NBA / Toronto Raptors

Rubik

21 hours ago, runningback33 said:

Celtics swept the Pacers…

now Dallas can sweep Minnesota Tonight..

Finals begin Thursday June 6

Watched the last couple of games between the Celts and Pacers. This could have been a long series, if Indy could close out a game....

The good news is, it looks like Team Canada might have another star on the squad. Andrew Nembhard looked fantastic in that series....especially after Haliburton went down with an injury....

• Upvote 1

https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/40256748/caitlin-clark-fever-edge-angel-reese-sky-first-home-win

Reserve Chennedy Carter had a game-high 19 points for the Sky, but also drew attention with a play toward the end of the third quarter when she shoulder checked Clark before the basketball was inbounded. The call was not reviewed and was deemed a common foul.

When asked about the play afterward, Carter said "next question" and declined to address the foul.

"It is what it is," Clark said. "I feel like I'm just at the point where you accept it and don't retaliate. ... I'm trying not to let it bother me."

Sides said the Fever have been sending plays where Clark has been "getting hammered" to the league for review. She said the team will probably do so again after Carter's foul.

Later Saturday, in addressing the league in a post on X, Sides called Carter's foul on Clark "unacceptable" and wrote, "When will the consistent complaints be heard?!? Something has to be done!"

In her postgame interview Saturday, Sides lauded Clark for keeping her composure through all the physical play this season.

10 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Yeah, I can't bring myself to root for any Boston team. 

I was a Red Sox fan back in the day....Fred Lynn is still my all time favorite player.....

But that was before the Jays joined the league and had a lot to do with how much I hated the Yankees....

Not sure if anyone is following (or even cares about) the WNBA, but USA Basketball has just shot themselves in the foot by leaving Caitlin Clark off the Paris Olympic team.

Now, the Americans will still be the heavy favorites to win gold and they still have plenty of talent, but if the goal was to have the competition ignored, (just as it has been in every previous Olympics) USA basketball just achieved that goal.

A lot of WNBA players resent the amount of attention that CC is getting, but the fact is, that attention is being transferred to the league itself and had Clark been included on the Olympic roster, it would also have garnered a ton of interest in Paris.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but I wonder if other members of the team had a hand in keeping CC off the roster? There certainly seems to be a lot of jealousy flying around....

It would represent a massive pay increase BUT he would lose the chance at history and the job security he has earned at UConn. 

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nba/article/report-dan-hurley-rejects-lakers-offer-will-remain-at-uconn/

Report: Dan Hurley rejects Lakers offer, will remain at UConn

UConn-2-1040x572.jpg

• Thanks 1

Report: Ex-Lakers coach Ham to be Bucks' top assistant

https://www.tsn.ca/nba/ex-lakers-coach-darvin-ham-to-be-bucks-top-assistant-19.79348

Former Los Angeles Lakers coach Darvin Ham has agreed to join Milwaukee Bucks coach Doc Rivers' staff as the top assistant, sources told ESPN on Monday.

Ham, whom the Lakers dismissed after going 94-70 with a trip to the Western Conference finals in two seasons, returns to a Bucks franchise where he had spent four seasons and was a part of the 2021 NBA championship season.

Edited by runningback33

The logo has passed away.  HOF player and soon to be HOF contributor.  The first person to be in the HOF as both a player and a contributor.

https://sports.yahoo.com/nba-legend-jerry-west-dies-at-age-86-134646038.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cucmVkZGl0LmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAGB_TIsM217rsRrnvXBoKC3Rv0C6fRHp3Q_f8YpjKes--A3BCsxvdu8bAgRxiE85QKsc0j127vYSGTSV6a5fIxwOfNuloB_DKgsrCGRC05w0JdHqytj9bYKDmKv3x4TU2WUZ4G1Ht8RKlW67jjpsLpclSTZQjzOlfvL5d3cmtB0m

NBA legend Jerry West dies at age 86

Jerry West, the inspiration for the NBA's logo, died peacefully at his home at the age of 86, the Los Angeles Clippers announced Wednesday.

