, I think 2.25 is in line for a likely diminished role. That's part of why I had extra RD staying with the team.  Lafferty has had trouble sticking in the NHL, I think 1 5 is about where he would land in UFA. Joshua is coming off a league minimum contract, he's a bottom 6 guy although a very good one and that's realistically what we can allocate to that type of position.  Myers, I think he's still diminished from the player he was when we signed him, I think 2 million or we find someone else. He's getting up there as well.

No way to 5M for Zadorov. 4M is the highest I'd go for him. And how many years are you willing to give to the guy? 7 years? I'd go as far as 4, maybe 5 years for him at 4M. Anything more, and he'l have to find a new home elsewhere. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Viking said:

5yr 4.25m cap hit extension is fair for both sides, NTC involved.

I’d try Zadorov on the PP…net front or slap , I mean he had 14g last year!?

If he can score 14 goals from the backend on an annual basis, while playing well defensively, then yes, I'd give him that deal. 

4 hours ago, Viking said:

I’d try Zadorov on the PP…net front or slap , I mean he had 14g last year!?

Dan Milstein is that you?

Zadorov has 42 goals over 11 seasons (3.8 per year). That one season was magical for him, definitely not a normal occurrence. He has 1 goal in 45 games this season, 4 two seasons ago and 1 the season before. 

Just watched Sekeres and Price

Sakeres was joking 

Wouldn't it be nice to get a 2nd from TO for Zad, after only paying a 3rd to get him.

Sakeres wants TO to get Zad's?

Man Sakeres is a DUMBASS!

Sakeres sending Zads to TO

Stupidity, especially from a media guy.

Heads up Sakeres 

WE NEED ZADAROV 

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Sakeres was joking 

Wouldn't it be nice to get a 2nd from TO for Zad, after only paying a 3rd to get him.

Heads up Sakeres 

WE NEED ZADAROV 

Sekeres is a douche of the lowest order. This idea that trading an ideal playoff type of player for a draft pick resembles winning in some sense is irretrievably stupid.  

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Sekeres is a douche of the lowest order. This idea that trading an ideal playoff type of player for a draft pick resembles winning in some sense is irretrievably stupid.  

I just want all the hypocrite wolves in sheep's clothing eastern media suck holes to just leave already. 

This is a Vancouver Canucks market. 

• Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I just want all the hypocrite wolves in sheep's clothing eastern media suck holes to just leave already. 

This is a Vancouver Canucks market. 

They won't because they know that there's a portion of the fanbase that eats up their garbage ramblings. 

2 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Sakeres was joking 

Heads up Sakeres 

WE NEED ZADAROV 

Jim said on Dali podcast ,they are not trading Zadorov

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Lemon Face said:

Jim said on Dali podcast ,they are not trading Zadorov

Why would they?

Tocchet said he wanted big mobile D men like Vegas so PA went out and got him one. Why would they swap him for a much smaller less physical Tanev? Makes no sense.

• Vintage 1