Nikita Zadorov | #91 | LD/RD

EliPeterson40

On 6/18/2024 at 2:06 PM, -AJ- said:

For how much?

I was thinking, that If our window is close to now (instead of 5-8) and not hurting the future of our team with too many overage players signed in 6 years, that if the money and term is too rich for us to sign Z, that they could turn to a cheaper shorter term with 33 yr old Dillon as an option?

Making $2.87 opens up cap for others to be signed

In the last 3 years Dillon has actually proved to be more involved in the physical side of the game compared to Big Z, with more hits and blocks , also Dillon has considerably more fights during his NHL career with a 87-30 edge.

1 hour ago, Ballisticsports said:

I was thinking, that If our window is close to now (instead of 5-8) and not hurting the future of our team with too many overage players signed in 6 years, that if the money and term is too rich for us to sign Z, that they could turn to a cheaper shorter term with 33 yr old Dillon as an option?

Making $2.87 opens up cap for others to be signed

In the last 3 years Dillon has actually proved to be more involved in the physical side of the game compared to Big Z, with more hits and blocks , also Dillon has considerably more fights during his NHL career with a 87-30 edge.

I thought Dillon was tougher.  But when I watched his fights on Hockeyfights.com, unfortunately, he's losing most of them (espeically against any experienced fighters).  I think the only reason he has more fights than Zadorov is because Z is younger and very few players in this leagua are willing to fight him!  I would much rather have Z back than Dillon, although Dillon would be an ok second choice if we can't sign Z (at least better than some other D who never fights).

Seems silly to me to only just come up to 5m. He's worth at least 5.5x5. 

He was arguably our best D in the playoffs and a solid top 4 D reg season. Dillon may be cheaper, but he's no big Z. 

3 hours ago, Hammertime said:

Seems silly to me to only just come up to 5m. He's worth at least 5.5x5. 

He was arguably our best D in the playoffs and a solid top 4 D reg season. Dillon may be cheaper, but he's no big Z. 

Except as a 29 year old with a decade of nhl experience Big Z has always been a bottom pairing guy. He’s not going to play ahead of Hughes and Soucy. So he’s a bottom pairing guy with us too. 
IMHAO it’s not about the dollars. We offered enough. It’s about the role. Big Z wants opportunity to play top four. He will go to a club that can provide that. Utah? 

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

5 hours ago, Alflives said:

Except as a 29 year old with a decade of nhl experience Big Z has always been a bottom pairing guy. He’s not going to play ahead of Hughes and Soucy. So he’s a bottom pairing guy with us too. 
IMHAO it’s not about the dollars. We offered enough. It’s about the role. Big Z wants opportunity to play top four. He will go to a club that can provide that. Utah? 

Is he a top 4 in Utah now?  Not sure he is. 
‘If that’s what matters most he should go to Toronto and be their top D🤣🤣

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Alflives said:

He will absolutetly play ahead of Soucy. Don't be silly ALF. We saw what he can do on this team. He's easily our #3 D

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...
21 hours ago, Rip The Mesh said:

I simply can't see that it was so far apart, both parties could have, should got this one done.

Not to be rude, but this pisses me off!

I don't think he's lying when he said that the Canucks were initially his first choice. But, it's also clear he was chasing a payday. The first Canucks offer from before the playoffs was also before he upped his game in the playoffs. I believe it was reported to be $4.25M by 4 years which honestly was pretty fair for a #5/borderline #4 defenseman.

However, he was clearly chasing more and started to become interested in what other teams were interested. With the Canucks final offer supposedly being $5Mx5 the only reason it makes sense that he took the Bruins' offer for one more year was because he already made up his mind that he was more interested in playing for Boston. There's nothing that said he had to stay loyal to Vancouver, but I also have a bit of an issue with him now trying to spin it differently.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

I don't think he's lying when he said that the Canucks were initially his first choice. But, it's also clear he was chasing a payday. The first Canucks offer from before the playoffs was also before he upped his game in the playoffs. I believe it was reported to be $4.25M by 4 years which honestly was pretty fair for a #5/borderline #4 defenseman.

However, he was clearly chasing more and started to become interested in what other teams were interested. With the Canucks final offer supposedly being $5Mx5 the only reason it makes sense that he took the Bruins' offer for one more year was because he already made up his mind that he was more interested in playing for Boston. There's nothing that said he had to stay loyal to Vancouver, but I also have a bit of an issue with him now trying to spin it differently.

That last sentence about the allurement of the big bad Bruins I think nails it. Hell, I though he'd re-up with the Canucks

• Like 1

It wasn’t a lack of interest that prevented the Vancouver Canucks from signing Nikita Zadorov this summer.

The hulking defenceman has revealed in a new interview with the Responsible Gambling Council’s Daria Tuboltseva that the Canucks were his “first choice” in free agency.

The Canucks acquired Zadorov mid-season, and he impressed a lot of people with his play. However, the team and the unrestricted free agent were unable to agree on a new contract, and he eventually signed with the Boston Bruins.

The 6-foot-6 blueliner agreed to a six-year, $30 million contract with the Bruins in free agency. It’s been reported that he turned down multiple offers from the Canucks before picking the Bruins, including one valued at the same $5 million per season but which likely wasn’t for as many years.

The Bruins also signed ex-Canucks free agent Elias Lindholm in another expensive deal worth more than $50 million.

With Zadorov admitting that the Canucks were his top pick, it’s logical that they could’ve kept the defenceman had they matched the Bruins offer. It seems that’s something they were not willing to do.

“We disagreed on the details before the playoffs and postponed the negotiations,” said Zadorov to Tuboltseva. “After the playoffs, when I was in Vancouver, we tried to reach an agreement, but unfortunately, it didn’t work.”

The Russian became a fan-favourite in Vancouver during the team’s 2024 playoff run. He scored eight points in just 13 games and was responsible for many memorable moments throughout the postseason.

The impressive playoff run definitely helped him earn a larger deal on the open market.

The team attempted to replace the bruising player’s size and physicality in free agency with the acquisitions of the 6-foot-4 Derek Forbort and the 6-foot-7 Vincent Desharnais.  The two players will combine to make less than Zadorov will next season.