One of basketball's most accomplished contributors, West was a staple of the sport across eight decades, winning nine championships as a player, scout, coach, executive and consultant. He was an architect of the Los Angeles Lakers' 10 titles in the 1980s and 2000s and an adviser to the dynastic Golden State Warriors.

Long before West established himself as arguably the greatest general manager in NBA history, he was among the league's first superstars. A legend of West Virginia high school and college basketball and co-captain of the 1960 U.S. Olympic men's basketball team, West made the All-Star Game each season of a 14-year career decorated with 12 All-NBA selections and five All-Defensive appearances, all for the Lakers.

He won a single title in nine trips to the NBA Finals, heartbreakingly losing six title series to Bill Russell's Boston Celtics, and West's Finals MVP award in 1969 remains the only time the honor has been bestowed on a member of the losing team. He averaged 37.9 points per game in a seven-game loss to the Celtics.

“He took a loss harder than any player I’ve ever known,” late and legendary Lakers broadcaster Chick Hearn once said of West. “He would sit by himself and stare into space. A loss just ripped his guts out.”

A trailblazing scoring guard and relentless competitor, West was a deadly shooter before the advent of the 3-point line, and his most famous shot came in the form of a 60-foot buzzer beater that sent Game 3 of the 1970 Finals into overtime against the New York Knicks. He joined Chamberlain and Oscar Robertson as the league's first 25,000-point scorers. West averaged 27 points, 6.7 points and 5.8 rebounds for his career.

"Jerry West was a basketball genius and a defining figure in our league for more than 60 years," NBA commissioner Adam Silver said. "He distinguished himself not only as an NBA champion and an All-Star in all 14 of his playing seasons, but also as a consummate competitor who embraced the biggest moments. He was the league’s first Finals MVP and made rising to the occasion his signature quality."

The late Hot Rod Hundley once described his fellow West Virginian and Lakers teammate as "the greatest competitor I've ever seen. I don't care what you're playing, he wants to win. His nickname was 'Mr. Clutch,' and he carried that moniker well, because every time we were in that situation, boom, he'd make that shot."

West's pursuit of perfection led him to unprecedented success as a decision-maker in NBA front offices, twice winning Executive of the Year honors. First as a scout and then as GM, he helped construct the five-time champion "Showtime" Lakers of the 1980s. Before leaving the Lakers in 2000, West signed Shaquille O'Neal and traded for Kobe Bryant's draft rights, laying the foundation for another five titles from 2000-10.

West spent five seasons running the Memphis Grizzlies before retiring as a full-time shot-caller at the age of 69 in 2007. He joined the Golden State Warriors as an executive board member in 2011, famously opposing a would-be 2014 trade of Klay Thompson for Kevin Love and recruiting Kevin Durant in the 2016 offseason. West left the Warriors after the second of their four championships in 2017 and joined the L.A. Clippers in the same capacity, contributing to the recruitment of Kawhi Leonard and trade for Paul George in July 2019.

West will be inducted into the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame in October as a contributor, making him the first person to be enshrined as both a player and a contributor. He was also awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom in 2019.

“Obviously, a great icon for the basketball world,” Mavericks center Daniel Gafford said Wednesday at Dallas’ shootaround before Game 3 of the 2024 NBA Finals. “You know, never really just knew too much about him, but just knew what he meant to the game of basketball, and of course, he’s our logo — you know, we see him every day. Just rest in peace to him, and we’ll always be in remembrance of somebody that just had so much of an impact on the basketball world.”

West's personal life was not as charmed as his basketball career. The son of a West Virginia coal mine electrician, he endured a troubled childhood haunted by the 1951 death of his older brother in the Korean War. West served as a mental health advocate in his later years, sharing his lifelong battle with depression in a New York Times best-selling 2011 memoir titled, "West by West: My Charmed, Tormented Life."

