NBA / Toronto Raptors

Rubik

Doesn't really move the needle for me, but according to an article I read this morning, the Dubs have told Andrew Wiggins that he can't play for Canada at the Olympics. Apparently, they're trying to move him and his hefty contract and don't want to risk him being injured.

Although this is fairly standard stuff in the pros, one has to wonder if they'd have the stones to pull the same thing with Steph and Team USA?

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

The Raptors have opened the vault and re-signed both Scottie Barnes and Emmanuel Quickley....5 year deals for both.

Scottie gets $45 million per, while EQ gets $35 mil......

I actually like these deals.......that being said, I still haven't figured out why a rebuilding team needed to trade a 1st, two 2nds and Khem Birch for Jakob Poetl....:classic_wacko:

Edited by RupertKBD

• 2 weeks later...

NBA commissioner: Expansion process to begin 'in earnest' this fall

https://komonews.com/amp/news/local/nba-commissioner-expansion-process-to-begin-in-earnest-this-fall-seattle-supersonics-nba-basketball-climate-pledge-arena

SEATTLE —

NBA Commissioner Adam Silver suggested that the NBA will begin an expansion process “in earnest” this fall, and acknowledged that league owners approved part of the TV and digital rights deals.

Silver was careful in how he characterized the reported $76 billion deal, which reportedly includes Amazon.

"We did approve this stage of those media proposals," Silver said. "But as you all know, there are other rights that need to be worked through with existing partners.

"I will say in advance there’s going to be a fair amount that I’m not able to discuss yet about those media deals because they haven’t been finalized, but I look forward to talking more about those."

Silver has previously said that the league will turn to expansion after the deal is finalized and laid out another timeline for that process to begin. He has previously said Seattle and Las Vegas are markets of interest for the league.

When asked about expansion, Silver said:

“We’re not quite done with our media deals yet. But once we are, we will turn to consideration around expansion.

I will say it’s a bit more complicated than is suggested sometimes, because just think of the new media deals, for example. Once they’re completed, when you bring in new partners, you’re diluting those payments, of course, to teams. Sometimes it seems as if we’re printing money when we expand. Actually, it’s no different than selling equity in any business.

I think there needs to be a fair amount of modeling at the league office, working with existing owners, and really thinking through the long-term prospects, again not just economically but also for potential of dilution of talent.

Having said that, I think we will engage this fall in earnest in the process of making those determinations. Should we expand? If we were to expand, how many teams should we expand and what markets should we be looking at?”

Seattle has been without the NBA since 2008, when the city settled with Clay Bennett’s Sonics ownership group, allowing them to escape their KeyArena lease. They relocated to Oklahoma City.

Kraken owners David Bonderman and Samantha Holloway have publicly expressed their interest in bringing the NBA back to Seattle.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not sure about you guys, but personally I lost respect for Kevin Durant during these Olympic games.
From the perspective of his entire career, I think it's fair to label him a "winner" but with a major caveat: unlike the true greats, he hasn't really been the #1 when he has won, but he's been that ringer on a stacked team that pushes them over the top, otherwise they can't win because he doesn't have it in him to carry his team to titles.  When he won in GSW Steph was the engine; same goes for this Olympics, LeBron and Curry were the guys and he was the microwave scorer role player.  Of course, he is at an all-time level when it comes to his shooting, but again he's not the guy who can singlehandedly bring his team to titles, otherwise what happened in Brooklyn, OKC and Phoenix?  My problem with him is that he's a great scorer but he's not even the face of a winner, but he talks loudly like he is, when you don't see the true greats talk so much trash.  Sure, Denver fans want to praise Joker for how great he's been consistently and rightfully so, but why does he feel the need to respond?  Until you've won an MVP and cemented your legacy beyond being just a pure scorer who can't win on his own, it might be better to keep your mouth shut.  They're 4th in the world with Joker at the helm; if KD had to carry his own team like Giannis does in Greece (they're 14th), I'm doubtful that on his own he can carry his team to that level, when his play is so one-dimensional.  His scoring is great but he's really got to dial back on the ego.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

How Angel Reese is having a Dennis Rodman effect for the Sky: Stats and play style similarities | Sporting News Canada
Lmao first the ROTY contention accolades (for having a double double... when she grabs her own misses; if Caitlin Clark wasn't whyte she'd have that award in the bag), and now she's Rodman??  She's a strong defender for sure but can't help but think she's just a bit overhyped.