"The greatest honor a man can have is the respect and friendship of his peers. You have that more than any man I know," Russell told The Forum crowd on "Jerry West Night" in 1972. "Jerry, you are, in every sense of the word, truly a champion. If I could have one wish granted, it would be that you would always be happy."

One of West's five children, Jerry, is currently a professional scout for the Detroit Pistons.

• Sad 2

Once again, we saw the difference between the NBA and NHL is last night's game....

With 3 minutes to go and the Celts up by three, the zebras call Luka for a blocking foul, on what was pretty much a 50-50 call. To make it worse, it was LD's 6th, meaning the Mavs would be without their best player for the rest of the game if the call is upheld...

...it was...

If it was the NHL and the player was Connor McDavid, the refs would have found a way to make sure he stayed in the game....absolutely no doubt....

https://sports.yahoo.com/charles-barkley-announces-he-will-retire-from-broadcasting-after-2024-25-season-040143769.html

Charles Barkley announces he will retire from broadcasting after 2024-25 season

Longtime TNT broadcaster Charles Barkley dropped a stunning announcement after Game 4 of the NBA Finals on Friday, revealing he will retire from television after the 2024-25 NBA season.

Barkley made the announcement with little warning and plenty of emotion, explaining that he has discussed leaving TNT for other networks due to Warner Bros. Discovery's likely loss of NBA rights after next year, but ultimately decided he was ready to give up the microphone after one last season.

Barkley's explanation:

"There's been a lot of noise around our network the last few months. I just want to say, I talked to all the other networks, but I ain't going nowhere other than TNT. But I have made the decision myself, no matter what happens, next year is going to be my last year on television.

"I just want to say thank you to my NBA family. You guys have been great to me, my heart is full with joy and gratitude, but I'm going to pass the baton at the end of next year. I hope the NBA stays with TNT ... I'm not going to another network, but I'm going to pass the baton to Jamal Crawford or Vince Carter or you Steve [Smith], but next year, I'm just going to retire after 25 years."

Next season was already set to be the end of an era at TNT, with the network still on the verge of losing its NBA package to NBC. TNT could still theoretically try to match NBC's bid or negotiate a smaller deal with the league, but there have been indications from WBD head David Zaslav that the network will instead pursue cheaper deals in other sports, such as college football and tennis.

Barkley has been unhappy with the entire process and has made his displeasure known, describing his company's leaders as "clowns" and decrying what the change will mean for his "Inside the NBA" show. He reportedly had the right to opt out of his deal with TNT should the network lose its NBA rights and has gone as far as suggesting his production company could take over "Inside the NBA."

Instead, he will retire, ending a broadcasting career that has earned him just as many, if not more, fans than his Hall of Fame playing career with the Philadelphia 76ers, Phoenix Suns and Houston Rockets.

There is only one Charles Barkley

Barkley's career at TNT goes back to 2000, the season after he retired as a player. His run as a broadcaster included four Sports Emmys and no shortage of appearances elsewhere, most notably with his ill-fated "King Charles" show on CNN alongside Gayle King.

In the constantly shifting landscape of sports media, Barkley is a unique figure. Above all, he is known for his blunt honesty. If a player plays badly, he says he played badly. If he doesn't like a coach's decision, he says he didn't like the decision. If he is bothered by current events, he speaks out. There is no massaging of the truth, no attempt to save egos.

Sometimes that bluntness got Barkley in trouble, but it often made him one of the most entertaining personalities on television, further elevated by the chemistry with "Inside the NBA" co-hosts Ernie Johnson, Kenny Smith and Shaquille O'Neal. The quartet often created a feeling you were just watching four knowledgable friends trading jokes about basketball (and each other), and they were beloved as a result.

Barkley said he wants to pass the baton, but there's no way a person can replicate what he does on television. There may be someone out there who can draw in the amount of viewers Barkley attracted in some other way, but there is only one Charles Barkley.

On the bright side, he will soon have more time to further improve his golf game.

• Thanks 1

Watching the game yesterday I got the feeling that Boston wants to win the championship in Boston.

Their seeming lack of effort and missed shots was remarkable.

On the other hand, if Dallas comes out on Monday and does a similar beat-down on the Celtics in Boston then we've got ourselves a series.

But I expect Boston to wrap it up in Game 5.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, runningback33 said:

I don’t follow WNBA closely but looks like Reese and Clark are headlines again after their second meeting…Reese flagrant fouled Clark

https://www.tsn.ca/a-basketball-play-reese-disagrees-with-her-foul-of-clark-19.79632

And the aftermath shows the difference between the two players...Clark put it down to Reese trying to make a play on the ball, which just didn't work out....OTOH, Reese suggests that Clark gets favorable calls. :classic_dry:

I saw that replay. It's a flagrant. All day...every day....

• Upvote 2

Congrats to the Celts in what was probably the least surprising Big 4 final in decades.....Absolutely dominant team and I see them winning at least a couple more, if they can keep the band together.

Also, as difficult as it is to give credit to any Boston franchise, props to the Celtics for honoring Tim Wakefield before the game last night.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/tv/celebrity/late-tim-wakefield-honored-at-celtics-nba-championship-game-as-his-teen-daughter-accepts-on-his-behalf/ar-BB1osuBy?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=9533296595f6408584c1a57dbbd3c8f7&ei=90

Sources: Lakers hiring JJ Redick to four-year deal to coach team

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/40393973/sources-lakers-hiring-jj-redick-4-year-deal-coach

The Los Angeles Lakers have agreed to a four-year contract with JJ Redick to make him the franchise's next coach, sources told ESPN on Thursday.

Redick, an ESPN NBA analyst who played 15 years in the league, met with Lakers vice president and general manager Rob Pelinka and owner Jeanie Buss over the weekend, and conversations on the vacancy continued throughout the week, sources said.

Pelinka offered Redick the job Thursday morning, sources said.

Pelinka became sold on Redick's ability to connect with players and his basketball IQ and believes surrounding Redick with an elite coaching staff will help shorten his learning curve into his first coaching job, sources said.

Redick moved into the forefront of the search a week ago after the Lakers' pursuit of Connecticut coach Dan Hurley was ultimately rebuffed.

The Lakers offered Hurley a six-year, $70 million contract that he turned down early last week, sources said.

As Pelinka sought with Hurley, he still wants a teaching coach and staff who will prioritize the development of young players such as Max Christie, Austin Reaves and Rui Hachimura and can design a creative approach to featuring Anthony Davis on both ends of the floor, sources said.

Redick has a strong relationship with Lakers star LeBron James, with whom he co-hosts a basketball podcast.

Speaking of NBA coaches:

Pistons fire head coach 1 year after giving him richest deal in NBA history

A little more than one year ago, the Detroit Pistons made Monty Williams the richest head coach in NBA history, inking him to a six-year deal worth $78.5 million. Today, they are looking for someone else to take over.

After going an NBA-worst 14-68, which included a record 28-game losing streak, the Pistons fired Williams on Wednesday.

Head coaching contracts are guaranteed, which means Williams is still owed $65 million over the next five seasons.

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/pistons-fire-head-coach-1-year-after-giving-him-richest-deal-nba-history

:classic_ohmy:  :classic_blink:

Anyone watch the draft last night? I was flipping back and forth, so I could catch the Raptors' pick at #19....

The Raps took Ja'Kobe Walter, a guard from Baylor. (They didn't specify, but I get the impression he's more of a shooting guard than a point guard)

One thing struck me however, was his reaction when his name got called. Maybe I was reading too much into it, but I thought I saw a bit of a "Steve Francis" reaction from Walter. Hopefully, it was just emotion at being drafted, rather than disappointment.....:classic_unsure: